X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Patrick76777
    • Jul 2002

Bizarre Preseason Trends.

I saw the guys on the Packer broadcast compare the Packers preseason records to their regular season records. They showed that in years where the Pack only won 0 or 1 preseason games the Pack averaged something like 6.6 regular season wins. And if they won 2 games in went up to 9 wins and if they won 3 or more preseason games the pack was at something like 11 regular season wins.

So I tried it with us. Buffalo fans are funny because when it comes to preseason records we always point to 1990 when we went 0-4 and went to the SB. But I wanted to see if we would have similar numbers. This is what I found.

Since 1978 when the league went to 4 (sometimes 5) preseason games, down from 6, The Bills have won 0 preseason games 5 times. In those 5 seasons, they’ve averaged 7 wins a season. If you take out the 1990 season that average drops to 5.5

Since 1978 the Bills have only won a single preseason game 8 times, in those 8 seasons they averaged 7.75 regular season wins.

In the same time span the Bills have won 2 preseason games 9 times, in those 9 seasons they averaged 9.44 wins. This number includes the 2001 season in which they only had 3 wins. Without this season, the Bills averaged 10.25 wins a season.

And this is where is gets weird. When the Bills win 3 preseason games, which they’ve done 5 times they only average 7 wins a year.

The Bills have never won all 4 preseason games since 1978.

It works until we hit the 3 win mark. So I guess we should aim for 2 wins. Unless we want to go for the great unknown and 4 wins.

I just thought you might think this was cool.
    Resign our own guys!
  • casdhf
    • Jul 2002

Re: Bizarre Preseason Trends.

Good research!!
    Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
    cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• Patrick76777
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Patrick76777
      I saw the guys on the Packer broadcast compare the Packers preseason records to their regular season records. They showed that in years where the Pack only won 0 or 1 preseason games the Pack averaged something like 6.6 regular season wins. And if they won 2 games in went up to 9 wins and if they won 3 or more preseason games the pack was at something like 11 regular season wins.

So I tried it with us. Buffalo fans are funny because when it comes to preseason records we always point to 1990 when we went 0-4 and went to the SB. But I wanted to see if we would have similar numbers. This is what I found.

Since 1978 when the league went to 4 (sometimes 5) preseason games, down from 6, The Bills have won 0 preseason games 5 times. In those 5 seasons, they’ve averaged 7 wins a season. If you take out the 1990 season that average drops to 5.5

Since 1978 the Bills have only won a single preseason game 8 times, in those 8 seasons they averaged 7.75 regular season wins.

In the same time span the Bills have won 2 preseason games 9 times, in those 9 seasons they averaged 9.44 wins. This number includes the 2001 season in which they only had 3 wins. Without this season, the Bills averaged 10.25 wins a season.

And this is where is gets weird. When the Bills win 3 preseason games, which they’ve done 5 times they only average 7 wins a year.

The Bills have never won all 4 preseason games since 1978.

It works until we hit the 3 win mark. So I guess we should aim for 2 wins. Unless we want to go for the great unknown and 4 wins.

I just thought you might think this was cool.

Bump
      Resign our own guys!

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
        • Jul 2002

I don't what I should root for pat!

Comment

• Night Train
          Retired - On Several Levels
          • Jul 2005

Wow. I just remembered. When I drink 4 beers, I rarely turn down a 5th.

This trend thing has merit !
          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Dozerdog
            In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
            • Jul 2002

Let's go 4-0.. We have never gone 4-0, but then again, we have never won a Super Bowl either.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
              • May 2003

This is really not so much a trend as a set of anomalous results. It simply shows that preseason records mean very little.
              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Patrick76777
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                This is really not so much a trend as a set of anomalous results. It simply shows that preseason records mean very little.
                I don't know. It worked for the packers also. I think the numbers were as follows

0-1 Preseason wins = 6.6 wins
                2 Preseason wins = 9.5 wins
                3+ Preseaon wins was something like 11.4 wins.

Last year we won our first PS game and lost the next three. That carried over to 4 straight RS losses.

And this is coming from someone who use to bang his shoe on the desk screaming that PS was meaningless.

I'm still not putting a ton into it but there's something to be said for developing a winning attitude.
                Resign our own guys!

Comment

• G. Host
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2002

I think preseason results have more to do with 3rd string and cut players - players which give more trying to make the roster; a team with good preseason results has good depth but teams which falter in preseason still have time to get those players still on squad ready before needed.

When you have Veteran QBs as backups (Holcomb, Matthews) you will tend to have better results as well so they skew results.

Mobile QBs tend to do better in preseason for teams do not deploy schemes against scrambling QBs like they do during preseasons.

Comment

Working...
                  X