X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alohabillsfan
    • Sep 2003

Is Clements worth the $$$$$$$$$$

I really hate to pay that kind of cash to 1 player I think it hurts the retention of other upcoming players. Here is my prediction,

Franchise him and trade (ala Peerless) to the Washington Redskins (re-united with GW) Snyder throw around the $$$ and it's atleast in another conferance. Plus it should be around the 10 spot based upon nothing scientific just a wild a$$ guess. that would give TD 2 #1's a #2 and 2 #3's to work with! I see a team being built for the long hall and you can't keep them all! Your thoughts?
  • footballhottie
    • Feb 2005

Re: Is Clements worth the $$$$$$$$$$

why not? hes a great player and thats what he wants...we should give it to him

The OG attention whore. 18 Billszone years strong

Comment

• AndreReed83
      Dink or dunk, Mularkey just plain stunk.
      • Mar 2004

Nate Clements is, imo, the best all around CB in the league. He needs to stay.

"Look it up Thurman!!!" ~Marv Levy~
      "It's like someone walking into your house and punching your mother RIGHT in the the face." ~Darryl Talley ~

Comment

• Captain Obvious
        I can feel your anger.I can feel your hate. Give in to the DARK SIDE! With every neg you become MINE
        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by alohabillsfan
        I really hate to pay that kind of cash to 1 player I think it hurts the retention of other upcoming players. Here is my prediction,

Franchise him and trade (ala Peerless) to the Washington Redskins (re-united with GW) Snyder throw around the $$$ and it's atleast in another conferance. Plus it should be around the 10 spot based upon nothing scientific just a wild a$$ guess. that would give TD 2 #1's a #2 and 2 #3's to work with! I see a team being built for the long hall and you can't keep them all! Your thoughts?
        If your talking 63 million for 7 years with an 18 million signingbonus, which is what Champ Bailey got last year; I say no. If I'm TD I just can't give him that kind of contract. I like the idea for franchising him and trading him, but Washington has already traded their 1st round pick next year to Denver.
        I'm pretty sure the Redskins will have over 20 million $ in dead cap space next year, can't see them giving Clements the kind of contract he wants.

Here to point out the obvious....

Comment

• Crisis
          • Aug 2004

HELL YES he's worth it.

The guy is like a linebacker in run support and the best CB in coverage.

IMO he's way better than Winfield was in run support, and 100000x better than he was in coverage.
          Originally posted by LOSman WINS
          Vanek is Austrian not European
          Originally posted by Prov401
          Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
          Originally posted by better days
          I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• kevinj22
            • Feb 2005

Pat Williams (nah), Jonas(nah) Nate Clements (YOU DAMN RIGHT). This guy is a shut down corner and a superb tackler. Let's not forget his special teams play. I say we pay him what he wants, it's not like we have a gaping hole to fill via free agency next year.

Comment

• camelcowboy
              • Mar 2005

yeah, have to keep him. He's one of the best at his postion. You can't find diamonds in the rough for every player your about to loose. You have to open the check book, up for him and Mcgee. Both are young, talented and a stength of this team.

Comment

• Marvelous
                • Feb 2004

Umm guys theres a reason why we could get a high 1st for him. We paid a 20th overall to drafdt him and is the best CB in the league. Nobody wuill argue that he is not top 3-5 atleast. He is young and the kind of player we build the whole defense around. Screw the picks. We cut someone if it comes down to it because he is that good of a --
                -shutdown corner
                -tackler. He is one of the best tacklers on the team.
                -Hands/ints
                -Punt returner
                You telling me someone with a 2 mill contract shouldn't be cut to keep him?

*I know the Nate Clements type, they wan't the biggest contract just so they get that recognition for being the best. But we could backload the piss outta the deal and have a somewhat cap friendly deal for the first 3 years.
                GO BILLS!!! NE
                Magical Trevor

Comment

• Night Train
                  Retired - On Several Levels
                  • Jul 2005

While I'd like to keep him, he may price himself off this team. You can't blame the players for going for the big $$ when they achieve UFA status. If Nate is seeking close to what Baily is paid, then he's gone. I wouldn't hold any ill will towards TD for making that decision. I'm sure he's trying to sign him to a reasonable offer but won't overpay.
                  Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• ryjam282
                    Offical Billszone Starting QB
                    • Mar 2003

I agree with CamelCowboy on this one. I just don't think we can keep letting these top talents leave us and keep hoping that our #2's can step it up and not miss a beat. We got lucky in the past and it doesn't happen every single time. It may happen in Denver with RB's but great CB's aren't as frequent. I think we should pay him what he wants, bargain with him at first and see if he caves to something TD wants to give him and if not we have to give him the farm. According to what other CB's are getting, he is worth it IMO.

Ryan Withey
                    Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• colin
                      Drew's my hero!
                      • Jul 2002

TD and co think they can find solid palyers all over the place, and they have done so.

they also feel they can get good players for not too much, london, Vincent, sam adams, posey even spikes.

so we have the foundation, we need super stars to elevate us beyond that. that is what clements is, no corner drafted since is half the player clements is, and he is a beast hitting as well. if he slows down in 8 years, he will be the best FS in the NFL. i see him as the next rod woodson, it is worth keeping him on at a huge price.

one thing i notice about TD and co, they tend not to super backload contracts as much as say the skins do. they sign players to contracts they have a decent chance of playing out, which gives us credibility. champ is going to get cut at some point, everyone who ever signed with denver gets cut, players and agents know this and i think we will be able to fit clements in under the cap.

Comment

• Sportsuser101
                        • Feb 2005

Clements is arguably the best cornerback in football. He's 25 years, has been a model citizen and hasn't not started a game since he came into the league. As a bonus he can return punts if Parrish were to go down. Pay the man.
                        Dareus - 1st Round Pick

Comment

• dannyek71
                          Drink Responsibly
                          • Dec 2004

I dont see us trading him for a first round pick. He is about the same talent as surtain, and mia only got a 2nd for him.

If we could get a #10 pick for him however, id take it

Corners are overrated, NE won it all last year and they had troy brown playing there
                          [

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                            Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by dannyek71
                            I dont see us trading him for a first round pick. He is about the same talent as surtain, and mia only got a 2nd for him.
                            Absolutely nonsense.

Clements is by far better than Surtain, even Bailey.

Fork it up for the man.

Comment

• AndreReed83
                              Dink or dunk, Mularkey just plain stunk.
                              • Mar 2004

Hell, Clements is way better then Bailey. You know why Bailey made 81 tackles last year? Because Champ got beat, A LOT. I remember CBSSportsLine.com talked about how Clements barely made it to the superbowl (as an alternate, I do believe) yet was more then deserving compared to Champ and some other AFC Cornerback. He used the fact that they all played against Chad Johnson and while Clements had absolutely monster game against him, these two other corners contributed to well over 1/4 of Chad's 1200 yards receivings and over half of his touchdowns.

"Look it up Thurman!!!" ~Marv Levy~
                              "It's like someone walking into your house and punching your mother RIGHT in the the face." ~Darryl Talley ~

Comment

Working...
                              X