PDA

View Full Version : I'm sold on Lionel Gates

Mr. Miyagi
08-21-2005, 07:51 PM
The kid looked strong, fast, and determined. I'm sold on him.

Crisis
08-21-2005, 07:55 PM
Me too. But I still take Shaud over Gates.

Mr. Miyagi
08-21-2005, 08:01 PM
Why? Gates looked awesome. Not only he's bigger than Shaud, he's got more moves. Did you see that spin move he put on?

The Spaz
08-21-2005, 08:26 PM
I hope we keep Shaud, Gates, Goldsberry cut Lee and Burns.:up:

mysticsoto
08-21-2005, 08:45 PM
I hope we keep Shaud, Gates, Goldsberry cut Lee and Burns.:up:
I don't feel like Goldsberry is ready yet. I'd keep Shaud, Gates and Lee and cut Burns and PS Goldsberry.

Kerr
08-21-2005, 08:57 PM
Between Gates and Shaud, it's going to be a tight race.

ShadowHawk7
08-21-2005, 10:55 PM
So you want to keep 5 backs on the 53 roster? I wouldn't mind that. I think Lee may be on the bubble if he doesn't continue to impress on special teams. Was Shaud injured yesterday? I saw him on ST, but he never ran. Gates is pretty sweet, and could probably play backup FB as well with his size. With the lineup we have, I think we could have a potential trio not unlike the Packers top 3 backs

Packers
Feature back: A. Green
Power back: N. Davenport
Scat back/change of pace: T. Fisher

Bills
Feature back: Mcgahee
Power: Gates
Scat: Williams

That would be pretty cool IMO.

LifetimeBillsFan
08-22-2005, 01:55 AM
I think you keep both Shaud and Gates and use them for different purposes.

As I see it, Shaud is a great "change of pace" back in the mode of a Dave Meggett, James Brooks, etc. He's a guy you can use between the 20s when you want to give Willis a break and change the tempo of your offense up a little.

Gates, on the other hand, is a guy that you can use to run your regular offense with when you want to take Willis out for a breather or because you've got a big lead and don't want to over-extend him. Gates is a guy that you can use anywhere on the field and that you would use to replace Willis in your regular offense if he gets nicked up.

Right now, I think it comes down to Lee, Burns and Goldsbury for one spots and that performance on STs will determine which one makes the roster. The Bills really don't need another KR, so Lee is going to have to prove that he can do the things that Burns does for the team on STs to overcome the fact that Burns can also back-up Shelton at FB. But, with Gates potentially able to play FB as well, that gives Lee a shot. I think Goldsbury will probably end up being stashed on the PS as an insurance policy at FB if the Bills cut Burns.

vicmantak
08-22-2005, 02:25 AM
Bills really need to maintain their ST dominance so I don't see any significant reason to cut Burns but... Bills are really "thin" at SS and if they are NOT planning to release Coy Wire... Burns seems to be the one who will be out of the play.

On one hand, I see Rashard Lee as the player to be released because there are several factors against him: viable RBs still on FA and a possible bargain during the 53 man roster period.

On the other hand, I'm not completely sold on Gates. He can easily be moved to the PS (during his develpment) than Shaud Williams (who is on his prime...)

chubluv
08-22-2005, 02:47 AM
Does anyone think R.Lee will be traded like we traded away Olandis Gary a couple of years ago?

clumping platelets
08-22-2005, 03:24 AM
He's still behind S. Williams IMO, but he has moved ahead of Burns

Night Train
08-22-2005, 03:31 AM
The kid looked strong, fast, and determined. I'm sold on him.
I couldn't agree more. Watching from the stands Saturday, I was very impressed. He's got a build identical to Willis and just runs through tackles, in addition to having some ability to hit the hole fast and cut. I don't think there is any set ranking behind Willis and the backup position is completely up for grabs. This guy looks much better than the rest.

EDS
08-22-2005, 07:27 AM
I hope the back-up running back position is a complete non-issue this year!

Mr. Miyagi
08-22-2005, 07:45 AM
I hope the back-up running back position is a complete non-issue this year!
Unless there's a plague of injuries, I think we're in good shape.

Turf
08-22-2005, 08:08 AM
Personally I think Williams is too small and will never amount to a significant RB in the NFL. I would keep Gates and Lee.

Sportsuser101
08-22-2005, 08:41 AM
I've been impressed with Gates from day 1. He has done everything and more you could ask for out of him. As of right now I think he deserves the backup spot.

HHURRICANE
08-22-2005, 08:41 AM
I don't feel like Goldsberry is ready yet. I'd keep Shaud, Gates and Lee and cut Burns and PS Goldsberry.Agree!!

casdhf
08-22-2005, 08:58 AM
Shaud has been too impressive anytime he's on the field to cut just based on his size.

Mr. Miyagi
08-22-2005, 09:46 AM
No I don't want Williams cut. He's smallish but definitely talented.

Willis
Gates
Shaud
Burns (behind Shelton as FB)

The_Philster
08-22-2005, 04:19 PM
Shaud bulked up in the offseason..added more muscle...looking physically more like Travis than he does the old Shaud, IMO