PDA

View Full Version : Should we extend GW's contract?

PA Season Ticket Holder
01-01-2003, 07:39 PM
Do you believe in coaches entering a season with 1 year left on their contract?

Do you think it would help or hinder our team in 2003 if GW doesn't get an extension?

The players seem to like him and maybe that would make them play even harder to keep him there.

The thing I'm worried about the most is it might hurt FA's we might pursue. If might lead them some place else if they don't have stability at the HC position.

Just something to ponder...

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/sports/bills/0101story1_bills.shtml?0101story1_bills.shtml

ublinkwescore
01-01-2003, 08:55 PM
I'll wait till the end of next season before I answer that.

I get pissed off when I see my team only at 8-8, and I know that we've got the talent to where we should be playing either this week, or next week.

But at the same time, I know that Gregg Williams has jumped onto Henry's case for fumbling, still Henry's got fumblitus -
for that he doesn't deserve to catch hell - he's not there to tell henry "ok, you're about to get hit now, so put both arms around the football, and squeeze it into your body as tightly as you can" when Henry is running the ball.

I think Gregg Williams has his strengths and his weaknesses just like anyone else - His weaknesses being poor decisions - like going for 2 points in the minny game, and challenging at stupid times, and not challenging when he should have - but his strengths are that this team does play for him, they respect him, he gets them to give their best effort, and he did take us from 3-13 to 8-8 and back to respectability - except for when we play the Patriots and the Jets (even though I think if we had stopped Chad Morton before he got to the Jets 40, we would have won that game). Hopefully we'll at least split with the pats next year after we've got some talent on the D that will knock Brady on his spoiled little rich kid @$$.

The Jury's still out because you guys gotta remember this was a team that was merely gelling - if we don't get to at least the divisional playoffs next season, then it's "Sorry Gregg, you gotta go pal - no hard feelings".

DIHARD2
01-01-2003, 09:34 PM
I think by the middle of next season this decision will be made for us. Do I feel he should have another year? I feel he should have at least a half a year to prove himself with the team of his choice. Last year the team he had was shoved on half from the previous administration. This year he had his own offense at least a choice in the players. But this off-season he gets to pick his defense.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

Novacane
01-01-2003, 09:38 PM
They can extend it if it and still fire him if he blows next year. It's Ralphs money.

BillsNYC
01-01-2003, 09:43 PM
not this offseason...let him go ball out and amke him win thisyear..if not...hes gone and we get a new coach!

Dozerdog
01-01-2003, 11:17 PM
He's done nothing to warrant an extension yet. I wish it was up this season- I want Tom Coughlin

PA Season Ticket Holder
01-01-2003, 11:19 PM
I like GW but I admit I'd love to have Coughlin

German
01-01-2003, 11:45 PM
I'm with Dihard on this one.

Give him 8 games with a team of his choosing.
If he does alright extend his contract.
If he blows chase him out of Buffalo and don't wait until the season is over to do so.

The_Philster
01-02-2003, 04:46 AM
Same here. We don't want a lame duck coach but he hasn't done enough to warrant an estension. At the bye week, Donahoe can talk extension with him if he's done well enough.

LABillsFan
01-03-2003, 02:01 AM
It's a tough call, the Bills were 5-3 this year at the half way point with wins against Minn, Chi, Det, Hous and Miami. These teams were terrible, but the record looked good to lamen. TD should look at the schedual and realize that it is a tougher one than this years. I can see the fans wanting a better record than this year, but an 8-8 record next year is better than an 8-8 record this year in terms of progress and ranking only. It's almost a guarenteed that the Bills will be playing the superbowl champs again next year, and considering Tenn, Indy, Jetsx2 Philly, the Giants are a heck of a lot better than GB,Den, NE,KC, tie with Oak let's not forget Dallas, yes Dallas with tuna, it has the making of a VERY difficult schedual. There are alot of teams with more money than the Bills so TD has to make the team more attractive with less money to get some big time players to compete.
I don't think you can extend the contract or fire GW in the middle of the season. If there is a change I think it should be at the end of next season. Those teams I mentioned are good and they have good coaches, next year is the year we find out where GW ranks, but he should have the entire year to prove himself. If the Bills start out 0-4 what I said gets thrown out though and never mentioned.

Historian
01-03-2003, 08:15 AM
Get rid of him...he's as useless as a coat with no arms!

People have a very short memory. This guy took over a Wade team that was 8-8 and according to most "only needed a little discipline" to become a contender. He strolls into town, dismantles the NFL's #3 defense, spouts all kinds of gibberish about a 4-6, a WCO, and DISCIPLINE! Discipline????What gall!!! Two years later, This is the least disciplined team in all of pro sports. Our wide receivers get flagged for personal fouls for cripes sakes. The acquisition of Bledsoe and Fletcher ALONE should have resulted in four more wins....at least. Dump this guy, and all his high school assistants, and get somebody with some experience.
Last year I said, hey, why not try to get Parcells? People wrote..."He's not available'. HORSEHOCKEY!!!! He's not available at Ralph Wilson's bargain basement salary is the problem! So what do the Bills do? They find the cheapest stiff out there to coach the team, despite the results on the field.

I can tell you right now, he isn't going anywhere. Wilson is too cheap to pay a guy to sit at home, and pay another one to coach the team. (Trying to stiff Wade out of the last year of his salary is evidence enough of that!)

If Williams stays, I go. I will not renew my seats next year, or anytime soon until they make a serious committment to winning. That starts at the top. We shouldnt have to sit through a home opener where the opponent returns TWO kos for TDs, including a gamewinner in OT. That, IMO, is unconscienable.

doug45
01-03-2003, 09:30 AM
No, not at this time.

Earthquake Enyart
01-03-2003, 09:31 AM
One word.

Hell no.

Oh, wait, that's 2 words.

lordofgun
01-03-2003, 09:56 AM
MAybe Coughlin will still be available next year. I hope we'll have such a great season next year that we can give GW an extension though.

Earthquake Enyart
01-03-2003, 10:27 AM
Maybe Coughlin will go on ESPN like Parcells. Bet he ***** slaps Sharpe and Young to get them to shut the :madcurse: up.

mackey789
01-03-2003, 12:18 PM
well since i recieved season tickets for next season for christmas, and i havnt picked my seats out yet, let me know where your seats are that you are not renewing and i'll gladly take em off your hands. GO BILLS!

LABillsFan
01-03-2003, 12:36 PM
GW wasn't the guy put in charge of the cap situation. TD had a team that was getting old and there was little money to upgrade. That being said the Bills go 3-13 and back to 8-8, a team with a lot of youth, a team with a lot of potential, a team with money to spend, a team that is attractive to FA's once again. IT was TD's and GW's job to rebuild and bring back respectability which I think they are doing, whether they maintain that push remains to be seen, but given the circumstances they have warrented at least one more year.

Look at where the players the The Bills let go are, Holacek? Wiley has been up and down, Flutie? RJ? Rogers? Irvin? Bruce? He's still whinning. Christie? Sheldon Jackson? That team was going nowhere and look what Butler has done in SD, win early and then fall apart, He's had 3 coaches and the same results. This has been the best thing for the Bills and for the fans.

German
01-04-2003, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by lordofgun
MAybe Coughlin will still be available next year.

Doubtfull. Looks like he wants to get back in it asap.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/CIN/6097846