PDA

View Full Version : Some comments on the Indy/GB games....

OpIv37
08-22-2005, 09:26 AM
I was out of town so some of this may have been discussed already, but I watched tapes of both the games over the weekend and here are some observations.

-Penalties- we improved against GB, which is a good sign- I just hope more discipline can be imposed by the time the season starts.

-ST and Defense look unreal, not that it should surprise anyone at this point.

-Losman's making me nervous. He had a few balls tipped, missed a wide open Moulds against Indy, had the fumble and the stupid play for the safety (that was called back).... his decision-making isn't quite where it needs to be and it's giving him happy feet. My fear is that teams won't respect his ability and they'll put 8 in the box to stop McGahee just like they did early on last season.

-Ron Edwards looks terrble. He holds his ground but can't push the opposing linemen into the backfield and he doesn't make tackles. He looked alright in pass rushing situations.

-Jason Peters SUCKS. If Gandy goes down, we're probably going to have to move Teague to LT and play Preston or Tucker at Center.

-Who is our long snapper? The snaps on the FG's looked bad almost every time.

Now for some good stuff:
-I know they haven't been playing against the first team offenses, but Jabari Greer and Constantin Ritzman played great in both games. Eric King also looks decent.

-Lee Evans is great and I have no concerns about him replacing Moulds as our #1 when the time comes in the next year or 2.

-Gates, Williams and Lee all look decent. I think the competition has really motivating them.

-Who is George Wilson? I doubt he'll make the team cuz of our WR depth but he's definitely made some plays in preseason.

-Holcomb looks great and I have no concerns about him if he has to come in and play for Losman. He made a great move to avoid a sack against Indy.

-the first team O-line hasn't been spectacular but so far they've been good enough. Gandy continues to look like he can get the job done.

casdhf
08-22-2005, 10:06 AM
I actually think Peters and Ron Edwards have looked good.

DraftBoy
08-22-2005, 10:24 AM
Peters I think has good really good all things considering, however I am completely unimpressed by Edwards, while he doesnt get dominated he doesnt seem to have any leverage out there and does not collapse the pocket as much as need be on running plays. I see this has a lone sore spot on our D.

Gunzlingr
08-22-2005, 10:26 AM
local news outlets around here have been praising Losman :idunno:

OpIv37
08-22-2005, 10:43 AM

Peters I think has good really good all things considering, however I am completely unimpressed by Edwards, while he doesnt get dominated he doesnt seem to have any leverage out there and does not collapse the pocket as much as need be on running plays. I see this has a lone sore spot on our D.
Peters had like 2 penalties at the end of the GB game. I don't think he's getting completely dominated, but when he gets beat he panics and holds. It's only his second game at the position, so maybe he'll come around, but I hope we don't have to find out.

I agree with DB about Edwards.

To his credit, he seems to be learning from his mistakes and not making them twice. But he hasn't even attempted a long ball yet (over 20 yards) and sometimes he doesn't see open receivers, or his accuracy is just slightly off and it makes the ball get tipped.

McGahee420
08-22-2005, 11:13 AM
Peters had like 2 penalties at the end of the GB game. I don't think he's getting completely dominated, but when he gets beat he panics and holds. It's only his second game at the position, so maybe he'll come around, but I hope we don't have to find out.

I agree with DB about Edwards.

To his credit, he seems to be learning from his mistakes and not making them twice. But he hasn't even attempted a long ball yet (over 20 yards) and sometimes he doesn't see open receivers, or his accuracy is just slightly off and it makes the ball get tipped.
He did attempt one I believe, on the flea flicker that Josh Reed dropped. Sorry Josh, but I tihnk your days in Buffalo are numbered. Drew Haddad looked great though, and Ihope he makes the team. Kid puts 110% into everything.

JD
08-22-2005, 12:14 PM
He rarely plants his feet, making alot of his throws go high.

OpIv37
08-22-2005, 12:23 PM
He rarely plants his feet, making alot of his throws go high.

if that's the problem it should be easy for Wyche to fix. It probably has more to do with Losman being nervous and not taking the time to set properly. I realize sometimes it's not his fault because there's a linebacker about to flatten him, but he needs to learn to recognize when he has time to set up before making the throw.

Also, one thing I forgot to mention- I love the bootleg right plays. They get Losman away from the line and give him the opportunity to use his legs when necessary.

mysticsoto
08-22-2005, 01:05 PM
if that's the problem it should be easy for McNally to fix. It probably has more to do with Losman being nervous and not taking the time to set properly. I realize sometimes it's not his fault because there's a linebacker about to flatten him, but he needs to learn to recognize when he has time to set up before making the throw.

Also, one thing I forgot to mention- I love the bootleg right plays. They get Losman away from the line and give him the opportunity to use his legs when necessary.
McNally? I think you mean Wyche.

I think he'll learn to settle down more as time passes. I think he just gets overly excited. That will dampen as time passes...overall, I'm happy with his play this past week.

OpIv37
08-22-2005, 01:10 PM
McNally? I think you mean Wyche.
right- thanks. I'm so used to the O- line needing corrections that it's just become habit to say "McNally".

HHURRICANE
08-22-2005, 01:11 PM
I agree!! The Peters comment seems like it is in left field. If anything he has looked very solid.

mysticsoto
08-22-2005, 02:01 PM
right- thanks. I'm so used to the O- line needing corrections that it's just become habit to say "McNally".

:funny:

The_Philster
08-22-2005, 04:55 PM
.-Who is our long snapper? The snaps on the FG's looked bad almost every time. Dorenbos on the extra point after JP's TD, on Lindell's 41-tarder, extra point after Willis' TD (basically...the 1st half)
Duke Preston on both 54-yarders and the extra point following Gates' TD

Jan Reimers
08-22-2005, 06:52 PM
I'd love to see Preston beat out Dorenbos at LS, to free up a roster spot for an extra CB or WR - where we have so much talent.

the dude
08-22-2005, 07:04 PM
I'd love to see Preston beat out Dorenbos at LS, to free up a roster spot for an extra CB or WR - where we have so much talent.

It's interesting that the Packer TV announcers were talking about going after the kicks when Preston was snapping - they must have noticed a huge dropoff in how quickly the ball was getting back.

While I think having an exclusive long snapper is a luxury that seems harder to justify, I'm not sure you mess up the #1 special teams unit just to have a greater likelihood for a punt or field goal blocked.

Jan Reimers
08-23-2005, 07:45 AM
I agree, and know the value of a reliable long snapper. I'm just hoping that Preston can get enough velocity and accuracy on his snaps to supplant Dorenbos. If not, we definitely need to keep Dorenbos.

Meathead
08-23-2005, 09:13 AM
I've been very impressed with Losman, much to my surprise given his tender years, but I would like to point out that the local media praised Gary Marangi in the preseason.