PDA

View Full Version : Rantings and Ravings...

venis2k1
01-01-2003, 09:16 PM
excuse me while I rant and rave about the Seasons past...

On london Fletcher:

Just a few weeks ago i found myself somewhat dissapointed in what Fletch had done over the past few months...until i looked at his numbers. He very quietly put up great numbers, and a big body at DT infront of him will make him an elite LB.

He finished 3rd in the NFL in tackles(149)!!! only behind Z. Thomas(156) and Brian Urlacher(152). Thats only 7 behind the leader. (better than Cowert i might add)

You could say that this is because of our fast scoring Offense, and our Soft Defense, But if you look at the stats most of our points given up are on the long plays(25+ yards) and not our LB's fault, our defense sucked this year because of lack of pass rush and poor coverage down feild.

On Drew Bledsoe:

If only he could have played the last 8 games like he did the first 8 games... Not much to say here, but its nice to have a real QB back under center.

On Travis Henry:

I thought that he wasn't getting enough carries at first, but look at the numbers.

325 carries for 1438 yards for a 4.4 yard average. He finished 4th in the NFL for most Carries!!! I dont understand how people thought we were underutilizing him. (i wouldn't mind him getting more carries though)

p.s. he finished 15th among RB's for YPC, and that is with the threat of a down the feild passing game and a VERY good Run Blocking Offensive line.

On Moulds, Price, and Reed:

Congrats to Moulds for the 100 Catch season, and to price for the 93 catch season. Reed looked great when he got thrown to, he i just wish he had a little bit more speed if he is gonna be our #2 guy.

on Tight Ends:

Jay needs to get a pay cut or go. Dave Moore looked solid, but his isn't the long term solution to our TE problem, he is no spring chicken.

On O-line: Solid, Solid play. Jennings is turning into a GREAT player, Teague may be the only guy who may be replaced when Big Mike moves to LT(Depending whats out there), Big Mike still isn't all i had hoped against the pass(McKinnie looks like the better overall Tackle, but Mike his heads and shoulders better than him at Run Blocking).

On Centers: I dont care what anyone says he can play here until he wants to go.

On DB's: Outside of Watson i like what is going on there, very young, and very nasty.

On Big Pat: How he isn't a Pro Bowler i'll never know, he played Outstanding this year.

On Schobel: I can't help but see Phil Hansen in him, if he bulks up to play the run a little bit, i can see him playing a Long time here in Buffalo.

On Ahanatu: Had a great year considering the conditions he came into(missing trainging camp etc.) i say keep him for depth, and maybe start him until Jones gets healthy.

sorry if you actully read this whole thing, i just needed to get some things off my chest.

:afro: WORD :afro:

Mr. Miyagi
01-01-2003, 09:24 PM
Don't be sorry ven, it's good stuff. I agree with mostly everything. Watson does need to go. Kevin Thomas seems promising to be his replacement.

Charlie Rogers needs to either wake up and produce or take a hike. Special teams still aren't the best.

Pass rush. We need pass rush.

Still giving up too many rushing yards. Couldn't shut down anyone other than maybe Dillon. But do the Bengals really count?

BillsNYC
01-01-2003, 09:25 PM
i agree with most..ahanatu (however its spelled, which i don't care) blows, and i love larry centers but we need a guy like sam gash back in here to throw linebackers arond and give drew some extra time and henry some huge holes. i say shobel deserves another year, but it needsto be a breakout season.

SPIKES!!!!

DEFENSIVE TACKLE!!!

DRAFT A FAST WR TO BE #3 BEHIND REED!!!!!

sorry..i needed to release some demons...

RedEyE
01-01-2003, 09:27 PM
OL gave up 54 sacks ~ 2nd most in the NFL ~ not so solid pass protection IMO

PA Season Ticket Holder
01-01-2003, 09:30 PM
Drew Bledsoe was a little bit of the reason behind all them sacks

BillsNYC
01-01-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by RedEyE
OL gave up 54 sacks ~ 2nd most in the NFL ~ not so solid pass protection IMO

eh...we also have the most imoble qb in the nfl...notaying ou pass protecton is great..but i's say they're average..

venis2k1
01-01-2003, 09:41 PM
Our o-line is getting confused by different Blitzing patterns, Mostly the interior line. But i still say he have the best O-line when it comes to run Blocking.

RedEyE
01-01-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by venis2k1
Our o-line is getting confused by different Blitzing patterns, Mostly the interior line. But i still say he have the best O-line when it comes to run Blocking.

I agree with that.

Dozerdog
01-01-2003, 09:49 PM
Nice post Venus!!

Does the weather suck where you live, to?

(Other side of the Westfield River)

The Natrix
01-02-2003, 12:41 AM
I am very surprised that Henry was 4th for carries.

WG
01-02-2003, 05:07 AM
Good overall assessment there venis. I especially agree w/ you on Centers. Some are hard on him, but I think the guy can play and is invaluable, especially for Drew when he can't find his targets.

On Fletcher, I would say however that while his tackles were high, he was a MLB and I think the reason they were so high is b/c of our line as well. Way too many RBs got through there. I'd also be happier about his play if so many of those tackles weren't 10 yards downfield. I'm not as high on Fletcher as some are and I don't think he really improved all that much this season. Numbers maybe, but he struggled going E-W all season long. He just didn't have the lateral speed that is ideal for a MLB IMO.

lunatic_bills_fan
01-02-2003, 07:45 AM
Im with Wys on this one. I believe your MLB has to be "THE" man. Fletcher will fill the gap, but you wont see the "BIG" play outta him. That being said, any LB on this D would have a hard time with the less than average DL we have.

JefftheBillsfan
01-02-2003, 08:58 AM
thats a great post! nice analysis.

northernbillfan
01-02-2003, 02:32 PM
Nice work man. You've been published. The Zone (http://www.billszone.com/)

LABillsFan
01-02-2003, 03:14 PM
Centers had 11 rushes and 43 rec., while Henry had 325 rushes and 43 rec.. It seems to me that a guy with 12 years of experience should be utilized a little bit more than a guy with 1 years experience. I would like to see Larry back here next year and used a little bit more somewhere around 70 carries and rec..

NC-BILLS44
01-02-2003, 03:27 PM
I do agree that Centers could have been used a little more, but 70 catches?? If PP comes back, there may not be enough balls to go around.

LABillsFan
01-02-2003, 03:29 PM
70 catches and rushes combined. Sorry if I didn't clarify enough.

NC-BILLS44
01-02-2003, 03:33 PM
Okay. I think Drew could have used him more as a dump off, instead of taking a sack. Sometimes I found myself saying the same things as when RJ was here. Through the ****** ball!!!!! At least Drew can sometimes make things happen when he waits the extra second.

LABillsFan
01-02-2003, 03:38 PM
I know I'll catch flack for this but Drew had open RB's and Outlet receivers at the line of scrimmage (and I am not exaggerating) about 70% of the time he either got sacked, got Int'd or through for an INC.. If you have tapes of the games or can get them, watch. It was so frustrating watching him not go through his progressions faster or just keying on the 2 receivers going for the long ball.

Voltron
01-02-2003, 03:52 PM
Nice post V2k1

I think The Sporting News did a nice end of the year wrap up of the bills. If you didn't get a chance to read it the link is on the bills zone front page.

I think it is a mistake to just toss JR out into the league and Buffalo should work to renegotiate his contract. He will need to take a pay cut if he wants to stay and he will not get that kind of money in the open market. The money he is making next year is Gonzales (sp) money not Riemersma money. If he wants to really make the playoffs and have a chance to go to the big game next year he should stay here.

I feel the same way about Price. I saw another post somewhere that some one had a 3-year deal for him here. That would be perfect if he can stay healthy. He can stay here for 3 years while we have this potent offense then he can go Free agent when he is in his prime! I wish I knew who I saw write this before because I like to give credit. IT may have been a Wys post. not sure.

If Price is gone (which looks most likely possible) then I think Reed will have a breakout year. That kid really impresses me with some of his moves. I think he can be a Clutch Receiver.

:gobills:

HenryRules
01-02-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by LABillsFan
I know I'll catch flack for this but Drew had open RB's and Outlet receivers at the line of scrimmage (and I am not exaggerating) about 70% of the time he either got sacked, got Int'd or through for an INC.. If you have tapes of the games or can get them, watch. It was so frustrating watching him not go through his progressions faster or just keying on the 2 receivers going for the long ball.

I understand your frustration, but at the same time, I remember Drew connecting with Price or Moulds a few times each for 20+ yard connections by waiting in and avoiding the big hit. It all comes down to what sort of QB you prefer ... one that avoids risks and mistakes and makes the safe play, or one that goes for the big play which will occasionally backfire. Seeing as I am a firm believer in the big play making the difference in most games, I prefer the big play QB, but understand why others would like the safer-style.

LABillsFan
01-03-2003, 12:31 AM
I like the big play too. I wish Drew would just throw a curve once in a while to keep the DB's and LB's honest.

venis2k1
01-03-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Nice post Venus!!

Does the weather suck where you live, to?

(Other side of the Westfield River)

whenever i start to complain about the snow here in NE, i just think it could be worse. I could be in Buffalo.

Bulldog
01-03-2003, 11:46 AM
When it comes to the sacks given up, you also have to look at the number of pass attempts by Bledsoe.