PDA

View Full Version : Alex Smith

Kerr
08-23-2005, 07:49 PM
Rookie qb Alex Smith has been demoted in favor of Tim Rattay. Rattay is now going to open up the season as the starter, while Smith will be the backup.

Do you think this was the right thing to do? Some people say rookie qbs should take their bumps and bruises so they can learn, and other say they should sit on the bench and learn from there.

AndreReed83
08-23-2005, 08:12 PM
It's tough to say. On one hand, Rattay offers them the best chance to win now. But they don't really have any sort of shot at the playoffs. On the other hand, Smith would get great experience by starting the whole year. It's really a matter of do you sacrifice wins and possibly fan support now for a better future?

RedEyE
08-23-2005, 08:15 PM
I think it was the right decision. Rattay is young. Let him take the licks with this patch work team. Next season things should be different. Alex Smith will get his chance to prove himself.

AndreReed83
08-23-2005, 09:06 PM
I honestly thought Rattay never was given a shot at the job. He's always done good when he has played. Then he had major surgery last year, probably shouldn't have played at all. And when he finally did, it was with a terrible team. Give him a shot.

vicmantak
08-23-2005, 11:16 PM
From a personal point of view, 49ers always play to win and this is the most important reason that make them one of the most attractive and funniest teams to watch.

They are simply not married with legends, top prospects, philosophy or mainly PRIDE.
They are simply objective and go with the best option to win.

IMO if Bills don't do it... believe me that coaches and FO have anything to win and everything to loose...

Drive 4 Five
08-23-2005, 11:32 PM
I think it was a good move. With Smith at QB they're looking at two wins tops, with Rattay at QB they're looking at maybe four...

:scratch:

Wait a minute. It might be better to start Smith, better positioning in the draft.

:snicker2:

Actually, Smith looks freakin' terrible. He's clueless. He is as green as the fungus growing under FBH's toe nails (Yeah Mikey told me). Yikes!

Tinboy
08-24-2005, 03:29 AM
Hard to say but right now Smith doesn't look like a NFL starter.

Voltron
08-24-2005, 01:39 PM
This has happened quite a few times in the last few years. The top draft pick is relegated to back up and then when they see that playoffs are out of reach they start to put the rookie in. It happened with Palmer, Eli Manning, Grossman, and some others I am sure I am forgetting. Some of these play books in the NFL are extremely complicated especial a west coast offense so the rookies need more time to get with the program.

Samphin1
08-25-2005, 01:33 AM
Well, lok at it this way too. If Rattay fails, at least the fans have someone to yell and scream and shout for to replace him in Smith. And if he fails on top of Rattay, the fans would be more forgiving since he is young and a rookie and whatnot.

However, if you start Smith and he stinks, the fans are not going to get excited about Rattay replacing him.

The former is exactly how the Chargers set it up for Rivers. Problem is, Brees refused to let the job go and now they have an expensive, if not good, problem on their hands. The Niners are doing ti right I think in sitting Smith. He is only 21 and can be looked at like the savior once he finally replces Rattay ( and he will replace him this year. Tim can't stay healthy to save his life ).

vicmantak
08-25-2005, 01:48 AM
Well, lok at it this way too. If Rattay fails, at least the fans have someone to yell and scream and shout for to replace him in Smith. And if he fails on top of Rattay, the fans would be more forgiving since he is young and a rookie and whatnot.

However, if you start Smith and he stinks, the fans are not going to get excited about Rattay replacing him.

The former is exactly how the Chargers set it up for Rivers. Problem is, Brees refused to let the job go and now they have an expensive, if not good, problem on their hands. The Niners are doing ti right I think in sitting Smith. He is only 21 and can be looked at like the savior once he finally replces Rattay ( and he will replace him this year. Tim can't stay healthy to save his life ).LOL!
Anyhow, Rattay is a promising QB (when healthy...) and it seems that SF is on risk to face a similar Chargers situation.:brush: