PDA

View Full Version : Clements Situation

gonzo1105
08-23-2005, 10:24 PM
As we know by now, Clements wants to be the highest paid Cornerback in the NFL, and that is pretty good money and will chew up a big chunk of our cap space. I know Clements is a Donahoe pick, and usually he keeps them around. They have started negotiations and all that, but I bet if Clements resigns it will be during the FA period. I bet the Bills take a real long hard look at Jabari Greer and how he develops this year. If they believe he develops enough, I bet they let Clements go and you will see Greer starting next year and a high draft choice being used on a CB(not necessarily 1st round). If they think Jabari is at best a nickle, expect Donahoe to pony over the cash.

BuffaloRanger
08-24-2005, 02:53 AM
I don't see them signing him to a long contract. If anything they may franchise him if they have the cap space and they think using him for one more year might get them to the SB. Would you franchise him then trade him for a mid 1st rd pick?

Tinboy
08-24-2005, 03:22 AM
Franchise and then trade I say.

colin
08-24-2005, 07:27 AM
i say we sign him and have the best DB in football on our team for years

casdhf
08-24-2005, 07:41 AM
I agree to that

Night Train
08-24-2005, 07:41 AM
If the LT situation settles with Gandy and Peters showing decent production, then the focus of the 2006 Bills #1 pick would shift to CB. I just can't see the Bills breaking the bank over Nate. It's really all about his asking price and prudent cap responsibility.

dannyek71
08-24-2005, 07:43 AM
I dont think hes the top db in football (hes up there though) but I dont think any players in the league outside of Manning are worth 10+ mil of cap room a year. Franchise him and trade him for the 15th pick in the draft and use that pick on our biggest need for next year.

Spend the money to lock in mcgee long term.

mysticsoto
08-24-2005, 08:02 AM
As we know by now, Clements wants to be the highest paid Cornerback in the NFL, and that is pretty good money and will chew up a big chunk of our cap space. I know Clements is a Donahoe pick, and usually he keeps them around. They have started negotiations and all that, but I bet if Clements resigns it will be during the FA period. I bet the Bills take a real long hard look at Jabari Greer and how he develops this year. If they believe he develops enough, I bet they let Clements go and you will see Greer starting next year and a high draft choice being used on a CB(not necessarily 1st round). If they think Jabari is at best a nickle, expect Donahoe to pony over the cash.
That is what I see happenning also. Eric King merits consideration also. He seems to be a very NC-like cornerback. Kevin Thomas has been hurt, but when he's healthy he's a good playmaker and has decent size. I remember he played with his hand in a cast before, and still played well. We have good depth, and no doubt that will figure into TD's negotiations. If we do let Nate go next year, we need to concentrate on getting a CB and I think we should get one in the 1st round. Previously, LT was the most important position, but with Gandy playing well, we could let it fall to the 2nd round and look to acquire a versatile O-lineman who could play several spots. At some point, we need to start looking for replacements for Moulds and Sam Adams (Tim Anderson may fill the role...) also.

This is probably the best depth I've seen on our team for quite some time!!!

The last buffalo fan
08-24-2005, 09:34 AM
That is what I see happenning also. Eric King merits consideration also. He seems to be a very NC-like cornerback. Kevin Thomas has been hurt, but when he's healthy he's a good playmaker and has decent size. I remember he played with his hand in a cast before, and still played well. We have good depth, and no doubt that will figure into TD's negotiations. If we do let Nate go next year, we need to concentrate on getting a CB and I think we should get one in the 1st round. Previously, LT was the most important position, but with Gandy playing well, we could let it fall to the 2nd round and look to acquire a versatile O-lineman who could play several spots. At some point, we need to start looking for replacements for Moulds and Sam Adams (Tim Anderson may fill the role...) also.

This is probably the best depth I've seen on our team for quite some time!!!
I agree with you mi amigo.

ddaryl
08-24-2005, 01:11 PM
Worse case scenario, We end up with an extra 1st rd pick because we tagged Nate and traded him.

Best case scenario. Nate stays a Bill and gives the Bills a discount contract that pays Nate very well, but has a very manageable cap hit

Drive 4 Five
08-24-2005, 01:40 PM
Has anyone actually observed Clements saying that he wants to be the highest paid corner in football? I haven't. I am all for keeping Nate but this whole business about being the top paid in all the league (which I am hoping is nothing more than speculation) is crap. He has to want to be here first and foremost and if he truly does then I think we'll get someting done. There is no way in hell that you give anyone that kind of cheese simply because he wants merit and respect. Screw all that. Does he deserve a huge payday? I think so. He definitely deserves to be paid within what the top five in the leage make, and we'll need him to make any kind of a realistic SB run. He is the Bill's version of TY Law and I believe we cannot get to a SB wihtout him, not anytime soon anyway. Still the fact remains that he has to want to remain a Bill and if he is seriously looking only for the highest salary he can get (which I really don't believe) then franchise his ass and trade him someplace else. We don't need selfish ass players like that on our team and I know the Bill's Brass will not stand for it. He is as good as gone if that is the case. However, I think all this talk about being the highest paid, is made up, and I think Clements will be here for the long haul. I hope.

The last buffalo fan
08-24-2005, 01:57 PM
Has anyone actually observed Clements saying that he wants to be the highest paid corner in football? I haven't. I am all for keeping Nate but this whole business about being the top paid in all the league (which I am hoping is nothing more than speculation) is crap. He has to want to be here first and foremost and if he truly does then I think we'll get someting done. There is no way in hell that you give anyone that kind of cheese simply because he wants merit and respect. Screw all that. Does he deserve a huge payday? I think so. He definitely deserves to be paid within what the top five in the leage make, and we'll need him to make any kind of a realistic SB run. He is the Bill's version of TY Law and I believe we cannot get to a SB wihtout him, not anytime soon anyway. Still the fact remains that he has to want to remain a Bill and if he is seriously looking only for the highest salary he can get (which I really don't believe) then franchise his ass and trade him someplace else. We don't need selfish ass players like that on our team and I know the Bill's Brass will not stand for it. He is as good as gone if that is the case. However, I think all this talk about being the highest paid, is made up, and I think Clements will be here for the long haul. I hope.
That's my hope too. As I said before, I watched some interviews at internet and some commets at NFL network from him, and he said that contract stuff was for his agent, he was telling the reporters the I'm the best cb stuff, but he never sounds to me greedy or something, actually a nice guy I think. If he stays excellent, if not, will find a way to get that SB ring.