PDA

View Full Version : Strange journey to being Bills fan

Voltron
08-24-2005, 11:19 PM
Strange journey to being Bills fan (http://sun.yumasun.com/artman/publish/articles/story_18599.php)

SO I read this article from the front page and sent the autor an e-mail:

Dear Linn,
I read your article from August 22nd "Strange journey to being Bills fan" and loved it! Even though you have never been to Buffalo you understand our love of the game and of our team. I am a season ticket holder myself and I became a fanatic because of one thing. I started to visit the web page www.Billszone.com and learned so much about the game and the team that sitting in front of my TV just would not do anymore. Since Joining Billszone I have met hundreds of people in virtual Bills-land and I have also met quite a few in real life. I now have a tailgate crew I get together with every game. We have a large crew getting together for opening weekend with people coming in from Canada, California, Wisconsin, South Dakota, Minnesota, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Rhode island, Vermont, and of course many from all over NY including quite a few from NYC! We get together Friday night before the game to catch up with people we have met before and meet and greet the people we only know as a screen name on a message board. Even people that are at each others throats on the message boards are shaking hands and saying ?nice to finally meet you!? I never seem to have a loss of people I know at the games and I even find myself calling people on the phone I have never even met in real life.

I would like to personally invite you to our site and jump onto the fan forums. We have some of the most intelligent posters on any football message board I have ever been to. Not just people that know the Buffalo Bills but people that really know football. We have a few guys who are our "Capoligist" and follow the salary cap. We have one guy who reminds us of the roots of the Bills who we call our Historian, we have our very own Training camp reporter, and all of these folks do this for one reason and one reason only. They love the Buffalo Bills! Not one of these people gets paid to do this. We even have staff writers and while they only do it for fun, they do it just the same. We have a great time there and we always say the more the merrier!

Thanks again for a great read! If you decide to come on and check us out ... Tell them Voltron sent ya :)

Then She wrote back! :up:

Hi Barry -

good to hear from you. Thanks for the kudos. I will definitely join you
guys on the Billszone site. I have ben bothered by a little carpal tunnel
stuff lately, so I have been trying to limit my "out of work" typing. But
I am sure I won't be able to hold back, knowing me.

I am intrigued that you guys have all these people who follow stats and
caps and stuff, that is really neat. My husband is really into stats and
stuff. I vow to get to Ralph WIlson someday. In the past four years we
have moved four times and lived in every time zone, so things have been
hectic. We do plan on going to the San Diego vs Bill game this year,
because it's only 3 hours away. I doubt we will go back to Oakland, that
was no fun.

I am a little worried about Losman. I am willing to give the kid a chance,
but worry because he is just that - a kid. We'll see. Looks like our
defense is back and bad, I love it. Like John Madden I like those rough
tough defenses. I really miss Levy, I kinda hoped he would come out of
retirement, but alas.

Thanks for the e-mail and the invite. Go Bills.

MY CURRENT FUN QUOTE: The truth is that there is nothing noble in being
superior to somebody else. The only real nobility is in being superior to
your former self. (Whitney Young)

Sincerely,
Linn E. Caroleo, Ed.D.
Special Projects Writer
The Sun, Yuma, AZ

I thought that was cool that she wrote back so quick! Be on the look out for her and make her feel welcome :peace:

SoCalBillsFan
08-24-2005, 11:36 PM
Cool! I also had a "strange journey" to being a Bills fan and had never been to buffalo until several years ago. Kinda a long story I've told before, not sure if anyone would want to hear it again. Hope she stops by the zone! Thanks for sharing the email.

JD
08-25-2005, 01:53 AM
I came out with a Bills logo etched into my forehead, so I have been pretty much a fan for life I guess.

northernbillfan
08-25-2005, 03:21 AM
Great work in reaching out like that Voltron. Also I'm glad our hard work on teh FP doesn't get wasted or passed by.

I should send her Clumps cap page. Apparently it's been called one of the best in the league by writers and folks who follow caps and such.

If she reads some of our writers work we may lose them to real newspapers.

One thing, I hope we don't in crap for reprinteing her article...

Gunzlingr
08-25-2005, 05:51 AM
Voltron, the Billszone Ambassador to the World :D

Great job, man!

The King
08-25-2005, 06:30 AM
Very Cool, Voltron.

Earthquake Enyart
08-25-2005, 06:36 AM
Who the f is Barry? :huh:

Voltron
08-25-2005, 11:05 AM
Great work in reaching out like that Voltron. Also I'm glad our hard work on teh FP doesn't get wasted or passed by.

I should send her Clumps cap page. Apparently it's been called one of the best in the league by writers and folks who follow caps and such.

If she reads some of our writers work we may lose them to real newspapers.

One thing, I hope we don't in crap for reprinteing her article...
I believe we are allowed to link to articles as long as we don't print the entire thing. :up:

Voltron
08-25-2005, 11:06 AM
Who the f is Barry? :huh:
Did you think my parents named me after a robot made from 5 lions? :eek:

Gunzlingr
08-25-2005, 11:10 AM
Did you think my parents named me after a robot made from 5 lions? :eek:Since your sister's name is MechaShiva, and your brothers are named Romulox and Megatron it wouldn't surprise me.

northernbillfan
08-25-2005, 01:51 PM
I believe we are allowed to link to articles as long as we don't print the entire thing. :up:
Some people have been upset at us in the past.

vicmantak
08-26-2005, 03:25 AM
I'm an overseas fan and also had a strange journey to being a Bills fan but to be frank, I can only tell you that this Bills Zone message board is just amazing.
There are several quality posters here and I really like to visit this message board.
Thanks to all members that make this board one more reason to BILLIEVE!