PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Reed is a lock...

casdhf
08-25-2005, 08:15 AM
Word is that rookie WR Roscoe Parrish, who was emerging as a weapon as the Bills’ slot receiver before being sidelined with a wrist injury, could miss the first month of the season due to the injury. Parrish has been seen on the sideline at practice with his arm in a cast and a sling. The Bills have said the injury is not a season-ending one, but there are concerns that Parrish’s ability to catch the ball — particularly on punts and kickoffs — could be hindered once he does return. We hear Parrish’s injury is also a blow to young QB J.P. Losman, who was establishing a rapport with the speedy Miami (Fla.) product and was looking for him in the slot when under pressure. Disappointing Josh Reed is next in line to earn the No. 3 WR role, but though he’s having a good camp, he’s getting pushed by Drew Haddad. Meanwhile, Sam Aiken and Jonathan Smith appear to be on the periphery.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/default.htm?mode=afceast

I can't say I'm suprised, but it looks like Haddad has a good shot too!!

Novacane
08-25-2005, 08:23 AM
I'd rather had Haddad than Reed. I'm sick of his drops.

Pride
08-25-2005, 08:25 AM
I agree... #3 guy has to make the catch... since he is the last option usually. He doesnt need to be super fast or super big.. but he does need to be reliable! Reed is NOT reliable!

Mr. Miyagi
08-25-2005, 08:35 AM
Trade that guy to Philly for a cheesesteak and a song.

mysticsoto
08-25-2005, 08:42 AM
Mularkey has mentioned that they may keep 6 WRs on the roster this year. That means Wilson may have a chance of making the roster too. I hope they let Jonathan Smith go. He's just too small and a good hit by a Safety, LB or McNabb's mother jolts the ball out every time.

Jan Reimers
08-25-2005, 08:50 AM
Including Parrish in the 6, you would have to cut Smith and another one of the guys mentioned in order to keep Wilson.

dannyek71
08-25-2005, 08:56 AM
WR: Moulds, Evans, Parrish, Haddad, Aiken, Reed

Night Train
08-25-2005, 09:06 AM
Does Aiken have compromising photo's of TD in drag ? What's the attraction ?

ryven
08-25-2005, 09:17 AM

I think it's his overall size but they really should cut him loose if he doesnt start to produce. He has had his chance wilson is just a little shorter and a little lighter than Aiken but has produced more. Give a year or two and you have lost nothing maybe even gain a viable threat.

mysticsoto
08-25-2005, 09:18 AM
His size. He's 6'2, 204 lbs or something like that. He also plays good ST. However, if Moulds were to go down with an injury, could you see Reed taking his place? Shudder!

Actually, I looked at Wilson's bio and he's 5'11" and about 197 lbs. That's not small. I might consider keeping him over Aiken or Reed.

My ideal lineup to keep 6 would be: Moulds, Evans, Parrish, Haddad, Wilson, Aiken.

I don't like Reed b'cse I feel he is too unreliable and doesn't have anything else really going for him. Aiken can be unreliable also, but atleast has size. However, if we only keep 5, I'd dismiss Aiken also. Wilson plays ST also and is pretty decent at it.

I'd also put Tony Brown on the PS. If he can develop, a 6'2 guy with Evans speed could be awesome and a future Moulds replacement. But he's too raw right now and drops too many balls. He will need to seriously work on that if he ever wants to be seriously considered.

casdhf
08-25-2005, 09:26 AM
5'11 197, is really small for WRs these days. I'd say Aiken is more average, I don't think he's anything special to hold onto, but as far as big, physical WRs.....after Moulds, who is there?

Night Train
08-25-2005, 09:35 AM
His size. He's 6'2, 204 lbs or something like that. He also plays good ST.
I'm well aware of his contributions on ST's. I witnessed several nice tackles by him last season. But we have many good ST's who can actually provide good depth at their given position. Aiken has done nothing but drop balls every time I've seen him practice.

Prototype body or not, you only get so many passes, based on percieved ability. Mularkey didn't draft the guy and owes him nothing. Right now, Haddad and Wilson are catching the ball. Aiken is not.

mysticsoto
08-25-2005, 09:48 AM
5'11 197, is really small for WRs these days. I'd say Aiken is more average, I don't think he's anything special to hold onto, but as far as big, physical WRs.....after Moulds, who is there?
What good is his size though, if he can't catch the ball? Atleast Wilson catches them...

I'd test him thoroughly in the next 2 games. If he doesn't show me anything, I'd give Wilson the position over him...we can't just keep him in the roster b'cse of his size. He's got to be able to produce when needed. Otherwise, he's useless.

mysticsoto
08-25-2005, 09:50 AM
I'm well aware of his contributions on ST's. I witnessed several nice tackles by him last season. But we have many good ST's who can actually provide good depth at their given position. Aiken has done nothing but drop balls every time I've seen him practice.

Prototype body or not, you only get so many passes, based on percieved ability. Mularkey didn't draft the guy and owes him nothing. Right now, Haddad and Wilson are catching the ball. Aiken is not.
You do realize by the rest of my post that I agree with what you say, right? Aiken seems to have potential, but seems more interested in working out than improving his hand skills. If Moulds were to go down, I would feel more comfortable with Wilson in than Aiken. Aiken may be physical, but if you can't catch the ball, it's all wasted.

ryven
08-25-2005, 10:01 AM
His size. He's 6'2, 204 lbs or something like that. He also plays good ST. However, if Moulds were to go down with an injury, could you see Reed taking his place? Shudder!

Actually, I looked at Wilson's bio and he's 5'11" and about 197 lbs. That's not small. I might consider keeping him over Aiken or Reed.

My ideal lineup to keep 6 would be: Moulds, Evans, Parrish, Haddad, Wilson, Aiken.

I don't like Reed b'cse I feel he is too unreliable and doesn't have anything else really going for him. Aiken can be unreliable also, but atleast has size. However, if we only keep 5, I'd dismiss Aiken also. Wilson plays ST also and is pretty decent at it.

I'd also put Tony Brown on the PS. If he can develop, a 6'2 guy with Evans speed could be awesome and a future Moulds replacement. But he's too raw right now and drops too many balls. He will need to seriously work on that if he ever wants to be seriously considered.

Here is What Wilson's measurements are on the official website http://www.buffalobills.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=122576

Night Train
08-25-2005, 10:11 AM
You do realize by the rest of my post that I agree with what you say, right? Aiken seems to have potential, but seems more interested in working out than improving his hand skills. If Moulds were to go down, I would feel more comfortable with Wilson in than Aiken. Aiken may be physical, but if you can't catch the ball, it's all wasted.Yes, I realize we're on the same page. Sorry if I came across wrong.

Jan Reimers
08-25-2005, 10:29 AM
WR: Moulds, Evans, Parrish, Haddad, Aiken, Reed
That would be my group, with Wilson on the PS again (I think he's still eligible). I like Haddad's ability to catch the ball, and I still can't help but think that Reed and Aiken are going to bust out.

justasportsfan
08-25-2005, 11:08 AM
I don't have a problem w/ that. I'd take Reed and Haddad over Aiken at this point.

don137
08-25-2005, 12:03 PM
If Reed was not a second round pick by TD he would of been cut by now...From what I seen and heard Wilson and Haddad seems to be better than Reed and Aiken

justasportsfan
08-25-2005, 12:28 PM
Remember how Reed had sticky hands in his first year? I'm not sold on Wilson yet. I'd like to see what Reed can do w/ a different QB throwing to him. Everyone had the dropsies after Drews first year. In his first year all he threw were deep balls that made everyone look good. In his 2nd year when those deep balls were easily gameplanned against, he had to switch to short range and all of a sudden ALL of our wr's sucked. Same can be said in his 3rd year even after the OL improved.

Everyone's seems to be doing fine with JP throwing short passes. Even Reed.

mysticsoto
08-25-2005, 12:37 PM
Remember how Reed had sticky hands in his first year? I'm not sold on Wilson yet. I'd like to see what Reed can do w/ a different QB throwing to him. Everyone had the dropsies after Drews first year. In his first year all he threw were deep balls that made everyone look good. In his 2nd year when those deep balls were easily gameplanned against, he had to switch to short range and all of a sudden ALL of our wr's sucked. Same can be said in his 3rd year even after the OL improved.

Everyone's seems to be doing fine with JP throwing short passes. Even Reed.
Not really. Reed was dropping easy ones in TC and in this last game he dropped a touchdown pass that landed on his fingers!!! My friend at work here told me that he rewatched it in slow motion and that clearly the ball touched his fingers and subsequently fell off his hands before the defender began the tackle. Touchdowns count for everything and Reed has lost his focus.

I do not understand this obsession with some people to keep giving Reed chances. If we have a potential better playmaker, we should go with them. From Wilson's POV, what else can he do? I'm sure he'd put on some tap dance shoes and dance if he felt it would improve his chances to make the team. He has good size. He plays good STs...What does he need to do to be given a chance? :idunno:

ryven
08-25-2005, 12:44 PM
I do not understand this obsession with some people to keep giving Reed chances. If we have a potential better playmaker, we should go with them. From Wilson's POV, what else can he do? I'm sure he'd put on some tap dance shoes and dance if he felt it would improve his chances to make the team. He has good size. He plays good STs...What does he need to do to be given a chance? :idunno:

I completely agree.

pleasesavedrew
08-25-2005, 12:53 PM

Even if Reed does drop the ball he deserves to make the team because hes obviously better than Aiken or haddad, Idnr get why people are talkking about him getting cut, hes still one of the 5 best wrs on the team. Also tony brown sucks and dropped alot of balls against Indy.

mysticsoto
08-25-2005, 12:57 PM
Even if Reed does drop the ball he deserves to make the team because hes obviously better than Aiken or haddad, Idnr get why people are talkking about him getting cut, hes still one of the 5 best wrs on the team. Also tony brown sucks and dropped alot of balls against Indy. Please explain to me what Reed has done after his rookie year to deserve to be called better than Aiken or Haddad - to say he's obviously better is meaningless. Give me facts. Give me situations which show this...

As to Tony Brown - yes he dropped alot of balls against Indy. That's why I want him on the PS instead of on the team. And the only reason he's worth a chance to develop is b'cse he's as big as Moulds and as fast as Evans. No other reason. He will have to prove he can learn to run routes and catch the ball well. Hopefully, these are things he can develop. It doesn't hurt to put him on the PS and hope he develops into a top receiver. But yes, clearly right now he's not even worth a backup position.

justasportsfan
08-25-2005, 01:29 PM
Not really. Reed was dropping easy ones in TC and in this last game he dropped a touchdown pass that landed on his fingers!!! My friend at work here told me that he rewatched it in slow motion and that clearly the ball touched his fingers and subsequently fell off his hands before the defender began the tackle. Touchdowns count for everything and Reed has lost his focus.

I do not understand this obsession with some people to keep giving Reed chances. If we have a potential better playmaker, we should go with them. From Wilson's POV, what else can he do? I'm sure he'd put on some tap dance shoes and dance if he felt it would improve his chances to make the team. He has good size. He plays good STs...What does he need to do to be given a chance? :idunno: Aiken and Moulds had just as much drops as Reed at camp. . The only ones who look great was Haddad. On certain days Parrish had his share of drops. I have the videos to prove them.

I don't have the obsession for reed, just want to see what he can do w/ a different qb. If Parrish didn't get injured, reed should fade to oblivion. Who's left. Reed, Haddad and Aiken. Haddad and Reed are at the same level and Aiken last, IMO.

justasportsfan
08-25-2005, 01:35 PM
Please explain to me what Reed has done after his rookie year to deserve to be called better than Aiken or Haddad - to say he's obviously better is meaningless. Give me facts. Give me situations which show this...
Neither Aiken nor Haddad even had a season like Reed had in his best. Granted it was his rookie year, it's still better than anything both Aiken and Haddad ever had.

Like I said, Haddad has more chemistry w/ JP but Aiken is no better than Reed.
People say Aiken is in the mold of Moulds . After all these years he can't even secure 3rd spot. We've drafted Evans and Parrish since then and yet, nothing. I'm not gonna wait for him to develop. We have nothing to lose w/ Reed. He's done anyways once Parrish comes back.

NC-BILLS44
08-25-2005, 01:41 PM
I still can't help but think that Reed and Aiken are going to bust out.

I agree. Something has to happen this season.

mysticsoto
08-25-2005, 01:53 PM
Neither Aiken nor Haddad even had a season like Reed had in his best. Granted it was his rookie year, it's still better than anything both Aiken and Haddad ever had.

Like I said, Haddad has more chemistry w/ JP but Aiken is no better than Reed.
People say Aiken is in the mold of Moulds . After all these years he can't even secure 3rd spot. We've drafted Evans and Parrish since then and yet, nothing. I'm not gonna wait for him to develop. We have nothing to lose w/ Reed. He's done anyways once Parrish comes back.
Very true that neither Aiken nor Haddad have had a season like Reed's rookie year. However, that was then and this is now. What is Reed producing now? If TC didn't convince you (and most of the drops by the veterans or others were early in the camp), then what about the actual preseason games. It doesn't get any more real than this.

Every year I hear the "Let's give Reed one more shot" argument. In the meantime, we are losing a roster spot that could go to a better player. It's a given that Parrish will have the position once he recovers. But...if I were to say, let's put in Jason Peters instead of Gandy at Left Tackle, what would you say? There's a host of things you could say: "Why? Gandy is playing much better. Peters frequently makes mistakes, etc." And you'd be right. But can't those same arguments be used against Reed? Isn't the NFL alot about "what have you done for me lately" than "What did you do for me one season 4 years ago?" Isn't that what we did at Left Tackle? Went with the one who is producing? Isn't that what we did when we booted Bledsoe out and went with JP? Isn't staying with someone who isn't producing doing the same thing we did when we kept giving Rob Johnson chances???

justasportsfan
08-25-2005, 02:05 PM
Very true that neither Aiken nor Haddad have had a season like Reed's rookie year. However, that was then and this is now. What is Reed producing now? If TC didn't convince you (and most of the drops by the veterans or others were early in the camp), then what about the actual preseason games. It doesn't get any more real than this.

Every year I hear the "Let's give Reed one more shot" argument. In the meantime, we are losing a roster spot that could go to a better player. It's a given that Parrish will have the position once he recovers. But...if I were to say, let's put in Jason Peters instead of Gandy at Left Tackle, what would you say? There's a host of things you could say: "Why? Gandy is playing much better. Peters frequently makes mistakes, etc." And you'd be right. But can't those same arguments be used against Reed? Isn't the NFL alot about "what have you done for me lately" than "What did you do for me one season 4 years ago?" Isn't that what we did at Left Tackle? Went with the one who is producing? Isn't that what we did when we booted Bledsoe out and went with JP? Isn't staying with someone who isn't producing doing the same thing we did when we kept giving Rob Johnson chances???then and now. Aiken hasn't done anything then and now. So why is he ahead of reed in your books. I said if Parrish were here I'd have no prblem letting Reed sit.

NO, reed is in his last year. There are no other shots after this. I'm only thinking about this season while Parrish is healing and not next year. When Parrish comes back, he's no. 3. Question is, who til then? Either Reed or Haddad, not Aiken.

Let me ask you the same question , how long are you gonna keep waiting for Aiken to develop? How much longer are you gonna be patient w/ the guy? Reed is better than Aiken up the middle.

mysticsoto
08-25-2005, 03:14 PM
then and now. Aiken hasn't done anything then and now. So why is he ahead of reed in your books. I said if Parrish were here I'd have no prblem letting Reed sit.

NO, reed is in his last year. There are no other shots after this. I'm only thinking about this season while Parrish is healing and not next year. When Parrish comes back, he's no. 3. Question is, who til then? Either Reed or Haddad, not Aiken.

Let me ask you the same question , how long are you gonna keep waiting for Aiken to develop? How much longer are you gonna be patient w/ the guy? Reed is better than Aiken up the middle.
I never said I preferred Aiken over Reed. From what I've seen in TC and preseason, I currently prefer Haddad over Reed and Wilson over Aiken. Both Reed and Aiken have been with us for awhile and Reed's play has degraded while Aiken's play has not improved. Both Haddad and Wilson have shown great improvements in their pass catching abilities and Special Teams play. I just feel they deserve an opportunity to display their talents. Reed and Aiken have had opportunities and don't seem to be panning out in terms of their abilities to get the job done. Ultimately, what matters is who actually makes the plays, and not who used to make the plays or who may one day make some plays...

justasportsfan
08-25-2005, 03:40 PM
I never said I preferred Aiken over Reed. ...

I take it you would rather have Aiken over Reed w/ that line up? :D.

LifetimeBillsFan
08-26-2005, 03:09 AM
Here's what I would do if I were in M.Mularkey's shoes baring any changes over the next couple of weeks:

I would call G.Wilson in and tell him that he has played very well in training camp and the preseason and has made the team, but the team has a problem that it could use his help to fix. I would tell him that the team is going to go with Drew Haddad as Roscoe's replacement in the slot for the time being because Haddad has earned the job with his performance in camp. And, that, since Sam Aiken is the only big receiver other than Moulds on the roster, the team wants to keep Aiken as a back-up to Moulds.

Then I would explain to Wilson that, while he has made the team with his performance and I want him to be one the team, the problem is that, with Haddad not having played much in the NFL, the team is concerned about going with Haddad in the slot without having someone with regular season game experience to back him up should he not be able to handle the job once the season starts. I would tell Wilson that I would like to keep J.Reed until Parrish is able to return: that way, if Haddad fails to handle the # 3 job in the regular season, Reed can take over for him and the team will keep whichever one performs best in Parrish's absence; on the other hand, if Haddad continues to play well while Roscoe is out, the Bills won't need to keep Reed and will cut or trade him as soon as Parrish is ready to return to action.

I would, then, tell Wilson that, as much as I want him on the team, the team cannot afford to keep 7 WRs on the roster, but that, if he is willing to do it, there is a way that he can help the team and end up on the roster. I would tell him that, if he would be willing to let the team cut him and sign him to the practice squad and play on the PS until Roscoe returns from his injury. I would tell him that, since the team would not need to keep three slot receivers on the roster, once Parrish returns to action, either Haddad or Reed will be cut and I would promise him that, if he helps the team out by going on the practice squad, I would immediately put him on the active roster once that happens. Otherwise, I would tell him that I will be forced to cut him, with no guarantees, even though I feel that he has played well enough to make the team and I want to keep him.

If Wilson was amenable, I would start the season with E.Moulds, L.Evans, R.Parrish, D.Haddad, S.Aiken and J.Reed as the team's WRs and would add G.Wilson to the active roster once Parrish returns to action and either Reed or Haddad (most likely Reed) is let go.

In my view, Parrish clearly has established that, when healthy, he is the Bills' # 3 WR, behind Evans and Moulds, and Haddad has beaten out Reed for the chance to replace Roscoe while he is recovering from his injury. While Wilson has shown the most consistent hands of the other WRs and deserves to make the team, Aiken is the only other Bills WR with the size to replace Moulds. However, keeping Haddad and Wilson, while Parrish is out, would leave the Bills with no experience at the slot position behind Haddad, since Aiken really isn't a slot receiver. The only way to solve this problem is to keep Reed until Roscoe returns, but the Bills can't afford to keep 7 WRs on the roster. That means that, at least temporarily, someone has to go and Wilson is the likely candidate because he can be put on the PS until Parrish is ready to play again. Then, because the Bills don't really need to keep 3 slot receivers, either Haddad or Reed (whichever has done worse) can be replaced by Wilson. If Wilson can be convinced to stay with the team on the PS at the beginning of the season, that's what I would like to see the Bills do.

vicmantak
08-26-2005, 04:01 AM
Lifetime,

Thanks for share your comments. You are one of my favorite "sources" and I really like the way you think and contribute.

I'm an Aiken fan but if he is not showing nothing special and if Wilson is the most consitent WR on camp --- IMO Wilson deserves strong consideration to make the team. IMO the "rule" is who is the best option to win and no who fits better to the coaches' plan.

I strongly support the idea that key-offensive plans might be designed considering your players strengthnesses ---- and not to "mold" players to a stone-minded game plan.

Night Train
08-26-2005, 04:19 AM
From Friday mornings Rachacha D&C

Josh Reed - The young veteran wide receiver had a horrible week of practice with numerous dropped passes. This could be his last shot to save his job.

PFW is throwing darts.