PDA

View Full Version : GW's "teachers". What a crock!

Kelly The Dog
01-02-2003, 10:27 AM
Who really let us down this year that had any expectations put on them at all?

Robinson?
Newman?
JR?
Drew at times?
Watson?
Chidi?

I would add Wire and Prioleau but little was expected of them because of their age and new positions. What do they all have in common?

They're Veterans.

Didn't you just hate GW always talking abot his staff and his teachers? Man, what a crock! And now look at them! In public, Bledsoe has consistently lauded Kragthorpe. Travis went way out of his way to say that Steve Fairchild was a huge factor in TH's breakout season. Crosby improves in huge bunches in two years. Wire, Thomas and Bostic, the rookies, made the big strides in the defensive backfield not the veteran Watson. The OL especially Sullivan, and Teague and Jennings, have exceeded their expectations in one or two years with Vinlarik. Peerless and Josh Reed made huge strides in short periods of time with Graves. It was the veteran linebackers that were getting burnt. It seems like the young guys at every position have improved greatly. Except one. What was our biggest problem? The DL. The only veteran position coach and Wade holdover, Levra. Phoohey on these teachers!

Ooops.

Seems like these teachers are doing all right.

WG
01-02-2003, 10:30 AM
Yeah, but you know how the party-line works. That's why I'm surprised that so many of the media and fans suck most of that stuff up throughout the season.

It's almost as if each team's coach is issued a pre-determined can of the same exact quotes they're allowed to use all season long. You can only use one for so many times before it loses all of its credibility so you have to be prudent in their use/timing.

The whole thing's a crock!

WG
01-02-2003, 10:31 AM
I think Gray's done a very good job as the season's gone along.

Typ0
01-02-2003, 10:41 AM
There definately were a lot less defensive failures as the season went on. I don't know if that has anything to do with the weather and the opponents though. Even if it has improved we need a lot more from them we can't go out and get tooled on defense for half our schedule, have four mediocre games and play decent only 25% of the time. We need the defense to win us the field position battle and have a much better and consistent plus minus--then we can win some games.

WG
01-02-2003, 11:01 AM
The D started playing better way back in week 7 when the weather was fine. Same as Drew. Many blame his woes on the weather when in the worst weather game all season he played his best game in the last 10 games.

The weather was maybe a factor in 2 or 3 games. That's it. It was fine otherwise. No one guaranteed the NFL '60s and sunny for most of its games.

DIHARD2
01-02-2003, 01:16 PM

DIHARD2
01-02-2003, 01:26 PM
Think about your comments on teaching. You have pros who have been use to doing things a certain way and have been somewhat successful. They have to forget what they've learned from the previous years and learned a new system. Usually it takes longer to learn a new system because of having to forget your old way of doing things.

Then you take a rookie who doesn't have to forget some other system of course he's going to excel quicker over the pros for a period of time. Towards the last few games of the season the pros and rookie's were achieving quite well together.

Next year you will see that it will be just fine-tuning of the offense. As for the defense a lot of the key positions were rookies this year. By game four next year, if we pick up the right players, we will be the team to beat. That is, if we get some help from the special teams. Those may be the key to our success next year, but don't forget we only have so much money to spend and special teams may be our project the following year. But I do believe we are a playoff team next year.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...