PDA

View Full Version : Is this true?

footballhottie
08-25-2005, 09:26 PM
When ralf wilson dies he is leaving the bills to his daughter? And she said she wants to sell them to canada? wtf

chernobylwraiths
08-25-2005, 09:35 PM
The team will go into a trust or something and will be sold to the highest bidder upon his death. She doesn't want the team, but passing it on to her will just have her incur a huge amount of money to pay the government with that "death tax".

feelthepain
08-25-2005, 10:48 PM
Take off, eh....

wchutalkinboutwillis
08-25-2005, 10:58 PM
When ralf wilson dies he is leaving the bills to his daughter? And she said she wants to sell them to canada? wtf
Now that's just silly talk. Actually, I think everything you say is on except for the Canada thing. Buffalo will get every oppty to keep the team and there will be plenty of suitors for what is a very profitable organization. I think this is true especially since it seems the new CBA will continue to support equality for smaller market teams. How 'bout them apples?

Captain Obvious
08-25-2005, 11:09 PM
I'm a Canadian who lives 2 hours from Toronto and the biggest stadium facility in Toronto (Rogers Centre) would hold at the most 55, 000 peolpe for football, which is why any talk of future expansion to Toronto is silly because this facilty is too small. ANyway as far as the bills coming to Canada. Almost no chance.
If/when that time comes for the bills to be sold I'm pretty sure a group of local investors(Golisano?Hamister?Rich family?) will step up and keep the team in Buffalo.

Devin
08-25-2005, 11:18 PM
The team goes to his daughter who doesnt want the team. The problem (least as I understand it) is there isnt a whole lot of people wealthy enough in the area to buy the Bills.

The NFL doesnt allow publicly owned teams anymore like the Packers have, so there are tons of theories as to what will happen, especially given Ralph's age there honestly is no telling.

Captain Obvious
08-25-2005, 11:23 PM
Wait a minute. Is this another one of your ruses to get us all "hot" and "bothered". Just like when you said Roscoe Parrish was going to be out for the year. Sheesh

TigerJ
08-25-2005, 11:38 PM
I think Mark Hammister is a financial paper tiger. His bid to buy the Sabres was smoke and mirrors, and most of the real money in the deal wasn't even his. Golisano and the Rich family probably have the bucks to do it, particularly if they can work together. What about Jeremy Jacobs? Does he already have interest in another NFL team? Is he spread too thin already?

BuffaloRanger
08-25-2005, 11:56 PM
What about his wife? Wouldn't she inherit the team before the daughter?

How about a hometown discount? Ralph arranges it so the sale of the team is contingent on the team staying in Buffalo. Sells team for under market value, say 400 million, to Buffalo ownership.

Then maybe TG could use some of the money he makes on the Bills to bring the the sabres salary into the Top 25 in the NHL?

Devin
08-26-2005, 12:01 AM
I dont know all the rules involved in the sale/transfer of a team.

This topic has been hot here many times before and thats the general consensus of the teams status when Ralph passes.

Michael82
08-26-2005, 12:04 AM
What about his wife? Wouldn't she inherit the team before the daughter?

How about a hometown discount? Ralph arranges it so the sale of the team is contingent on the team staying in Buffalo. Sells team for under market value, say 400 million, to Buffalo ownership.

Then maybe TG could use some of the money he makes on the Bills to bring the the sabres salary into the Top 25 in the NHL?
If Golisano buys the Bills, he will sell the Sabres to another person in Buffalo or somewhere else.

JD
08-26-2005, 12:04 AM
I heard the samething :idunno:

JD
08-26-2005, 12:06 AM
I think Mark Hammister is a financial paper tiger. His bid to buy the Sabres was smoke and mirrors, and most of the real money in the deal wasn't even his. Golisano and the Rich family probably have the bucks to do it, particularly if they can work together. What about Jeremy Jacobs? Does he already have interest in another NFL team? Is he spread too thin already?
Golisano is most likely running for governor or something. So most of his millions will be going towards his campaign and the Sabres. The Sabres are still paying off their debts so it's quite unlikely that Mr. Golisano would step in to buy the Buffalo Bills.

Im sure Oj would buy us :peace:

northernbillfan
08-26-2005, 01:03 AM
The same noise was resounding around Edmonton when the Alberta Treasury Branch (Bank that Pocklington dealt with) was shopping them around after Pocklington's financial demise. What ended up happening was a group of people (25) got together pooled their cash and bought the Oilers. (Todd McFarlane was one of them, tho he's a silent partner)

I can see the same thing happening to the BIlls. They are a franchise deeply entrenched in the community and the people of the community would not let the team disappear. Even if it took 35 people to step up to buy the team they will stay in BUffalo just the same.

ublinkwescore
08-26-2005, 01:33 AM
The team goes to his daughter who doesnt want the team. The problem (least as I understand it) is there isnt a whole lot of people wealthy enough in the area to buy the Bills.

The NFL doesnt allow publicly owned teams anymore like the Packers have, so there are tons of theories as to what will happen, especially given Ralph's age there honestly is no telling.

Damn, I guess that rules out the local politicians lobbying to higher ups in the state to start a bill for people to vote on to buy the team and have it owned by the state of NY.

There's got to be some loophole in the NFL's new policy - they'd be doing western NY a great injustice - look at the fact that you guys (we - i may not be on the east coast, but I've got my share of Bills memorabilia) make up one of the NFL's smallest markets, yet you have no trouble selling out games.

If ever the NFL needed to look at allowing a loophole it's in this instance.

northernbillfan
08-26-2005, 01:53 AM
I hope they don't consider a conglomeration of people is a "public" group.

ublinkwescore
08-26-2005, 02:42 AM
What about TD owning the team?

You think he's got enough money to pay the death tax?

If not, what if Ralph Wilson has a pretty good idea of when he's going to expire say from health complications that require him to seek medical attention but he's still of sound mind and clearly not under the influence of coersion - could they avoid the death tax if he signs the team over to TD on condition that he keeps them in Buffalo, and turns over like 20% of the profits generated to the Wilson's offspring?

ublinkwescore
08-26-2005, 02:43 AM
I personally think TD would make a hell of an owner.

Michael82
08-26-2005, 04:51 AM
I personally think TD would make a hell of an owner.
I was thinking that myself, and he is the President of the team. I always thought that title was interesting.

YardRat
08-26-2005, 05:44 AM
Golisana will be majority owner, with a collection of Erie County minority owners footing part of the purchase.

No way they leave Buffalo.

Earthquake Enyart
08-26-2005, 06:25 AM
I just hope LA gets another team before Ralph kicks the bucket.

dannyek71
08-26-2005, 07:11 AM
If LA doesnt have a team, when Ralph dies the Bills will be moving there.

I will then stop paying attention to the NFL and drink JD and nyquil until I expire

Michael82
08-26-2005, 07:16 AM
If LA doesnt have a team, when Ralph dies the Bills will be moving there.

I will then stop paying attention to the NFL and drink JD and nyquil until I expire
I'll bet you $100 that the Bills will not move to LA.

EricStratton
08-26-2005, 07:26 AM
Any sale needs to be approved by the other owners so they will never be able to sell for less then market value since that would lower the values of other teams (on paper at least).

Most teams are leveraged to the hilt and if the value drops some banks would start calling in their money.

The team doesn’t have to be purchased by a WNY guy, a few teams are owned by outsiders (Ravens, Titans, Vikings are a few).

dannyek71
08-26-2005, 10:09 AM
I'll bet you $100 that the Bills will not move to LA.

I would make that bet with you, but its not like we could have a timetable on the bet. It prob wont happen in the next 5 yrs, but rw stadium is getting older, and the buffalo market is getting smaller while others are getting larger, tie that into new owners of the team likely coming in at least 10yrs (sadly, and I pray he lives to be 150) and you have the formula for disaster