PDA

View Full Version : To Mikey and others who think I'm overreacting...

OpIv37
08-26-2005, 11:30 PM
You can use whatever excuse you want about the Bears having "one of the better defenses in the NFL", but I don't buy it. Why? Because if we're going to have a winning season, make the playoffs and hopefully go somewhere we need to BEAT teams with good defenses. We can't do that playing like we played tonight.

Also 3 things:

1. PENALTIES
2. FUMBLES
3. MISSED XP and FG

First of all, at the NFL level a missed XP should be an automatic forfeit. Any HS kicker can come in and consistently make XP's on PERFECT snaps and holds- the reason there's only 32 FG kickers (give or take) in the NFL is because they're supposed to excel at difficult situations. Lindell obviously doesn't. More importantly, these are not the types of errors that magically go away once the season starts. They're the type of persistant errors that will cost you games and thus playoff appearances. Mularkey and Co. now have two weeks and one more practice game to figure it out.

Do I care that we lost a preseason game? Not particularly, except that one of my good friends is a Bears fan. Do I care that we played a sloppy game and would have absolutely had our asses handed to us if it was a regular season game against NE, NYJ or a whole host of other teams? HELL YES.

Dozerdog
08-26-2005, 11:40 PM
Quit over reacting

OpIv37
08-26-2005, 11:45 PM
Quit over reacting

sorry I must have forgotten my rose-colored glasses.

Drive 4 Five
08-26-2005, 11:49 PM
OpIV, Are you aware that the Colts starting Offense managed just one first down if five series against Bear's Defense? What did you expect?

Drive 4 Five
08-26-2005, 11:52 PM
By the way bro, much thanks again for the ZB's.

OpIv37
08-26-2005, 11:54 PM
OpIV, Are you aware that the Colts starting Offense managed just one first down if five series against Bear's Defense? What did you expect?

I didn't watch that game, but against us the Colts only played their starters for one series. And I still say it doesn't really matter because if we're going to win, we're going to have to find a way to move the ball against the better defenses in the league. Otherwise, you're basically conceding right from the onset and ignoring an entire phase of the game. "Well, we know we can't score on them so we might as well just try to win through defense and ST." Defense wins championships, but no one has ever won one with that formula.

OpIv37
08-26-2005, 11:54 PM
no problem on the ZB's

Drive 4 Five
08-27-2005, 12:26 AM
My take on the season is that we will continue to rough up teams like the Dolphins, Bengals, Jets, yada yada yada. However, when we play the top tier defenses LIKE CHICAGO we are going to struggle to score no doubt. Our defense and special teams are going to have to win those games for us. That's a fact we are all going to have to accept. We've known this all along. But don't worry, this team WILL, at least, be as good as we were last year. Last year we had a shot. This year, we'll have that chance again. That said, I like our chances with Losman. Definitely over Bledsoe. I'll take that **** any mother ****ing day of the week.

Devin
08-27-2005, 12:35 AM
I gotta agree with Op here.

While I am certainly not throwing in the towel that was pretty bad, our D was Stellar as usual. But Lindell once again screwed the pooch, and while our O wasnt horrible id have a hard time calling it any better then average if that. Generally just a sloppy game.

That kid Orton game in what 1? 2? series and torched our 2nd teamers. Slaughtered em.

Im not worried, but still some work to be done. And while I love JP and have the utmost faith in him for the future he has a ways to go yet.

dannyek71
08-27-2005, 12:48 AM
On that missed field goal alot was a snap. You ready to forfeit on a bad snap by a rookie?

Give me a break.....

Devin
08-27-2005, 12:48 AM
bad snap on the fg and xpt?

clumping platelets
08-27-2005, 12:55 AM
:movie:

Uncle Jesse
08-27-2005, 01:52 AM
On that missed field goal alot was a snap. You ready to forfeit on a bad snap by a rookie?

Give me a break.....
Uh, watch the replay, the hold was perfect, laces out, ball was tilte perfectly back, and he missed it. Bad snap or not, the hold was fine which is all that matters.

Devin
08-27-2005, 02:23 AM
just added to the long list of excuses for Lindell.

The_Philster
08-27-2005, 04:13 AM
Hold can't be fine if it's off by an inch or two...the ball connects with the foot at a different spot and it's all over

SquishDaFish
08-27-2005, 05:22 AM
ITS PRESEASON!! No team shows there full hand on offense in preseason. Its basic plays only. Give it a damn break. This is the first time since what early 80s that we started 2-0? Yea I would of loved to of seem undefeated but its only PRESEASON!

don137
08-27-2005, 05:54 AM
It is only pre-season and the offence was very vanilla. However, I was very concerned about how the starting O line created no holes for WM. Its still way to early to panic about the offense but I am not panicking by any stretch but am a little concerned by it.

eee1776
08-27-2005, 06:59 AM
To me the team seamed tired and ready to get the preseason over with. I agree with Don that we played a very basic offence. Lyndell is my main concern the four points he gave up with the missed extra point and the missed field goal. I know there are better kickers out there looking for work.

Historian
08-27-2005, 07:25 AM
I think you're over-reacting, but on the other hand, the play was sloppy, and the execution stunk. I'm amazed no one was hurt.

Re: the snap. It was bad. Moorman had all he could do to get it down. It seemed to me, (and I get the game in high definition) that everyone's forearms were glistening with sweat. It must have been very humid. That could have led to some of the mishaps for both teams.

How about those Chicago special teams? I believe they were caught either holding, or blocking in the back on every punt. Even Marv noticed it.

Night Train
08-27-2005, 07:32 AM
It's OK to have concern about certain aspects of our team. Criticism is justified when execution is poor. I think we have an average team which could improve over the course of the season but it's not without blemishes.

Still, most here can decipher the difference between a fan giving a balanced review and someone who would rather stand at the wailing wall. That means the team is actually hopeless ( hardly ) or attention can be garnered quickly with a " Look At Me " negative post.

Time to look elsewhere for a balanced review.

Typ0
08-27-2005, 09:11 AM
I was so happy with the game...it was great for the bills to experience that and understand they can't clutch on to a small lead and win games. Some of you guys don't even sound like football fans. Those are the types of games you get involved with sometimes...and it's not an excuse the Bears D is top knotch. JP did everything we need him to do last night. I was really happy when his legs were moving he stayed focused down the field and if there was an open man he got him the ball. You have to admit the guy can get the ball out of there like lightning and he didn't make one "bad" throw all night. Granted a few could have been better especially the one that went a little too high in the end zone. We definately need to make those plays for the O to be doing their jobs. I also really enjoy his respect for Moulds strengths and the way he's willing to throw the ball out there for him. The bottom line is JP is in command every moment and it was good to see the offense struggle and him remain focused. Sometimes football games get ugly and I'm so sick of seeing a deer in headlights back there this is a welcome change for me. Call it an excuse if you want...if the Bears stay healthy they are an excellent defense...and they are the kind of defense you work with the run throughout the game and wear them down. I strongly feel had the starters remained in the success with McGahee would have been there in the 4th to put the game away. The defense wasn't giving a lot and JP was working very hard yet not forcing something and making a mistake. In those types of games you have to remain focused and keep chipping away...and we did.

don137
08-27-2005, 09:35 AM
Just be thankful we do not have the Bears offense. I think Mathews could be the opening day starter at QB for them. Hutchinson looks like RJ's long lost brother...

BTW, good analysis Typ0

dannyek71
08-27-2005, 11:04 AM
Uh, watch the replay, the hold was perfect, laces out, ball was tilte perfectly back, and he missed it. Bad snap or not, the hold was fine which is all that matters.

we're talking about the bills vs bears game from last night

BAM
08-27-2005, 12:00 PM
Pre-

Season

Meathead
08-27-2005, 12:02 PM
Hold can't be fine if it's off by an inch or two...the ball connects with the foot at a different spot and it's all over
Definitely. When Moorman put it on the ground it was leaning heavily backwards (flattened) and he was raising it to it's proper place while Lindell was already kicking. By the time he hit it the ball was a lot more upright but it still had a backwards lean to it. Usually that ball will still go through, that time it didn't.

This Lindell bashing is baseless. He's been one of the most accurate kickers in the league for the past four years, he's absolute money on game winning/tying kicks, never missed an XP (reg season), and now he's added more distance to his kicks and ko's.

But it's your right as a fan to boo anybody you want. So have fun!

Devin
08-27-2005, 12:04 PM
He's been one of the most accurate kickers in the league for the past four years, he's absolute money on game winning/tying kicks

Yeah, Lindell is Mr.Clutch.

G. Host
08-27-2005, 01:04 PM
Bad snap results in timing being off. Bills were trying to determine if Duke Preston was good enough to snap to save a roster space and he isn't yet.

dannyek71
08-27-2005, 02:37 PM
Bad snap results in timing being off. Bills were trying to determine if Duke Preston was good enough to snap to save a roster space and he isn't yet.
Agreed. You could, at the very least, tell that Lindell's timeing was thrown off.

Typ0
08-27-2005, 02:51 PM
seems that RL's timing is thrown off when the wind blows too.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
08-27-2005, 03:38 PM
Your overreacting :snicker:

ParanoidAndroid
08-27-2005, 03:54 PM
I like TypO's realization about the offense struggling. There is some truth to the idea that it becomes a wake up call when that happens in pre-season. However, that is true only to a degree. I would have liked to see at least one long, sustained drive.

On a secondary note, I think about the reason that Buffalo brought JP here. It was because of the things he was able to do behind that porous line at Tulane. When the offensive line begins to struggle, JP kicks into gear and does his thing and that allows him to grow into the NFL quarterback that we will appreciate over the next 5 years.

shotgun
08-27-2005, 06:34 PM
whp cares what mikey thinks he is nothing but a jay leno look a like