• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr. Cynical
    Maybe?
    • Oct 2003

Why can't TD do this?

From PFW:

We hear that Patriots first-round pick Logan Mankins has made a smooth transition to the NFL level and appears to have solidified his starting OLG spot. In fact, Patrick Pass ran behind him for New England's first touchdown vs. the Saints in the second preseason game.
    TD needed to do this years ago and we still don't have a top flight oline. But as you can see, it looks like BB is once again quietly building a line that will continue to protect Brady, making him look like Montana. It's no wonder they keep on winning.

I wish TD and Co. could get it right. Until our oline is fixed, we're not going anywhere.

Also MM seems to recognize our offensive offensive line:

The Bills went into the game intending to run the ball, but were ineffective with the Bears putting "eight men in the box."

Normally that dictates passing and Losman admitted he had open receivers but failed to connect (9-of-18 for 82 yards).

But Mularkey felt that was oversimplifying.

"We had eight blockers there too," he said of the running game. "But we didn't do a good job on 3rd-and-1 and 3rd-and-2 and we should have been able to get that."
  • clumping platelets

Re: Why can't TD do this?

In regular season, maybe they try to pass

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
      Maybe?
      • Oct 2003

Originally posted by clumping platelets
      In regular season, maybe they try to pass

Not sure what that has to do with my point....

Comment

• Dozerdog
        In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
        • Jul 2002

I can hear the outrage on these boards if TD drafted Logan Mankins- somebody no one ever heard of. Or Matt Cassell, that backup QB Bill Bellichick draftred in Rd 7, a guy who never started a college game. Mankins would have been there a few rounds later, and Cassell would have been easily an UDFA.

But then again, you guys ***** and moan when we draft good players. Grass is always greener in the other guy's yard I guess.

Comment

• X-Era
          What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
          TD needed to do this years ago and we still don't have a top flight oline. But as you can see, it looks like BB is once again quietly building a line that will continue to protect Brady, making him look like Montana. It's no wonder they keep on winning.

I wish TD and Co. could get it right. Until our oline is fixed, we're not going anywhere.

Absolutely right, They have alot of 1st round O-lineman after all...well...they have 1...and we have 1...ohh forget it.

Gorin-7th round, Neal-undrafted, Hochstein-5th round, Light- 2nd round, Mankins-1st round

Gandy- 3rd round, Anderson- undrafted, Teague-7th round, Villarial-5th round, Williams-1st round

Well the DO have that 2nd rounder over our 3rd rounder. Feel ridiculous yet?

Dont even try, it doesnt work. Where's Kenyatta Walker? Its a crap shoot and the leagues best teams as far as OL goes have starters that are mostly undrafted or later rounders. Look at Den and NE.

Comment

• X-Era
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Mr. Cynical

Sorry, didnt actually answer your question. The answer is: drafting 1st round o-lineman is no guarantee of having a stellar o-line. Facts seem to point to simply plug guys in undrafted, late rounders, etc... like NE and then scheme and coach them well. Hmmmm, thats what were doing, only youhavent seen it yet becaseu its pre-season. Throw a timer on this thread, plug it back in in about 5 weeks. Chances are good it will look silly then.

Comment

• Dozerdog
              In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
              • Jul 2002

The other side of the coin is that you will hear guys ***** and moan about a Mike Williams' contract- "how can you pay a guy like that?????"

Well duhhhh...the higher you draft a guy, the more money he will soak up under the cap. You can't draft OL high and then decide you're not going to pay them 1st round money.

Many teams have the philosophy of drafting OL later because the talent drop off isn't that great. 300 pound guys are a dime a dozen, and it's technique you teach them that makes them servicable.

Some teams do build from the inside out- and spend a lot of high picks up front. But those teams many times wind up without high priced talent at the skill positions- and they grind it out every game.

Comment

• X-Era
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                The other side of the coin is that you will hear guys ***** and moan about a Mike Williams' contract- "how can you pay a guy like that?????"

Well duhhhh...the higher you draft a guy, the more money he will soak up under the cap. You can't draft OL high and then decide you're not going to pay them 1st round money.

Many teams have the philosophy of drafting OL later because the talent drop off isn't that great. 300 pound guys are a dime a dozen, and it's technique you teach them that makes them servicable.

Some teams do build from the inside out- and spend a lot of high picks up front. But those teams many times wind up without high priced talent at the skill positions- and they grind it out every game.
                EXACTLY right! NE, DE prove that point. The only exception is at LT and even then its a crap shoot. You look at Pace, Glenn, Jones and you could argue that a high round LT makes a difference. But Logan Mankins? for NE it makes sens I suppose,they lost 2 G's and Woody the year before. At some point you have to try to get good replacements. Personally I would have signed FA or kept Andruzzi, who by the way was NOT a 1st rounder.

Our O-line TALENT is fine. Its all in technique and scheme. NFL network did a whole thing on Denvers zone blocking and why that makes them so potent. Im not sure if we do it, but why the hell not.

Comment

• mayotm
                  • Jul 2003

Great posts by Dozerdog and jp-era. I'm not sure how anybody can criticize how the Bills have drafted during the TD era. In addition to that, they have done a great job signing some talented undrafted free agents. All the complainers on this board will be right back on the bandwagon when the Bills are winning this year.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                    • May 2003

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                    I can hear the outrage on these boards if TD drafted Logan Mankins- somebody no one ever heard of. Or Matt Cassell, that backup QB Bill Bellichick draftred in Rd 7, a guy who never started a college game. Mankins would have been there a few rounds later, and Cassell would have been easily an UDFA.

But then again, you guys ***** and moan when we draft good players. Grass is always greener in the other guy's yard I guess.
                    Dozer, you are absolutely right. They really reached for both of those guys.
                    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Meathead
                      Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                      • Jul 2002

The Bills' strategy regarding their OL is crystal clear - they are watching closely for cast-offs from other teams for guys they think they can work with and then leaving it up to the best OL coach in the league to make them overachieve. It saves them big money on their cap yet gets them a quality line. Then they can spend those savings on skill players elsewhere.

Sounds great to me.
                      One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                        Maybe?
                        • Oct 2003

Say whatever you want about 1st round busts, FAs, etc, etc, etc. That's not my point. Tell me the last time our oline was very good. How many more years do you want to wait?

"All that matters is the result on the field."

Comment

Working...
                        X