PDA

View Full Version : An analysis after attending and viewing the game last night.

ShadowHawk7
08-27-2005, 03:48 PM
First, an answer to JP-Era's thread.

1) JP Losman- made plays all preseason. I can count on 1 hand how many mistakes he has made in 3 games now. Accurate, arm like a friggin bazooka, great pocket presence, doesnt take many sacks, makes plays when everything goes to crap. Flutie with height and arm like Manning, HMMMMM. And he hasnt started a single regular season game...and this is a bad thing? NOT

2) Defense- So let me see, we have given up 2 TD's in 3 games with our starting D. We have taken 2 turnovers back for TD's, have had tons of sacks, and held teams to like nothing as far as yards. Worrying/off.

Things to watch with some apprehension:

1) McGahee- I can barely even say this because last season showed I should no better. But, seems to be going down a touch too easy and isnt getting yards at TD's like we would hope. Is he simply playing down because its preseason? Maybe, see Sam Adams and others.

2) Bennie Anderson- Seems to get way too many penalties. Very fixable.

3) OL depth- after Duke Preston and maybe Jason Peters we got jack squat far as I can see. Greg Jerman should be watching NFL games from a redneck bar with toothless women hammered off his a_s. He seriously might be the worst O-lineman I have ever seen. He makes Corey Louchey look like Orlando Pace.

Thats it. What the hell is the problem?

Our QB is better than last year, our OL is a bit worse but will jell with time, McGahee should be at least as good as last year. Our D looks to be even better than last year, our special teams are stellar. Add it all up and we have a very very good shot to make the playoffs.

1) Last night was definitley not Willis McGahee's fault. The run blocking was average at best. For every play a hole was opened, and Willis picked up at least 5 yards, there would be 3 plays where there was no where to go, and he got stuffed. I guarentee you, LT would of had very similar stats had he been there instead last night. Don't give me the "8 men in the box crap", we had at least 8 blocking, and last night, many couldn't cut it. (more on that later)

2) Bennie was nasty bad, and hasn't impressed me yet this preseason. He barely held his own pass blocking, and couldn't create any push at all, which was supposedly his strength. I'd like to see Tucker back there for a bit to see what he could do.

3) About the backups, Tucker, Peters, and Preston did good pass blocking, and did an decent job run blocking, except for Preston.

About Jerman, seriously JP-Era, if he's even close to as bad as you said he is, do you think McNally would of played him w/ the starters after Williams got nicked up? If you were at the game, and viewed the film multiple times like I did, you could see that he did an admirable job, and, IMO, did a better job than Anderson. The sack wasn't his fault, Anderson let another guy thru and JP avoided him right into Jerman's guy. I'm not saying he's amazing, but I'm perplexed why you say he sucks so bad, when in reality, you don't know what you talking about.

More notes on the game:

Postives: :comedy:
-Gandy held own, was fairly impressive, and sprung Willis twice on big runs.
-MW was dominant at the point most of the time
-Very few drops by the WRs this game
-Haddad with another great return may have solidified his spot, had two catches, one was nullified by a penalty.
-Aiken had a nice game w/ 4 catches
-Smith two great catches and made the competiton at WR even closer.
-Wilson got open consistently, and had a catch or two called back.
-Jerman looked good
-the Dline looked great, and the standout was definitley Edwards
-Spikes was a beast again, and made that amazing play w/ Clements. THis guy has some serious ball skills, and we should try him at goalline TE sometime.
-Clements. Enough said. I'm begining to think we might HAVE to keep this guy.
-Our Safeties played well
- The Orton drive pitted the Bears first team O against the Bills backups.

Negatives: :horror:
-Run blocking was really average and inconsistent
-JP made a few more errors than what should of happened. He missed a wide open Wilson in the endzone, made some other inaccurate throws, and lost 20 yards on a fumbled snap.
-What happened to downfield passing?
-Lindell, missing a XP and a 46 yarder.
-Fletcher was the weak link in the defense, as I saw him miss 3 specific tackles, that led to big gains in the ground game. (including the 40 yard run)
-Pass blocking wasn't good enough, as our QBs often couldn't wait for the WRs to develop their routes.
-Interior blocking was terrible, Anderson, Vill, and Teague all got pushed around, and rarely opened holes.
-Where the hell is S Williams?
-Gates couldn't get much going, but much of that was due to blocking.
-JP didn't do enough to force the D back and respect the pass.
-Shelton missed a few blocks that led to stuffs of McGahee.

Overall, a very sloppy performance. It's only preseason, thankfully, and Mularky will undoubtedly work to fix these mistakes. McNally has his work cut out for him this week.

Comments are welcome.

X-Era
08-27-2005, 07:04 PM
First, an answer to JP-Era's thread.

1) Last night was definitley not Willis McGahee's fault. The run blocking was average at best. For every play a hole was opened, and Willis picked up at least 5 yards, there would be 3 plays where there was no where to go, and he got stuffed. I guarentee you, LT would of had very similar stats had he been there instead last night. Don't give me the "8 men in the box crap", we had at least 8 blocking, and last night, many couldn't cut it. (more on that later)

2) Bennie was nasty bad, and hasn't impressed me yet this preseason. He barely held his own pass blocking, and couldn't create any push at all, which was supposedly his strength. I'd like to see Tucker back there for a bit to see what he could do.

3) About the backups, Tucker, Peters, and Preston did good pass blocking, and did an decent job run blocking, except for Preston.

About Jerman, seriously JP-Era, if he's even close to as bad as you said he is, do you think McNally would of played him w/ the starters after Williams got nicked up? If you were at the game, and viewed the film multiple times like I did, you could see that he did an admirable job, and, IMO, did a better job than Anderson. The sack wasn't his fault, Anderson let another guy thru and JP avoided him right into Jerman's guy. I'm not saying he's amazing, but I'm perplexed why you say he sucks so bad, when in reality, you don't know what you talking about.

More notes on the game:

Postives: :comedy:
-Gandy held own, was fairly impressive, and sprung Willis twice on big runs.
-MW was dominant at the point most of the time
-Very few drops by the WRs this game
-Haddad with another great return may have solidified his spot, had two catches, one was nullified by a penalty.
-Aiken had a nice game w/ 4 catches
-Smith two great catches and made the competiton at WR even closer.
-Wilson got open consistently, and had a catch or two called back.
-Jerman looked good
-the Dline looked great, and the standout was definitley Edwards
-Spikes was a beast again, and made that amazing play w/ Clements. THis guy has some serious ball skills, and we should try him at goalline TE sometime.
-Clements. Enough said. I'm begining to think we might HAVE to keep this guy.
-Our Safeties played well
- The Orton drive pitted the Bears first team O against the Bills backups.

Negatives: :horror:
-Run blocking was really average and inconsistent
-JP made a few more errors than what should of happened. He missed a wide open Wilson in the endzone, made some other inaccurate throws, and lost 20 yards on a fumbled snap.
-What happened to downfield passing?
-Lindell, missing a XP and a 46 yarder.
-Fletcher was the weak link in the defense, as I saw him miss 3 specific tackles, that led to big gains in the ground game. (including the 40 yard run)
-Pass blocking wasn't good enough, as our QBs often couldn't wait for the WRs to develop their routes.
-Interior blocking was terrible, Anderson, Vill, and Teague all got pushed around, and rarely opened holes.
-Where the hell is S Williams?
-Gates couldn't get much going, but much of that was due to blocking.
-Shelton missed a few blocks that led to stuffs of McGahee.

Overall, a very sloppy performance. It's only preseason, thankfully, and Mularky will undoubtedly work to fix these mistakes. McNally has his work cut out for him this week.

Comments are welcome.
You must be Jermans brother or something, because only brotherly love would protect him from the criticism he deserves. The guy is terrible!! I have personally wtched him at least 5 times do his best imitation of a merry go round. I have also watched Anderson take too many penalties and let a few guys through. Anderson also has thrown some nice run blocks and has sprung McGahee a few times. As far as not knowing what Im talking about, Ill let a "scholar" such as you be the judge.

The rest of the stuff you spew is pretty much what I have said and I agree with it all.

AndreReed83
08-27-2005, 07:26 PM

I'd blame play calling on this. The strategy yesterday was so conservative and short. It seemed to really handicap the offense. Why not stack the box every play when you know passes are going to be 5 yards and under?

colin
08-27-2005, 11:12 PM
we don't have a good O, not with who we have out there yet.

our new rook TE and WR are both hurt, and Euhas is down.

we didn't play our second string RB at all either.

JP is young and green as hell, and we played a full strength chicago D that is VERY good, particularly against the run.

the bottom line is until we get all of our weapons and JP figures some things out, we are going to struggle big time against strong run Ds.

this isn't that bad tho, we don't give up sacks or bad picks/fumbles inspite of pass rushers, JP and our young O is going to get better over games, something that didn't happen with Bledsoe.

mix in the fact that in a real game jp is going to run and make plays with his legs, and that our ST and D is the best bar none, we can get 11 or so wins this year and be playing our best ball late in the year.

our first few games are not against power run Ds (atlanta is not as good as their ranking last year, tampa ain't who they used to be) and we should win a few early.

if we can beat the pats in b-lo, then we are as good as we could possible expect, that is the real test IMO.

getting to the post season is what matters, there is almost no chance of us having home throughout, so we wil have to win on the road anyway, so if we win the division or go as the last wildcard it works out the same.