• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Dose of reality thread....

I've been getting a lot of negative reps from my criticism of this weekend's game. I'm not sure who they're from, but I'm guessing Fairway and Typo since they've had the most ardent responses to my posts.

I have to say this- some of you are in for a big disappointment this season. Consider the following:

1. Penalties in all 3 preseason games
    2. 3 fumbles against Chicago- 3!!!!
    3. Good running against Indy, average running against GB and poor running against Chicago- the O line sucks and isn't going to be able to take pressure off of JP. Also we have no depth, and we're pretty much hosed with one injury.
    4. Ron Edwards is no Pat Williams
    5. JP made some plays that can cost the game.

For those of you who think I'm being too hard on JP- I made one comment in an overall team criticism on Friday night and started one thread on Saturday after watching the game on NFL Network- everyone jumped on me about it so I felt the need to defend myself. All along everyone has said that all JP has to do is not lose games for us- I can think of at least 3 plays in preseason that JP made that would have cost us the game.

Again, I don't expect him to be mistake-free. Against GB, there was one play when he ran when a receiver was open, and another play when he threw to a covered man when there was 20 yards of open running room in front of him. Who cares? He's inexperienced- he'll learn. It's the plays where he flails around like Michael Vick in a whorehouse and runs 20 yards backwards or throws into triple coverage that have me really concerned, because those are the plays where he fails to "not lose". I don't want him benched because he needs experience- I'm just saying I don't think he's ready to get it done yet. If you think he is, you're in for a disappointment this year.

As far as Ron Edwards goes, show me one play in the last two preseason games (cuz those are the ones I still have) where he did something that was anything better than average. I haven't seen it yet and I've been trying to watch him as much as possible.

To those who say "there was no game plan": Game plans don't prevent penalties. Game plans don't keep the ball off the turf. Game plans don't prevent the offensive linemen from whiffing on blocks.

To those who say Chicago has a good D: News flash: we're going to have to run against teams with good D's to get into the playoffs. If we can't do it, we don't deserve to be there.

It comes down to this: I'm getting negged for judging Losman, Edwards and the rest of the team by what I saw on the field instead of being a homer and believing the hype. To some of you, ignorance is bliss.

Believe me- I HOPE I'm wrong. I hope we just had an off night or I'm being too judgemental, because all the problems I've seen can't be corrected in two weeks, and that's all the time we have. But come mid-November when we're struggling to stay at .500, I'm going to bump this thread with a big I TOLD YOU SO.

If I'm wrong, feel free to rip on me and neg me all you want when the time comes.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Re: Dose of reality thread....

Okay, after this thread and the way you ended it with the I told you so....

You have now earned your Wys nickname.

Nice job.

Comment

• The_Philster
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mikey82
      Okay, after this thread and the way you ended it with the I told you so....You have now earned your Wys nickname. Nice job.
      Ouch!!
      The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Nice job.
        oh come on now- I know I'm pessimistic like him but don't I have to repeat the same stat 40 times and come up with bizarre numbers like "if you ignore Losman's first 9 completions he was 0-9 on the day" before I get that nickname?
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• feelthepain
          All-Pro Zoner
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37
          I've been getting a lot of negative reps from my criticism of this weekend's game. I'm not sure who they're from, but I'm guessing Fairway and Typo since they've had the most ardent responses to my posts.

I have to say this- some of you are in for a big disappointment this season. Consider the following:

1. Penalties in all 3 preseason games
          2. 3 fumbles against Chicago- 3!!!!
          3. Good running against Indy, average running against GB and poor running against Chicago- the O line sucks and isn't going to be able to take pressure off of JP. Also we have no depth, and we're pretty much hosed with one injury.
          4. Ron Edwards is no Pat Williams
          5. JP made some plays that can cost the game.

For those of you who think I'm being too hard on JP- I made one comment in an overall team criticism on Friday night and started one thread on Saturday after watching the game on NFL Network- everyone jumped on me about it so I felt the need to defend myself. All along everyone has said that all JP has to do is not lose games for us- I can think of at least 3 plays in preseason that JP made that would have cost us the game.

Again, I don't expect him to be mistake-free. Against GB, there was one play when he ran when a receiver was open, and another play when he threw to a covered man when there was 20 yards of open running room in front of him. Who cares? He's inexperienced- he'll learn. It's the plays where he flails around like Michael Vick in a whorehouse and runs 20 yards backwards or throws into triple coverage that have me really concerned, because those are the plays where he fails to "not lose". I don't want him benched because he needs experience- I'm just saying I don't think he's ready to get it done yet. If you think he is, you're in for a disappointment this year.

As far as Ron Edwards goes, show me one play in the last two preseason games (cuz those are the ones I still have) where he did something that was anything better than average. I haven't seen it yet and I've been trying to watch him as much as possible.

To those who say "there was no game plan": Game plans don't prevent penalties. Game plans don't keep the ball off the turf. Game plans don't prevent the offensive linemen from whiffing on blocks.

To those who say Chicago has a good D: News flash: we're going to have to run against teams with good D's to get into the playoffs. If we can't do it, we don't deserve to be there.

It comes down to this: I'm getting negged for judging Losman, Edwards and the rest of the team by what I saw on the field instead of being a homer and believing the hype. To some of you, ignorance is bliss.

Believe me- I HOPE I'm wrong. I hope we just had an off night or I'm being too judgemental, because all the problems I've seen can't be corrected in two weeks, and that's all the time we have. But come mid-November when we're struggling to stay at .500, I'm going to bump this thread with a big I TOLD YOU SO.

If I'm wrong, feel free to rip on me and neg me all you want when the time comes.
          It's good to be realistic about your clubs ability. I know the Bills aren't as good as some here think and their not as bad as others think. It's only preseason and the Bills aren't really trying to win these preseason games. They are trying to see who plays best where and in the process they get beat on plays and miss assignments. It's what preseason is for. I think the fans that flip out when teams lose or act like SB contenders when their team wins are idots that don't understand the game or the process and purpose of pre season. I think if you can't understand preseason, then how on gods green earth are you going to understand the regular season?? Bill fans that bust my chops over a preseason game like it has anything to do with the regular season are the ones I'm talking about.

It's like they refuse to grasp the concept. Who cares what JP's numers are or how many yrds Willis runs for, the nubers or the results are nothing more then game film for the coaches to tweak and to use for strategy and seeing who stays and who goes. I think the real fans that understand football and the process involved in a season understand preseason is to get people up to playing speed and evaluating the new talent and creating matchups that will favor your team during the season. That's it, that's all.

Comment

• Meathead
            Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
            • Jul 2002

Nice job.
            Yes, but does he make the world's best wing sauce? I think not.
            One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Nice job.
              I must admit I'm starting to understand why Wys left. Granted he was overly critical, but every time someone points out a flaw in the team on this board, a bunch of homers close their eyes, put their index fingers in their ears and yell "LA LA LA LA" at the top of their lungs. Then the person who made the criticism gets accused of not being a "real" fan- it's pathetic.

Originally posted by feelthepain
              It's good to be realistic about your clubs ability. I know the Bills aren't as good as some here think and their not as bad as others think. It's only preseason and the Bills aren't really trying to win these preseason games. They are trying to see who plays best where and in the process they get beat on plays and miss assignments. It's what preseason is for. I think the fans that flip out when teams lose or act like SB contenders when their team wins are idots that don't understand the game or the process and purpose of pre season. I think if you can't understand preseason, then how on gods green earth are you going to understand the regular season?? Bill fans that bust my chops over a preseason game like it has anything to do with the regular season are the ones I'm talking about.

It's like they refuse to grasp the concept. Who cares what JP's numers are or how many yrds Willis runs for, the nubers or the results are nothing more then game film for the coaches to tweak and to use for strategy and seeing who stays and who goes. I think the real fans that understand football and the process involved in a season understand preseason is to get people up to playing speed and evaluating the new talent and creating matchups that will favor your team during the season. That's it, that's all.
              Good post but there are some problems that come to light in preseason that won't just magically disappear once the regular season starts- ie I haven't been following the Dolphins much this offseason, but I did hear that Feely had some problems with his accuracy. I'm sure you don't expect him to come in and throw perfect strikes every time once the games count.

Originally posted by Meathead
              Not yet but I'm working on an industrial espionage strategy that will allow me to swipe Wy's recipes and sell them as my own at a discounted price by utilizing Indonesian slave labor in the production process.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Michael82
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Meathead
                True. Speaking of which....

Wys Wings will be at the Buffalo Wing Fest next weekend. I'm there!

Comment

• Michael82
                  • Jul 2002

okay OpIv....I think you have some good points, but I still say that we are seeing a very vanilla team in this PRESEASON and the OL is still gelling. I won't panic like you are until I see them in a couple regular games first.

I also believe without my rose colored glasses that the Bills are a lot better than you think and am so confident that they aren't going to struggle severely and suck like you say...that I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is...

I'll bet you 50,000 Zonebucks that the Bills will be 5-3 by the Bye week. I also am willing to do a cash bet if you want to do that too.

What little bit I've seen from this team has impressed me. JP Losman is struggling a bit, but he's a rookie. That's expected. Losman has done some stupid things, but his good has outweighed his bad. The left side of the line is brand new and they gotta gell together first. As for Ron Edwards, I feel you aren't giving him a chance, just like Wys never gave Sam Adams a chance and look at what happened there.

Again, I see your cause for concern and am a little bit worried, but then I realize that it's only August 28th and the Bills are still playing meaningless games. The players themselves admit that they don't play their hardest. I bet that McGahee is one of those type players.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                    My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                    • Apr 2004

Pre-season games are often deceiving. So far I've seen threads bashing Edwards, Anderson, Lindell, Reed, our backup RB's, and of course, Losman. Why waste so much energy composing lengthy posts about how we are going to suck? What is accomplished? I can understand not wanting to set yourself up for disappointment, but you're kind of busting everyones orange in the process. You may be right, but you also may be wrong about a few things. We could suck or we could be good. I'll watch the games and see how it unfolds.

Comment

• Michael82
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by andyxc71
                      Pre-season games are often deceiving. So far I've seen threads bashing Edwards, Anderson, Lindell, Reed, our backup RB's, and of course, Losman. Why waste so much energy composing lengthy posts about how we are going to suck? What is accomplished? I can understand not wanting to set yourself up for disappointment, but you're kind of busting everyones orange in the process. You may be right, but you also may be wrong about a few things. We could suck or we could be good. I'll watch the games and see how it unfolds.
                      Great post!

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                        My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                        • Apr 2004

The players themselves admit that they don't play their hardest. I bet that McGahee is one of those type players.
                        Exactly.

I saw the first two games and Willis didn't seem to be hitting the holes like he did during the season. I noticed that right away.

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

okay OpIv....I think you have some good points, but I still say that we are seeing a very vanilla team in this PRESEASON and the OL is still gelling. I won't panic like you are until I see them in a couple regular games first.

I also believe without my rose colored glasses that the Bills are a lot better than you think and am so confident that they aren't going to struggle severely and suck like you say...that I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is...

I'll bet you 50,000 Zonebucks that the Bills will be 5-3 by the Bye week. I also am willing to do a cash bet if you want to do that too.

What little bit I've seen from this team has impressed me. JP Losman is struggling a bit, but he's a rookie. That's expected. Losman has done some stupid things, but his good has outweighed his bad. The left side of the line is brand new and they gotta gell together first. As for Ron Edwards, I feel you aren't giving him a chance, just like Wys never gave Sam Adams a chance and look at what happened there.

Again, I see your cause for concern and am a little bit worried, but then I realize that it's only August 28th and the Bills are still playing meaningless games. The players themselves admit that they don't play their hardest. I bet that McGahee is one of those type players.

I don't have 50,000 but make it 25,000 and you've got yourself a bet. No way we're 5-3 or better at the break. Again, this is a bet I WANT to lose, because I don't want to see us struggling. But based on what I've seen, I'm really concerned.

I do think we're better off with Losman than Bledsoe but I just think he needs another year.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by andyxc71
                            I hope I'm wrong about a lot of things- I'm just calling like I see it, because like I already said, there are a lot of problems that become evident in preseason which won't magically go away once the real season starts.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Meathead
                              Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
                              I'm working on an industrial espionage strategy that will allow me to swipe Wy's recipes and sell them as my own at a discounted price by utilizing Indonesian slave labor in the production process.
                              Reports out of Washington state that Wys has WMD and is trying to buy yellow cake from Africa so be careful.

btw - I'll be at the wing fest sometime next weekend but I'm just not sure when. My dad and I are playing in that TheDraft2005 FF league at the Seneca Casino and their events are Sat and Sun at 1-4. We'll probably go to Pilot field one of those two days afterwards.

btw2 - I thought it was very funny that in the promo ad on the wing fest website the Wys Wings text was much longer than the other products. lol.
                              One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

Working...
                              X