PDA

View Full Version : Arizona State's Suggs, McDonald declare for NFL

The_Philster
01-02-2003, 06:01 PM
TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) — Minutes after receiving the inaugural Ted Hendricks Award as the nation's best defensive end, Terrell Suggs announced that he was leaving Arizona State for the NFL draft. Wide receiver Shaun McDonald also opted to turn pro, disclosing his intentions at a joint news conference Thursday.

"It's an opportunity right now that I just can't let pass," Suggs said. "My mom made a brilliant point about, it'd be kind of hard to come back and do it again. You only can play football for so long before your body takes a beating. I'd rather go right now. There's really nothing left for me to do in college football."

Dirk Koetter, who coached the Sun Devils (8-6) to their best season since 1997 in his second year with the program, supported both players in their decision.

"We don't have any players on the team who don't have the dream of playing in the NFL," Koetter said. "The way the rules are, after a guy has completed three years of college, he has a chance to move on, and the NFL basically guarantees them where they're going to be picked." ....more (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/pac10/2003-01-02-suggs-draft_x.htm)