• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RedEyE
    • Jul 2002

Coaching Carousel (Gilbride to Cincy??)

......COACHING CAROUSEL:

Gregg Williams enters year three of a three-year deal and while the team's five-game improvement appears to be satisfactory progress, owner Ralph Wilson and GM Tom Donahoe are reserving the right to clarify Williams' future until after a sweeping year-end review of the organization.

Donahoe said it wouldn't be unprecedented for a coach to enter the final year of his contract as a "lame duck." What makes Williams' situation complicated is that the contracts of all of his assistant coaches are set to expire, except for coordinators Kevin Gilbride and Jerry Gray. Any head coach with only a year on his deal is in a compromised position when it comes to organizing a decent staff.

That could warrant Williams' getting an extension through say 2004, allowing him to re-up his assistants for two seasons and giving him enough time to complete Buffalo's rebuilding project.

Donahoe has cut Williams a lot of slack, considering he stuck him with a roster the past two years gutted by salary-cap cuts and "dead" money. Williams' game-day decision making has been very questionable, but in general, his team has made progress and he's well-respected by the players.

Meanwhile, one stipulation in Williams' keeping his job could be that he shake up his staff - last year he was forced to fire offensive coordinator Mike Sheppard and bring in Gilbride.

Firing Gray this time would also be justified - the Bills have allowed the second- and third most points in team history under his guidance (420 and 397). Buffalo did make strides the final month of this season, however, and with another round of player upgrades, Williams could convince Wilson that Gray is a good, young coach who also deserves to keep working on establishing the kind of 4-3 defense the two put together in Tennessee.

Off Buffalo's offensive success and his work resurrecting Drew Bledsoe's career, Gilbride, former head coach in San Diego, might earn an interview for the Cincinnati Bengals' head job. The Bengals will be breaking in a young quarterback, either Carson Palmer or Byron Leftwich, two players who will be dreamboats after Gilbride's experience with Ryan Leaf.

Finally, there are definitely two holes Williams has to plug on his staff if it returns as is: defensive line coach John Levra has retired and quarterbacks coach Steve Kragthorpe is the new head coach at Tulsa.

Assistant O'Neill Gilbert could be promoted to replace Levra and Gilbride, if he stays, may merely assume the quarterbacks coach position, something he's done in the past.......

article provided by USAtoday.com http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...bills/home.htm
    Last edited by RedEyE; 01-02-2003, 08:16 PM.
  • Earthquake Enyart
    Legendary Zoner
    • Jul 2002

Be still my heart.

Could we can Gilbride and bring in Buddy Ryan??

Comment

• RedEyE
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
      Be still my heart.

Comment

• German
        It doesn't make me any less of a man.
        • Jul 2002

If Gilbride should go to Cincy that could mean the end for Williams.

Going into next season as a lame duck will make it really hard for Wialliams to attract proven/talented coaches.

TD and Wilson might just use the situation to start from scratch (staff wise).

Just a thought.

Comment

• RedEyE
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by German
          TD and Wilson might just use the situation to start from scratch (staff wise).

Just a thought.
          They might as well at that point. I guess my only Q is will Gilbride be interested in being a head coach again. His last attempt was below satisfactory and may have spoiled his appetite for control. Another thought: I would be bold enough to say that TD and Wilson like Gilbride more than Williams. If Gilbride is offered a head position in Cincy, perhaps TD would consider dropping GW and premoting KG in order to retain his offensive mind. (Defensive coaches are a dime a dozen right now.)
          Last edited by RedEyE; 01-02-2003, 07:22 PM.

Comment

• Dozerdog
            In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
            • Jul 2002

Coughlin!!!

Comment

• BADTHINGSMAN
              • Oct 2002

I dont think Cincy will take a QB in the first 3 rounds. Batch has done alright at QB. There much bigger problems to fill in Cincy. They need everything but a QB. They would be stupid to take a QB #1. Everytime a QB does poorly there they draft a new one. Stick with Batch and get some Line help.

Whatever happened to the 2 stars they got all hyped about?
              Peter Warrick
              Akili Smith

With Spikes leaving they need another LB.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                Coughlin!!!
                Nyquil works Dozer....
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• RedEyE
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by silent_one
                  I dont think Cincy will take a QB in the first 3 rounds. Batch has done alright at QB. There much bigger problems to fill in Cincy. They need everything but a QB. They would be stupid to take a QB #1. Everytime a QB does poorly there they draft a new one. Stick with Batch and get some Line help.

Whatever happened to the 2 stars they got all hyped about?
                  Peter Warrick
                  Akili Smith

With Spikes leaving they need another LB.
                  Batch??? Do you mean if they sign Charlie Batch from Pittsburgh? Or are you refering to Kitna. I'm confused

Comment

• German
                    It doesn't make me any less of a man.
                    • Jul 2002

Hey Silent,

happy new year to you.
                    Glad you made it back safe.

Comment

• BADTHINGSMAN
                      • Oct 2002

lol yup i ment kitna, lol Dunno why i just always seem to get them mixed up. Thanks for corecting me.

Comment

• wharfrat
                        Is it February yet?
                        • Nov 2002

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
                        Be still my heart.

Buddy Ryan? As a Fins fan... I say, by all means...please do!!

Comment

• RedEyE
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by wharfrat

Buddy Ryan? As a Fins fan... I say, by all means...please do!!
                          lol ~ Don't get your hopes up

Comment

• Ebenezer
                            Give me a minute...
                            • Jul 2002

I'd take Coughlin right now.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• TigerJ
                              • Jul 2002

Cincinnati is currently looking a three candidates for their head coach position. Gilbride is not one of them and I don't expect him to join the list. It is not a given that they will draft a QB. There is some sentiment that they should trade the pick. That would be consistent with cheapskate Mike Brown's thinking in the past. I really think TD is being honest in he recent statements that sweeping changes are not planned. I think Jerry Gray stays, but if as I think might happen TD brings in Dick LeBeau, that will constitute a nice infusion of experience. He could probably even coach the Dline though that was not his position as a player. He's been around the league long enough to handle any part of the defence. I think he might be named as assistant defensive coordinator and D-line coach. He's old enough that he probably doesn't have aspirations of being a head coach again. He probably would be happy to just help Jerry Gray improve as a coordinator and coach a position.

As far as O'Neil Gilbert is concerned I don't know enough about him to have any thoughts about what he can or can't do. Someone has to help DB calm down and accept throwing the ball short when that is what is open.
                              I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

Working...
                              X