PDA

View Full Version : Zone Original: Alex Soto

northernbillfan
08-29-2005, 12:09 PM
As tough as I knew the Chicago Bears would be against the Buffalo Bills this week, they were certainly much tougher than I expected. However, that is good at this point as we need to see where the teams weaknesses are and what the Bills can improve. No doubt the pessimistic and bandwagon fans are ready to jump off ship and exclaim that the Bills are no good and that this season is another lost season. Others may return to exclaim that Drew Bledsoe should be back or that Kelly Holcomb should be in.

Full article (http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2005/08/29/observations_on_preseason_game_3_buffalo_bills_vs_chicago_bears.php)

northernbillfan
08-29-2005, 02:47 PM
good read mystic.

John Doe
08-29-2005, 04:22 PM
good read mystic.

Interesting analysis and some good points made, particularly the one about Ritzman and Gause.

I will offer an alternate reason for using Baker to kick-off. Mularkey is getting some press lately as being a guy who tries to be very fair to the players who are trying out for the team: everybody gets a chance, or so I have been hearing in some of the interviews with the players. Its a good rep to have if you are trying to lure low-priced free agents and undafted college players to try out on the preseason roster. It is more beneficial in the long run to emphisize this attitude in the preseason than to try all out to win the preseason games.

mysticsoto
08-29-2005, 04:38 PM
Interesting analysis and some good points made, particularly the one about Ritzman and Gause.

I will offer an alternate reason for using Baker to kick-off. Mularkey is getting some press lately as being a guy who tries to be very fair to the players who are trying out for the team: everybody gets a chance, or so I have been hearing in some of the interviews with the players. Its a good rep to have if you are trying to lure low-priced free agents and undafted college players to try out on the preseason roster. It is more beneficial in the long run to emphisize this attitude in the preseason than to try all out to win the preseason games.
I thought about this also, but quite frankly, Baker had some tries already and just wasn't panning out. And I can't believe that Mularkey didn't know if he was going to cut him at this point. Giving that he cut him 2 days later, it seems like a given that in the back of his mind, he already knew.

I'm not criticizing the move/cut or even the choice of letting him kick. I just wonder if there was an alterior motive...

mysticsoto
08-29-2005, 04:39 PM
good read mystic.
Thanks. Looking forward to the last game and the start of the season...

TigerJ
08-29-2005, 09:46 PM
My biggest disappointment in the Chicago game was the fact that Kyle Orton looked more poised and polished than JP Losman. I know it's kind of an apples to oranges comparison because Losman was facing a top notch, first string defense, while Orton faced second stringers, but it showed that Losman has more work to do. I've yet to see Losman put any arch in a pass in a preseason game. Sometimes, I know you have to gun it, and I'm glad he haas the arm to do it, but sometimes you're better off tossing it over the defense rather than trying to thread the needle.

mysticsoto
08-30-2005, 08:22 AM
My biggest disappointment in the Chicago game was the fact that Kyle Orton looked more poised and polished than JP Losman. I know it's kind of an apples to oranges comparison because Losman was facing a top notch, first string defense, while Orton faced second stringers, but it showed that Losman has more work to do. I've yet to see Losman put any arch in a pass in a preseason game. Sometimes, I know you have to gun it, and I'm glad he haas the arm to do it, but sometimes you're better off tossing it over the defense rather than trying to thread the needle.
One thing I noticed is that Losman really hasn't thrown many bombs (deep passes) in the preseason. Again, I seriously think the Bills have dumbed down alot of their offense at this point. B'cse Moulds still gets double teamed alot, bombs have to be thrown to Evans - that's how we stretched defenses last year and I'm sure Mularkey is going to want to do that again this year. Alot of people on this forum are too reactionary. They have knee-jerk reactions to any little thing (I'm not referring to you TigerJ specifically, just speaking in general). I'm looking forward to this season and watching a top defense pound another offense away. I feel JP will do enough to get us scores as he did - even in the Chicago game where he did enough to get us into field goal range. It was 12-3 when all the starters sat, and despite our O being dumbed down, JP still managed to create a few good drives...

casdhf
08-30-2005, 08:34 AM
I like the shout out to Bennie Anderson and Ruben Brown.

mysticsoto
08-30-2005, 09:00 AM
I like the shout out to Bennie Anderson and Ruben Brown.
:D:

HHURRICANE
08-30-2005, 09:10 AM
That was a good analysis by Soto. Right on. The home opener will tell us quickly if Losman is okay or not. My personal feeling is that he will pan out and we will be happy for the change from Bledsoe. Holcomb could easily start for this team but would we be better off? It would largely depend how powerful our power running game is. If I were the coach I would probably start Holcomb and give Losman more time to mature on the sidelines. Bring Losman in if things were not panning out for a playoff run. To me, making the playoffs are more important than developing a near rookie QB. IMO.