How much time should a QB be given to develop into a viable starter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

How much time should a QB be given to develop into a viable starter?

DISCLAIMER: This is NOT a bash JP thread- it's only a hypothetical question. I'm not giving up on JP yet- just trying to get opinions.

We've had some crappy QB's over the years, and I definitely think we held on to RJ and Todd Collins too long. I see other teams doing the same thing- the Redskins with Ramsey, the Ravens with Boller- and it makes me happy that the Bills aren't in that situation at the moment. But at the same time I want to figure out how to avoid it in the future.

So how much time should JP (or any other young QB) be given to become a viable starter? A year? Two years? 8 games? I think JP will be good enough that it won't matter. But if he puts up Boller-like numbers in '05 and '06, I hope to hell we're not still starting him in 2007.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • Fairway
    • Jul 2002

Re: How much time should a QB be given to develop into a viable starter?

We should have a pretty good idea if JP is gonna be any good by the end of this year. If he does not show any progress as the season goes on I'll start to worry. I'm not worried about that happening though

Comment

• Fairway
      • Jul 2002

I'd say Boller is a bust at this point

Comment

• G. Host
        Banned
        • Jul 2002

"It varies"

It depends on how much QB is being paid, how good the talent is on offense and what other talent is available. There is no fixed number.

Comment

• The Natrix
          • Jul 2002

I say the first 14 regular season games if he shows absolutely nothing and the Bills are out of the playoff race. Dump him after 3 years if he is still a questionable starter.

Byrd.

Comment

• The_Philster
            • Jul 2002

Tough question..definitely should show some significant progress by mid-season, IMO. I still say the McNair model is the best way of developing a QB
            Originally posted by OpIv37
            I definitely think we held on to RJ and Todd Collins too long.
            Collins only started for one season...
            The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Night Train
              Retired - On Several Levels
              • Jul 2005

3 pre-season games.Then throw him under the bus. Oh wait. You're asking what WE think.
              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• The last buffalo fan
                I told the pet store guy "How else am I supposed to get the mouse out of my ass?"
                • Sep 2004

Because he is different "kind" of quaterback, and is a "run-gun-fun" type, I think he will get more time than those two guys you have mentioned, no less than two seasons and only if TD is around. Because as you can see it with Wire, he "supports" alot his people. Plus the guy has the natural talent, and as most of the people here at zone said, litte problem is, it's a raw talent. I'm sure, he won't need that long to prove the league or people wrong.
                The Mexican & too!!

- Adriano & Emiliano, the next Villa & Zapata. Viva Mexico, cabrones!!! -

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by The last buffalo fan
                  Because he is different "kind" of quaterback, and is a "run-gun-fun" type, I think he will get more time than those two guys you have mentioned, no less than two seasons and only if TD is around. Because as you can see it with Wire, he "supports" alot his people. Plus the guy has the natural talent, and as most of the people here at zone said, litte problem is, it's a raw talent. I'm sure, he won't need that long to prove the league or people wrong.

blah blah blah- you're just defending him cuz he's part Mexican.

j/k amigo- good post.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Night Train
                    Retired - On Several Levels
                    • Jul 2005

Thanks for the Neg Rep OpIv37. Sorry I hurt your feelings.

The Bills will yank Losman quickly and put in Holcomb, if he's costing us games like Bledsoe did. St. Drew was above being replaced and we won games in SPITE of him for the last 2 years.

Still, I survived your multiple bellyaching threads over the weekend. You have to realize how whiney you come across.
                    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• The last buffalo fan
                      I told the pet store guy "How else am I supposed to get the mouse out of my ass?"
                      • Sep 2004

[QUOTE=OpIv37]blah blah blah- you're just defending him cuz he's part Mexican.

Is he?? Damn, now I'm sure he is good and hansome!!!
                      The Mexican & too!!

- Adriano & Emiliano, the next Villa & Zapata. Viva Mexico, cabrones!!! -

Comment

• X-Era
                        What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                        • Feb 2005

DISCLAIMER: This is NOT a bash JP thread- it's only a hypothetical question. I'm not giving up on JP yet- just trying to get opinions.

We've had some crappy QB's over the years, and I definitely think we held on to RJ and Todd Collins too long. I see other teams doing the same thing- the Redskins with Ramsey, the Ravens with Boller- and it makes me happy that the Bills aren't in that situation at the moment. But at the same time I want to figure out how to avoid it in the future.

So how much time should JP (or any other young QB) be given to become a viable starter? A year? Two years? 8 games? I think JP will be good enough that it won't matter. But if he puts up Boller-like numbers in '05 and '06, I hope to hell we're not still starting him in 2007.
                        This is my last response to ridiculous raving. You sound pretty unitelligent at this point.

In response to your question:

Peyton Manning went 3 and 13 his first year starting all his games and the started the next year as well.

I dont even need to tell you how good Manning is.

So, the answer is as at least as long as a full season plus the start or mid way through the next, IMO.

Comment

• X-Era
                          What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Night Train
                          Thanks for the Neg Rep OpIv37. Sorry I hurt your feelings.

The Bills will yank Losman quickly and put in Holcomb, if he's costing us games like Bledsoe did. St. Drew was above being replaced and we won games in SPITE of him for the last 2 years.

Still, I survived your multiple bellyaching threads over the weekend. You have to realize how whiney you come across.
                          WRONG, standby for your disappointment when he remains that starter after the inevitable bad games. Holcomd wont see the field this year or next unless theres injury and regardless of the record.

Comment

• PatsowntheNFL
                            Boston Teabagger
                            • Aug 2005

lessman will be benched by the 6th game in favor of holcomb. Your right the bills have had some crap QBS for years now. Even Jim Kelly was a big game choker...translation: he's no tom brady.

Comment

• buffalofan19
                              God's gift to the Zone
                              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by jp-era
                              This is my last response to ridiculous raving. You sound pretty unitelligent at this point.

In response to your question:

Peyton Manning went 3 and 13 his first year starting all his games and the started the next year as well.

I dont even need to tell you how good Manning is.

So, the answer is as at least as long as a full season plus the start or mid way through the next, IMO.
                              There is a huge difference. In Peyton Manning's rookie year, the Colts really did not expect to make the playoffs. They really did not have that good a team. The Bills do. Donahoe explicitly said that they were contenders and fully expected to make the playoffs this year, despite starting a guy who has thrown 5 career passes. So, if he does not get the job done, then I would pull him, just because of the expectations for this team.
                              Penguins at Sabres Highlight Video 10/10/05
                              Sabres at Lightning Highlight Video 10/13/05
                              Sabres at Bruins Highlight Video 10/20/05
                              Rangers at Sabres Highlight Video 10/22/05
                              Sabres at Islanders Highlight Video 10/29/05
                              Maple Leafs at Sabres Highlight Video 11/11/05
                              Devils at Sabres Highlight Video 11/15/05
                              Sabres at Bruins Highlight Video 11/19/05
                              Sabres at Islanders Highlight Video 11/23/05
                              Canadiens at Sabres Highlight Video 11/25/05

Comment

Working...