PDA

View Full Version : according to multiple sources we want Simon!

X-Era
08-30-2005, 10:44 AM
if we are 3+ under, he can fit this year if backloaded and the signing bonus is ammortized.

Pride
08-30-2005, 10:45 AM
what sources?

DMBcrew36
08-30-2005, 10:46 AM
link(s) please

osos
08-30-2005, 10:51 AM
!!!!!!!!! LINK !!!!!!!!!

NJFINSFAN1
08-30-2005, 10:52 AM
ESPN radio, the Herd show just reported that Simon and the Fins were working on seeing if he would come to the Fins. Simon has stated he would like to play with the Fins (http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/12511344.htm)

Will it happen, I doubt it, but just figured I would pass it along. I think he would hurt the cap for us, but that's a clumpy question.

I would rather save the money for QB, secondary and O-line help next year. But if he signs, I would not argue!

osos
08-30-2005, 10:56 AM
is way to expensive, but if we sign him we will have the best defense ever in Buffalo history

clumping platelets
08-30-2005, 11:03 AM
Miami can more easily afford him than we can.

Bills should give the $$ to Clements

NJFINSFAN1
08-30-2005, 11:05 AM
Miami can more easily afford him than we can.

Bills should give the $$ to Clements
Thanks Clump, still would rather save it for next year.

Novacane
08-30-2005, 11:06 AM
from the herald article

Barnes confirmed the Dolphins called but said several other teams, including Baltimore, Seattle, Buffalo and Indianapolis also called Monday to express interest.

clumping platelets
08-30-2005, 11:07 AM
Now if he is willing to come here for a cap friendly deal, I'll be willing to drive him from the airport to the stadium :D

NJFINSFAN1
08-30-2005, 11:13 AM
Now if he is willing to come here for a cap friendly deal, I'll be willing to drive him from the airport to the stadium :D
What kind of car do you have?:redcar: (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#)

I could always swipe him and drive him to Miami! I'll just tell him the roads up in that Buffalo area are long and out of the way!:D

clumping platelets
08-30-2005, 11:30 AM
:mad:

Mr. Cynical
08-30-2005, 11:42 AM
I'd take Simon over Nate if that were the choice. A great pass rusher is more valuable than a CB in this day and age IMO. Aaron and Corey would create utter havoc for offensive lines. I bet that if you ask OCs around the league who they would rather gameplan against....top CBs or top DLs...I think they would say the latter.

Novacane
08-30-2005, 11:46 AM
I'd take Simon over Nate if that were the choice. A great pass rusher is more valuable than a CB in this day and age IMO. Aaron and Corey would create utter havoc for offensive lines. I bet that if you ask OCs around the league who they would rather gameplan against....top CBs or top DLs...I think they would say the latter.

Thats a good point. If the QB does not have time to throw you don't really need top CBs.

camelcowboy
08-30-2005, 11:55 AM
Thats a good point. If the QB does not have time to throw you don't really need top CBs.
I agree, but Nate can completely eliminate a receiver from a play. Chad Johnson last year 2 catches 10 yards. Lock up nate.

NJFINSFAN1
08-30-2005, 11:57 AM
But if you have a top flight CB, your pass rushers have more time to get to the QB, it works both ways.

madness
08-30-2005, 12:01 PM
It would be nice to pressure a QB without having to blitz all the time. :idunno:

osos
08-30-2005, 12:10 PM
But if you have a top flight CB, your pass rushers have more time to get to the QB, it works both ways.
I agree, but we have to think that we have more young players as CB than quality pass rushers in the team

NJFINSFAN1
08-30-2005, 12:14 PM
I agree, but we have to think that we have more young players as CB than quality pass rushers in the team
I think it just may be easier to find a big guy to clog the middle, then it is to find a very good CB.

Look at us, we went out and signed Carter, Holliday and two young but have potential rookie DT's, we are still looking for someone to replace Surtain, Daniels looks good, but who knows?

Crisis
08-30-2005, 12:15 PM
Say NO to Corey Simon!!

Indy Bills Fan
08-30-2005, 12:22 PM
If it's between signing corey or Nate, I'd take Nate. CB's of his caliber are not easy to find. He is as good against the run as he is the pass. Plus, he already is a Bill. We need to stop letting all of our talent develop and leave.

Typ0
08-30-2005, 12:27 PM
We need pass rush that's all there is too it...it definately would be better if it was a DE but we need to get to the QB more consistently. Simon beefs up this very meaty defense. I'd love to see him here.

clumping platelets
08-30-2005, 12:30 PM
BTW: We can afford both :ontome:

osos
08-30-2005, 12:31 PM
If it's between signing corey or Nate, I'd take Nate. CB's of his caliber are not easy to find. He is as good against the run as he is the pass. Plus, he already is a Bill. We need to stop letting all of our talent develop and leave.
he has a point, lets stick with our playmakers one´s in while

Typ0
08-30-2005, 12:36 PM

exactly...and we can let moulds go after next season as well and keep being able for afford both of these players in their prime. I kind of agree with everyone we don't want to pick between Nate and Corey...but what if the choice is another season or two with Moulds and then he's gone...how do people feel then? I love Moulds but he's getting older and we have a good receiver corp and they aren't that hard to come by in the draft that can make an impact...plus we could probably get a pick for Moulds by moving him after the season...

X-Era
08-30-2005, 12:40 PM
what sources?
The link is here:

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/NFL_SC-RUMOR

Its really just a bunch of rumors. But, the part that is interesting to me is the list of papers that say Buffalo is interested. Star Ledger, Philly Inquirer, Miami Herald, Trenton Times.

And in the article, Rosevelt Barnes, Simons agent says Buffalo is one of the interested teams.

clumping platelets
08-30-2005, 12:41 PM
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I would then be forced to buy a new jersey :(

clumping platelets
08-30-2005, 12:42 PM
Troy Vincent being here doesn't hurt with recruitment

Crisis
08-30-2005, 12:43 PM
All we're getting is an older more expensive Ron Edwards with him.

osos
08-30-2005, 12:49 PM
exactly...and we can let moulds go after next season as well and keep being able for afford both of these players in their prime. I kind of agree with everyone we don't want to pick between Nate and Corey...but what if the choice is another season or two with Moulds and then he's gone...how do people feel then? I love Moulds but he's getting older and we have a good receiver corp and they aren't that hard to come by in the draft that can make an impact...plus we could probably get a pick for Moulds by moving him after the season...

also we can draft in the 1 round the best WR available or get it via free agency when Moulds is gone. Lets face it, he is getting old and not that productive as time is passing.... sign Simon

X-Era
08-30-2005, 12:49 PM
hmmm, dont agree with that assessment. Td wont pay dumb money to him. If TD signs him, and thats a HUGE if, it will be because we think hes worth it.

Crisis
08-30-2005, 12:51 PM
hmmm, dont agree with that assessment. Td wont pay dumb money to him. If TD signs him, and thats a HUGE if, it will be because we think hes worth it.
A guy who turned down a franchise tender that makes him one of the highest paid at his position, is suspect against the run, and can rush the passer.

Sounds like Ron Edwards minus the money part.

M359
08-30-2005, 12:54 PM
He wants to go to miami.

X-Era
08-30-2005, 12:56 PM
A guy who turned down a franchise tender that makes him one of the highest paid at his position, is suspect against the run, and can rush the passer.

Sure, Ron Edwards minus the pro-bowl level talent.

X-Era
08-30-2005, 12:58 PM
He wants to go to miami.
Sure, a sh_tty Miami team with no immediate signs of getting better or a team with a top 3 defense, up and coming O, and great ST.

hmmmm, makes sense to me. Dont fool yourself, if TD makes a comparable offer, Simon will go where he can win the quickest BEFORE he goes back home.

If TD wants him, I believe he can get him.

Crisis
08-30-2005, 01:00 PM
Sure, Ron Edwards minus the pro-bowl level talent. Do we know what Edwards can do in the starting line-up? He had 1.5 less sacks last year in a backup role.

Screw Simon!

Last time I checked our defense wasn't our problem.

M359
08-30-2005, 01:01 PM
Sure, a sh_tty Miami team with no immediate signs of getting better or a team with a top 3 defense, up and coming O, and great ST.

hmmmm, makes sense to me. Dont fool yourself, if TD makes a comparable offer, Simon will go where he can win the quickest BEFORE he goes back home.

If TD wants him, I believe he can get him.Hes from Florida, I think he wants to go home. http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187398

capitolneal
08-30-2005, 01:03 PM
I agree 100 %

OpIv37
08-30-2005, 01:11 PM
Barnes confirmed the Dolphins called but said several other teams, including Baltimore, Seattle, Buffalo and Indianapolis also called Monday to express interest.
Damn- sounds like a bidding war situation. I'd definitely take him but I don't want to overpay

We need pass rush that's all there is too it...it definately would be better if it was a DE but we need to get to the QB more consistently. Simon beefs up this very meaty defense. I'd love to see him here.

Agreed.

I hope so....

I agree 100 %

You guys are nuts. Ron Edwards has been a non-factor against the run and has only a few QB pressures in pre-season- no sacks. He looks completely average. Simon may not be worth the money we'd have to pay to get him, but he's definitely better than Edwards (who IMO is the only weak link in our D, with the possible exception of McGee's pass coverage).

Typ0
08-30-2005, 01:13 PM

I'm pretty confident he wasn't interested in going year to year and fighting for his contract every offseason. That's why he turned down the $$$ because he wants something a little more pleasing to him and his family over the course of the rest of his career. At least that's what I expect.

Typ0
08-30-2005, 01:16 PM
Edwards? Did you guys watch our games last season? The one place that really killed us on D was the pass rush because the QB could get set and stand there till hell froze over to make a play. Our defense is very strong...but if we take time away from the opposing QB our defense becomes downright NASTY and instead of just being opportunistic they are opportunistic and nearly impossible to move the ball against.

Bert102176
08-30-2005, 01:26 PM
I say we make it a bidding war and make Miami over pay for him, I like what Edwards has done so far and maybe someone comes along later that we need even more like say an OL player

Sportsuser101
08-30-2005, 01:33 PM
Only problem is Simon is far from a great pass rusher.

NJFINSFAN1
08-30-2005, 01:43 PM
Only problem is Simon is far from a great pass rusher.
Well in 5 years he has 32 sacks, which is over 5 per year. A DT should be a run stopper and clog up the O-line to free your linebackers, sacks are a bonus.

mysticsoto
08-30-2005, 01:49 PM
Do we know what Edwards can do in the starting line-up? He had 1.5 less sacks last year in a backup role.

Screw Simon!

Last time I checked our defense wasn't our problem.
I think he had 4 sacks last year in a backup role...

MTBillsFan
08-30-2005, 01:49 PM
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE SIGN Simon! Then Lock up Nate! It would be worth it in the short run!

"I gotta feeling, Buffalo going to the super bowl"

Mr. Cynical
08-30-2005, 01:54 PM
Edwards? Did you guys watch our games last season? The one place that really killed us on D was the pass rush because the QB could get set and stand there till hell froze over to make a play. Our defense is very strong...but if we take time away from the opposing QB our defense becomes downright NASTY and instead of just being opportunistic they are opportunistic and nearly impossible to move the ball against.
Bingo.

I won't lose sleep if we don't get Simon, but I would support it 100%.

Now, our oline on the other hand has me waking up in cold sweats on many nights. :(

camelcowboy
08-30-2005, 01:55 PM
I think he had 4 sacks last year in a backup role...
Yeah, he had 3 of those four sacks in one game last year.

venis2k1
08-30-2005, 02:00 PM
simon is OVERRATED. keep Nasty Nate.

Canadian'eh!
08-30-2005, 03:54 PM
I'm pretty sure this is true... i heard we made an offer on England cat 212... :rolleyes:

eee1776
08-30-2005, 04:12 PM
Kffl has the link about corey simon

DynaPaul
08-30-2005, 04:18 PM

I totally agree. It's more important to have a dominant D-line than it is to have a top notch secondary. It all goes back to the philosophy that football games are won in the trenches and great teams have super players who man those trenches. If we build a dominant D-line that can consistently pressure quarterbacks then you'll be just fine with average CB's, FS's, and SS's.

Mr. Cynical
08-30-2005, 04:26 PM
I totally agree. It's more important to have a dominant D-line than it is to have a top notch secondary. It all goes back to the philosophy that football games are won in the trenches and great teams have super players who man those trenches. If we build a dominant D-line that can consistently pressure quarterbacks then you'll be just fine with average CB's, FS's, and SS's.
Yep. :up:

(especially with the new bump rules favoring WRs...CBs are getting more and more neutered as time goes on but DLs haven't been touched)

Meathead
08-30-2005, 04:36 PM
He's averaged 33 tackles and 6.2 sacks a season over his five year career. That's fantastic for a DT.

Crisis
08-30-2005, 04:54 PM
You're all crazy. Simon is far from a great DT.

Typ0- He didn't want to negotiate a new deal ever year? He had a 1 year deal worth a boat load of money, after that year he could've signed a long-term deal in FA. I don't buy that one bit.

The last time I got a feeling like this of a player the Bills could get was Joey Harrington.

Op- Stop bringing up preseason stats/points. Complete garbage. Ron Edwards had 1.5 less sacks (4 to 5.5) than Simon last year with 11 less tackles. That in a BACKUP role. Screw Simon.

justasportsfan
08-30-2005, 05:05 PM
From what I have seen this preseason, nothing leads me to believe our rushing D is in need of a DT.
http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/DEF-RUSHING/2005/pre?sort_col_1=7

compare it to a year before

http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/DEF-RUSHING/2004/pre?sort_col_1=7

JefftheBillsfan
08-30-2005, 06:54 PM
im going to agree with crisis here..
corey simon is an upgrade over edwards for sure..but you guys are making him out to be the warren sapp of 3 or 4 years ago. i would rather spend money on a bigger DT that can occupy the o-lineman off of fletch. i think we will be just fine with edwards in there though, i dont expect any change to be made..althought this does remind me of lawyer milloy a few years ago..

Nic82
08-30-2005, 07:36 PM
Edwards is a free-agent after this year and Adams is 32. Simon would be a great addition to maintain the D while the Offense matures.

guy
08-30-2005, 07:37 PM
how can you not want to make your D even better?? simon would be a big improvement over anyone the bills have right now at dt. As for Nate, remember who was playing cb more than once for the pats last year, and had a pick or 2.

RedEyE
08-30-2005, 07:40 PM
That money needs to be used elsewhere. Simon isn't worth it and we don't need him.

Nic82
08-30-2005, 07:51 PM
Where should we spend the money?

colin
08-30-2005, 08:07 PM
I'm holding out hope that the offensive coaching staff is waiting to reveal Losman's ability to throw down field for Week 1. I'm a little worried that they haven't even tryed to throw the ball deep yet during the pre-season. They did all the time with Bledsuck. A Lee Evans is a terrible thing to waste.

issue 1

Nate vs Simon.

this isn't a corner vs a DT, it is the best playmaking corner on the planet vs a talented but slightly under performing DT. Nate by 10 country miles.
as an aside, anyone watch detroit or mini or dallas or new orleans last year?

teams with kick ass d lines and crap secondary get toasted for big gains, you need a thug like clements to shut his man down and HOW ABOUT THE TURNOVERS AND SCORES? DTs help you D bigtime, but a guy who can take it all the way and get regular turnovers changes games, we have that in nate and we need to keep it.

the second issue is what will Simon mean to us?

he might just be the player to put us over the top to 2000 ravens type D. that and some developement from JP and our O weapons puts us in the running for a super bowl RIGHT NOW.

i'll take that

AndreReed83
08-30-2005, 08:19 PM
I'd rather have a guy like Nate, a player who shuts down the entire side of the field he is on.

wchutalkinboutwillis
08-30-2005, 08:30 PM
I think a bunch of Zoner's are getting way too excited about a topic with no substance. This D was ranked #2 in the league last year and probably won't slip more than a spot or two this year. They may actually move up a position (#1) based on what I've seen in pre-season.
Granted, Simon is a very good player and he would be an asset to the team. But I just don't see him as a sensible acquisition at this time. Edwards will prove, if he hasn't already, that he is a capable replacement to Fat Pat. No question about Adams. Anderson and Bannan are hard workers that will learn, develop, and get better. There's promising depth.
On top of all this, I just saw Mark Clayton discussing Simon and the Bills weren't even mentioned as possible suitors. Look for Baltimore or the Giants to land him.

Typ0
08-30-2005, 08:54 PM
I don't understand really why this has become a Nate VS Simon issue at all.

Mr. Cynical
08-30-2005, 10:37 PM
Where should we spend the money?
Great question. I'd say the oline without a doubt, but since there aren't any olinemen worth a crap that are available, I'd spend it on our next "need" position: DL.

(actually one could say our kicker is a real need as well, but I digress)

Night Train
08-31-2005, 04:32 AM
Thread killer - Wed. mornings Buffalo News has TD stating the Bills have NO interest in Simon. Just a false rumor.

Back to planet earth.

X-Era
08-31-2005, 06:19 AM
Thread killer - Wed. mornings Buffalo News has TD stating the Bills have NO interest in Simon. Just a false rumor.

Back to planet earth.
Ummm, then why would Simons agent lie about the Bills making the call?

Its not over until Simon is signed.

Typ0
08-31-2005, 06:37 AM
we've seen the smoke screen before...

don137
08-31-2005, 06:55 AM

Back to planet earth.

I m not saying the Bills are very interested in Simon but TD has been none to not show his cards until after the hand has been played

Jan Reimers
08-31-2005, 07:02 AM

Back to planet earth.
That probably means Simon is heading to Buffalo to sign his contract.

snow1989
08-31-2005, 07:09 AM
If they could get Simon for 'realistic' money....fine, a positive addition, but if they go out and drop some huge contract in his lap...they're idiots. You don't take the chemistry of the #2 defense and mess it up with some late signing for huge dollars on a guy who is above average, but IMHO, not great.

As for Nate, we need to do right, offer him a legitimate size contract for a player of his caliber and keep him in Buffalo if possible...but not mortgage our future either..

wchutalkinboutwillis
08-31-2005, 07:48 AM
This Simon thing is a total joke. :horror: Should TD go after Peerless Price, too?

Novacane
08-31-2005, 08:46 AM
Here is the article in todays news

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050831/1073183.asp

Is'nt this a contradiction? First he says "Despite all the rumors, we have never been a player in the whole Corey Simon issue,"

Then he says "Based on the figures that we had heard from his agent it just didn't sound realistic for us to be involved with it,"

So they've never been a player but he has talked to Simons agent? Sounds like he just does'nt wanna pay Simons price but would consider him for less.

X-Era
08-31-2005, 09:10 AM
Here is the article in todays news

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050831/1073183.asp

Is'nt this a contradiction? First he says "Despite all the rumors, we have never been a player in the whole Corey Simon issue,"

Then he says "Based on the figures that we had heard from his agent it just didn't sound realistic for us to be involved with it,"

So they've never been a player but he has talked to Simons agent? Sounds like he just does'nt wanna pay Simons price but would consider him for less.
My take on those comments is this, whether he simply is letting Corey knows he likes him but not at that price or if he is saying the really arent interested period, it seems nothing will happen with us and Corey soon and maybe not at all. Seens dead for now and maybe for good.

Mr. Cynical
08-31-2005, 09:19 AM
That probably means Simon is heading to Buffalo to sign his contract.
:rofl:

DynaPaul
08-31-2005, 04:23 PM
Adding Corey Simon to this defense would at least equal our defense with the Baltimore Ravens Super Bowl Defense. We could go all the way on defense alone and not have to force our offense to keep up. (Especially good with our developing QB situation. If they did it with Dilfer we could do it with JP.)

Mike13
08-31-2005, 05:26 PM
ESPN radio, the Herd show just reported that Simon and the Fins were working on seeing if he would come to the Fins. Simon has stated he would like to play with the Fins (http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/12511344.htm)

Will it happen, I doubt it, but just figured I would pass it along. I think he would hurt the cap for us, but that's a clumpy question.

I would rather save the money for QB, secondary and O-line help next year. But if he signs, I would not argue!
Agreed, I wouldnt be surprised if Simon signs with the Bills though.

pleasesavedrew
08-31-2005, 08:52 PM
Getting Corey Simon spells the end of Nate Clements, Simon is not more important than Clements.

G. Host
08-31-2005, 11:22 PM
if we are 3+ under, he can fit this year if backloaded and the signing bonus is ammortized.

Multiple sources are wrong, Donahoe has said he has no interest and it appears Simon is signing in Indy.

I agree with Donahoe. We have too many FA's and need to develop talent not pay overpriced outside talent.