PDA

View Full Version : Most overrated NFL player of all time?

Bill Brasky
08-31-2005, 04:05 PM
I don't know who I'd say is the most overrated, but I would have to put Joe Namath near the top of that list.

The guy didn't even surpass 30,000 career yards, threw more INT's than TD's, and had maybe 2 "good" seasons his entire career.

If not the most overrated, def. the most overrated hall of famer to ever play football.

Who do you think is the most overrated player in NFL history?

Most overrated in Bills history?

DynaPaul
08-31-2005, 04:09 PM
Randall Cunningham

DynaPaul
08-31-2005, 04:10 PM
And Hershell Walker.

Can't forget about him...

DBam
08-31-2005, 04:28 PM
"The Boz"

Tony Manderich

Jan Reimers
08-31-2005, 05:05 PM
Paul Hornung.

Mike13
08-31-2005, 05:08 PM
Until he becomes a better passer Vick is overrated.

FlyingDutchman
08-31-2005, 05:17 PM
Keyshawn Johnson...hes a dip s***

Night Train
08-31-2005, 05:39 PM
I don't know who I'd say is the most overrated, but I would have to put Joe Namath near the top of that list.

The guy didn't even surpass 30,000 career yards, threw more INT's than TD's, and had maybe 2 "good" seasons his entire career.

If not the most overrated, def. the most overrated hall of famer to ever play football.

Most overrated in Bills history?
Just curious, how old are you ? Did you ever see Namath play in person ? I probably saw him live about 6 times, starting in the 60's.

He was fantastic. I never saw anyone who could just flick the ball 60 yards and hit either Don Maynard or George Sellers in stride. Dan Marino copied his arm motion to the letter.

Bob Griese is in the HOF. That's the worst selection in the history of Canton.

Most overrated Bill. Cornelius Bennett. Talley was twice the player.

Captain gameboy
08-31-2005, 05:58 PM
Just curious, how old are you ? Did you ever see Namath play in person ? I probably saw him live about 6 times, starting in the 60's.

He was fantastic. I never saw anyone who could just flick the ball 60 yards and hit either Don Maynard or George Sellers in stride. Dan Marino copied his arm motion to the letter.

Fully agree.

Not just on Namath, but on Bennett.

Namath was one of the few divisional rivals that earned the respect of Bills fans.

I'd say Junior Seau.

Ebenezer
08-31-2005, 06:01 PM
Emmitt Smith - Average running back behind the best OL ever.
Michael Vick - Please. RBs should not be under center.
Dan Marino - Great arm. Terrible leader, selfish player, never was a team so about one person.

Most overrated Bill: Even though he was an 8 time probowler and had a chance at the HOF at one time: Ruben Brown.

chernobylwraiths
08-31-2005, 06:05 PM
I don't know about one player, but I know about one play that is the most overrated in NFL history, "the catch". I mean Dwight Clark basically jumped about a foot and a half and caught the ball and people think it was some marvel of human engineering.

Mudflap1
08-31-2005, 06:40 PM
Some overrated players:

Roman Gabriel
Wahoo McDaniel
Sam Huff (good, but not great)
Warren Moon (good, but not great)
Hollywood Henderson
Duane Thomas
Fred Williamson
Andre Rison
Chuck Muncie
Conrad Dobler

Most overrated Bill:

Ruben Brown
John Fina
Jay Reimersma

Most underrated Bill:

Andre Reed

Jon

pleasesavedrew
08-31-2005, 08:44 PM

Most overrated in Bills history?Broadway Joe is an NFL legend and was a great player, especially considering how bad his knees were. There would be no AFL, which means no Buffalo Bills, if Joe wouldn't have signed with the Jets. All fans of original AFL teams should be grateful of Joe. By the way, most quarterbacks of Joe's time threw more INTs than TDs. Such as Jack Kemp and many others.

casdhf
08-31-2005, 08:46 PM
Terry Bradshaw

pleasesavedrew
08-31-2005, 08:47 PM
Ruben Brown is definetly overated. i don't feel Steve tasker got as much credit as he deserves. Same with ralph Wilson.

pleasesavedrew
08-31-2005, 08:48 PM
Terry Bradshaw
No way. Great Player

pleasesavedrew
08-31-2005, 08:49 PM
Emmitt Smith - Average running back behind the best OL ever.
Michael Vick - Please. RBs should not be under center.
Dan Marino - Great arm. Terrible leader, selfish player, never was a team so about one person.

Most overrated Bill: Even though he was an 8 time probowler and had a chance at the HOF at one time: Ruben Brown.
You can say whatever you want, the NFL's All Time leader in rush yards can't be overated. Dan marino was not a selfish player and was one the NFL's best qbs of all time. And your Vick Statement is absoulutly correct. Way overated, even with his rush yards added, he only accounted for like 3200 tards or so. He also threw just 2 more tds than ints

Bill Brasky
08-31-2005, 09:51 PM
If Namath didn't play in NY he wouldn't even be close to the HOF.

wchutalkinboutwillis
08-31-2005, 09:52 PM
You can say whatever you want, the NFL's All Time leader in rush yards can't be overated. Dan marino was not a selfish player and was one the NFL's best qbs of all time. And your Vick Statement is absoulutly correct. Way overated, even with his rush yards added, he only accounted for like 3200 tards or so. He also threw just 2 more tds than ints
As much as I hated Emmit Smith during the 90's, you have to admit, he was a great, durable back. Marino, a fierce competitor who is still, IMO, the best pure passer of all time. I sort of hated him in the 90's but not that much because the Bills had his number.Vick? You can't touch this freak of nature. He's incredible. Ruben Brown? Absolutely the most over-rated Bill of all time. I saw him in familiar position against the Bears last weekend, hands on his hips, looking over his unprotected QB in the fetal position.

MikeInRoch
08-31-2005, 09:56 PM
Doug Flutie

:couch:

jdenning
08-31-2005, 10:07 PM
Pleaseee you have got to be kidding me Vick overrated? he may not put up huge passing numbers but hes turning out to be a great QB despite all of the pressure for him to learn a new offense, when its all said and done the most important thing is winning football games and thats what mike vick does hes got a great winning % so far.......... Brian Urlacher is very overrated hes not even that good so is Warren Sapp and Kyle Turley

Bill Brasky
08-31-2005, 10:40 PM
Pleaseee you have got to be kidding me Vick overrated? he may not put up huge passing numbers but hes turning out to be a great QB despite all of the pressure for him to learn a new offense, when its all said and done the most important thing is winning football games and thats what mike vick does hes got a great winning % so far
yeah, he's won a lot.

and by a lot i mean nothing.

most overrated QB in this millenium, so far.

FlyingDutchman
08-31-2005, 10:50 PM
You can say whatever you want, the NFL's All Time leader in rush yards can't be overated. Dan marino was not a selfish player and was one the NFL's best qbs of all time. And your Vick Statement is absoulutly correct. Way overated, even with his rush yards added, he only accounted for like 3200 tards or so. He also threw just 2 more tds than intsNot that hes way overrated, I just wouldnt think of him when thinking of the top 5 backs ever....I agree that he was a little above average, but had a GREAT cast around him....I think he is overrated in the aspect that he'll be known as the #1 back in the history books, but he is not nearly the best....I really wish Barry Sanders kept playing, he would have crushed Emmits record while working with ZERO help on offense....IMO Sanders was the best back of all time...

capitolneal
08-31-2005, 10:54 PM
This sounds crazy but I think Joe Montana is the most overated player of all time... He is the poster boy for a SYSTEM QB, I think the only place he could of done what he did was in SF, and the westcoast offense, he just wasn't that gifted physically.

AndreReed83
08-31-2005, 11:05 PM
Eric Lindros. Oh wait....

LtFinFan66
09-01-2005, 02:09 AM
Vick, for now

The_Philster
09-01-2005, 03:11 AM
Broadway Joe is an NFL legend and was a great player, especially considering how bad his knees were. There would be no AFL, which means no Buffalo Bills, if Joe wouldn't have signed with the Jets. All fans of original AFL teams should be grateful of Joe. By the way, most quarterbacks of Joe's time threw more INTs than TDs. Such as Jack Kemp and many others.No AFL? That's a little extreme, don't you think? The AFL-NFL wars had everyone spending too much money for players. If it hadn't been Namath signing that deal with the Jets, he or someone else would've signed a big deal with another team and we'd get the same result.
Doug Flutie :couch::gag:

Jan Reimers
09-01-2005, 06:53 AM
This sounds crazy but I think Joe Montana is the most overated player of all time... He is the poster boy for a SYSTEM QB, I think the only place he could of done what he did was in SF, and the westcoast offense, he just wasn't that gifted physically.
I may be the only one here who agrees with you.

jdenning
09-01-2005, 09:28 AM
How come your all so concerned with numbers last time i checked the only column that matters is Wins and losses, Vick since hes been in the NFL has been working with the worst recievers in the league peerless price brian finneran dez white.... i mean come on thats terrible Crumpler is the only guy he can throw too, Vick has already taken this team to the playoffs twice and with no 1 to throw to I think its a great combination of vick,dunn,and duckett, and when he needs to throw he will he has one of the best arms in the game and throws one of the tightest spirals i have ever seen, he makes defenses look like he playing against high school teams, hes not going to put up the huge passing numbers but that doesnt matter the guy wins games and is a major threat im scared of week 3 but i think our defense is good enough to maintain him but the guy is amazing and hasnt been in the league that long so i dont think you can call him overrated

Dr. Lecter
09-01-2005, 10:01 AM
Deion Sanders deserves a mention. He was the greatest returned I ever saw, but his overall game on defense was not very good. Did he ever tackle a RB?

And according to many people, Flutie was the most overrated Bill of all-time.

Dozerdog
09-01-2005, 10:11 AM
Troy Aikman- put any of 15 QBs in the league at the time in Dallas and you would have had the same results

OpIv37
09-01-2005, 10:16 AM
Keyshawn Johnson...hes a dip s***

I'd say Junior Seau.

Good pics there

Some overrated players:

Most overrated Bill:

Ruben Brown
John Fina
Jay Reimersma

Most underrated Bill:

Andre Reed

Jon

Agreed on the overrated. I don't think Andre Reed is underrated- he gets the credit he deserves.

Billsman12
09-01-2005, 11:08 AM
Micheal Vick is the most over rated.... He is a horrible quaterback....Hes so unaccurate....Yeah he can run but defenses are gonna figure him and then hes gonna be nothing...Mark My Words

Mudflap1
09-01-2005, 11:17 AM
Troy Aikman- put any of 15 QBs in the league at the time in Dallas and you would have had the same results Disagree greatly -- Steve Walsh didn't get it done........

Jon

Wolffman
09-01-2005, 11:18 AM
Tom Brady. I'm still convinced he has had NOTHING to do with those 3 SBs.

justasportsfan
09-01-2005, 11:41 AM
Randall CunninghamYou can't choose Randall without picking Drew first.

DynaPaul
09-01-2005, 03:55 PM
Troy Aikman- put any of 15 QBs in the league at the time in Dallas and you would have had the same results

Agreed. Dallas fans will argue until they're blue in the face but he really was never a leader who could take the game on his shoulders. He benefitted from one of the best o-lines EVER and an awesome supporting cast. What did he do when Emmitt Smith held out?

Night Train
09-01-2005, 03:55 PM
Tom Brady. I'm still convinced he has had NOTHING to do with those 3 SBs.
Yeah...Drew would have won all 3. :rofl:

Look, I root against the Pats,Jets and especially the Fins as much as anyone... but Brady is a winner, period.

DaBills
09-01-2005, 10:49 PM
Overrated or overhyped? I'd say Vick has been more overhyped.

Todd Marinovich covers both categories as a QB.

Joe Nameth though? Disagree. Overrated to me means you failed when people expected you not to. Nameth led the Jets to a SB win when everyone said no way. That guy was less mobile than DB towards the end with those braces but still gutted it out for a few years.

I'll throw Jeremy Shockey and Zach Thomas's names out there too.

PromoTheRobot
09-02-2005, 10:29 AM
All-time? Joe "I wanna kiss you" Namath
Modern day? Drew frriiggiinnn' Bledsoe.

PTR

PromoTheRobot
09-02-2005, 10:34 AM
Yeah...Drew would have won all 3. :rofl:

Look, I root against the Pats,Jets and especially the Fins as much as anyone... but Brady is a winner, period.

I hate the Pats and their loudmouth fans, but you have to be blind not to give props to Brady. No matter how many people you rush at him, he always finds the open receiver and throws it to them accurately. That's a rare gift.

People say Brady is a product of his system...I say it's just the opposite. When you have a QB like Brady, who sees the field so well and has an accurate arm, it doesn't matter what system you run or what play you call. Brady will make it work.

I'd like to see Brady miss a few games. Then I think you will see what I mean, when the Pats offense looks like the UB Bulls.

PTR

tampabay25690
09-02-2005, 10:40 AM
Until he becomes a better passer Vick is overrated.

Of ALL Time!!!!!! Cant tell yet VIck hasnt even hit his prime yet......

FreddyvsJason
09-02-2005, 10:41 AM
DOUG FLUTIE

Earthquake Enyart
09-02-2005, 11:43 AM

First guy I thought of was Bob Griese. Throw in the entire 72 Dolphins.

Most you other guys need to look up what overated means.

THATHURMANATOR
09-02-2005, 11:48 AM
Lynn Swann is easily the most overated in my opinion. A couple circus catches in the Super bowl and he is in the HOF?