PDA

View Full Version : Rumors of a Tedy Bruschi return in week 8?

Ickybaluky
08-31-2005, 10:26 PM
... for the Colts game. He would be coming off the PUP. Apparently, Bob Kraft let it slip in an interview on NECN. When asked about missing Bruschi, Kraft said "he will be out the first 7 games.".

Bill Brasky
08-31-2005, 10:39 PM
as much as I hate the Pats and their players it really sucks what happened to him.

though I hate when he plays us, I'd love to see him back on the field and make a full recovery.

FlyingDutchman
08-31-2005, 10:43 PM
I hope the guy gets better and is alright, but i dont want to see him in a Pats uni again....

PromoTheRobot
09-01-2005, 12:46 AM
When he sees how the Bills are doing, he'll decide to sit out the year :D

mybills
09-01-2005, 09:11 AM
When he sees how the Bills are doing, he'll decide to sit out the year :D
:hi5:

I think he's foolish to come back. He has millions and two little ones to think about. I understand his love for the game, but cripe, he should be a coach or something. :cynic:

The last buffalo fan
09-01-2005, 10:45 AM

I think he's foolish to come back. He has millions and two little ones to think about. I understand his love for the game, but cripe, he should be a coach or something. :cynic:

I think the same, but if we are going to kick their @$$, they better be a complete team, otherwise the patsies fan could start to argue about it.

don137
09-01-2005, 11:05 AM
If he can come back at no further risk I say go for it...He is a great player and a great leader for the Patriots. If/when we beat the Patriots I rather have there best 11 on the field...

PatsowntheNFL
09-01-2005, 11:20 AM
... for the Colts game. He would be coming off the PUP. Apparently, Bob Kraft let it slip in an interview on NECN. When asked about missing Bruschi, Kraft said "he will be out the first 7 games.".
I don't think it's a wise move for Teddy to come back this season, he can sit back and watch us win our 4th superbowl in five years and provide moral support and help be a coach on the sidelines.

Michael82
09-01-2005, 11:24 AM
I don't think it's a wise move for Teddy to come back this season, he can sit back and watch us come back to reality and provide moral support and help be a coach on the sidelines.

I agree. Great post! :bf1:

mybills
09-01-2005, 01:33 PM
I think the same, but if we are going to kick their @$$, they better be a complete team, otherwise the patsies fan could start to argue about it.
I can't see putting the man's health at risk to be a "complete" team. If they're so ***** great, they'll win without him. :snicker:

Throne Logic
09-01-2005, 02:09 PM
Thing is, I actually believe they are physically a better starting defense without him. They will miss his experience - no question - but if Colvin returns to top form, he'll be an improvement over Bruschi. Plus, they have a couple of young studs just waiting to prove themselves. As far as track records go, NE's young guys have been turning out to be very good. Of course, you could always make the depth argument, to which I'd offer no counter.

All that said, may every ball bounce in the wrong direction for New England.

Ickybaluky
09-01-2005, 02:31 PM
Thing is, I actually believe they are physically a better starting defense without him.

I don't know about physically, but what was undeniable was Tedy's penchant for making big plays in big games. The guy has a knack for coming up big when they needed him.

I don't know if you can quantify that.

HHURRICANE
09-01-2005, 05:36 PM

The two little ones mean something. However, he signed a very mediocre contract as his own agent. I don't think he has millions after just finishing his first year at 2 million a year. I'm sure he needs to play for the money.

Typ0
09-01-2005, 06:17 PM
I don't know about physically, but what was undeniable was Tedy's penchant for making big plays in big games. The guy has a knack for coming up big when they needed him.

I don't know if you can quantify that.

you can't...without him I firmly believe you don't even get to the superbowl last season. I love the game and seeing TB play is one of the main reasons I watch the sport so dilligently. The guy refused to lose. Remember when the gints were going to get stopped in the NFC championship game and LT just plain said no way and took the ball away from them? That is the type of player TB is...and his being active makes the league that much better. Even though I hate to see him on the Pats (only because they are in our division) and don't want him to risk his health...I welcome him back onto the field because I AM a true fan of the sport.

Tinboy
09-02-2005, 03:01 AM
I don't think its a wise move if he comes back this season. It's probably BS

Ickybaluky
09-02-2005, 06:28 AM
Tedy finally broke his silence in an interview with the Boston Globe and ruled out returning this year.

However, he says he is definitely returning next season.

Link (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2005/09/02/bruschi_plans_to_play_next_year/)

DynaPaul
09-02-2005, 07:31 AM
Tedy finally broke his silence in an interview with the Boston Globe and ruled out returning this year.

However, he says he is definitely returning next season.

Link (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2005/09/02/bruschi_plans_to_play_next_year/)

Don't get your hopes up. He's never coming back...

Ickybaluky
09-02-2005, 12:32 PM
Don't get your hopes up. He's never coming back...

A direct quote from Bruschi: "I'm definitely coming back next year..."

I'm not sure how you read that as ambiguous. As usual, you are guilty of wishful thinking.

Kolbiss
09-02-2005, 03:16 PM
You know what I hate about the Pats......

They have sooo much smack talking and bragging rights, and there is not a damn thing I can say to counter them. I bleed Buffalo, but they own us in every way shape and form, and it pisses me off to no end!!!!! :down:

Kolbiss
09-02-2005, 03:25 PM
Im sorry that had to be my 600th post!!!

DynaPaul
09-04-2005, 10:12 PM
A direct quote from Bruschi: "I'm definitely coming back next year..."

I'm not sure how you read that as ambiguous. As usual, you are guilty of wishful thinking.

Ahhhh, I don't think so. Lots of players insist that they'll be coming back. Bruschi is suffering from the same delusions that over-the-hill and career ending injury players suffer from. Mentally, they think they're still in the game and can play at the same level as before but physically they can not. Look at Jerry Rice for example, he's definitely the greatest receiver of all time but the can't play anymore. He's lost a few steps too many. Yet he won't retire and thinks he can still play like he did in San Francisco. (Rumor has it he may be waking up from this delusion before the season starts.) Bo Jackson thought he was coming back from that hip injury he suffered. Didn't happen.

Sure, I have no doubt that Tedy Bruschi TRULY believes that he's coming back. Sad to say that he isn't.

Run along now.

Ickybaluky
09-04-2005, 10:44 PM
Sure, I have no doubt that Tedy Bruschi TRULY believes that he's coming back. Sad to say that he isn't.

You are comparing him to Jerry Rice and Bo Jackson? Rice is 40-something. Jackson was going to retire from football even if he didn't get injured, to concentrate solely on baseball. Neither of those situations are remotely comparable, which shows you how desparately you are grabbing at straws.

The thing you don't realize is there is no medical reason Bruschi can't return. The doctors have cleared him. The hole in his heart that caused the problem has been repaired, and he has re-gained his full strength. If you read the article, you would know that.

I'll give you another to chew on: The Pats are healthier and more talented than they were a year ago. They have upgraded on offense with Logan Mankins and Ben Watson. They are a lot better ST (they have made this a big focus) with the additions of Tim Dwight and Ellis Hobbs as return men, along with top ST-er Wesley Mallard. They are far deeper in the secondary, with 10 guys, including 6 CB (Belichick cited this himself as the most improved area of the team). They are better up front, where they have one of the top young DL in the game.

The only place they took a blow was at ILB, and with the bodies they have there (Vrabel, Brown and Beisel), they look like they will work it out. This is the first preseason since Belichick arrived that they didn't suffer several big injuries in camp, with the only guy on IR being rookie LB Travis Claridge. They are healthier, more talented and better.

Of course, that doesn't guarantee anything as they still need to play the games. Injuries, luck and a tough schedule may be big factors. However, this looks to be the best team the Patriots have fielded in their current run.

Bulldog
09-04-2005, 11:14 PM
You are comparing him to Jerry Rice and Bo Jackson? Rice is 40-something. Jackson was going to retire from football even if he didn't get injured, to concentrate solely on baseball. Neither of those situations are remotely comparable, which shows you how desparately you are grabbing at straws.

The thing you don't realize is there is no medical reason Bruschi can't return. The doctors have cleared him. The hole in his heart that caused the problem has been repaired, and he has re-gained his full strength. If you read the article, you would know that.

I'll give you another to chew on: The Pats are healthier and more talented than they were a year ago. They have upgraded on offense with Logan Mankins and Ben Watson. They are a lot better ST (they have made this a big focus) with the additions of Tim Dwight and Ellis Hobbs as return men, along with top ST-er Wesley Mallard. They are far deeper in the secondary, with 10 guys, including 6 CB (Belichick cited this himself as the most improved area of the team). They are better up front, where they have one of the top young DL in the game.

The only place they took a blow was at ILB, and with the bodies they have there (Vrabel, Brown and Beisel), they look like they will work it out. This is the first preseason since Belichick arrived that they didn't suffer several big injuries in camp, with the only guy on IR being rookie LB Travis Claridge. They are healthier, more talented and better.

Of course, that doesn't guarantee anything as they still need to play the games. Injuries, luck and a tough schedule may be big factors. However, this looks to be the best team the Patriots have fielded in their current run.

I don't agree. The loss of Weiss and Crenell(sp?) are going to have an effect at some point. I for one don't think that NE has improved at all during the off season. That's not to say that they will miss the playoffs, but I don't think they're as strong as you think. None the less, they're still the champions until some one else says so. I think this might be the year of the Colts. We'll see.

Ickybaluky
09-05-2005, 08:46 AM
I don't agree. The loss of Weiss and Crenell(sp?) are going to have an effect at some point. I for one don't think that NE has improved at all during the off season. That's not to say that they will miss the playoffs, but I don't think they're as strong as you think. None the less, they're still the champions until some one else says so. I think this might be the year of the Colts. We'll see.

The loss of the coordinators is being overblown. They have had 7 months to deal with that. It is an adjustment, but too big a deal is being made of that like too much was made about the rules emphasis in pass coverage last season. The Pats still have an excellent staff and they are running the same system on both sides of the ball.

As for the talent, the upgrades in the secondary and on ST are very large, I don't see how anyone can dispute that given the guys brought in and how poor the Pats were last year in those two areas. People forget the Pats ST were pitiful last season (where they are usually quite strong) and their secondary was being held together by band-aids like Earthwind Moreland, Troy Brown and Hank Poteat. They addressed both those areas in the offseason.

It is funny that people talk about the Pats losses, but nobody wants to acknowledge the things they did to improve. I could break down the roster in detail, but in the end a lot of it comes down to how they play. IMO, the team has improved in a lot of areas. On offense, their OL is better and the TE combination of Graham/Watson is going to really open things up. They have 6 CB in Tyrone Poole, Asante Samuel, Randall Gay, Duane Starks, Chad Scott and Ellis Hobbs that will make them tough in passing situations. The doesn't include Eugene Wilson, who is one of their best cover guys despite playing FS. Their defensive front of Richard Seymour, Vince Wilfork, Ty Warren, Jarvis Green, Marquis Hill, Dan Klecko and Mike Wright is young, talented and deep. They have a bunch of guys who can rush the passer, like a now-healthy Rosevelt Colvin, Willie McGinest, Mike Vrabel and Chad Brown. That will allow them to bring pressure from different areas.

Just look at the key players they have acquired in recent drafts. Deion Branch, David Givens, Dan Graham, Jarvis Green, Ty Warren, Eugene Wilson, Asante Samuel, Dan Koppen, Vince Wilfork, Ben Watson and Logan Mankins. All those guys have been added since they won their first Super Bowl. That is why they have been able to withstand the losses, and in many areas improve. It is why they are more talented this year than in year's past.

There is little doubt that Tedy Bruschi is a big loss, but that doesn't mean they will be worse. They have improved in a lot of other areas, and while it will be different they have the chance to be better.

Michael82
09-05-2005, 01:47 PM
You know what I hate about the Pats......

They have sooo much smack talking and bragging rights, and there is not a damn thing I can say to counter them. I bleed Buffalo, but they own us in every way shape and form, and it pisses me off to no end!!!!! :down:
:ill:

**** THE PATRIOTS! This is their year to fall apart. I hope they have all kinds of problems. I hate them with a passion. :mad: :curse:

DynaPaul
09-05-2005, 02:01 PM

I did read the article but I still think it's just a lot of hot air. He's not coming back, just accept it already. His situation might not be exactly like Rice's or Jackson's but it's still similar. His situation is probably closest to Chris Spielman's, a former Bill. He thought he would come back from a neck injury and that was short-lived.

The guy had a stroke, there's no way in hell that you're telling me that he's going to come back and be the player he was if he even surprisingly does come back. From reading the rest of your post I can tell that you're an A-One Homer. You think all the moves the Patriots made over the offseason were strengthening the team and all the losses were just shedding dead skin that was no good anyway. I got news for you, those 2 coordinators and free agents you lost are BIG losses. Everyone around the league knows that the Patriots biggest strength has always been coaching and when you lose your two number 2 guys that's a big hit. Ty Law is a loss, he's a top notch CB that can still make the big plays. All of the free agents you guys picked up aren't even game breakers so I don't know where you come off thinking the Pats are more powerful than they've ever been.

You'd like to think I'm grasping at straws but when the season starts next week, after a few games, you'll come back down to earth.
:rockon:

Ickybaluky
09-05-2005, 07:08 PM
You're reply proves your just wishing. You provide no detail at all, you just don't like them.

Call me a homer if you want, I think my opinion is grounded based on what I've seen of the team. I've pointed out where they are better, citing specifically why. All you do is say they are worse, because you hate them and want it that way.

All you point to is what they lost. Is Ty Law a loss? He wasn't on the team after week 7, he certainly wasn't with the team in the playoffs. Their secondary last year was decimated from the middle of last year on, forcing them to play guys like Moreland, Brown and Poteat. The secondary is light years better than the team that won the Super Bow, given the guys they brought in to replace them.

What about ST? The Pats were among the worst in the NFL last year on ST, so they addressed it. They retain their top ST guys like Izzo, Chatham, Banta-Cain and Don Davis, and added Wesley Mallard who was one of the leading ST tacklers on the Giants in recent years. They drafted James Sanders and Ellis Hobbs, both of whom are considered very good ST guys. They added Tim Dwight and Andre' Davis as return guys, on top of proven return man Bethel Johnson. How is that not an upgrade?

I've pointed out the draft picks that have been added in recent years, do you disagree with any of them being good players.

If you look at it objectively, they are better.

They improved on ST, an area of weakness last year, specifically upgrading the return game which should lead to better field position.

They are deep in the secondary, another area of weakness last year. They have tons of cover guys that will allow them to play all those exotic schemes they like in sub packages.

The young DL, which has 3 #1 picks starting, has another year of seasoning and remains deep and strong.

Their OL returns 4/5ths of their starters, with the replacement being a #1 draft pick who has stepped right in and looks like he is going to be dominant. As a bonus, the OL gets back Tom Ashworth, a starter on the 2003 Super Bowl team who missed last year to injury. They added another draft pick in Nick Kaczur, who looks like he will develop into a nice player and has played every OL position but C in the preseason. Their other backup is Russ Hochstein, who started in the Super Bowl run of 2003 and backs up all 3 interior line positions. The long and short of it is the OL is real strong.

The QB returns, and Doug Flutie is a better backup than Rohan Davey (although they are screwed if Brady is out for the season).

At RB, Dillon looks even stronger than a year ago and Patrick Pass looks great. Kevin Faulk is a perfect role player. The only problem is if Dillon gets hurt for an extended period because they don't have another RB who can be a feature back (although they did win before they had the guy).

At TE, they have 2 #1 picks with sick talent. Graham is a great blocker who will chip in 30-40 catches, while Ben Watson has Antonio Gates-type athleticism and will be moved around all over the place as an H-back. He adds a whole new dimension to the offense. Christian Fauria returns as a solid veteran backup.

At WR, Deion Branch and David Givens are a solid starting duo. The one question they have is if anyone will step up as the #3 from among Troy Brown, Davis, Dwight and Johnson. However, Watson plays the slot in spread sets, allowing them to change formation without changing personnel (forcing favorable matchups).

At LB, they have Colvin returning to full health after playing his best 2 games last year in the AFC Championships and Super Bowl. They return McGinest and Vrabel. They still have Banta-Cain and Chatham, who have backed up in recent years. They signed Brown and Beisel. Are they as good as last year? No, but they are still good.

As a bonus, they come out of the preseason healthier than they have in years.

As for the coaches, they have been operating without them for months. They still have excellent coaches left, with Belichick running the show. They could adjust to the changes before the season, and have been operating through the preseason just fine. Both Crennel and Weis are excellent coaches, but the Pats were preparing for them to leave and are ready. The scheme and team remains the same.

Tedy Bruschi is a loss, undoubtedly, but one that can be offset by improvements in other areas. There are challenges. The early season schedule is killer, especially since they usually don't start fast historically. If they come out of hte first 6 games 3-3 or 4-2, they will be right on pace to win the division and be in the tournament. The defense will probably be in flux a little early, and the offense will take some time to get into a groove. However, once they do, they have the look of a dangerous team, one that will contend for another title. That is about all you can look for as a fan.

Look at the whole team don't just say what they lost. Point out where you see them weaker than a year ago. I only see ILB, other than that I see a lot of areas of improvment. I'd be surprised if they don't win 12 games.

DynaPaul
09-06-2005, 12:17 AM
You're reply proves your just wishing. You provide no detail at all, you just don't like them.

Call me a homer if you want, I think my opinion is grounded based on what I've seen of the team. I've pointed out where they are better, citing specifically why. All you do is say they are worse, because you hate them and want it that way.

All you point to is what they lost. Is Ty Law a loss? He wasn't on the team after week 7, he certainly wasn't with the team in the playoffs. Their secondary last year was decimated from the middle of last year on, forcing them to play guys like Moreland, Brown and Poteat. The secondary is light years better than the team that won the Super Bow, given the guys they brought in to replace them.

What about ST? The Pats were among the worst in the NFL last year on ST, so they addressed it. They retain their top ST guys like Izzo, Chatham, Banta-Cain and Don Davis, and added Wesley Mallard who was one of the leading ST tacklers on the Giants in recent years. They drafted James Sanders and Ellis Hobbs, both of whom are considered very good ST guys. They added Tim Dwight and Andre' Davis as return guys, on top of proven return man Bethel Johnson. How is that not an upgrade?

I've pointed out the draft picks that have been added in recent years, do you disagree with any of them being good players.

If you look at it objectively, they are better.

They improved on ST, an area of weakness last year, specifically upgrading the return game which should lead to better field position.

They are deep in the secondary, another area of weakness last year. They have tons of cover guys that will allow them to play all those exotic schemes they like in sub packages.

The young DL, which has 3 #1 picks starting, has another year of seasoning and remains deep and strong.

Their OL returns 4/5ths of their starters, with the replacement being a #1 draft pick who has stepped right in and looks like he is going to be dominant. As a bonus, the OL gets back Tom Ashworth, a starter on the 2003 Super Bowl team who missed last year to injury. They added another draft pick in Nick Kaczur, who looks like he will develop into a nice player and has played every OL position but C in the preseason. Their other backup is Russ Hochstein, who started in the Super Bowl run of 2003 and backs up all 3 interior line positions. The long and short of it is the OL is real strong.

The QB returns, and Doug Flutie is a better backup than Rohan Davey (although they are screwed if Brady is out for the season).

At RB, Dillon looks even stronger than a year ago and Patrick Pass looks great. Kevin Faulk is a perfect role player. The only problem is if Dillon gets hurt for an extended period because they don't have another RB who can be a feature back (although they did win before they had the guy).

At TE, they have 2 #1 picks with sick talent. Graham is a great blocker who will chip in 30-40 catches, while Ben Watson has Antonio Gates-type athleticism and will be moved around all over the place as an H-back. He adds a whole new dimension to the offense. Christian Fauria returns as a solid veteran backup.

At WR, Deion Branch and David Givens are a solid starting duo. The one question they have is if anyone will step up as the #3 from among Troy Brown, Davis, Dwight and Johnson. However, Watson plays the slot in spread sets, allowing them to change formation without changing personnel (forcing favorable matchups).

At LB, they have Colvin returning to full health after playing his best 2 games last year in the AFC Championships and Super Bowl. They return McGinest and Vrabel. They still have Banta-Cain and Chatham, who have backed up in recent years. They signed Brown and Beisel. Are they as good as last year? No, but they are still good.

As a bonus, they come out of the preseason healthier than they have in years.

As for the coaches, they have been operating without them for months. They still have excellent coaches left, with Belichick running the show. They could adjust to the changes before the season, and have been operating through the preseason just fine. Both Crennel and Weis are excellent coaches, but the Pats were preparing for them to leave and are ready. The scheme and team remains the same.

Tedy Bruschi is a loss, undoubtedly, but one that can be offset by improvements in other areas. There are challenges. The early season schedule is killer, especially since they usually don't start fast historically. If they come out of hte first 6 games 3-3 or 4-2, they will be right on pace to win the division and be in the tournament. The defense will probably be in flux a little early, and the offense will take some time to get into a groove. However, once they do, they have the look of a dangerous team, one that will contend for another title. That is about all you can look for as a fan.

Look at the whole team don't just say what they lost. Point out where you see them weaker than a year ago. I only see ILB, other than that I see a lot of areas of improvment. I'd be surprised if they don't win 12 games.

My skepticism isn't based on hate. I didn't provide 10 paragraphs worth of details because I don't have enough time in the day to sit here composing a message of that magnitude.

Ickybaluky
09-06-2005, 07:36 AM
My skepticism isn't based on hate. I didn't provide 10 paragraphs worth of details because I don't have enough time in the day to sit here composing a message of that magnitude.

Right, because you have nothing to say to make your argument.

mybills
09-06-2005, 07:42 AM
It was a rumor alright..front page of the Providence Journal says he's not coming back until next year.

And Hurricane...he's never played for the money..he just loves the game.

Dozerdog
09-06-2005, 07:51 AM
I think the Pats have improved at WR, ST, in the defensive backfield.

Obviously, their LB corps has been degraded somewhat but they have huge depth.

The biggest contributor of someone having the ability to dethrone them will be the improvements in the competition.

Just like the Bills in their Super Bowl heyday- until someone actually knocks them off , they are the kings of the hill.

Just beat'em.

Ickybaluky
09-06-2005, 08:21 AM
I think the Pats have improved at WR, ST, in the defensive backfield.

Obviously, their LB corps has been degraded somewhat but they have huge depth.

The biggest contributor of someone having the ability to dethrone them will be the improvements in the competition.

Just like the Bills in their Super Bowl heyday- until someone actually knocks them off , they are the kings of the hill.

Just beat'em.

I think the schedule is a factor as well as improved competition. The Pats first 6 games are tough, and 4 of those are on the road. Then they get into divisional competition later in the year.

I think the best chance of someone overtaking them in the division is if that team can get off to a fast start. It seems unlikely the Pats will hit their stride early, given their schedule. If the Bills or Jets can get off to a fast start, it will force the Pats to play catchup later in the year.

mybills
09-06-2005, 09:01 AM
I never understood how people say "tough schedule" in the begining..when nobody knows how any of the teams will play. What if they all sucked compared to NE in those first 4 games? Would it still be considered tough? :;

DynaPaul
09-06-2005, 11:49 AM
Right, because you have nothing to say to make your argument.

You're right, I don't. That's because I'll let the way the Pats season plays out do the talking for me.

Better cross your fingers...

:brush: