• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Typ0
    honey pie
    • Jul 2002

Doug Flutie

honestly the Pats got a good QB with this guy. If brady goes down for a few weeks he's a perfect fit for a backup role...he just can't play more than 8 games.
  • wchutalkinboutwillis
    • Mar 2005

Re: Doug Flutie

Originally posted by Typ0
    honestly the Pats got a good QB with this guy. If brady goes down for a few weeks he's a perfect fit for a backup role...he just can't play more than 8 games.
    He really couldn't be in a better situation: Great running back, decent receivers, playing in his hometown with the SuperBowl champs. However, if he does get the chance to play, and wins a couple of games, he will divide the team AND the fans. Sound familiar??

"If I had my way, I'd shuffle off to Buffalo. Sit by the lake and watch the world go by." Fogerty

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

yeah and every play has to be a bootleg or shotgun cuz he's too short to see receivers from the pocket. Flutie has some talent and the fact that he's still in the NFL is amazing, but his physical stature limits the offense's playbook.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by wchutalkinboutwillis
        However, if he does get the chance to play, and wins a couple of games, he will divide the team AND the fans. Sound familiar??
        won't happen- Brady has 3 rings in 4 years, Flutie has none. I'm sure he'll get fan support if he has to come in for Brady, but there won't be a controversy once Brady returns. He's too young and too successful (as much as I hate him, I have come to grips with reality).
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Typ0
          honey pie
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
          yeah and every play has to be a bootleg or shotgun cuz he's too short to see receivers from the pocket. Flutie has some talent and the fact that he's still in the NFL is amazing, but his physical stature limits the offense's playbook.
          it doesn't matter in this situation. As a short term backup he gives them a great chance to win games. But they're going to be screwed if Brady goes down long term.

Comment

• Typ0
            honey pie
            • Jul 2002

He really couldn't be in a better situation: Great running back, decent receivers, playing in his hometown with the SuperBowl champs. However, if he does get the chance to play, and wins a couple of games, he will divide the team AND the fans. Sound familiar??
            he's been rightfully put in his place since that whole situation...and I blame the whole thing on Fade who wasn't decisive enough.

Comment

• wchutalkinboutwillis
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37
              won't happen- Brady has 3 rings in 4 years, Flutie has none. I'm sure he'll get fan support if he has to come in for Brady, but there won't be a controversy once Brady returns. He's too young and too successful (as much as I hate him, I have come to grips with reality).
              You make good sense but the hometown thing pulls a lot of weight. Let's say the Pats are 6-4, Brady goes down with a bursa sack in his elbow and Flutie comes in. Flutie wins two games, in flambouyant fashion, against competitive playoff bound foes. Brady comes back and flops in the first game because the bursa sack isn't healing as expected. In his second week back, it's the same thing. The damn bursa sack won't let him get rid of the ball quickly enough. Flutie has 20,000 relatives and friends in the stands. They are chanting wildly. DIVISION.
              I welcome comments on this very likely scenario.

"If I had my way, I'd shuffle off to Buffalo. Sit by the lake and watch the world go by." Fogerty

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                • Jan 2003

You make good sense but the hometown thing pulls a lot of weight. Let's say the Pats are 6-4, Brady goes down with a bursa sack in his elbow and Flutie comes in. Flutie wins two games, in flambouyant fashion, against competitive playoff bound foes. Brady comes back and flops in the first game because the bursa sack isn't healing as expected. In his second week back, it's the same thing. The damn bursa sack won't let him get rid of the ball quickly enough. Flutie has 20,000 relatives and friends in the stands. They are chanting wildly. DIVISION.
                I welcome comments on this very likely scenario.
                I can see the Pat's fans being fickle, but not that fickle. He played there once before and didn't get any great reaction when he left. Brady has won three SBs in four years. Nobody will ever supplant him. If anyone tries, he will be run out of NE after being tarred and feathered.

Comment

• Typ0
                  honey pie
                  • Jul 2002

no matter where you go there are a lot of people who want to root for the underdog...it's irrelevent the pats organization want's to win championships and they have clearly assembled teams with a TON of integrity over the past few years. If the stadium fills up with underdog worshipers it's not going to make one bit of difference to the coaches, management or the players.

Comment

• PromoTheRobot
                    • Sep 2003

Doug was held scoreless and threw an INT in the end zone in his one half of play vs the Giants tonight. Whatever.

PTR
                    10 Commandments of the D
                    1. Never stop Rocking.
                    2. Legalize all drugs.
                    3. Quit your day job.
                    4. All Religion should be taxed.
                    5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
                    6. F**k her gently.
                    7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
                    8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
                    9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
                    10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

Comment

• Typ0
                      honey pie
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by PromoTheRobot
                      Doug was held scoreless and threw an INT in the end zone in his one half of play vs the Giants tonight. Whatever.

PTR
                      he looked fine...except for the INT on a possession he should have scored points.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                        • Jul 2003

he looked fine...except for the INT on a possession he should have scored points.
                        It isn't like he had a lot of shot going in, the starting lineup on offense looked like this:

QB -- Doug Flutie
                        RB -- Patrick Pass
                        FB -- Kyle Eckel
                        TE -- Jed Weaver
                        WRs -- Davis Terrell, Andre' Davis
                        LT -- Nick Kaczur
                        LG -- Gene Mruczkowski
                        C -- Russ Hochstein
                        RG -- Billy Yates
                        RT -- Victor Leyva

Of those, only Flutie, Pass, Davis, Kaczur and Hochstein are likley to make the team.

The Patriots only dressed 37 players tonight, despite having 71 on the roster (not including Bruschi) and none of those has a serious injury. That means they basically sat 34 players, including all starters and key role players.

Comment

• Speaker
                          • Sep 2005

Yeah he really is what I'd call an "Ideal Back-Up" not great for a full time starter but can win a few games and perform at least average. They sure did better with him then they would've with Rohan Davey (Even though I like Rohan).
                          Let's Go Buffalo!

Comment

• jdenning
                            • Dec 2004

Honestly people im sorry to bring it up I really am and even though we had the game won anyway.... why did he start Rob Johnson instead of Flutie!!! Flutie was doin awesome for us and the team was playing so good with a ton of momentum we deserved that heart breaking loss for that stupid decision by Phillips

Comment

• The_Philster
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by jdenning
                              Honestly people im sorry to bring it up I really am and even though we had the game won anyway.... why did he start Rob Johnson instead of Flutie!!! Flutie was doin awesome for us and the team was playing so good with a ton of momentum we deserved that heart breaking loss for that stupid decision by Phillips
                              Because Flutie was having an up-and-down season that year...there were points in the season we were winning in spite of Flutie and there were a couple of losses in which we would've won had me not made so many dumb decisions. During his one bad stretch midseason, there were a lot of people questioning why the switch wasn't made since Wade did announce we had 2 starters. Speculation is that Wade didn't make the switch for fear of upsetting Ralph...Ralph was the one who pushed for that ridiculous contract extension Flutie signed in the offseason. When we clinched a berth, Wade started Rob and when he played very well, Ralph gave his consent to make the switch. Problem was the timing...Flutie had started to play better near the end of the season
                              The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

Working...
                              X