PDA

View Full Version : On This Date in Bills History....

Historian
09-02-2005, 06:21 AM
1968- Wray Carlton, the team's career rushing leader, was cut along with Ed Rutkowski, but only Rutkowski was brought back after he cleared waivers.

1979- In a monsoon-like rainstorm, Tom Dempsey's 34 yard fied goal sails wide right, extending Miami's dominance over Buffalo to 19 games.

1984- New England deals the Bills a 21-17 opening day loss, before a scant crowd of 48,528 fans at Rich Stadium.

1988- Bruce Smith is suspended by the league for the first four games of the season for cocaine abuse.

1997- Bruce Smith is convicted of drunk driving in Virginia Beach, and fined 250 dollars.

Earthquake Enyart
09-02-2005, 06:37 AM
1968- Wray Carlton, the team's career rushing leader, was cut along with Ed Rutkowski, but only Rutkowski was brought back after he cleared waivers.

1979- In a monsoon-like rainstorm, Tom Dempsey's 34 yard fied goal sails wide right, extending Miami's dominance over Buffalo to 19 games.

1984- New England deals the Bills a 21-17 opening day loss, before a scant crowd of 48,528 fans at Rich Stadium.

1988- Bruce Smith is suspended by the league for the first four games of the season for cocaine abuse.

1997- Bruce Smith is convicted of drunk driving in Virginia Beach, and fined 250 dollars.
I was at that Tom Dempsey game. :fury:

It rained like hell that whole second half, but it was all going to be worth it because all we needed was a chip shot field goal to FINALLY beat the GD fish...... :mad:

I couldn't believe the crippled bastard missed that one. :mad:

Earthquake Enyart
09-02-2005, 06:37 AM
Looks like Bruce should stay in bed today with the sheets pulled over his head.

Historian
09-02-2005, 10:30 AM
I was at that Tom Dempsey game. :fury:

It rained like hell that whole second half, but it was all going to be worth it because all we needed was a chip shot field goal to FINALLY beat the GD fish...... :mad:

I couldn't believe the crippled bastard missed that one. :mad:

I was there too, with my Father.

The 1971 opener against Dallas was a nasty, rainy day, but I don't ever remember sitting in a storm like the 79 opener.

Earthquake Enyart
09-02-2005, 11:51 AM
I was there with my Dad too.

There was a Jet game I went to once in that era that had a howling sideway pouring rain. Joe Ferguson and Namath threw for about 50 yards total.