• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

For all the people who said we couldnt afford

Mike Chappell, of the Indianapolis Star, reports the five-year contract signed by Indianapolis Colts DT Corey Simon includes a $5 million signing bonus and $540,000 base salary this year, which translates into an economical $1.54 million hit against the salary cap for 2005. There's also an $8 million option bonus in 2006. It isn't guaranteed, so this could be a one-year experiment if Simon isn't everything the Colts believe he is.

1.54 against the cap this year. We could have signed him and then resigned Clements as well just like CP and I stated!

• Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

Re: For all the people who said we couldnt afford

Originally posted by jp-era
    Mike Chappell, of the Indianapolis Star, reports the five-year contract signed by Indianapolis Colts DT Corey Simon includes a $5 million signing bonus and $540,000 base salary this year, which translates into an economical $1.54 million hit against the salary cap for 2005. There's also an $8 million option bonus in 2006. It isn't guaranteed, so this could be a one-year experiment if Simon isn't everything the Colts believe he is.

1.54 against the cap this year. We could have signed him and then resigned Clements as well just like CP and I stated!
    Um. No. The Bills 53 man roster, as constructed after the 14 cuts today, puts them approximately $1.65 million under the cap. The Practice Squad will cost them $40,000 a week for 17 weeks. Right now they have to come to injury settlements with the 4 guys on IR or rearrange some contracts in order to have a practice squad for the season. The Bills currently have $2 mil wrapped up in guys on PUP and IR. Without some creative accounting (contract restructures) the Bills could not have signed Simon AND extended Clements, IMO.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Dozerdog
      In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
      • Jul 2002

It looks sweet this year, but it's a nice whack against the cap 2-3 4 years down the road.

You can sign anybody in this league- it all depends on how much you want to ravage your future salary cap.

Comment

• Devin
        The Octagon
        • Apr 2003

To be honest I think Edwards is going to turn into a mauler on the pass rush.
        http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• BuffaloRanger
          WORK HARD. PLAY HARD. LIVE HARD.
          • Mar 2003

I am a big fan of the "lose now" and "still lose later" concept the Bills have been going with over the last few years.

But at least we have alot of cap flexibility to show for it. That TD can really manage a cap...oh wait, not really.
          Buffalo Only and Always.

Comment

• Turf
            • Jul 2002

The only defensive player we need is a DE.
            Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• clumping platelets

Originally posted by Ebenezer
              Um. No. The Bills 53 man roster, as constructed after the 14 cuts today, puts them approximately $1.65 million under the cap. The Practice Squad will cost them $40,000 a week for 17 weeks. Right now they have to come to injury settlements with the 4 guys on IR or rearrange some contracts in order to have a practice squad for the season. The Bills currently have $2 mil wrapped up in guys on PUP and IR. Without some creative accounting (contract restructures) the Bills could not have signed Simon AND extended Clements, IMO.

Bills do not need any cap management to afford the PS.......last yrs cost for the PS was $578,000 ($4,250 x 8 players x 17 weeks). I have them $1,711,456 under....that still leaves over $1 million in cap space for injury replacements

Why do they need to come to injury setlements with injured players? They can be left on the IR, not gain a yr towards experience, and return in 2006 at the same salary as in 2005

It's true, Bills would have needed cap management to afford both Clements and Simon. However, Clements' extension could have/could still result in no additional cap hit on 2005 if his $2.5 million salary is reduced to his vet min of $540,000 and the Bills used the $1.96 million towards his bonus amortization. Simple restructure of Spikes could have gotten Simon. His signing would have likely resulted in the release of either Sape or Bannan, thus netting some more cap space towards his deal.

Comment

• X-Era
                • Feb 2005

See CP's comments, hes got you covered. Nice way of saying wrong again for the 3rd time.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                  Give me a minute...
                  • Jul 2002

See CP's comments, hes got you covered. Nice way of saying wrong again for the 3rd time.
                  What are you reading??? I said they couldn't sign both Simon AND Clements without redoing some contracts...he said the same thing.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• X-Era
                    • Feb 2005

Then we are in screaming agreement. Your right, you did say that. My crack is at the "we cant sign insert name here because we dont have the cap space". There always here and I was taking you that way. Im sorry if Im wrong.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                      Give me a minute...
                      • Jul 2002

Then we are in screaming agreement. Your right, you did say that. My crack is at the "we cant sign insert name here because we dont have the cap space". There always here and I was taking you that way. Im sorry if Im wrong.
                      No problem. Clump and I have said for years that you can sign anybody to any contract as long as you redo any amount of deals to open up the cap space.

My numbers on the PS were incorrect because I did a quick multiply in my head instead of in my spreadsheet.

And I screwed up the bonuses for Tucker and a couple of others...I have the Bills about $1.9 under...about $100+K more than clump...the same $100+K we have differed on all year...

Comment

Working...
                      X