PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Lindell

Throne Logic
09-04-2005, 01:34 AM
OK, I'm not going to proclaim Lindell to be the next Morton Andersen. HOWEVER, folks around here are coming down awful hard on the guy for finishing 2004 safely within the top 10 in all scoring stats. He was 7th in Percentage made, 8th in total points for the season, and he did not miss an extra point all season (in fact, he hasn't EVER missed an NFL extra point). He may not consistently reach the endzone on kickoffs, but how many kickers do since the tee was lowered and moved back a few years ago?

I agree that he has not instilled great confidence in me when lining up for a kick. But I really have to question why I feel like that. Is it because I keep reading all these hate posts about him? It isn't as though he missed a number of game-on-the-line kicks (although you wouldn't know it by reading posts around here). His stats are not bad at all, especially when you consider where he plays most of his games. He only missed 4 kicks all year.

Here's the basic line on Lindell's last two seasons:

YEAR TEAM G FGM FGA PCT LNG XPM XPA PTS
2003 BUF 16 17 24 70.8 44 24 24 75
2004 BUF 16 24 28 85.7 43 45 45 117

Last season was a dramatic improvement over 2003. But, consider that the 2003 team pretty much sucked in general.

Would you consider this kicker better or worse than Lindell?

YEAR TEAM G FGM FGA PCT LNG XPM XPA PTS
1992 BUF 16 24 30 80.0 54 43 44 115
1993 BUF 16 23 32 71.9 59 36 37 105
1994 BUF 16 24 28 85.7 52 38 38 110
1995 BUF 16 31 40 77.5 51 33 35 126
1996 BUF 16 24 29 82.8 48 33 33 105
1997 BUF 16 24 30 80.0 55 21 21 93
1998 BUF 16 33 41 80.5 52 41 41 140
1999 BUF 16 25 34 73.5 52 33 33 108
2000 BUF 16 26 35 74.3 48 31 31 109

Well, that was Steve Christie's career with Buffalo. Not once did he get his FG % as high as Lindell. If you remember, for a while, Steve was considered one of the most accurate kickers in NFL.

So, I'm going to bury my doubts as far as I can for now. I'm going to give Lindell a fair shot going into this season. I'd suggest that all the haters take a closer look at last season and do the same. Either way, he's the guy were going with, so we may as well through some support behind him.

Uncle Jesse
09-04-2005, 02:59 AM
He sucks. Obviously.

YardRat
09-04-2005, 06:15 AM
He sucks. Obviously.
I second the motion.

eee1776
09-04-2005, 07:18 AM
His precentage is high because were afraid to let him try a field goal over forty yards. How the hell do you miss an extra point?

Typ0
09-04-2005, 07:26 AM
His precentage is high because were afraid to let him try a field goal over forty yards. How the hell do you miss an extra point?

exactly.

Dozerdog
09-04-2005, 07:30 AM
I just find statements like this hilarious.

Please give me a game where we were "afraid" to try a really long Field Goal.

deathadder
09-04-2005, 07:31 AM

Its called preseason and a bad snap. Duke Preston was snapping on the extra point attempt.

Typ0
09-04-2005, 07:44 AM
I just find statements like this hilarious.

Please give me a game where we were "afraid" to try a really long Field Goal.

I don't remember specific games...but I do know we need to be pretty darn close before we're in field goal range. Lindell is a far far cry from a guy like Akers who you send out there at the end with a shot to win the game anywhere inside the 40. Does that mean I want that in a kicker? No because it's not easy to find and I don't expect everyone on the team to be the best at their position...but I've had enough of Lindell over the years and an equal talent can be had for nothing.

The_Philster
09-04-2005, 08:13 AM
Its called preseason and a bad snap. Duke Preston was snapping on the extra point attempt.You're gonna confuse them with the facts, you know

Dozerdog
09-04-2005, 08:16 AM
I don't remember specific games....
This is usually the response I always get. People get some goofy notion in their head that it's some policy that the Bills don't try to kick 40 yard plus FGs when in actuality, the opportuntiy to do so has just not materialized.

Night Train
09-04-2005, 08:16 AM
It's hard to defend a PK who is wildly inconsistent, from any distance. You can throw all the stats up in front of us. The bottom line is I don't even trust him in the 20-39 yard range anymore. He completely whiffed on that 32 yarder Friday night.

Bringing in Todd France, Aaron Elling, Nick Novak or any other final cuts wouldn't cause any pain. Just take a look and see if any could...could...be an alternative to Lindell.

TheGhostofJimKelly
09-04-2005, 08:23 AM
throne logic = Tom Donahoe?

Dozerdog
09-04-2005, 08:28 AM
If there is a better kicker out there- go get him. But bringing in other team's garbage seems to be a waste of time.

footballhottie
09-04-2005, 08:42 AM
lindell :down:

G. Host
09-04-2005, 08:56 AM
Its called preseason and a bad snap. Duke Preston was snapping on the extra point attempt.

There are "facts" and "damn facts". "Damn facts" are those which contradict someone speaking out of their ass and you have stated one. Lindell is not a great kicker but not worthy of venom people have invested in him.

Typ0
09-04-2005, 09:15 AM
This is usually the response I always get. People get some goofy notion in their head that it's some policy that the Bills don't try to kick 40 yard plus FGs when in actuality, the opportuntiy to do so has just not materialized.

4-10-JAC33 (2:18) (Punt formation)
PENALTY on BUF, Delay of Game, 5 yards, enforced at JAX 33 - No Play.
4-15-JAC38 (2:18) B.Moorman punts 18 yards to JAX 20, Center-J.Dorenbos, downed by BUF-T.McGee. Penalty on BUF-J.Dorenbos, Offensive Holding, declined. Penalty before kick.

4-19-OAK37 (6:23) B.Moorman punts 27 yards to OAK 10, Center-J.Dorenbos, fair catch by P.Buchanon.

4-18-NYJ37 (:14) B.Moorman punts 24 yards to NYJ 13, Center-J.Dorenbos, out of bounds.

here you go Dozer...I took look at the first few games. In the JAX game we had the ball on their 33 and punted the ball. Making a FG there would have sealed it by the way and been a playoff berth for the bills. Over 40 yds on the bills lindell is 4 - 12 and it would be worse but they gave up on his long attempts season before last. Meanwhile...a kicker like Akers is 32 - 43 in the same time span over 40 yards. Lindell is great inside 40 yards of course...unless the game is on the line in which case he also sucks. And he can't kick off...so what good is he? If he misses a 30 yard kick at the end of a game this season I hope he gets hit by a sniper that's all I can say.

deathadder
09-04-2005, 09:24 AM
4-10-JAC33 (2:18) (Punt formation)
PENALTY on BUF, Delay of Game, 5 yards, enforced at JAX 33 - No Play.
4-15-JAC38 (2:18) B.Moorman punts 18 yards to JAX 20, Center-J.Dorenbos, downed by BUF-T.McGee. Penalty on BUF-J.Dorenbos, Offensive Holding, declined. Penalty before kick.

4-19-OAK37 (6:23) B.Moorman punts 27 yards to OAK 10, Center-J.Dorenbos, fair catch by P.Buchanon.

4-18-NYJ37 (:14) B.Moorman punts 24 yards to NYJ 13, Center-J.Dorenbos, out of bounds.

here you go Dozer...I took look at the first few games. In the JAX game we had the ball on their 33 and punted the ball. Making a FG there would have sealed it by the way and been a playoff berth for the bills. Over 40 yds on the bills lindell is 4 - 12 and it would be worse but they gave up on his long attempts season before last. Meanwhile...a kicker like Akers is 32 - 43 in the same time span over 40 yards. Lindell is great inside 40 yards of course...unless the game is on the line in which case he also sucks. And he can't kick off...so what good is he? If he misses a 30 yard kick at the end of a game this season I hope he gets hit by a sniper that's all I can say.

You do realize that you would tack on an extra 15 yards for field goal attemtpts? From those stats you provided, Lindell would be kicking over 50 yard field goals. Not all kickers can ckick like Elam in Broncos stadium

Typ0
09-04-2005, 09:28 AM
You do realize that you would tack on an extra 15 yards for field goal attemtpts? From those stats you provided, Lindell would be kicking over 50 yard field goals. Not all kickers can ckick like Elam in Broncos stadium

yes I do realize that. The JAX kick is a 48 yarder to put the game out of reach for the opponent...and we punted. We have a good defense and if we had a kicker that could make 1-4 attempts from long range we'd take the points that 1-4 time and hope the D stops them between the 40s the other times. Instead, we don't kick the ball longer than 45 yards...and like I said when the game is on the line Lindell also blows the kicks from inside 40. We should have made a change in the offseason any kicker can kick an extra point.

Dozerdog
09-04-2005, 09:55 AM
And you do realize that the Bills were winning that game, and trying to make Jacksonville drive 90 yards without timeouts- right?

The FG (If made) does not seal the victory for the Bills. It would have put them up 7. Jacksonville, which could not move the balll very well all day had to drive for a TD no matter what. The coaches have 3 decisions. 1- Kick a 48 yarder, make it- and give Jax the ball around the 20-35 yard line to start their next drive. 2- miss the FG and give Jax the ball at the 38 yd line. 3- Pin them on their 10 yard line.

Unless you have one of the top 3 kckers in the league, any coach would take option #3.

Do you honestly beleive the Bills didn't try a 48 yd FG there because they were "afraid" of Lindell? It was a sound coaching choice - one that most coaches - whomever there kickers are would make.

And if your point is the Bills would rather pin teams deep instead of trying 53 yard FGs then you have a point. Almost every team in the NFL would rather pin teams deep than try 53 yarders.

But the question (or accusation) was that the Bills are "afraid" to try 40 yard FGs- which is baloney.

Dozerdog
09-04-2005, 09:58 AM
Is Lindell average? Yes. Do I want a guy like Christie on the team who was pretty much money for 10 years? Obviously.

But you gus really hype the situation up. Concentrate on real issues with this team- like QB and OL inexperience.

GBAS

JJamezz
09-04-2005, 10:34 AM
C'mon, the coaches definitely shy away from the long FG with Lindell - maybe 'scared' isn't the right word, but they obviously don't trust him in situations over 40 yds.

I'm not gonna go stat-chasing all day, but of the kickers who played 16 games, Lindell has the lowest amount of attempts (and lowest % of made FG's) between 40-49 yds. - he made 1 out of 3.. The next lowest number of attempts is 6 - double Lindells attempts - and incidentally, ALL of them have a higher percentage of made FG's in that range.

Most (but not all) kickers have attempts over 50 yds, and obviously Lindell is not one of them..

Now I agree, we don't need a world beater at K.. I mean, Akers made 15 of 18 kicks between 40-49 yds... BUT, we need somebody who can be trusted in at least the first half of that range, say 40-45 yds.. which should be considered intermediate range kicks IMO.

Throne Logic
09-04-2005, 11:32 AM
I don't remember specific games...but I do know we need to be pretty darn close before we're in field goal range. Lindell is a far far cry from a guy like Akers who you send out there at the end with a shot to win the game anywhere inside the 40.

Yeeeees. Feel the hate. Let it flow through your veins.

Come on. The 40 yard line is not a place to be attempting kicks from. That's a 57 yard kick! The 30 yard line is what you are shooting for. Buffalo with Bledsoe couldn't put the ball in that territory. It was either score on a big play from your own side of the field, or stall between the opponents 40 and 50 yard lines. Mooreman's stats suffered with that, too. He was continuously asked to pooch punt.

Akers instills confidence in you?!? I'd give you more credit here if you made the argument to bring back Steve Christie, who happens to be available. He made 3/4 from 50+ last season.

When you want to, you can find excuses to put anyone down. I just don't feel that Lindell has done anything truly worthy of the hate he receives around here.

Vanderjagt missed 4 kicks between 30 - 49 yards, including a kick to lose a game last season AND he missed an extra point - he must suck. Hey, Akers missed an extra point, too.

Please, actually take a closer look at the list of kickers in the NFL and tell me, truly, who makes you feel all warm and fuzzy when they line up for a kick. It's an extremely short list. Now, if you must really be persisent about it, cross reference that list with all of the available kickers in the off season. You'll find that list to be even shorter.

Throne Logic
09-04-2005, 11:37 AM
C'mon, the coaches definitely shy away from the long FG with Lindell - maybe 'scared' isn't the right word, but they obviously don't trust him in situations over 40 yds.

I'm not gonna go stat-chasing all day, but of the kickers who played 16 games, Lindell has the lowest amount of attempts (and lowest % of made FG's) between 40-49 yds. - he made 1 out of 3.. The next lowest number of attempts is 6 - double Lindells attempts - and incidentally, ALL of them have a higher percentage of made FG's in that range.

Most (but not all) kickers have attempts over 50 yds, and obviously Lindell is not one of them..

Now I agree, we don't need a world beater at K.. I mean, Akers made 15 of 18 kicks between 40-49 yds... BUT, we need somebody who can be trusted in at least the first half of that range, say 40-45 yds.. which should be considered intermediate range kicks IMO.

Look at our offense last season. I mean really take a look at it. Now, very carefully, think about how many opportunities that the offense actually provided for a potential FG within the range of 40-49 yards.

STAMPY
09-04-2005, 11:58 AM
Steve Christie used to kick many 50 yarders in buffalo

JJamezz
09-04-2005, 12:02 PM
Look at our offense last season. I mean really take a look at it. Now, very carefully, think about how many opportunities that the offense actually provided for a potential FG within the range of 40-49 yards.

I have no idea... and like I said, I'm not gonna go digging around all day for stats. But ask yourself, very carefully... is it a coincidence that the Bills had the least 40+ yard FG attempts in the entire NFL last season??

Typ0
09-04-2005, 12:43 PM
I have no idea... and like I said, I'm not gonna go digging around all day for stats. But ask yourself, very carefully... is it a coincidence that the Bills had the least 40+ yard FG attempts in the entire NFL last season??

it's pretty clear to me too...no sense trying to rationalize with anyone though. I am concerned about the OLine...and now we are very week in the depth dept too. Perhaps we are going to get someone else in here to help in that area. I know I have a lot of confidence in McNally. He knows what he's doing and I've noticed his lines start off slow but they always get going. Nothing worries me on this team like the Ryan Lindell Coy Wire show!

Dozerdog
09-04-2005, 01:22 PM
If the Bills wer routinely on the 30 and going for it on 4th and 2, 4th and 3, 4th and 4- or punting from there- you might have a case the Bills are "Avoiding" the 40 yarder.

I don't recall many of those situations if at all.

Crisis
09-04-2005, 01:39 PM
He hasn't made one clutch kick in his time in Buffalo.

I'd take Mike Hollis over him. I remember almost pissing myself when he hit the crossbar and went in against the Vikes. A 50% Hollis is better than Lindell.

I do hope he proves me wrong though.

Crisis
09-04-2005, 01:42 PM
From 40+ yards Lindell is 28-51.

And his name isn't Ryan, it's "Rian."

That's pansy enough to be cut.

eee1776
09-04-2005, 02:13 PM
I will say one more thing the Lindell situation and that is....I do pay attention to extra points now> Is there anyone out there that doesn't hold there breath ona field goal or extra point attempt.

The_Philster
09-04-2005, 02:22 PM
I will say one more thing the Lindell situation and that is....I do pay attention to extra points now> Is there anyone out there that doesn't hold there breath ona field goal or extra point attempt.I don't...Dorenbos is the long snapper, not Preston

Uncle Jesse
09-04-2005, 06:26 PM
People that keep defending this idiot are almost as dumb as he his, he sucks, ask anyone thatds not a bills fan thats seen the guy kick, HE IS NOT A GOOD KICKER, i bet if he was elsewhere people on here would be bashing and making fun of this guy all the time watching him be a complete trainwreck on the field.

Dozerdog
09-04-2005, 06:30 PM
:rofl:

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY id=collapseobj_usercp_reputation><TR><TD class=thead colSpan=2>Thread</TD><TD class=thead>Date</TD><TD class=thead noWrap>Posted By</TD><TD class=thead>Comment</TD></TR><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: usercp_reputationbits --><TR><TD class=alt2>http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/reputation/reputation_neg.gif</TD><TD class=alt1Active id=p1148523 width="50%">Ryan Lindell (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?p=1148523#post1148523)</TD><TD class=alt2 noWrap>09-04-2005 07:21 PM</TD><TD class=alt1 noWrap>LindellSucks (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=4018)</TD><TD class=alt2 width="50%">your an idiot</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

If you have an issue with my posts- I'd be glad to discuss it with you .

Or you can hide behind the :couch:

LOL...I'm rubber- you're glue
your insults bounce off me and stick to you. :tongue:

Night Train
09-04-2005, 07:40 PM
Good lord, Dozer. Your rep took a beating on that " one" .

obi wan
09-04-2005, 07:53 PM
Somone said Christie is available??????????????????????????????? So why the hell arent we bringing him in?? Between Tucker and Haddad getting cut to be able to keep garbage like Wilson and Reed and keeping Lindell without even bringing in anyone worth a damn to compete against him...this is getting ridiculous.

ShadowHawk7
09-04-2005, 10:30 PM

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY id=collapseobj_usercp_reputation><TR><TD class=thead colSpan=2>Thread</TD><TD class=thead>Date</TD><TD class=thead noWrap>Posted By</TD><TD class=thead>Comment</TD></TR><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: usercp_reputationbits --><TR><TD class=alt2>http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/reputation/reputation_neg.gif</TD><TD class=alt1Active id=p1148523 width="50%">Ryan Lindell (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?p=1148523#post1148523)</TD><TD class=alt2 noWrap>09-04-2005 07:21 PM</TD><TD class=alt1 noWrap>LindellSucks (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=4018)</TD><TD class=alt2 width="50%">your an idiot</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

If you have an issue with my posts- I'd be glad to discuss it with you .

Or you can hide behind the :couch:

LOL...I'm rubber- you're glue
your insults bounce off me and stick to you. :tongue:

Yeah, there not much you can say that lol.

Bert102176
09-05-2005, 01:02 AM
we already have another teams garbage since Lindell came from the Seahawks we took their garbage

Uncle Jesse
09-05-2005, 02:33 AM
You guys wonder why nobody likes this board, and everyother board bashes it, i'll prolly be banned soon like alota people, oh yeah Jayhawk says hi!

Tinboy
09-05-2005, 04:02 AM
I'm willing to give Lindell another chance but he better be good this year! With JP looking shaky we need a good kicker.

The_Philster
09-05-2005, 04:45 AM
You guys wonder why nobody likes this board, and everyother board bashes it, i'll prolly be banned soon like alota people, oh yeah Jayhawk says hi!:rolleyes:

Jan Reimers
09-05-2005, 07:12 AM
Steve Christie used to kick many 50 yarders in buffalo
The operative words are, "used to." He is now approaching 40 and not the kicker he "used to" be.

Meathead
09-05-2005, 08:40 AM
Yeeeees. Feel the hate. Let it flow through your veins.

That's it.

Haters don't want rationalitiy. They want, no they need a target.

If every starter on the Bills made the ProBowl, they'd be hatin' the Gatorade boy.

obi wan
09-05-2005, 08:44 AM
That's it.

Haters don't want rationalitiy. They want, no they need a target.

If every starter on the Bills made the ProBowl, they'd be hatin' the Gatorade boy.
Thats not true at least in my case. I was Saviorbledsoe....no one made more exuses and stuck up for players on this team more than me BUT its simple math here...a kicker needs to make kicks and Lindel doesnt do that when the game is on the line or when its over 40 yards. I would take a broken down 50 year old Christie over a 20something Lindell any day.

Throne Logic
09-13-2005, 11:21 PM
Lindell is a far far cry from a guy like Akers who you send out there at the end with a shot to win the game anywhere inside the 40.

What have you to say about this now? Good ole reliable Akers dropped a couple of lovely turds on the outside of the tuning fork last night.

Every one of Lindell's kicks was right down the pike and would have been good from much longer distances.

Jayhawk
09-14-2005, 11:54 AM
You guys wonder why nobody likes this board, and everyother board bashes it, i'll prolly be banned soon like alota people, oh yeah Jayhawk says hi!
tell me when I did?