PDA

View Full Version : Bills only have three guards on roster

Nic82
09-04-2005, 10:19 PM
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/396076
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=6458

Steve Sciullo was cut by Philly yesterday. I am unsure about his health, but he is 25 years old and has started in 18 games in his first two years in the league. Started 13 games for Indy in 2003 and started 5 games for Philly in 2004.

TigerJ
09-05-2005, 12:03 AM
Buffalo opted to keep 7 WRs. That limits their options at other positions. They are only carrying three DEs too. Duke Preston can play some guard. I don't see them adding a guard at this point. Maybe when Parrish is healthy, one of the other WRs is cut and the Bills add someone else then.

Nic82
09-05-2005, 12:46 AM
Buffalo opted to keep 7 WRs. That limits their options at other positions. They are only carrying three DEs too. Duke Preston can play some guard. I don't see them adding a guard at this point. Maybe when Parrish is healthy, one of the other WRs is cut and the Bills add someone else then.The only limit we have is the salary cap. After that, our options are open. It's easy, if we like someone then we just cut someone else. We can start at WR because we have too many and only three are good. If Bennie or Chris get injured at guard we only have a 6th round rookie backing up both. From what I've heard Preston and Geisinger haven't even been remotely impressive. Are you comfortable with either one starting in the event one of our starting interior linemen get hurt?

This could happen to our offense if we don't add depth to our O-line :blowup:

Jan Reimers
09-05-2005, 04:52 AM
Actually, we are as short on tackles as we are on guards. Peters is our only true backup tackle, while Jerman is a tackle/guard, Preston a center/guard, and Geisinger a guard.

As I have said elsewhere, we probably won't keep 7 WRs for long. We need another backup O lineman and probably a 4th DE.

Tinboy
09-05-2005, 05:48 AM
I would gladly cut a WR for a G. We are going to run the ball alot this year and we need a good O-line.

YardRat
09-05-2005, 06:42 AM
I'm guessing there will be moves made before the middle of the week involving the O-line and the wide-outs.

eee1776
09-05-2005, 07:12 AM
I agree that we have not seen the final roaster yet. Why carry so many wide receivers with a power running game. Three OT's and 3 DE's does not make sense.

Jan Reimers
09-05-2005, 07:17 AM
I would gladly cut a WR for a G. We are going to run the ball alot this year and we need a good O-line.
I would rather have another tackle. Jerman, Preston and Geisinger can all play guard. Peters is our only true backup tackle.

Billsouth
09-05-2005, 07:28 AM
this is where the decision to carry dorenboss has significant implications.

don137
09-05-2005, 07:37 AM
Teague could play tackle as well and maybe that went into TD and MMs thinking...I see one of the wrs getting cut when Parrish comes back. The Bills must need more time to determine which three are better between: Aiken, Wilson, Reed & Smith. I could see Wilson or Smith getting cut and added to the practice squad.

DMBcrew36
09-05-2005, 08:13 AM
this is where the decision to carry dorenboss has significant implications.
Yes, but we need him, atleast this year. Preston isn't ready.

G. Host
09-05-2005, 08:51 AM
Actually, we are as short on tackles as we are on guards. Peters is our only true backup tackle, while Jerman is a tackle/guard, Preston a center/guard, and Geisinger a guard.

Peters is not a TRUE backup tackle. He is a wannabee Tackle whose only experience is a couple appearances in games and some training camp experience. He did not even play Tackle in college. Counting him for depth is like counting on a high school flunk out as backup on graduate entrance exams. JP ought to be prepared for a lot of bootlegs to right side if he come in.

Tinboy
09-05-2005, 09:46 AM
We need both a G and a T and right now I rather take Sciullo then wait around for a T.

TigerJ
09-05-2005, 12:08 PM
The only limit we have is the salary cap. After that, our options are open. It's easy, if we like someone then we just cut someone else. We can start at WR because we have too many and only three are good. If Bennie or Chris get injured at guard we only have a 6th round rookie backing up both. From what I've heard Preston and Geisinger haven't even been remotely impressive. Are you comfortable with either one starting in the event one of our starting interior linemen get hurt?

This could happen to our offense if we don't add depth to our O-line :blowup:
Buffalo, like all NFL teams have two limitations when it comes to rosters. One is the salary cap. The other is the 53 man roster limit. If they carry 7 WRs, they can't carry as many players at some other position(s). It's simple math. Personally, I would not carry 7 WRs. Josh Reed would have a one way ticket to Timbucktoo, or wherever, if I were calling the shots. I'm not. If you're saying what the Bills should do, I'm fine with that, as long as Sciullo is healthy. I'm just calling attention to the reality of the situation.

Nic82
09-05-2005, 02:09 PM
Buffalo, like all NFL teams have two limitations when it comes to rosters. One is the salary cap. The other is the 53 man roster limit. If they carry 7 WRs, they can't carry as many players at some other position(s). It's simple math. Personally, I would not carry 7 WRs. Josh Reed would have a one way ticket to Timbucktoo, or wherever, if I were calling the shots. I'm not. If you're saying what the Bills should do, I'm fine with that, as long as Sciullo is healthy. I'm just calling attention to the reality of the situation.

It's easy, if we like someone then we just cut someone else.

mysticsoto
09-06-2005, 09:11 AM
Peters is not a TRUE backup tackle. He is a wannabee Tackle whose only experience is a couple appearances in games and some training camp experience. He did not even play Tackle in college. Counting him for depth is like counting on a high school flunk out as backup on graduate entrance exams. JP ought to be prepared for a lot of bootlegs to right side if he come in.
This doesn't make any sense. Peters is not a TRUE backup tackle? Peters is a backup tackle b'cse if Gandy were to get injured, he would take over. Can he do the job? Forget about his past...Peters has improved a great deal since last season - just watch any/all of the preseason games to see that. He completely outclasses any 2nd string and lower DE, and while he's still working his way to be able to handle a top notch DE, if he were there already, he'd be starting - duh, hence the term backup tackle. Nevertheless, his improvement is obvious, and even McNally speaks highly of Peters saying he could become one of the greats given time!

If you want to slam a backup, slam Jerman or Geisinger. These are 2 losers that I can't believe we have kept. But Peters and Preston have been excellent backups up to now...