X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nic82
    • Jul 2005

Bills only have three guards on roster

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

Steve Sciullo was cut by Philly yesterday. I am unsure about his health, but he is 25 years old and has started in 18 games in his first two years in the league. Started 13 games for Indy in 2003 and started 5 games for Philly in 2004.
  • TigerJ
    • Jul 2002

Re: Bills only have three guards on roster

Buffalo opted to keep 7 WRs. That limits their options at other positions. They are only carrying three DEs too. Duke Preston can play some guard. I don't see them adding a guard at this point. Maybe when Parrish is healthy, one of the other WRs is cut and the Bills add someone else then.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Nic82
      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by TigerJ
      Buffalo opted to keep 7 WRs. That limits their options at other positions. They are only carrying three DEs too. Duke Preston can play some guard. I don't see them adding a guard at this point. Maybe when Parrish is healthy, one of the other WRs is cut and the Bills add someone else then.
      The only limit we have is the salary cap. After that, our options are open. It's easy, if we like someone then we just cut someone else. We can start at WR because we have too many and only three are good. If Bennie or Chris get injured at guard we only have a 6th round rookie backing up both. From what I've heard Preston and Geisinger haven't even been remotely impressive. Are you comfortable with either one starting in the event one of our starting interior linemen get hurt?

This could happen to our offense if we don't add depth to our O-line
      Last edited by Nic82; 09-05-2005, 01:52 AM.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

Actually, we are as short on tackles as we are on guards. Peters is our only true backup tackle, while Jerman is a tackle/guard, Preston a center/guard, and Geisinger a guard.

As I have said elsewhere, we probably won't keep 7 WRs for long. We need another backup O lineman and probably a 4th DE.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Tinboy
          • Aug 2004

I would gladly cut a WR for a G. We are going to run the ball alot this year and we need a good O-line.

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

I'm guessing there will be moves made before the middle of the week involving the O-line and the wide-outs.
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• eee1776
              • Jul 2005

I agree that we have not seen the final roaster yet. Why carry so many wide receivers with a power running game. Three OT's and 3 DE's does not make sense.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                • May 2003

Originally posted by Tinboy
                I would gladly cut a WR for a G. We are going to run the ball alot this year and we need a good O-line.
                I would rather have another tackle. Jerman, Preston and Geisinger can all play guard. Peters is our only true backup tackle.
                Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Billsouth
                  • Jul 2002

this is where the decision to carry dorenboss has significant implications.
                  "once a raider always a raider"

Comment

• don137
                    • Jul 2002

Teague could play tackle as well and maybe that went into TD and MMs thinking...I see one of the wrs getting cut when Parrish comes back. The Bills must need more time to determine which three are better between: Aiken, Wilson, Reed & Smith. I could see Wilson or Smith getting cut and added to the practice squad.

Comment

• DMBcrew36
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Billsouth
                      this is where the decision to carry dorenboss has significant implications.
                      Yes, but we need him, atleast this year. Preston isn't ready.

Comment

• G. Host
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                        Actually, we are as short on tackles as we are on guards. Peters is our only true backup tackle, while Jerman is a tackle/guard, Preston a center/guard, and Geisinger a guard.
                        Peters is not a TRUE backup tackle. He is a wannabee Tackle whose only experience is a couple appearances in games and some training camp experience. He did not even play Tackle in college. Counting him for depth is like counting on a high school flunk out as backup on graduate entrance exams. JP ought to be prepared for a lot of bootlegs to right side if he come in.

Comment

• Tinboy
                          • Aug 2004

We need both a G and a T and right now I rather take Sciullo then wait around for a T.

Comment

• TigerJ
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Nic82
                            The only limit we have is the salary cap. After that, our options are open. It's easy, if we like someone then we just cut someone else. We can start at WR because we have too many and only three are good. If Bennie or Chris get injured at guard we only have a 6th round rookie backing up both. From what I've heard Preston and Geisinger haven't even been remotely impressive. Are you comfortable with either one starting in the event one of our starting interior linemen get hurt?

This could happen to our offense if we don't add depth to our O-line
                            Buffalo, like all NFL teams have two limitations when it comes to rosters. One is the salary cap. The other is the 53 man roster limit. If they carry 7 WRs, they can't carry as many players at some other position(s). It's simple math. Personally, I would not carry 7 WRs. Josh Reed would have a one way ticket to Timbucktoo, or wherever, if I were calling the shots. I'm not. If you're saying what the Bills should do, I'm fine with that, as long as Sciullo is healthy. I'm just calling attention to the reality of the situation.
                            I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Nic82
                              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by TigerJ
                              Buffalo, like all NFL teams have two limitations when it comes to rosters. One is the salary cap. The other is the 53 man roster limit. If they carry 7 WRs, they can't carry as many players at some other position(s). It's simple math. Personally, I would not carry 7 WRs. Josh Reed would have a one way ticket to Timbucktoo, or wherever, if I were calling the shots. I'm not. If you're saying what the Bills should do, I'm fine with that, as long as Sciullo is healthy. I'm just calling attention to the reality of the situation.
                              It's easy, if we like someone then we just cut someone else.

Comment

Working...
                              X