PDA

View Full Version : Kicking Audition

Bulldog
09-06-2005, 07:34 AM
According to WGR, Buffalo brought in Todd France for a workout. Maybe there is hope after all. Lindell isn't getting the job done. I feel worse about him this year that I did last, and that's really saying something. I'll be interested to see if anything comes of this.

Michael82
09-06-2005, 07:35 AM
:clap:

obi wan
09-06-2005, 08:15 AM
thank god. PLEASE TD AND MM PLEASE

OpIv37
09-06-2005, 08:30 AM
I don't know who Todd France is, but chances are he's better than Lindell.

Jan Reimers
09-06-2005, 08:32 AM
I hope he's better than Lindell, too.

But remember the old addage: Be careful what you wish for.

casdhf
09-06-2005, 08:36 AM
yeah, who is Todd France?

Dozerdog
09-06-2005, 08:38 AM
I thought I'd never see the day when France brings aid and comfort to BillsZone members.

If he's better than Lindell - go for it.

Bulldog
09-06-2005, 08:39 AM
I don't know who Todd France is, but chances are he's better than Lindell.

He was cut by the Bucs. Here's a little write up I found on Yahoo :

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=rotowire-attryantegpasucsicke&prov=rotowire&type=lgns

Sounds like he was pretty good in preseason.

Novacane
09-06-2005, 08:40 AM
good to know they see a need for an upgrade. Don't know if France is that but at least they are looking

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
09-06-2005, 09:12 AM
Here's a picture I found of him I went to www.google.com and did a image search

obi wan
09-06-2005, 09:13 AM
Here's a picture I found of him
kinda looks like Steve Christie too.

ryjam282
09-06-2005, 09:34 AM
I doubt we sign him. I mean how often do you hear of a guy getting cut and coming in for a tryout and getting signed....OK, now tell me how many of them are kickers and how many of them actually get to play??....IMO, this is a kind of wakeup call to Lindell. TD loves him, I have no idea why but he does.

TigerJ
09-06-2005, 09:37 AM
Sure, give him a tryout. I'm not avers to finding an alternative to Lindell. I'm probably not as anti-Lindell as most people are though.

OpIv37
09-06-2005, 09:40 AM
I'm probably not as anti-Lindell as most people are though.

you will be when he costs us two games this season. The thing that scares me is that he puts so much pressure on the offense late in close games. Other teams only have to get to the 30 yard line to give their kickers a shot- we have to get to the 20 and even then it's no sure thing...

Jan Reimers
09-06-2005, 09:54 AM
you will be when he costs us two games this season. The thing that scares me is that he puts so much pressure on the offense late in close games. Other teams only have to get to the 30 yard line to give their kickers a shot- we have to get to the 20 and even then it's no sure thing...
Who's to say a virtual rookie like France won't cost us three games? Untested kickers are a real crapshoot.

Uncle Jesse
09-06-2005, 09:57 AM
Anythings better than Lindell, we should bring in that girl that kicked for Colorado in college, I'd feel better with her.

generalmills
09-06-2005, 09:58 AM
just to throw a name out there in the kicking world. Now I know I will probably get jumped on for saying this as everyone likes to pile on the CFL but in my eyes kicking a ball is kicking a ball no matter whether its done in turkey, japan or the US. There is a fantastic kicker here named Sandro Deangelis who plays for the Calgary Stamps. Here is a link to his stats which consist of a 84.0 kicking pct. and season long kick of 56 yards!!!

The stats can be seen at the following link (bottom left corner of the first page) NOTE: these are stats as of last week.

http://www.cfl.ca/CFLStatistics05/1_reg.pdf

what do you think???

OpIv37
09-06-2005, 09:59 AM
Who's to say a virtual rookie like France won't cost us three games? Untested kickers are a real crapshoot.

six on one hand, half dozen on the other- Lindell's a crapshoot too. He missed a FRIGGIN EXTRA POINT and a field goal against Chicago, the kick against Pittsburgh.... his distance is at least 10 yards short of where an NFL kicker should be, his kickoffs are short and he has absolutely 0 clutch ability.

Bulldog
09-06-2005, 10:01 AM

He's been perfect in the preseason on FG's and I would guess that he probably hasn't missed an extra point, which is more than we can say for Lindell. I don't think Buffalo just brought France in for the hell of it. Obviously the fans aren't the only ones who have some concerns. We'll see.

Jan Reimers
09-06-2005, 10:07 AM
I'm not averse to signing France, I just want to be sure he is an upgrade over Lindell. If France is on the field Sunday, I'll assume the coaching staff took a long, hard look at him, and determined that he is better than Lindell.

OpIv37
09-06-2005, 10:09 AM
I'm not averse to signing France, I just want to be sure he is an upgrade over Lindell. If France is on the field Sunday, I'll assume the coaching staff took a long, hard look at him, and determined that he is better than Lindell.

good point- I'm glad we passed on Doug Brien earlier in the year because IMO he's just as bad as Lindell and it have been a waste of mone.

osos
09-06-2005, 10:17 AM
what about steve christie ????

Is he still out there, it would be great to have him back
We was great .......

Jan Reimers
09-06-2005, 10:20 AM
It's a tough call with Lindell. I don't think he is as bad as some believe - he is certainly not Jake Ariens bad - but he is not one of the elite kickers, either. He is an established veteran who has made a few, and missed a few, under pressure, so you kind of know what you're getting.

To change to a totally unknown commodity so close to the beginning of the season is really risky. France will have to show that he is much better than Lindell in order for us to make the switch at this particular time.

Jan Reimers
09-06-2005, 10:21 AM
what about steve christie ????

Is he still out there, it would be great to have him back
We was great .......
The operative word is WAS.

Pride
09-06-2005, 10:42 AM
I just dont get it... there are millions of kickers out there... and only 10 of them are good enough to play in the NFL? I just dont think teams are looking hard enough to find them!

I would rather have a guy who can consistently hit from 40 yards out, than a guy who can hit MOST of them with the occasional 50 yarder.

I want consistency... that way... with 2 minutes left in a game, and being down by 2... we know EXACTLY how close we need to get for a chance!

deathadder
09-06-2005, 10:43 AM
six on one hand, half dozen on the other- Lindell's a crapshoot too. He missed a FRIGGIN EXTRA POINT and a field goal against Chicago, the kick against Pittsburgh.... his distance is at least 10 yards short of where an NFL kicker should be, his kickoffs are short and he has absolutely 0 clutch ability.

Dude, get it through your head!! Its Preseason and it was a botched snap!!! Duke Preston was snapping the ball for the Chicago game!

deathadder
09-06-2005, 10:50 AM
I will say this about Lindell. He is an AVERAGE kicker. He may not be able to kick field goals from long distance, but he is better than the trash that is out there now!

You guys keep saying bring Steve Christie. He is old and is a has been. If he is so good, why aren't other teams that are desperate for a kicker picking him up? Teams that are desperate are Dallas and the Bucs. The Bills will wait until next year to see if there are any replacements.

Atleast wait until the season starts to give any judgement on him. Just because he missed an extra point in Preseason, does not mean it is his fault. If you look at the play, Duke Preston was snapping the ball and it was bobbled. Also, if you look, he did make a 54 yarder in preseason.

Just wait til the season starts to pass any judgment on him. If he sucks during the season, then lets make a move for another kicker. As of right now, there is no one better to look at. We should be more worried about our offensive line than a stupid kicker position!

The last buffalo fan
09-06-2005, 10:51 AM
The one who wrote the article about France, says almost at the end something important I think, about the weather. So, the might not be good kicking in Buffalo, and Lindell has been there already. He should stay.

OpIv37
09-06-2005, 11:05 AM
Dude, get it through your head!! Its Preseason and it was a botched snap!!! Duke Preston was snapping the ball for the Chicago game!

Doesn't matter. Any idiot can kick the ball through the uprights on a perfect snap and hold. An NFL kicker should be able to make an adjustment- it was an XP, not a 50 yard FG attempt. This is the whole 0 clutch ability thing- the slightest thing goes wrong on the easiest play in football, and Lindell can't handle it.

But I guess it's easier for some people to use the "bad snap" excuse than to face the reality that our crappy kicker will cost us games.

Gunzlingr
09-06-2005, 11:10 AM
Here's a picture I found of himI can just hear our new fight song!

I see London, I see France....

Bulldog
09-06-2005, 11:13 AM
Just wait til the season starts to pass any judgment on him. If he sucks during the season, then lets make a move for another kicker. As of right now, there is no one better to look at. We should be more worried about our offensive line than a stupid kicker position!

We all saw him last year during the season and it wasn't all that great. And I really don't care what percent of his kicks he converted. Facts are that the coaching staff didn't trust him enough to attempt anything further than 40 Yds out. If Buffalo is going to employ the smash mouth running game/let the defense dictate the tempo approach, then they need a kicker that can consistantly hit from the 40-50 yard range. Using that approach, Buffalo will be in many close games this season. I know one thing, if the game is on the line and it comes down to a last second FG, I have no faith that Lindell can make that kick. I'm pretty sure that many others on here feel the same way.

deathadder
09-06-2005, 11:23 AM
We all saw him last year during the season and it wasn't all that great. And I really don't care what percent of his kicks he converted. Facts are that the coaching staff didn't trust him enough to attempt anything further than 40 Yds out. If Buffalo is going to employ the smash mouth running game/let the defense dictate the tempo approach, then they need a kicker that can consistantly hit from the 40-50 yard range. Using that approach, Buffalo will be in many close games this season. I know one thing, if the game is on the line and it comes down to a last second FG, I have no faith that Lindell can make that kick. I'm pretty sure that many others on here feel the same way.

As stated in another thread by Dozer, please tell me where you get the idea that the coaches do not trust him? Do you personally know Malarkey or any other members of the coaching staff? Just because they go for a punt on fourth in the jax game does not mean they do not trust him. I would have made that coaching decision any day. I would rather have the opponent pinned deep in their zone then try to attempt a 50 yard field goal. If Lindell misses it, Jax would get great field position. Like I said, Lindell is average. He will give you a good percentage, but may not be able to kick long field goals. Not everyone is as good as Elam or Akers. There is currently NO KICKEr on the market that is above average now! That is why I say wait until the season is finished and then we can grab a kicker in FA.

deathadder
09-06-2005, 11:26 AM
Doesn't matter. Any idiot can kick the ball through the uprights on a perfect snap and hold. An NFL kicker should be able to make an adjustment- it was an XP, not a 50 yard FG attempt. This is the whole 0 clutch ability thing- the slightest thing goes wrong on the easiest play in football, and Lindell can't handle it.

But I guess it's easier for some people to use the "bad snap" excuse than to face the reality that our crappy kicker will cost us games.

It is hard to kick a ball when it is in an awkward position. A kick is dependant on the whole team (the way the blockers block, the snap, the hold, and then the kick). It is not about the kicker. With your rationale, I would then say we release both Moorman and Preston./ Preston screwed the snap and then Moorman could not hold it perfect. LETS RELEASE BOTH PLAYERS BECAUSE OF THAT!

Jan Reimers
09-06-2005, 11:29 AM
Agreed. Lindell has never missed an extra point attempt in the regular season.

Bulldog
09-06-2005, 11:30 AM
As stated in another thread by Dozer, please tell me where you get the idea that the coaches do not trust him? Do you personally know Malarkey or any other members of the coaching staff? Just because they go for a punt on fourth in the jax game does not mean they do not trust him. I would have made that coaching decision any day. I would rather have the opponent pinned deep in their zone then try to attempt a 50 yard field goal. If Lindell misses it, Jax would get great field position. Like I said, Lindell is average. He will give you a good percentage, but may not be able to kick long field goals. Not everyone is as good as Elam or Akers. There is currently NO KICKEr on the market that is above average now! That is why I say wait until the season is finished and then we can grab a kicker in FA.

Yeah, when Buffalo has a chance to attempt a 40 something yard FG and they decide to punt, that tells me all I need to know. And I'm not expecting Buffalo to find a kicker in Elam's and Akers class, but I do want a kicker that can consistantly make FG's from 40-45 yards out. I don't think that's asking too much. Do you?

deathadder
09-06-2005, 11:38 AM
Yeah, when Buffalo has a chance to attempt a 40 something yard FG and they decide to punt, that tells me all I need to know. And I'm not expecting Buffalo to find a kicker in Elam's and Akers class, but I do want a kicker that can consistantly make FG's from 40-45 yards out. I don't think that's asking too much. Do you?

The bills did not have many opportunities for Lindell to kick from 40 to 45 yards last season. The field goals were more like 48 to 60 yards. If our offense was able to move the ball more, maybe we could have had the chance.

I agree with consistancy from 40 to 45 yards, but where can you find a kicker out in the market that has been tested to do that now? There is no one out there. France is a rookie. We do not know what will come from him. Looks what happens when we signed another rookie from before (Arians). He sucked. We all know what Elam and Akers can do. I would rather go into the season with Lindell, who is used to the weather here, and then wait until next season to pick up a FA kicker. This past offseason, the only kicker I would have thought of bringing in was Vinateri from NE (if he wasn't signed longterm this offseason). He is a proven kicker. I believe next year Vanderjact (spelling?) is a FA for the Colts. I wouldn't mind bringing him in for a tryout as long as he keeps his mouth shut.

jdenning
09-06-2005, 11:45 AM
J.P. Losman (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6781/) is not Drew Bledsoe (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/2359/).

Which is precisely why he will begin the season Sunday against the Texans as the Bills' starting quarterback.

Eight months ago, the Bills had just finished the 2004 season by winning eight of 10 games. Buffalo was a team many thought was poised to advance to the next level in 2005.

Then the Bills decided to release Bledsoe and promote Losman, who had thrown all of five passes a year ago. They chose a player who will make more mistakes and -- the Bills hope -- more plays.

<TABLE cellPadding=1 align=right border=0 hspace="10" vspace="5"><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>ADVERTISEMENT
<SCRIPT language=JavaScript>var lrec_target="_top";var lrec_URL=new Array();lrec_URL[1]="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12hiqo3bs/M=365836.7000533.7958512.1806201/D=sports/S=95861054:LREC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1126031946/A=2942381/R=0/id=flashurl/SIG=11uaq30ei/*http://www.pepsistreetmotion.com/?or=yhoo.6&trtmnt_id=100499";var lrec_flashfile="http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/pe/pepsi/082505_streetmotion2_300x250.swf?clickTAG=javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)";var lrec_altURL="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12hiqo3bs/M=365836.7000533.7958512.1806201/D=sports/S=95861054:LREC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1126031946/A=2942381/R=1/id=altimgurl/SIG=11uaq30ei/*http://www.pepsistreetmotion.com/?or=yhoo.6&trtmnt_id=100499";var lrec_altimg="http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/pe/pepsi/082505_streetmotion2_300X250.jpg";var lrec_width=300;var lrec_height=250;</SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-/jscodes/031016/ct_lrec_031016.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next plugin = ( IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.6")))</SCRIPT><OBJECT id=flash5clickTAG codeBase=http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0 height=250 width=300 classid=clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000>

<EMBED src="http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/pe/pepsi/082505_streetmotion2_300x250.swf?clickTAG=javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)" loop=false wmode=opaque quality=high swLiveConnect=FALSE WIDTH=300 HEIGHT=250 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></EMBED></OBJECT><NOSCRIPT>http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/pe/pepsi/082505_streetmotion2_300X250.jpg (http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12hiqo3bs/M=365836.7000533.7958512.1806201/D=sports/S=95861054:LREC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1126031946/A=2942381/R=2/id=noscript/SIG=11uaq30ei/*http://www.pepsistreetmotion.com/?or=yhoo.6&trtmnt_id=100499)</NOSCRIPT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>if (window.yzq_a == null) document.write("<scr\" + \"ipt type=text/javascript src=""http://us.js1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/lib/bc/bc_1.7.0.js></scr" + "ipt>");</SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>if (window.yzq_a){yzq_a('p', 'P=iSjgt86.I.YkDYwvQxPkBwWhRElfDEMdxioACp2_&T=13qod7djj%2fX%3d1126024746%2fE%3d95861054%2fR%3dsports%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d1.1%2fW%3d8%2fY%3dYAHOO%2fF%3d855117428%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3dDD23BECE');yzq_a('a', '&U=139pib88u%2fN%3dwvx8HthtfYc-%2fC%3d365836.7000533.7958512.1806201%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d2942381');}</SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT>http://bc.us.yahoo.com/b?P=iSjgt86.I.YkDYwvQxPkBwWhRElfDEMdxioACp2_&T=140u30qq2%2fX%3d1126024746%2fE%3d95861054%2fR%3dsports%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d2.1%2fW%3d8%2fY%3dYAHOO%2fF%3d1396061474%2fQ%3d-1%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3dDD23BECE&U=139pib88u%2fN%3dwvx8HthtfYc-%2fC%3d365836.7000533.7958512.1806201%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d2942381</NOSCRIPT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Look, many people -- including me -- thought the Bills reached a little to take Losman with the 22nd pick of the 2004 draft. Losman had been an inconsistent player at Tulane after transferring from UCLA. He had shown intriguing skills, but something was missing. Still, after Buffalo made that pick, it did the right thing by committing to Losman.

What the Bills did with Losman is gamble on potential. They reached for the Lombardi Trophy instead of a wild-card spot, which is probably the most they could have hoped for with Bledsoe at quarterback.

"We felt we knew we could get to a certain level the way things were, and it was not satisfactory," Bills coach Mike Mularkey says. "We want to go further than that level. Whether we can with J.P. or not, we're not sure, but we were sure about the other one. We feel like we can."

J.P. Losman is not Brett Favre (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/1025/).

Although at times this preseason, Losman was reminiscent of a young Favre. Before you and Bill Belichick break out in a cold sweat, this is not necessarily a good thing.

Throughout the preseason, Losman has been a wild bronco of a player, not quite ready to take the bit. He has shown a tendency to take off too quickly when pressured. He hasn't figured out when to throw the ball away -- that led to a 20-yard loss on a sack against the Bears. He has responded to mistakes with outward displays of disappointment, sending out bad vibes to teammates. His accuracy has been streaky, and he hasn't consistently put touch on his passes.

He may play like he thinks he's Tarzan, but there is a lot to like about Losman. He has a big-league arm. All of his frenetic scrambling has shown he has a special ability to avoid pressure, keep a play alive and create magic that Bledsoe couldn't imagine even with the help of hallucinogens.

Losman, it seems fair to say, either is going to be an outstanding NFL player or an abject bust. There will be no in between with this kid.

J.P. Losman is not Kordell Stewart.

But there are parallels between the abilities of Stewart and Losman. Stewart had his best season when Mularkey was his coordinator, in 2001.

Look for Mularkey to do for Losman some of the things that enabled Stewart to have success that year. The Bills will use mostly short drops. They won't throw downfield much. They'll simplify Losman's reads. They'll pare down the number of pass plays in each game plan to a manageable number, probably less than 50. And they won't discourage Losman from using his feet.

"One of J.P.'s options is to run," Mularkey says. Running isn't one of Losman's progressions on a typical play, but if the Red Sea opens, Losman is being coached to accept the invitation. Bills coaches also are incorporating designed runs into their game plans but will be cautious about using them until Losman demonstrates the judgment to know when to slide or step out of bounds.

J.P. Losman is not Ben Roethlisberger (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6770/).

Well, maybe he is in the Bills' wildest dreams.

During the offseason, Mularkey and Losman got together and watched eight of Roethlisberger's games on tape. The comparisons between what Losman does and what Roethlisberger did last season are particularly relevant because the Bills and Steelers run very similar offenses. Mularkey, who was the Steelers' coordinator before taking over in Buffalo last season, told Losman, "You're a first-year starter. This is how they came after him, how they tried to defend Ben. I want you to look through his eyes at what's coming."

If Losman does the things the Bills hope he can do, it will mean their coaches have supplemented and protected him as well as the Steelers did Roethlisberger.

"Their offensive staff did an excellent job of putting him in position to feel confident about his ability," Mularkey says. "As he got it, they progressed to the next baby step, something new, to see if he could handle it. It's a smart plan. It's what we're going to do." The plans may be carbon copies, but the players are not. Roethlisberger won 15 of 16 starts mostly by riding the wave of his teammates. For better or worse, Losman is much more likely to be the wave.

OpIv37
09-06-2005, 12:04 PM
It is hard to kick a ball when it is in an awkward position. A kick is dependant on the whole team (the way the blockers block, the snap, the hold, and then the kick). It is not about the kicker. With your rationale, I would then say we release both Moorman and Preston./ Preston screwed the snap and then Moorman could not hold it perfect. LETS RELEASE BOTH PLAYERS BECAUSE OF THAT!
Do Moorman and Preston have a history of blowing it like Lindell does? Didn't think so. I know it's hard to kick the ball in an awkward position, but that's why there's only 32 NFL kickers (give or take since a few teams keep 2). If he can't make the tough kicks, maybe he doesn't deserve to be one of the 32.

casdhf
09-06-2005, 12:11 PM
with RIan Lindell we know what we're getting. He will make 85% of his kicks inside 45 yards, anything outside of that is 50/50. I wouldnt give up those short FGs, just because a guy may be able to make 50 yarders 60% of the time. I don't like him much either, but we know what he can do and the ST coaching and play-calling adjusts.

OpIv37
09-06-2005, 12:18 PM
with RIan Lindell we know what we're getting. He will make 85% of his kicks inside 45 yards, anything outside of that is 50/50. I wouldnt give up those short FGs, just because a guy may be able to make 50 yarders 60% of the time. I don't like him much either, but we know what he can do and the ST coaching and play-calling adjusts.

the two real problems are:
1. We have to get ten yards closer to give him a shot than the Eagles, Patriots, Colts, etc. That puts a lot of pressure on an offense that's already not as good as the offenses of those teams.
2. The 15% that he misses are the IMPORTANT ones. Big deal- he makes kicks against Cleveland and San Francisco when we're winning by 24 points. He needs to be able to make the 37-yarder in no wind against Pittsburgh when we're hanging onto a precarious lead and the playoffs are on the line.

deathadder
09-06-2005, 12:41 PM
the two real problems are:
1. We have to get ten yards closer to give him a shot than the Eagles, Patriots, Colts, etc. That puts a lot of pressure on an offense that's already not as good as the offenses of those teams.
2. The 15% that he misses are the IMPORTANT ones. Big deal- he makes kicks against Cleveland and San Francisco when we're winning by 24 points. He needs to be able to make the 37-yarder in no wind against Pittsburgh when we're hanging onto a precarious lead and the playoffs are on the line.

Those teams you listed have elite kickers. Please tell me who is out there right now that can kick consistantly from 45 to 50 yards???

Earthquake Enyart
09-06-2005, 12:47 PM
Bring in a kickoff guy and cut one of the 7 WR's.

OpIv37
09-06-2005, 12:53 PM
Those teams you listed have elite kickers. Please tell me who is out there right now that can kick consistantly from 45 to 50 yards???
probably no one but-
1. that reflects lack of priorty at the kicker position over the last three years. I can't believe there hasn't been an opportunity to nab an "elite" kicker over that time period
2. There's probably other kickers out there who can consistently hit 40-45 with better clutch ability than Lindell.

deathadder
09-06-2005, 12:56 PM
probably no one but-
1. that reflects lack of priorty at the kicker position over the last three years. I can't believe there hasn't been an opportunity to nab an "elite" kicker over that time period
2. There's probably other kickers out there who can consistently hit 40-45 with better clutch ability than Lindell.

All the elite kickers get franchised. Vinateri was franchised, Elam was franchised. To franchise kickers, it does not cost much. Then they all sign long term deals. I guarantee that Akers, Vinarteri, and Elam all stay with the same club for years until they get old. We may have a shot at Vanderjacht, but he may cause problems in the locker room. That is one of the reasons why Indy wouldn't mind him leaving.

Uncle Jesse
09-06-2005, 01:12 PM
From Yahoo....Sep 4 Lindell has made just four of 12 field goals from 40 yards or longer in his two seasons with the club, and missed a 32-yarder in Buffalo's final preseason game.

Dr. Lecter
09-06-2005, 01:14 PM
:clap:
O, come on. You are a Lindell fan deep down in and you know it. :D

Bulldog
09-06-2005, 01:15 PM
From Yahoo....Sep 4 Lindell has made just four of 12 field goals from 40 yards or longer in his two seasons with the club, and missed a 32-yarder in Buffalo's final preseason game.

That's just great. :down: I would like to know the exact distances on those kicks.

Typ0
09-06-2005, 03:36 PM
I don't think it's news to anyone that I am not a Lindel lover...however this situation kind of disgusts me. It's too late to be looking at another kicker. The time to address this was before training camp...bring in one or two more guys and let them go at it as the team is getting their acts together. These guys need consistency as a unit to be successful...so I think it's stupid to be changing kickers now. And one place I can say about Lindel that does not worry me is I don't think he's going to have a complete melt down and be unable to make a kick like we see with some kickers. He's a veteran and seems to do well enough with moving on to the next kick...and that's a positive that I'm not sure we should mess with.

Another thing I wanted to address is this notion that we aren't in positions to let Lindell try his length. That's rediculous because it's so heavily correlated with the plays we are calling at the time. We just need to get closer for lindel than we should have to and end up going for first downs instead of settling for five yards at least and maybe getting a first down...and then we are desparate for that ten yards to keep a drive going on third and long and end up with an incomplete pass or a sack. Where most teams would be trying to make a first down but running a plan they are really confident to get five yards in that situation (you have an advantage because the defense is stacked against the first down marker) so they can try a kick we have to go for the ten yards or a punt. That is why we aren't in the situations you seem to be longing for to prove the coaches have confidence in Lindel to kick a 45 yarder...

OpIv37
09-06-2005, 04:35 PM
Another thing I wanted to address is this notion that we aren't in positions to let Lindell try his length. That's rediculous because it's so heavily correlated with the plays we are calling at the time. We just need to get closer for lindel than we should have to and end up going for first downs instead of settling for five yards at least and maybe getting a first down...and then we are desparate for that ten yards to keep a drive going on third and long and end up with an incomplete pass or a sack. Where most teams would be trying to make a first down but running a plan they are really confident to get five yards in that situation (you have an advantage because the defense is stacked against the first down marker) so they can try a kick we have to go for the ten yards or a punt. That is why we aren't in the situations you seem to be longing for to prove the coaches have confidence in Lindel to kick a 45 yarder...

you're preaching to the choir- I've said the exact same thing before but 1 Bills Drive apparently disagrees.

Night Train
09-06-2005, 05:00 PM
There is a fantastic kicker here named Sandro Deangelis who plays for the Calgary Stamps. Here is a link to his stats which consist of a 84.0 kicking pct. and season long kick of 56 yards!!!

The stats can be seen at the following link (bottom left corner of the first page) NOTE: these are stats as of last week.

http://www.cfl.ca/CFLStatistics05/1_reg.pdf

what do you think???
His High School was St. Joe's. He hails from Buffalo.

Typ0
09-06-2005, 05:51 PM
you're preaching to the choir- I've said the exact same thing before but 1 Bills Drive apparently disagrees.

why because they said so? What are they supposed to say they know Lindell sucks ass but that's what we have? think about it.

capitolneal
09-06-2005, 06:27 PM
I'd rather wake up tommorow with a blister the size of a golf on my ass than have lindell kick for us... This guy sux and is there some sort of huge cap hit? he is NOT a Buffalo Kicker... bring in france or who ever this guy is terrible and that is a huge part of the game

capitolneal
09-06-2005, 06:30 PM
I don't think it's news to anyone that I am not a Lindel lover...however this situation kind of disgusts me. It's too late to be looking at another kicker. The time to address this was before training camp...bring in one or two more guys and let them go at it as the team is getting their acts together. These guys need consistency as a unit to be successful...so I think it's stupid to be changing kickers now. And one place I can say about Lindel that does not worry me is I don't think he's going to have a complete melt down and be unable to make a kick like we see with some kickers. He's a veteran and seems to do well enough with moving on to the next kick...and that's a positive that I'm not sure we should mess with.

Isn't better to say hey this guy is better but was in some elses camp? than have a worthless piece of crap kicking... there is not 10 people here that doesn't hold their breath EVERYTIME he kicks HE SUX RUN HIM OUT