X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

The status of Losman

After watching a few Pre-season games (NFL network) of the Bills, I feel the next big step for Losman is to gain some confidence. Even he said himself that he was hesistant in some throws, especially downfield.

I agree with Mularkay and Donahoe that the Detroit game is the best so far by Losman. Compared to his early games, it looked like he's getting better with the NFL speed - the linemen who rush him and the safeties who close on receivers. But I do sense his hesitance in that he should've rid of the ball a couple of times where for some reason he opted to hold on or went the alternative routes. Perhaps he's not sure of the coverage and afraid of making a mistake?

One thing I was impressed about him, and surprisingly no one has mentioned a lot about it, is his quick release. When he decides to get rid of the ball, it gets out of his right hand in a hurry. I remember Jack Hamm once compared Dan Marino's release to a WR running a 4.1. I don't think Losman's is Marino's release but is certainly the best I've seen in today's QBs.

The Texans' game will be a huge one, one might very well determine Bills season. Other than the obvious reason of one more game on the win column, I think it is very, very important to Losman. From his behavior like hanging his head after an imcompleted pass, I can only guess that start-off on the right foot plays a huge role in his development. Again it does not matter how he does in this game statistic wise; the all important word is a win. Even if Losman throws 3 INTs and the Bills come out with a W, it would help Losman's psyche a great deal.

I watched the Miami-Florida State game last night and I can't help thinking Kyle Wright's night might be Losman's afternoon next Sunday. Wright started the game real shaky as a first time starter but got better and comfortable as the night went on. I'm convinced that Mularkay really doesn't have to do anything fancy with Losman, just stick with run and some safe play calls, and be patient when things do not go our way early on offense, we should have a great chance to celebrate by 4pm.
  • Pride
    • Jul 2002

Re: The status of Losman

Comment

• ryjam282
      Offical Billszone Starting QB
      • Mar 2003

I agree 100%, great post. But, let's make sure we get a different outcome then Wright did.

Ryan Withey
      Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh
        I agree with Mularkay and Donahoe that the Detroit game is the best so far by Losman.
        I agree especially when he had to throw from our endzone and got a first down.
        sacrifice1
        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• The last buffalo fan
          I told the pet store guy "How else am I supposed to get the mouse out of my ass?"
          • Sep 2004

After watching a few Pre-season games (NFL network) of the Bills, I feel the next big step for Losman is to gain some confidence. Even he said himself that he was hesistant in some throws, especially downfield.

I agree with Mularkay and Donahoe that the Detroit game is the best so far by Losman. Compared to his early games, it looked like he's getting better with the NFL speed - the linemen who rush him and the safeties who close on receivers. But I do sense his hesitance in that he should've rid of the ball a couple of times where for some reason he opted to hold on or went the alternative routes. Perhaps he's not sure of the coverage and afraid of making a mistake?

One thing I was impressed about him, and surprisingly no one has mentioned a lot about it, is his quick release. When he decides to get rid of the ball, it gets out of his right hand in a hurry. I remember Jack Hamm once compared Dan Marino's release to a WR running a 4.1. I don't think Losman's is Marino's release but is certainly the best I've seen in today's QBs.

The Texans' game will be a huge one, one might very well determine Bills season. Other than the obvious reason of one more game on the win column, I think it is very, very important to Losman. From his behavior like hanging his head after an imcompleted pass, I can only guess that start-off on the right foot plays a huge role in his development. Again it does not matter how he does in this game statistic wise; the all important word is a win. Even if Losman throws 3 INTs and the Bills come out with a W, it would help Losman's psyche a great deal.

I watched the Miami-Florida State game last night and I can't help thinking Kyle Wright's night might be Losman's afternoon next Sunday. Wright started the game real shaky as a first time starter but got better and comfortable as the night went on. I'm convinced that Mularkay really doesn't have to do anything fancy with Losman, just stick with run and some safe play calls, and be patient when things do not go our way early on offense, we should have a great chance to celebrate by 4pm.
          I really like to read your posts, because your knowledge on football matters is huge. Good post.
          The Mexican & too!!

- Adriano & Emiliano, the next Villa & Zapata. Viva Mexico, cabrones!!! -

Comment

• Typ0
            honey pie
            • Jul 2002

I agree with your assessment of his release and have stated that before myself. I don't, however, agree with being Dilfer like with him...we have to unleash the kid to make the plays he's able to make. No, we don't want bad decisions...but telling him to be ultra conservative is not something that's going to build his confidence which is the subject of your post. He needs to enjoy success at the things he's able to do and with that he'll gain confidence and become the weapon he should be.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
              Maybe?
              • Oct 2003

Actually I mentioned this awhile back when someone posted a link to some video of him at Tulane (the videos were for his receiver....can't remember who). Anyway, I timed his drop back-to-release times and they were all on the short side of 2.x secs. (A few hit 3 sec) As for his actual release motion, it was something like .5 sec. So I totally agree he is Marino "like", and that is the best way imo to avoid a sack (just think about how many times Marino was able to get rid of that damn ball a millisecond before Bruce smashed him. That was SO frustrating)

Now, what makes JP unique is you add that release to his legs (which Marino never had) and he should almost never get sacked. Of course it will take time to get the mental part down, but he has the abilities without question.

Comment

• Tinboy
                • Aug 2004

I think the most important thing for Losman is that he connects with all of he receivers. So that he feels that no matter what there always somebody he can throw the ball to. A win on sunday is crucial for the whole team and even if Losman has a bad day he feels that everybody is doing there best to help him.

There will be at least two times on Sunday when it all falls to JP to make the throw to keep the drive alive, let's hope he's mentally prepared to make does throws.

Comment

• superbills
                  • Mar 2003

Funny thing is, a friend and I were watching the game and thinking the same thing. I certainly hope that Willis can get some runs off like Moss did in that game. If our running game looks that good, we should be golden.
                  "The government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."
                  Ronald Reagan
                  40th president of US (1911 - 2004)

Comment

Working...
                  X