View Full Version : CNN reports...

Gunzlingr
09-06-2005, 10:50 PM
New Orleans Superdome to be torn down.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/06/katrina.impact/index.html

Discuss.

Tatonka
09-06-2005, 10:56 PM
i saw the inside of that place on oprah today.. it was awful.. they had to wear masks just to go in.. there was **** and piss everywhere.. there were still dead bodies inside and trash everywhere.. everything was destroyed on the inside, not to mention on the outside from the hurricane..

sad really.. i was welled up the whole show.. there was one guy that refused to leave because they wouldnt let him take his dog that he had had since he was 10.. he was 24 now.. the show producers saved his dog and him and got them out of there..

they were talking about how gangs were waiting in bathrooms and raping people when they came in.. then killing them.. that place must have been like being in hell for a week.

i dont blame them for tearing it down..

Gunzlingr
09-07-2005, 07:51 AM
Is it the final nail in the Saints coffin? Will they ever return to New Orleans?

OpIv37
09-07-2005, 08:11 AM
they're done.... they'll be in San Antonio or LA next year. Here's the most likely scenario- they "temporarily" move the games to San Antonio, but two years from now NO still doesn't have their **** together and there's no place for them to play, so they end up making a permanent home in SA.

The King
09-07-2005, 08:14 AM
Its sad I think after all this, they should remain in New Orleans give the people something to look foward too. But the reality is they were going to be gone anyways and it seems to me the superdome noe represents nothing positive. I think a clean slate is the way to go.

Jan Reimers
09-07-2005, 08:20 AM
The owner wanted a new stadium, anyway. Katrina just paved the way. I think from a civic pride standpoint, as well as the effect on the local economy, the Saints should find a way to build a new stadium and stay in New Orleans.

But if the owner wants it done strictly with public financing, that probably won't happen.

The King
09-07-2005, 08:21 AM
Here is a video of Tatonka was talking about

http://www2.oprah.com/tows/pastshows/200509/tows_past_20050906.jhtml

X-Era
09-07-2005, 08:27 AM
I actually have a different take. I think this ASSURES the Saints to stay in NO. Think about this, the US and parts of the WORLD have their hearts and wallets open to NO right now. Anyone doubt that they could raise the money to completely rebuild the stadium if need be? I really dont doubt it at all. I bet that the Saints play this year somewhere else and maybe part of next but that in a few months the money is there and they start tearing down and rebuilding the Superdome. They probably even make it into some sort of a memorial to the tragedy.

Now, if your the Saints and you now have a brand new dome, and a whole city and country full of fans who have a whole new reason to watch and care about the Saints, you up and leave? I just dont see that.

There is a whole new reason for the Saints to stay now, and the money to make it happen will pour in to the point where it will flood the officials wallets!

Tatonka
09-07-2005, 08:44 AM
Here is a video of Tatonka was talking about

http://www2.oprah.com/tows/pastshows/200509/tows_past_20050906.jhtml

yeah.. it is down at the bottom of the page.. called "Hell on Earth".

Kerr
09-07-2005, 09:07 AM
they were talking about how gangs were waiting in bathrooms and raping people when they came in.. then killing them.. that place must have been like being in hell for a week.

That's repulsive. Those gang bangers should rot in there when the building collapses.

Michael82
09-07-2005, 09:28 AM
I actually have a different take. I think this ASSURES the Saints to stay in NO. Think about this, the US and parts of the WORLD have their hearts and wallets open to NO right now. Anyone doubt that they could raise the money to completely rebuild the stadium if need be? I really dont doubt it at all. I bet that the Saints play this year somewhere else and maybe part of next but that in a few months the money is there and they start tearing down and rebuilding the Superdome. They probably even make it into some sort of a memorial to the tragedy.

Now, if your the Saints and you now have a brand new dome, and a whole city and country full of fans who have a whole new reason to watch and care about the Saints, you up and leave? I just dont see that.

There is a whole new reason for the Saints to stay now, and the money to make it happen will pour in to the point where it will flood the officials wallets!
You have any idea how much money it would cost to build another stadium? You have any idea how long it would take until they would be able to start playing in a new stadium? too long. This is the final nail in the Saints coffin, IMO. They are gone.

PromoTheRobot
09-07-2005, 09:35 AM
Tourism and hosting major events is New Orleans' life blood. I would be shocked if they DON'T build a new stadium. Even if the Saints leave, New Orleans (assuming they can rebuild the city) will still host Super Bowls and Sugar Bowls. Those events mean big bucks to the area.

PTR

Jan Reimers
09-07-2005, 09:47 AM
Tourism and hosting major events is New Orleans' life blood. I would be shocked if they DON'T build a new stadium. Even if the Saints leave, New Orleans (assuming they can rebuild the city) will still host Super Bowls and Sugar Bowls. Those events mean big bucks to the area.

PTR
Right again, PTR.

TigerJ
09-07-2005, 12:48 PM
At least one major news source I heard, I thinki it was CBS, said some spokesperson denied it would be torn down and that it is structurally sound. It will be cleaned up and repaired. Stay tuned.

BTW, I think in any case the Saints are OUTTATHERE!

LtBillsFan66
09-07-2005, 01:04 PM
i saw the inside of that place on oprah today.. it was awful.. they had to wear masks just to go in.. there was **** and piss everywhere.. there were still dead bodies inside and trash everywhere.. everything was destroyed on the inside, not to mention on the outside from the hurricane..

sad really.. i was welled up the whole show.. there was one guy that refused to leave because they wouldnt let him take his dog that he had had since he was 10.. he was 24 now.. the show producers saved his dog and him and got them out of there..

Bush's fault.

OpIv37
09-07-2005, 01:17 PM
At least one major news source I heard, I thinki it was CBS, said some spokesperson denied it would be torn down and that it is structurally sound. It will be cleaned up and repaired. Stay tuned.

BTW, I think in any case the Saints are OUTTATHERE!

I think that building should be destroyed- it's nothing but a testament to the worst aspects of human nature. Even if they keep the team, I want to see that building leveled.

Jan Reimers
09-07-2005, 03:53 PM
I think that building should be destroyed- it's nothing but a testament to the worst aspects of human nature. Even if they keep the team, I want to see that building leveled.
Buildings don't kill people. People kill people. :peace:

Bill Brasky
09-07-2005, 04:11 PM
Is it the final nail in the Saints coffin? Will they ever return to New Orleans?
they're done.... they'll be in San Antonio or LA next year. Here's the most likely scenario- they "temporarily" move the games to San Antonio, but two years from now NO still doesn't have their **** together and there's no place for them to play, so they end up making a permanent home in SA.
Glad to see I have supporters!

I had a thread about them moving a few days ago and many people said I was wrong and that they'd return to N.O.

It's not even a possibility. That city won't even have an economy for years, maybe decades... and they def won't have the ability to support a major sports franchise, esp if they want to rebuild the city.

Mitchy moo
09-07-2005, 04:25 PM
Could the armed guards there have prevented the rapes and killings or were they too busy watching the doors for guns, drugs and knives that killed the people in the bathrooms?

Tatonka
09-07-2005, 04:50 PM
Could the armed guards there have prevented the rapes and killings or were they too busy watching the doors for guns, drugs and knives that killed the people in the bathrooms?

the armed guards were there guarding an empty building.. at least that is what the video showed.. i still cant figure out what they were doing there.. and then of course oprah had the whole national reserve show up to protect her.. from what? the building was vacant from what it looked like..

i really didnt get that.

you can bet when that place was full, those armed guards werent any where near there.. they barely had any law of any kind when all that went on.. that is why it happened.

Bill Brasky
09-07-2005, 04:57 PM
the armed guards were there guarding an empty building.. at least that is what the video showed.. i still cant figure out what they were doing there.. and then of course oprah had the whole national reserve show up to protect her.. from what? the building was vacant from what it looked like..

i really didnt get that.

you can bet when that place was full, those armed guards werent any where near there.. they barely had any law of any kind when all that went on.. that is why it happened.
"Stop hating Bush" - AWM

Philagape
09-07-2005, 07:48 PM
N.O. is no longer an NFL city. They'll lose at least 25% of their population, 400,000 jobs, and tourism will never be the same. Maybe years from now they can start to think about building a new stadium, but right now it can't possibly be justified when its residents are just struggling to survive.
The Superdome is a cavern of death. Playing football there again would be like raising and restoring the Titanic.

im4bflo
09-07-2005, 08:07 PM

i really didnt get that.

Those guards weren't even there, until the worst was already over.

Dozerdog
09-07-2005, 09:48 PM
Yet another "Unnamed source speaking on anonymity"

The Louisiana Superdome was so heavily damaged during Hurricane Katrina and its aftermath that it likely will have to be torn down, a disaster official working with the governor's office told CNN.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the initial assessment of the famed dome indicated the damage is "more significant than initially thought."

Katrina sheared away much of the roof's covering, and rainwater began leaking into the stadium when it was being used as a shelter of last resort for thousands of residents stranded by the storm.

I highly doubt the Superdome will be torn down. This story already has more holes in it then the Levys surrounding the city.

1) An "Un-named city official speaking on condition of anonymity"- Translation- someone at city hall's opinion.

2) Do you really think that other than a quick inspection to insure it doesn't collapse into a heap- that engineers have had the time and resources to fully inspect the building on the viability that it is still useful? If they are spending their time doing that - then what a waste of time when those folks should be more worried and focused on more important things.

It just doesan't make sense.

3) It's got a hole in the roof, and it has water and sewage damage. Otherwise, it's a steel and concrete structure. I'm not an engineer, but I don't think the damage is crippling.

4) Even without the Saints, the Superdome makes way too much money with other events. It will play a vital role in the tourist resurection of the City. Tearing it down would be counter-productive.

5) If they tore it down, it would cost $500-$700 million to replace. It's one thing to debate a new stadium with teacher layoffs in the city- but with people living in tents- no way they do it. However- insurance should cover refurbishing the facility.

6) I don't think people will stay away from it because of one bleak week. If the Bills were to play in New Orleans for the Super Bowl, how many here wouldn't go because the stadium would give you the creeps? People still visit Ground Zero in NYC, the Alamo, and the USS Arizona even though many peole died horribly in each location.

Unless the place really is going to fall in on itself (and I can't see how they can determine that) the place could be turned into a memorial and a symbol of rebirth.

Philagape
09-08-2005, 08:46 AM
People still visit Ground Zero in NYC, the Alamo, and the USS Arizona even though many peole died horribly in each location.

To pay their solemn respects, not to watch a football game.

I think it would be tremendous disrespect to go there and -- while tens of thousands of people are still suffering in the city -- pay over $100 to party and be entertained in a building where the poorest among us rotted in hell, where people were raped and murdered, where people jumped off the upper deck. As long as it exists, the Superdome will be a symbol of shame.

A football stadium makes money only if the community and its economy can support it.