PDA

View Full Version : How long of a leash does JP have?

Earthquake Enyart
09-07-2005, 07:30 AM
Face it. If JP plays like he did against Chicago or Detroit, we aren't going to win many games. If he stinks up the first game will he be pulled? First two? Four games?

How many bad games until we see Holcomb?

The King
09-07-2005, 07:34 AM
I think 3 weeks, but his performance would have to be dismal, with no signs of upside which I dont think will happen.

Earthquake Enyart
09-07-2005, 07:35 AM
You see the Detroit game? He was awful.

The King
09-07-2005, 07:43 AM
I caught the re-run, he has wicked happy feet. He looks great on the slant passes but he needs to have a quick release, 3 steps and throw. The longer he lally gags in the pocket the less options he has down field. I dont think his pre-season woes are anything more than a young guy getting used to the speed of the NFL.

justasportsfan
09-07-2005, 07:44 AM
You see the Detroit game? He was awful.What I saw in that game ..... other that INT , he was making excellent throws under pressure compared to his 1st preseason game.

ryjam282
09-07-2005, 07:58 AM
I agree, that game was by far his best of the preseason. He made a bad throw to Aiken, who possibly could have run the wrong route based on where JP threw the ball. But, he was firing the ball all over the field and had some bad drops by his WR's but I think he did a lot better in that game.

Jan Reimers
09-07-2005, 08:00 AM
If JP stinks it up but we are winning - with the run, special teams and/or defense - he should continue to play. If we lose a few games early, but he is progressing, he should continue to play.

Only if he stinks it up, and we're losing directly because of his poor play, should he be benched. I would give it 4 games.

X-Era
09-07-2005, 08:20 AM
Face it. If JP plays like he did against Chicago or Detroit, we aren't going to win many games. If he stinks up the first game will he be pulled? First two? Four games?

No matter how JP plays and no matter what our record is, you wont see Holcomb start this year or at least half of next year.

Mularkey has already said it would only be under the most extreme circumstances that JP gets benched. He simply has too much talent to stink it up that bad. So, Mularkey feels that if he only plays like he did against Det or Chi he still is our starter and wont be benched.

Im sorry but to me this makes sense. If Manning had not lost 13 games in his first year and got benched, it is VERY likely he would not be who he is today.

To me a QB MUST learn some things on the field, JP has had his time watching and learning the system. The only way he gets better now is with real live gametime experience. And, if we bench him it not only stops his learning it may actually hurt him in the future by giving him doubts in his abilities. Confidence is sometimes something that can never be repaired when damaged.

Therefore, its critical that JP gets his starts and playing time no matter what. His talent should propel him into the upper part fo the league as QB's go once he has exerience behind him.

I understand everyones impatience, I want to win right now, this year too. But, the Bills have made their decision. They feel JP is their SB QB and they have a clear plan on playing him to make our SB QB a reality.

I personally think we will be just fine but Im also ready to weather the storm if we arent. I think we need to be tough minded and go into this year hoping for the best and expecting the worst with our eyes open to the possibility that JP will play really bad in year 1 but he simply wont be benched. Furthermore, we should probably keep telling ourselves that JP could be a star with enough experience, I now KNOW that is what the Bills brass thinks!

ddaryl
09-07-2005, 08:31 AM

JP had the Bills up 12-3 against Chicago, and he played a solid game against Detroit. Take away the penalties and dropped passes and nobody would be suggesting Holcomb start at any time.

JP will have his up and downs, but unless he becomes a turnover machine or he is injured we won't see Holcomb start a game this year.

The Spaz
09-07-2005, 08:33 AM

The question should be did you watch the game?!

The Spaz
09-07-2005, 08:34 AM
What I saw in that game ..... other that INT , he was making excellent throws under pressure compared to his 1st preseason game.

Exactly how I saw it.:up::beers:

Tatonka
09-07-2005, 08:47 AM

i saw it.. he was not awful.. he had one bad throw for an int.. the second throw was on aiken just as much.. he hit him in the numbers.. aiken didnt shield the db from getting in there and tipping it... josh reed also dropped a ball that hit him dead in the hands..

that is 11/17 - 64%... that is horrible?

i will tell you how long his leash is.. longer than this season is.

Kerr
09-07-2005, 09:09 AM
If JP stinks it up but we are winning - with the run, special teams and/or defense - he should continue to play. If we lose a few games early, but he is progressing, he should continue to play.

Only if he stinks it up, and we're losing directly because of his poor play, should he be benched. I would give it 4 games.
That's about right.

Earthquake Enyart
09-07-2005, 09:20 AM
What was the score at the half?

Detroit 7 on a JP pick ran back all the way.

Bills 0.

The rest of this team is primed for a playoff run. Too bad we'll have to wait until next year for JP.

I know what I see. And what I see is lousy. You JP lovers are just as bad as the Ostrich Club was last year.

jamze132
09-07-2005, 09:25 AM
I don't think JP Losman has a leash. He will start every game this year barring injury. How will he get any better if he doesn't play? Remember this Drew Brees guy out in San Diego? He sucked balls for a while and one day, something clicked in his brain and he figured it all out. Lets give JP the benefit of the doubt. He will make mistakes and cost the Bills some games, but I really don't care as long as he shows improvement throughout the season. Besides, if he starts all 16 games this year, everyone will be happier come next year because of his experience. It would only hinder his development to not play him this year.

And just in case he does have a leash, I am quite sure it is a long one. Bledsoe never got yanked from the starting position in 3 years and how many games did he cost the Bills?

Tatonka
09-07-2005, 09:45 AM

Bills 0.

The rest of this team is primed for a playoff run. Too bad we'll have to wait until next year for JP.

I know what I see. And what I see is lousy. You JP lovers are just as bad as the Ostrich Club was last year.

go root for Orton then. :rolleyes:

justasportsfan
09-07-2005, 10:25 AM

Bills 0.

I know what I see. And what I see is lousy. You JP lovers are just as bad as the Ostrich Club was last year.the fact that he was throwing to AIKEN means the bills didn't really have their first team in there. Both Aiken and JP were there to get experience. not to win the ballgame.

gr8slayer
09-07-2005, 10:50 AM
He has till week nine.

Ickybaluky
09-07-2005, 11:18 AM
I'd say he has about half a season to show improvement. He doesn't have to look like Brett Favre or anything, but he does have to show he is getting better and not making the same mistakes. If not, they will have to go to the veteran.

The Bills committed to Losman early in the offseason and annointed him the man. Why do that if you are only going to give him a few games to prove himself? He deserves a legitimate shot. Also, if they pull him after only a few games it will destroy his confidence and make him play tighter when he gets another shot.

BTW, While it is true the throw to Aiken was tipped and J.P. can be relieved of some blame, I wouldn't say he only had one bad throw (the int). The throw he had that hit Earl Holmes in the chest wasn't a good throw either. Just because Holmes dropped the ball doesn't make it a good decision.

Earthquake Enyart
09-07-2005, 11:20 AM
go root for Orton then. :rolleyes:
Orton at least looks like he has a clue.

JP doesn't.

It would not surprise me in the least if Orton has better numbers than JP.

Tatonka
09-07-2005, 11:48 AM

JP doesn't.

yeah.. just like aiken wont make the team.. :rolleyes:

Earthquake Enyart
09-07-2005, 12:07 PM
I'll take that 20 catch bet again. Aiken won't catch 20 passes.

Marvelous
09-07-2005, 12:57 PM
Kinda selfish Earthquake to take away fans hope. We all see JP struggle with reads but he's our QB. You just demand playoffs. I want playoffs too, but i'll sacrifice that for a 8-8 season and a QB of the future.. Shame on you for being negative right before kickoff....

Tatonka
09-07-2005, 04:40 PM
I'll take that 20 catch bet again. Aiken won't catch 20 passes.

aiken is the 4th or 5th wr when parrish gets back.. why would i make that bet?

you said he wouldnt make the roster.. again this year.. you were wrong twice in a row.

simply pointing out that your not the know all of talent evaluation while you sit there and say jp played horrid, when in fact he didnt.. according to alot of fans and according to the coach and gm who both commented on him playing well, with a few mistakes.

BillsFever21
09-07-2005, 04:56 PM
The sky is falling.

finsrclowns
09-07-2005, 05:48 PM
It's actually an interesting question. Normally you'd say 1st year starter, cut him lots of slack, he needs to learn, blah blah blah. But this team was a play or two from being in the playoffs last year AND both TD and Mularkey insisted that the move to JP was a move forward so....I don't think it is an endless leash, particularly if the team is losing. Management knows they can't start off like last year and have any serious playoff hopes.

My take? If after 5 games the team doesn't have at least 2 wins JP gets pulled and/or if after 8 games they don't have at least 3 wins he sits. Just MO but I think TD knows HIS leash won't survive another "rebuilding" year with the majority of fans.

ublinkwescore
09-07-2005, 05:49 PM
I'd give it three games in a row - and he'd have to stink it up early in the season to get pulled.

colin
09-07-2005, 09:09 PM
they are going to judge him on the plays they expect him to make and the plays he needs to make.

third and very long (which has been killing us in the pre season) DO NOT EXPECT A BOMB FOR A FIRST. the only time that ever happened for this team is in 02 with drew on form and all those weapons.

he will be our QB as long as he doesn't kill us with turnovers, as long as we don't go 3 and out all the time, and as long as we show some ability to get TDs instead of FGs in the red zone.

bledsoe, who is RIGHT NOW a better passer and QB than holcomb couldn't do those three things on our team in our system. holcomb SHOULD be an upgrade on drew becasue you can't just blitz him and win, and in our system JP SHOULD be an upgrade on holcomb because that goes doubly for JP.

if the O can average 4 more points a game (making one redzone TD instead of FG a game) and not turn the ball over more or in worse positions (and we were not exactly good at that last year) then we have more than 9 or 10 wins in us this year. if we had those 4 more points a game last year we would have won 12+.

Tatonka
09-07-2005, 09:29 PM
excellent post.

Earthquake Enyart
09-08-2005, 06:15 AM
aiken is the 4th or 5th wr when parrish gets back.. why would i make that bet?

you said he wouldnt make the roster.. again this year.. you were wrong twice in a row.

simply pointing out that your not the know all of talent evaluation while you sit there and say jp played horrid, when in fact he didnt.. according to alot of fans and according to the coach and gm who both commented on him playing well, with a few mistakes.
What do you think they are they going to say?

Look, let's say JP looks like he did the last 2 preseason games. You say good, I say stink. Doesn't matter. Say they lose to the Texans, and JP has a pick returned for a TD. Say they lose to TB. Say they lose the first 4. How far are you going to go with JP when you have a decent QB on the sidelines?

Meathead
09-08-2005, 07:51 AM
Pass that **** around EE! And stop bogarting.

munchies
09-08-2005, 02:00 PM

we need to pull him now, screw waiting for him to blow games! holcomb is much better and can win games. losman is at least 2 years away from starting:rage:

Tatonka
09-11-2005, 02:05 PM

JP doesn't.

:shakeno: