• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earthquake Enyart
    Legendary Zoner
    • Jul 2002

How long of a leash does JP have?

Face it. If JP plays like he did against Chicago or Detroit, we aren't going to win many games. If he stinks up the first game will he be pulled? First two? Four games?

How many bad games until we see Holcomb?
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Re: How long of a leash does JP have?

I think 3 weeks, but his performance would have to be dismal, with no signs of upside which I dont think will happen.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
      Legendary Zoner
      • Jul 2002

You see the Detroit game? He was awful.

Comment

• The King
        Without me it's just Awe so
        • Jun 2004

I caught the re-run, he has wicked happy feet. He looks great on the slant passes but he needs to have a quick release, 3 steps and throw. The longer he lally gags in the pocket the less options he has down field. I dont think his pre-season woes are anything more than a young guy getting used to the speed of the NFL.
        I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
        "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
        You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
        It was all
        true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
        He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
        mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• justasportsfan
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
          What I saw in that game ..... other that INT , he was making excellent throws under pressure compared to his 1st preseason game.
          sacrifice1
          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• ryjam282
            Offical Billszone Starting QB
            • Mar 2003

I agree, that game was by far his best of the preseason. He made a bad throw to Aiken, who possibly could have run the wrong route based on where JP threw the ball. But, he was firing the ball all over the field and had some bad drops by his WR's but I think he did a lot better in that game.

Ryan Withey
            Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• Jan Reimers
              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
              • May 2003

If JP stinks it up but we are winning - with the run, special teams and/or defense - he should continue to play. If we lose a few games early, but he is progressing, he should continue to play.

Only if he stinks it up, and we're losing directly because of his poor play, should he be benched. I would give it 4 games.
              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• X-Era
                What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                • Feb 2005

Face it. If JP plays like he did against Chicago or Detroit, we aren't going to win many games. If he stinks up the first game will he be pulled? First two? Four games?

No matter how JP plays and no matter what our record is, you wont see Holcomb start this year or at least half of next year.

Mularkey has already said it would only be under the most extreme circumstances that JP gets benched. He simply has too much talent to stink it up that bad. So, Mularkey feels that if he only plays like he did against Det or Chi he still is our starter and wont be benched.

Im sorry but to me this makes sense. If Manning had not lost 13 games in his first year and got benched, it is VERY likely he would not be who he is today.

To me a QB MUST learn some things on the field, JP has had his time watching and learning the system. The only way he gets better now is with real live gametime experience. And, if we bench him it not only stops his learning it may actually hurt him in the future by giving him doubts in his abilities. Confidence is sometimes something that can never be repaired when damaged.

Therefore, its critical that JP gets his starts and playing time no matter what. His talent should propel him into the upper part fo the league as QB's go once he has exerience behind him.

I understand everyones impatience, I want to win right now, this year too. But, the Bills have made their decision. They feel JP is their SB QB and they have a clear plan on playing him to make our SB QB a reality.

I personally think we will be just fine but Im also ready to weather the storm if we arent. I think we need to be tough minded and go into this year hoping for the best and expecting the worst with our eyes open to the possibility that JP will play really bad in year 1 but he simply wont be benched. Furthermore, we should probably keep telling ourselves that JP could be a star with enough experience, I now KNOW that is what the Bills brass thinks!

Comment

• ddaryl
                  Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                  • Jan 2005

JP had the Bills up 12-3 against Chicago, and he played a solid game against Detroit. Take away the penalties and dropped passes and nobody would be suggesting Holcomb start at any time.

JP will have his up and downs, but unless he becomes a turnover machine or he is injured we won't see Holcomb start a game this year.

Comment

• The Spaz
                    • Mar 2003

The question should be did you watch the game?!

Comment

• The Spaz
                      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                      What I saw in that game ..... other that INT , he was making excellent throws under pressure compared to his 1st preseason game.
                      Exactly how I saw it.

Comment

• Tatonka
                        • Jul 2002

i saw it.. he was not awful.. he had one bad throw for an int.. the second throw was on aiken just as much.. he hit him in the numbers.. aiken didnt shield the db from getting in there and tipping it... josh reed also dropped a ball that hit him dead in the hands..

that is 11/17 - 64%... that is horrible?

i will tell you how long his leash is.. longer than this season is.
                        "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Kerr
                          Hall of Fame Zoner
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                          If JP stinks it up but we are winning - with the run, special teams and/or defense - he should continue to play. If we lose a few games early, but he is progressing, he should continue to play.

Only if he stinks it up, and we're losing directly because of his poor play, should he be benched. I would give it 4 games.
                          That's about right.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Jul 2002

What was the score at the half?

Detroit 7 on a JP pick ran back all the way.

Bills 0.

The rest of this team is primed for a playoff run. Too bad we'll have to wait until next year for JP.

I know what I see. And what I see is lousy. You JP lovers are just as bad as the Ostrich Club was last year.

Comment

• jamze132
                              • Jun 2003

I don't think JP Losman has a leash. He will start every game this year barring injury. How will he get any better if he doesn't play? Remember this Drew Brees guy out in San Diego? He sucked balls for a while and one day, something clicked in his brain and he figured it all out. Lets give JP the benefit of the doubt. He will make mistakes and cost the Bills some games, but I really don't care as long as he shows improvement throughout the season. Besides, if he starts all 16 games this year, everyone will be happier come next year because of his experience. It would only hinder his development to not play him this year.

And just in case he does have a leash, I am quite sure it is a long one. Bledsoe never got yanked from the starting position in 3 years and how many games did he cost the Bills?

Comment

Working...
                              X