PDA

View Full Version : The biggest secret around OBD!

X-Era
09-07-2005, 02:05 PM
Ya know, something occured to me the other night. I saw another post questioning the LT spot the other day and started thinking about why we havent made more of an effort to fix that problem. After all, players like Verba, a proven LT are out there. Surely a team that has been annually one of the league leaders in sacks given up would want to bolster its LT spot after losing one of its best T in Jennings and starting a virtual rookie at QB? Well in the eternal words of Lee Corso, "not so fast".

The Bills remained silent in FA through the first few weeks even while other teams were taking part in the feeding frenzy and landing the top FA available. Then the Bills emerged from there hole to feed on the scraps long after the other teams had vanished. They grabbed Mike Gandy who is by no means a sure thing starting stud at T. He was injured, benched, and overall reported to be unimpressive for Chicago. So, why did we grab him?

Hmmm, the Bills arguably will have one of the best scrambling QB's in the NFL with Losman. But, was that enough to justify grabbing a big question mark at LT like Gandy? It wouldnt seem so. And then it occured to me, the mighty morphin power mouse, McNally mentioned recently that Jason Peters was the best LT prospect that he has ever seen. Could it be that the Bills want to continue to groom Peters to be their future LT?

I think if you add it all up, Peters might just be our long term answer, at least in the Bills mind. Gandy is a young, uproven vet. Losman is a scarmbling QB. We have not drafted or signed any real prospect at LT yet lost Jennings. Some might say big Mike was headed over to the left but why in the ehck wouldnt this have been the year? TD has already stated that Mike isnt moving. So, could it be that the Bills hope to get a few years of decent play at a modest price out of Gandy and then will send him to the bench or packing when Peters is ready to play?

I think it is VERY likely that Peters is our future LT. Im pretty sure I like the prospects of that! I watched him closely in the preseason, the guy has feet like I have never seen from a big man. He certainly has the size and strength. I think this could be a major league coup as an undrafted player who not only cracks the starting LT spot at somepoint but turns out to be one of the leagues best.

What say you?

Pride
09-07-2005, 02:10 PM
Honestly... I just think the bills are being short sighted....

I really dont think they see a problem...

But to argue that while Jennings was here our line was better is a joke... our line was bad the last 5 years... and I think it is still bad. I just hope it doesnt LOOK bad with JP running around and avoiding sacks.

OpIv37
09-07-2005, 02:10 PM
sounds like wishful thinking in the sense that it would be putting waaayy too much stock into an undrafted FA who played a different position in college.

ddaryl
09-07-2005, 02:17 PM
sounds like wishful thinking in the sense that it would be putting waaayy too much stock into an undrafted FA who played a different position in college.
Not at all. Peters has been progressing very nicely and IMO he could be starting in week 1 accept for the fact that Gandy has done real well and has more experience. Heck Mularkey, and McNally have both praised Peter's this preseason more then once.

I expect Peter's to get quite a bit of playing time on the O this year. he'll be more then ready by mid season.

X-Era
09-07-2005, 02:18 PM
I just watched the GB preseason game again. If you have it pay attention to the late 2nd quarter. Thats #71 absolutely owning #94. Thats Jason Peters against KGB!

Say what you will but the guy flat out is impressive!

OpIv37
09-07-2005, 02:19 PM
Not at all. Peters has been progressing very nicely and IMO he could be starting in week 1 accept for the fact that Gandy has done real well and has more experience. Heck Mularkey, and McNally have both praised Peter's this preseason more then once.

I expect Peter's to get quite a bit of playing time on the O this year. he'll be more then ready by mid season.

did peters play against any starting defenses in preseason? I didn't see him but I may have missed it.

I just think it would be premature to evaluate him without seeing him against top-tier competition. Hopefully we'll blow a few teams out and he can come in at the end of games for some experience.

Captain Obvious
09-07-2005, 02:21 PM
Ya know, something occured to me the other night. I saw another post questioning the LT spot the other day and started thinking about why we havent made more of an effort to fix that problem. After all, players like Verba, a proven LT are out there. Surely a team that has been annually one of the league leaders in sacks given up would want to bolster its LT spot after losing one of its best T in Jennings and starting a virtual rookie at QB? Well in the eternal words of Lee Corso, "not so fast".

The Bills remained silent in FA through the first few weeks even while other teams were taking part in the feeding frenzy and landing the top FA available. Then the Bills emerged from there hole to feed on the scraps long after the other teams had vanished. They grabbed Mike Gandy who is by no means a sure thing starting stud at T. He was injured, benched, and overall reported to be unimpressive for Chicago. So, why did we grab him?

Hmmm, the Bills arguably will have one of the best scrambling QB's in the NFL with Losman. But, was that enough to justify grabbing a big question mark at LT like Gandy? It wouldnt seem so. And then it occured to me, the mighty morphin power mouse, McNally mentioned recently that Jason Peters was the best LT prospect that he has ever seen. Could it be that the Bills want to continue to groom Peters to be their future LT?

I think if you add it all up, Peters might just be our long term answer, at least in the Bills mind. Gandy is a young, uproven vet. Losman is a scarmbling QB. We have not drafted or signed any real prospect at LT yet lost Jennings. Some might say big Mike was headed over to the left but why in the ehck wouldnt this have been the year? TD has already stated that Mike isnt moving. So, could it be that the Bills hope to get a few years of decent play at a modest price out of Gandy and then will send him to the bench or packing when Peters is ready to play?

I think it is VERY likely that Peters is our future LT. Im pretty sure I like the prospects of that! I watched him closely in the preseason, the guy has feet like I have never seen from a big man. He certainly has the size and strength. I think this could be a major league coup as an undrafted player who not only cracks the starting LT spot at somepoint but turns out to be one of the leagues best.

What say you?
If Jason Peter is as good a LT prospect that Jim McNally has ever seen, shouldn't he be starting by next year? Or 2007 at the latest. Can't see him backing up Gandy for a few years, unless he just doesn't pan out to be starting material.

X-Era
09-07-2005, 02:32 PM
I agree and I bet if Gandy struggles, Peters will be starting! I actually think he may be starting before the year is out.

X-Era
09-07-2005, 02:32 PM
Didnt you read my response? In the 2nd quarter, Peters was against the starting D for GB. Specifically matched up on KGB. He did fantastic!

ddaryl
09-07-2005, 02:53 PM
did peters play against any starting defenses in preseason? I didn't see him but I may have missed it.

I just think it would be premature to evaluate him without seeing him against top-tier competition. Hopefully we'll blow a few teams out and he can come in at the end of games for some experience.
Peters defintiely was in with the 1st string at a few different times. Gandy played LT the most, but Peters defintiely received reps with the starting OL.

Peters will more then definitely get playing time this year. I would also expect Peters to come in and play T elidgible from the TE spot on short yardage plays . I know Peters reported as T elidgible during the Bears game.

I would love to see Peters line up next to Gandy , and Anderson. that's alot of beef on the left side

mysticsoto
09-07-2005, 02:57 PM
Peters is progressing nicely, no doubt, but right now...does it matter? Gandy is playing extremely well. I'm more worried about Mike Williams. He didn't show much of anything in the preseason despite supposedly losing so much weight and being "in the best shape he's ever been in"...if he doesn't start showing something soon, we are going to have to cut him. How can we keep paying LT type money for a RT that is barely producing? In that case, Gandy might move to RT and Jason Peters to left.

I'm not saying we should do this right now or even this year - so those of you knee-jerk type people, calm down...all I'm saying is...if MW doesn't produce at the level that he is getting paid, it makes sense to cut him and replace him with a more economical alternative. Clump, what type of cap hit would we take?

Either way, we should still draft a stud Tackle in next year's draft!

X-Era
09-07-2005, 03:39 PM
Thats where we differ in opinion.

TD has already stated that he wont pay for two top dollar T's. I agree, if Peters continues to progress no need to start all over with some newby draftee.

Save our draft picks for more playmakers, or on the ineterior of the o-line. The T spot seems pretty set.

Im more worried about having to spend a top pick on yet another CB. That would suck (if Clements leaves), but thats often the way it is in FA.

Anyways, I could easily see us drafting yet another WR early because we wont pay Moulds as much money as he gets for much longer. He may just retire soon.

The last buffalo fan
09-07-2005, 03:50 PM

What say you?

I don't know Mr. jp-era, but did you ever sell real state, time share?? If not, you should. I'm not sure, but same as you, I want to billieve!!!

X-Era
09-07-2005, 05:07 PM
Its no sure thing by any means. I guess Im just looking at it like, the lack of moves, the lack of high picks spent, the big hype by McNally all add up to mean that the Bills are seeing very good things from Peters.

Nic82
09-07-2005, 05:15 PM

TD has already stated that he wont pay for two top dollar T's. I agree, if Peters continues to progress no need to start all over with some newby draftee.

Save our draft picks for more playmakers, or on the ineterior of the o-line. The T spot seems pretty set.

Im more worried about having to spend a top pick on yet another CB. That would suck (if Clements leaves), but thats often the way it is in FA.

Anyways, I could easily see us drafting yet another WR early because we wont pay Moulds as much money as he gets for much longer. He may just retire soon.
At worst, we will have a mid 1st rounder in 2006, which means we will not have to pay a Tackle top dollar. Middle 1st rounders are reasonably priced.
Mike Williams is overpaid because he was picked 4th overall.

X-Era
09-07-2005, 05:38 PM
I understand your point. But, it was TD who said he didnt want to draft another 1st round T and pay the money.

BuffaloRanger
09-07-2005, 05:44 PM
At least the Bills have great depth on Oline! HAHA. I hope a starter doesn't get hurt. Oops, already happened.

WHo will take the fall this year when the line gets dominated in big games?

RedEyE
09-07-2005, 07:29 PM
The Falcons did pretty well last year without WRs or an OL. They pretty much used their rushing game and depended on special teams play to get them into the playoffs.

I see the Bills in a similar situation with a few exceptions:

1) The Bills have a great receiving squad this year.

2) JP, while very athletic, is not the same athelete as Vick. JP won't even grab half the yards on the ground that Vick did last year, and I really don't think I want him to. However, McGahee is the monster back Atlanta never had.

3) The Bills have a much better Defense than Atlanta could ever hope to have.

4) The AFC is a much more difficult conference to bull your way through. The NFC was disappointing last season even into the Super Bowl.

What does all this mean? Well, in my fair assessment, we have a team that can compare to the 2004 Falcons. The Bills will erupt this season and establish a foundation to build on....for a future Super Bowl. I know, I know...anything can happen, but realisticly I forsee the Bills possibly breaking their way into a AFC Wild Card game in 2005... and I could be satisfied with that. This is a young team that is going to need time before firing on all cylinders.

SyraBillsLican
09-07-2005, 07:43 PM
yeah, i think so too

good post by me

mysticsoto
09-07-2005, 08:02 PM

You may have misunderstood me. I didn't intend to say that we should draft a 1st round Tackle again next year. With all the tackles available next year, we can get a very decent one in a lower round - maybe even a project with good upside since we have 2 good tackles in Gandy and Peters. Personally, I hope MW pans out, but I am worried that he might only live to be a mediocre Tackle. If that's the case, I think we should cut him next year. We cannot afford to pay top dollar for a mediocre Tackle. If we had that money, Clements might have been signed already for our future...

Tatonka
09-07-2005, 10:13 PM
i think they really like gandy at LT and he worked out so far like they hoped he would.. and i dont think they have any plans to get rid of a dirt cheap LT that is playing well unless he screws up.