PDA

View Full Version : How Capers beat Mularkay in 2002?

ghz in pittsburgh
09-08-2005, 07:49 AM
The Steelers were a power house then, came off Kordell's best year in his career (2001), barely missed going to the superbowl (damn that new guy Brady and old Bledsoe). Mularkay made his name by resurrecting another failed QB Tommy Maddox and the Steelers went on to have a 11-5-1 year.

But one of those losses was to Dom Capers' Texans in Pittsburgh, 24 - 6.

It was not just another loss, like every team had and will have.

The Texans had a total of 3 first down the whole game, a net of 37 yard rushing, a net of 10 yard passing for a total of 47 offensive yards, the whole game. They also commited 3 fumbles.

If you don't believe the stats, go to nfl.com, gamecenter, and check out the recap.

So how the hell did the Steelers lost that game? Actually it looked like they were blown out by the Texans from the score sheet. They had over 120 yard rushing and near 300 yard passing.

Turnovers. 3 fumbles and 2 INTs. All 3 touchdowns by Texans were scored by defense.

The Texans put the ball up in the air a total of 10 times, completing 3. The Steelers put the ball up 58 times, completing 31, 2 intercepted for TD the other way.

Mularkay was the offensive coordinator and Clements was the QB coach.

For those of you believing that the best route to victory this Sunday is for Losman to air it out, think again.

Dom Caper has a history of winning ugly games, including the last two season openners. To me, he won those games because his opponents were stupid. Capers offense was putrid, so he had them hunk down and waited for the opponent to make mistakes. Mularkay took the baited on that December afternoon in 2002.

If we play conservative, limit our mistakes on offense, it might be very ugly to watch - worse than the Bears preseason game, but I see the Texans have no chance of winning at Ralph.

The King
09-08-2005, 07:59 AM
I like the Texans a lot. I think they are a talented team, and are building towards a bright future. But I dont think Mularkey is stupid. You run to open up the pass against a team like Houston, you dont get too fancy, you just play smash mouth.

Houston is deffenlly a team that can steal a win from you an hopefully Mularkey has learned that from experience. Losman will probably throw about 25 times a majority of that will be in the flats and to Campbell.

Mularkey prepares well for games and he is obviously excited about having "his" QB out there. He will simply use Losmans abilities to capitalize on Houstons weakness, Losman will be rolling out on almost every play. Make the DL chase him around and create opportunities for Willis. The only way we lose this game is if we beat ourselves.

FreddyvsJason
09-08-2005, 08:20 AM
So, you're saying player error lost them the game!

mysticsoto
09-08-2005, 08:22 AM
Capers does appear ready to try and confuse JP and make him make mistakes. I guess now we get to see if all the homework he did pays off. Will they confuse him or will he execute the play as was drawn despite what Houston shows him?

I have a feeling that Houston's defense is still not going to be thoroughly set and that they will make a mistake here and there. I just hope JP is fast enough to act instead of trying to react.

Tinboy
09-08-2005, 08:25 AM
I don't think we will be passning a lot in the first game, it will fall on Willis, the O-line and def to win the game. I think Mularkey has learned from this game and will not make the same misstake twice.