• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 4thAndLong
    I'm Really 4 and Short
    • Sep 2002

Why draft a QB?

Bledsoe has 5 more years left as it seems right now....If we draft a guy he'll wait in the wings 5 years, and we're paying a huge rookie salary for him to sit on the bench.
  • TigerJ
    • Jul 2002

Good question. Did someone actually suggest that we do?
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• LABillsFan
      • Aug 2002

It was brought up on another thread. ....Stinking it up...
      I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't repeat myself.

Comment

• kgun12
        • Jul 2002

I don't think we draft a QB, but I wouldn't mind upgrading our #2, AVP is OK, but if Drew were to go down for any length of time we could be hurting. AVP doesn't have the arm for our vertical attack!
        Retired Air Traffic Controller
        USAF VETERAN
        DAV

Comment

• The_Philster
          • Jul 2002

We shouldn't have to stretch the field all the time though. Alex can get it downfield when he needs to but short passes and runs (i.e. ball control offense)are what win championships most of the time.
          The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Cntrygal
            Visually stunning but camera-shy.
            • Jul 2002

yeah... I seem to remember in the first patsie game where Brady threw almost nothing but underneath.... and we couldn't catch on.
            The gained first down after first down.... :madfire:
            Originally posted by notacon
            The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

• kgun12
              • Jul 2002

You guys are right you don't need a vertical passng game, but I remember last year how teams shut our passing game down with AVP starting and after the San Fran game. They new we couldn't go deep and just played Zone and took away all the passing lanes.
              Retired Air Traffic Controller
              USAF VETERAN
              DAV

Comment

• 4thAndLong
                I'm Really 4 and Short
                • Sep 2002

If we draft a QB, what do we do with Travis Brown. Wasn't he suppose to be our QB of the future before Bledsoe came?

Comment

• mybills
                  81 st zoner
                  • Jul 2002

If I remember right, the same people who think Drew is so great are the same people who can't stand AVP. Not to mention, they're also the same people who call anyone who says anything negative about Drew, "Brown Lovers". Maybe that's why it was brought up?

As for the original question, if only there were quality QB's out there to chose from, by the time our pick came around, since someone already mentioned what happens if Drew gets hurt
                  and since the Drew lovers feel that way about AVP & Brown,...well, I think you get the picture.
                  I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• 4thAndLong
                    I'm Really 4 and Short
                    • Sep 2002

AVP is a good back-up....But not a starter. He is one of the better back-ups in the league and if Drew goes down we're still in good shape as far as the QB is concerned.

Comment

• mybills
                      81 st zoner
                      • Jul 2002

Yes, AVP is a good back up, I never said he wasn't.
                      I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• mybills
                        81 st zoner
                        • Jul 2002

On the other hand....if Drew is so great, and AVP is just a back up, then let's say more people see Drew for what he really is (or isn't) as a QB, and it's a neg view and also 3 years later...
                        Do we bring in a new QB then and hope AVP is still here? Or do we pick up some young talent to be groomed sooner?

I guess it depends on;
                        1) ones opinion of today's Drew...
                        2) what pick the Bills get/in what round...
                        3) what's out there to chose from at the time...
                        4) will AVP still be back up....
                        5) if not, more ?'s right there...
                        6) what's our cap..

Those are just some of the things I'm thinking about...

Comment

• The_Philster
                          • Jul 2002

We need to at least start bringing in possible successors at QB. Have the young guy, once he's chosen, take most of the #2 snaps (AVP can still be the #2 in games...he's smart enough to do the job with fewer reps).
                          The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Wys Guy
                            Drew and Sam stole all my hair
                            • Jul 2002

Re: Why draft a QB?

Originally posted by 4thAndLong
                            Bledsoe has 5 more years left as it seems right now....If we draft a guy he'll wait in the wings 5 years, and we're paying a huge rookie salary for him to sit on the bench.
                            5 years, eh?

I think that at the rate Drew takes sacks, as he enters his 30s he'll be lucky to finish most seasons. The guy's a statue w/ cement shoes on top of it. He's as bad as Mark Rypien was.

Also, we have two years left before we either need to sign his extension outright or renegotiate the deal which will be tough given it's longetivity. I don't think he'll be our QB after '04 and I'll be surprised if he isn't taking quite a bit more heat from the fans beginning at some point thru next season.

He's an average QB who has built a reputation on yardage, attempts, and completions, not scores/TDs, points, or wins.

Many teams find a diamond in the rough or simply a QB drafted in rounds 2-5 that simply seems to work out well. All we need is a QB who can throw short-medium but who has the arm strength to go downfield when necessary to keep the D honest and use the strength of Moulds to get open downfield. Drew can go deep, but as a short passer, he leaves much to be desired. Some of his worst INTs are on the short passes.

I would still like to see what Brown can do. He may be strictly a third stringer. But we'll never know until he plays. In the meantime, heck, if we can find another QB who can throw short better than Drew and who still has the ability to deliver the deep ball, why wouldn't we want to try him? Suggesting "absolutely not" only implies blind loyalty to Drew. It's not the Bledsoe Bills, it's the Buffalo Bills although after this season that line is becoming grayer.
                            Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Bert102176
                              • Aug 2002

hey I say if Chris Simms or Eli Manning are there in the 3rd or 4th rounds we take one of them if Manning comes out this yearlike has been talked about on espn insider.
                              lets go BUFFALO lets go BUFFALO

Comment

Working...
                              X