X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike13
    • Aug 2005

Biggest draft busts?

For the Fins they are Jamar Fletcher (now a back up in San diego) and John Avery. Who the **** is John Avery you ask? Well we took him in the 99 or the 98 draft which ever onein which Randy Moss was drafted, well we could have had Moss you see and a Moss - Marino tandem would be unstoppable. JJ's resonse for not picking him? "He doesnt fit our system''. Bull****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He could fit in any system especially w/ Dan the Man. BTW John Avery is probably working for UPS now.

Ryan Leaf has to be the biggest bust overall.
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

Re: Biggest draft busts?

tony mandarich was a bigger bust than leaf.. imho.
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• TigerJ
      • Jul 2002

Perry Tuttle

I thought John Avery was playing in the CFL and doing OK.

Yup, I just checked. John Avery is now playing for the Toronto Argonauts.

Last edited by TigerJ; 09-10-2005, 12:10 AM.
      I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• vicmantak
        • Jun 2005

It's really interesting that one former Buffalo Bill is considered in this list...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3542822
        Mandarich, Leaf among draft's biggest busts

Elliott Kalb / Special to FOXSports.com

It's so hard limiting this list to just 10 players. After all, when Jerry Rice was selected 16th overall in the 1985 draft, you could say that the 15 teams ahead of the 49ers that year tied for the biggest mistake of all time.

There are mistakes, though — and then there are mistakes. In 1957, after the Packers chose Paul Hornung with the first overall pick, the Rams chose running back Jon Arnett. John Brodie, Len Dawson, and Jim Brown followed the selection of Arnett.

Do the '57 Rams get hit with one of the biggest mistakes in draft history? Not in my opinion. Arnett was not Jim Brown, but he made the Pro Bowl in each of his first five seasons.

The Eagles wanted an offensive lineman with the third pick in the 1973 draft. They chose a University of Texas tackle named Jerry Sisemore. They passed up Alabama guard John Hannah and Michigan State guard Joe DeLamielleure. It was a mistake, but Sisemore played 12 seasons with the Eagles and went to a pair of Pro Bowls.

Here are the players that set organizations back the most:

1. Tony Mandarich, second overall pick, 1989

I'm sure it seemed like a good idea at the time, but the Packers had their choice of Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas, Deion Sanders, and Mandarich. Even Jose Canseco would have steered clear of Mandarich.

2. Todd Blackledge, seventh overall pick, 1983

The famed "Class of 1983" consisted of six quarterbacks taken in the first round. John Elway was the first pick in the draft. When the Chiefs picked at number seven, they had their choice between Blackledge, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Tony Eason, and Ken O'Brien. They picked Blackledge. He threw a total of 26 touchdown passes for the Chiefs. Marino threw 420 for the Dolphins. Even if there were questions surrounding Marino, they should have taken Jim Kelly. If they were flummoxed about which quarterback, they should have taken Bruce Matthews, a sensational college and NFL lineman.

3. Blair Thomas, second overall pick, 1990

Blackledge was from Penn State, as was Blair Thomas. Note to self: This is not the university to find skill position players. After the Indianapolis Colts picked Jeff George, the Jets were on the board. They might have taken linebacker Junior Seau. They might have taken defensive tackle Cortez Kennedy. They might have taken offensive tackle Richmond Webb. They wanted a running back. Let's see who was available. There was Blair Thomas, and then there was some kid named Emmitt. Nahhhh. Oh, for the record, Thomas had a career season in 1991, when he rushed for 728 yards.

4. Ryan Leaf, second overall pick, 1998

What a waste of talent! Not that the third overall pick in this draft (Andre Wadsworth) or the fifth (Curtis Enis) did anything in the NFL, but Leaf was a complete bust. The Chargers, Cardinals, or Bears could have had Randy Moss. Although Moss was considered a character risk, he would go on to win the Rookie of the Year award. Leaf, on the other hand, is well known as one of the worst picks of all time.

5. Andre Ware, 10th overall pick, 1990

At the University of Houston in 1989, Andre Ware threw 46 touchdown passes in 11 games. The Lions selected him, and gave him a $1 million signing bonus. He threw exactly five touchdown passes in four years in the NFL. He would play in Canada, without much success there, either.

6. Tim Couch, first overall pick, 1999

The first three picks in the NFL draft were quarterbacks. The new Cleveland Browns wanted a quarterback to last a long time. Couch broke down just when his warranty expired. The Eagles had the second pick in the draft, and made an unpopular choice for their fans. They selected Donovan McNabb over running back Ricky Williams. The selections of Couch and McNabb are the primary reasons for Cleveland's lack of success — and Philadelphia's winning ways.

7. Heath Shuler, third overall pick, 1994

It wasn't a great draft, but Shuler was the only one of the top four players picked that really flopped. Dan Wilkinson has had an 11-year career, including more than 50 sacks. Marshall Faulk has had a brilliant career at running back. After the Redskins chose Shuler, the Patriots picked Willie McGinest. The Skins had Shuler, but not for long. Washington gave him a real opportunity. Heath ended his career with 15 touchdown passes and 33 interceptions. They impeached him midway through his term.

8. Ricky Bell, first overall pick, 1977

The Bucs' coach was John McKay, and he wanted a back from "Tailgate U" who ran "Student Body Right." Ricky Bell had one good season in the NFL. In 1979, he ran for over 1,200 yards. McKay passed up Tony Dorsett, who had about 10 of those seasons.

9. Walt Patulski, first overall pick, 1972

Patulski was a defensive end from Notre Dame selected by the Buffalo Bills. The Bills had a great running back named Simpson, so they passed on Penn State running back Franco Harris. The Bills could have taken a great athlete from Oregon named Bobby Moore. You might know Moore better by the name he took soon after college: Ahmad Rashad. Patulski played five uneventful seasons.

10. Kelly Stouffer, sixth overall pick of the 1987 draft

He was selected by the St. Louis Cardinals, but played his brief and ineffective NFL career with Seattle. He had a total of seven touchdown passes and 19 interceptions in his career. He was picked ahead of Shane Conlan, Jerome Brown, Rod Woodson, and quarterback Chris Miller.

But you can't limit this list to just 10 busts. If I wanted to pick on the Cleveland Browns, I would have thrown in their pick of Courtney Brown, another bust as a first overall selection.

But I don't want to let the Jets and Bengals off the hook for picking receivers in 1985 ahead of Jerry Rice. Al Toon caught 517 passes, including 31 for touchdowns. Eddie Brown had 363 receptions, including 41 for touchdowns. Toon made the Pro Bowl three times, and Brown once.

Of course, they didn't last nearly as long as Rice. But their franchises made flops with their picks, because even in their primes, they weren't close to Rice, the greatest receiver of all time. That's one of the reasons it's so hard to judge a draft until years later. But even when they drafted Rice, I'm sure the 49ers didn't realize what they had.

"Defeat is simply a signal to press onward"
        - Helen Keller

"What we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down"

- Mary Pickford

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
          • Apr 2005

Rashan Salaam

Comment

• Sportsuser101
            • Feb 2005

How about using your 1st round pick on Peerless Price willing giving up Willis McGahee and a ton of cash? Thats gotta be considered a bust.
            Dareus - 1st Round Pick

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Tatonka
              tony mandarich was a bigger bust than leaf.. imho.
              Mandarich was a servicable player for a brief time years after he was drafted. I think Leaf always sucked. I think steroids ruined any chance Mandarich had of being a decent player even though they got him to be drafted that early to begin with. I think they killed his body.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                • May 2003

Originally posted by Patssuck456
                For the Fins they are Jamar Fletcher (now a back up in San diego) and John Avery. Who the **** is John Avery you ask? Well we took him in the 99 or the 98 draft which ever onein which Randy Moss was drafted, well we could have had Moss you see and a Moss - Marino tandem would be unstoppable. JJ's resonse for not picking him? "He doesnt fit our system''. Bull****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He could fit in any system especially w/ Dan the Man. BTW John Avery is probably working for UPS now.

Ryan Leaf has to be the biggest bust overall.
                What about Sammy Smith?

Dolphins draft busts:
                Yatil Green

Then again, the Dolphins trade most of their picks away.

Comment

• casdhf
                  • Jul 2002

Erik Flowers, Bucky Brooks since 2000
                  90's I would have to say JD Williams
                  Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
                  cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• tampabay25690
                    • Feb 2004

Kijana Carter
                    GO Gators!!!!!!
                    GO GATORS!!

Comment

• ryjam282
                      Offical Billszone Starting QB
                      • Mar 2003

What about Rick Mirer also?

Ryan Withey
                      Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• jpdex12
                        • Jan 2005

What about Ray Finkle? Laces out!
                        Where else would you rather be than right here right now?

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
                          • Apr 2005

man, some of these guys must have been major busts, I dont even remember some of them...

Comment

• bigbub2352
                            • Feb 2005

What about Dan Mcgwire, Tim Biakabatuka, Health Shuler, Akili Smith, Lawerence Phillips, Brian Bosworth, David Terrell, Dimitrus Underwood, those guys were all first rounders
                            XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
                              • Apr 2005

Not that he was a bust or anything, but what ever happened to Rocket Ismial??

Comment

Working...
                              X