PDA

View Full Version : Attorney for disabled activist asks court to block Super Bowl

Cntrygal
01-03-2003, 10:49 PM
A lawyer wants a federal court to stop the Super Bowl unless the city expands access for the disabled at the stadium.

Attorney Amy Vandeveld said she filed an application for an injunction Friday in U.S. District Court to force the city to comply with the terms of a 2001 settlement aimed at expanding disabled access at Qualcomm Stadium.
more... (http://www.syracuse.com/sportsflash/football/index.ssf?/cgi-free/getstory_ssf.cgi?s0582_BC_FBN--SuperBowl-Lawsui&&sports&sportsflash-football)

SoFL-Cheesehead
01-04-2003, 10:12 AM
There is only 1 question the judge has to ask on this one, "do you have a ticket to the SB? If NO, then throw the suit out!!

Cntrygal
01-04-2003, 10:19 AM
I don't quite agree.... sounds like they were supposed to fix the problem before now. If that's true.. they had better start forking out the bucks to get a contractor in there. If you're disabled and KNOW that a place is inaccessible, why fork out the money, just on the chance that the place of business will comply with Federal Law? I never really understood the problems until I've had to deal with getting my mom in and out of places. She's now in a wheelchair. It's a pain/time consuming to have to "scout" a place beforehand just to see if she can get into it.

Novacane
01-05-2003, 07:51 PM
This sounds fishy to me. I would not be supprised if this person does not even like football. I don't like the word "activist"

BillC
01-05-2003, 09:16 PM
Yeah, G Dubya- let's step over the cripples as they crawl to their seats.

I better not spill my beer and natchos tripping over them!:injured:

Gunzlingr
01-06-2003, 10:10 AM
San Diego is far behind on the renovations they promised the NFL they would have done during their bid for the Super Bowl. They are also several million over budget.:yankee:

Dozerdog
01-06-2003, 10:12 AM
Sounds like government pork to me......

No Hillary jokes please:D-

Cntrygal
01-10-2003, 12:02 AM
Judge denies request for Super Bowl blockage

Beverly Walker asked a federal court to prevent San Diego from hosting the Super Bowl on January 26, claiming the city had not complied with the terms of a 2001 settlement aimed at expanding access for disabled people at Qualcomm Stadium.

http://www.wokr13.com/sports/story.aspx?content_id=5A4A8C09-FCBF-42E6-8D9E-30A9AEE965A6