PDA

View Full Version : Fiesta Bowl - What a crock

BambinoSux
01-03-2003, 11:32 PM
I don't care how hated the Miami Hurricanes are and how everyone wanted them to lose but how many times are we gonna have to see the same old tired act. Last year the Patsies cheated their way to a Super Bowl title, and then the referee deliberately makes a junk call and deliberately screws a team just so their could be better ratings, better story, whatever the hell it is they are out to do. I don't believe so many big games can come down to so many "missed judgement" calls. The Fiesta Bowl was a farce, the Ohio State Buckeyes championship is a farce, The New England Patriots Super Bowl Champions are a farce, and the game of football, which I love, is becoming a farce. Props to both teams for putting on a hell of a game save that BS call, but I hate to see a champion win like that, underdog or not. Someone has to do something about the refs NOW because I'm sick of seeing bad calls in the highlights instead of good plays.

SoCalBillsFan
01-03-2003, 11:35 PM
i agree that the PI call was amazingly bogus.

it really sucks to think you win a national championship only to see a very late flag come in. Sad.

Oh well.

BADTHINGSMAN
01-03-2003, 11:43 PM
the Bucks would have won if the holding call was called late in the 4th. He grabbed Gambles Jersey 2 times on same play. If he didnt hold its a first down.

Crock no way. Buckeyes wanted this more.

WG
01-03-2003, 11:48 PM
It was a judgement call either way I suppose. I can easily see the call, it wasn't ridiculous or anything. BTW, I wanted the Canes and thought they would blow OSU out.

Oh silent-one is right. OSU just seemed to want it more. Dorsey and the Miami O seemed to be "toying" around all night instead of simply playing fundamental football. Too much dallying w/ the big play once they could see that OSU came to play. Dorsey's INTs were his own fault. Sure he had some pressure, but you can't throw balls like that in a championship game.

BTW, that McGahee knee thing was disgusting coming from someone who's had 7 knee surgeries! It was right up there w/ that Terry Kirby Knee dislocation when he was on Miami. OUCH!

BambinoSux
01-03-2003, 11:48 PM
Keep reaching pal. Sorry but I'm not gonna argue your stupid argument. If I wanted to nitpick every little play then there would be a flag on every single play. The ref blew the big one plain and simple. I have no passion for either of these teams, not a die-hard fan or fan in the least of either of these teams. Since I am not from Michigan or Blacksburg I do not have any contempt for either of these teams. I'm the most neutral guy in this case and plain and simple: Miami got hosed. I don't care about no "holding" play that no one besides you noticed. The big plays call for responsible officiating and the ref screwed the Hurricanes period. As a fan, it sucks. I want to see who the best team on the field is and Miami won but then Ohio State won. Ohio State won last so they get the trophy. Doesn't seem right to me.

Jaydog57
01-03-2003, 11:50 PM
Doesn't matter dude, we lost. Miami didn't win. The game goes to the Buckeyes. As I wish I could cry in my beer and think we earned the win, we didn't. Ohio had more balls and pulled it out. They earned it. We'll be back soon, just not soon enough.....Congrats Buckeyes......:beer:

WG
01-03-2003, 11:51 PM
When the game's that close and you were favored to win by more than 10 in what many were anticipating to be a blowout, then you can't blame anyone but yourself if the best you can do is tie due to impatience and sloppy play for much of the game.

To me, it appeared that Miami was only serious in the second half while OSU, a football school that I hate, played seriously as if someone forgot to tell them they were supposed to lie down.

BTW, is Columbus on fire yet! :D

BambinoSux
01-03-2003, 11:54 PM
That's nice but that's not the point I'm trying to make. It's about more than just this game. It's about the Snow Bowl, about the Green Bay game when we should have had a play overturned but it was not reviewable cause the refs had a quick whistle. Same thign happened to the Rams opening week. I don't care if you are home, away, hated, loved, underdogs, overdogs, or even the bengals. No team should lose a game because of a referee's questionable, and bad call. In two cases, this one and the snow game last year, the game was over, period, if it wasn't for the horrible referee calls. I'm seek of it and people need to look into this to make it more about what happens on the field instead of a ref trying to be hero or whatever their agenda is.

lordofgun
01-03-2003, 11:55 PM
That shouldn't have been PI, but it could easily have been holding which would have been an automatic first down anyway. It wasn't bogus.

BADTHINGSMAN
01-03-2003, 11:56 PM
The announcing guys even caught the Holding deal. I definetly agree it could have been better officiated.

But Miami had the win all night. Kellen Winslow destroyed the Buckeyes but they started going away from him. You keep throwing to Winslow till the Buckeyes proove they can stop it. Miami just messed around all game. Buckeyes wanted it. Buckeyes got it.

Ingtar33
01-04-2003, 12:12 AM
Well,
I can't really say much more about that call than what you guys have already said... it was very poor, and a shame that the game was basically decided by a ref 10yards away who throws the flag while the ref standing 2yards away doesn't. One of my pet peeves about football officiating has always been that I always felt the judgment of the closest official should be the most relevant, and carry the most weight when you have a split call like that.

It still was a good game, and OSU deserved this win (Miami had 5 turnovers, to OSU's 2). On top of that, this will definitely be an instant classic... it had everything: big plays; turnovers; sacks; and drama. Furthermore we just witnessed a 14 point underdog knock off a team which hadn't lost in 3 years.

clumping platelets
01-04-2003, 12:16 AM
:clap:

I took Ohio St with the points!!

LABillsFan
01-04-2003, 12:26 AM
YA know what though, OS got flagged and Miami had a 1st. and goal but couldn't punch it in. It was a make up call and the Canes didn't capitalize. Another Floridian Flop

Butch
01-04-2003, 12:29 AM
The game shouldn't have even gone into OT anyway. On OSU's last possession in regulation, that incomplete pass to Gamble should have been called a catch. That would have given OSU a first down and could then just kneel on it. Still a great game though.

mackey789
01-04-2003, 01:37 AM
Honostly, i agree with bambino, the game of football is becoming extremely FIXED. Not only to the bills, but in BIG games. The first thing i said after that late PI flag was thrown was "hey another game that is fixed...what a joke". Its unbelievable!!!! The pats/fins game last weekend was fixed, the green bay/buffalo game, the chiefs game when we lost by 1, the chicago/NE game earlier in the year, the pats/raiders game last year. I could go on and on. It just seems like games are being decided and overturned by referee calls. It makes me sick and i think it should be checked out. Something is NOT right.

wharfrat
01-04-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

BTW, is Columbus on fire yet! :D

I would say there's one h@ll of a party out there... when I was at OSU, just winning against Mich would cause pandamonium! I can only imagine what a National Championship will cause!

missphin_2001
01-04-2003, 09:21 AM
Well if you want to add the pass interference call on Jamar Fletcher against the Patriots to give the Pats the ball on their one yard line to your list, it won't hurt my feelings.

I have watched the Refs dupe a lot of teams out of games. I am starting to feel like this game is fixed big time! I watched Jason Taylor being OBVIOUSLY held, and no call. I mean it was so bad the whole stadium saw it and booed!

There was a Ricky Williams fumble where his knee was clearly on the ground, reviewed, and called a fumble.

When you play a game of inches, and two plays can mean the difference between the playoffs, and not, then the refs need to be held more accountable.

Cntrygal
01-04-2003, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by missphin_2001
When you play a game of inches, and two plays can mean the difference between the playoffs, and not, then the refs need to be held more accountable.

I agree!! :up:

iceblizzard69
01-04-2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by missphin_2001

There was a Ricky Williams fumble where his knee was clearly on the ground, reviewed, and called a fumble.

You are talking about the Oakland game, right? Remember in that game when one of our recievers was clearly being interfered with but they didn't call pass interference because it was ruled "uncatchable." I think pass interference calls should be allowed to be reviewed, these calls are screwed up so much. I saw my two favorite football teams (Dolphins and Canes) lose big games in the last week because of bad pass interference calls.

SoFL-Cheesehead
01-04-2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by silent_one
the Bucks would have won if the holding call was called late in the 4th. He grabbed Gambles Jersey 2 times on same play. If he didnt hold its a first down.

Crock no way. Buckeyes wanted this more.

The Buckeyes got shafted in the 4th qurter and the Hurricanes got their's in OT!

The Buckeyes played a better game than the Canes. The Canes thought all they had to do was to walk in and pick up the award!!

4thAndLong
01-04-2003, 10:00 AM
Miami thought they already won.

Didn't Willis McGahee and Andre Johnson already have a party scheduled for tonight for when they were supposed to win?

Does anyone know the extent to McGahee's injury?