PDA

View Full Version : JP All the Time

ghz in pittsburgh
09-12-2005, 07:42 AM
Yes I was surprised that Mularkay let JP throw that pigskin as much as he did in the first half. Finally I have something to erase my memory of that NE game last year where JP did not look like he belongs.

I don't think JP did great yesterday; a lot of the success might be attributed to that he caught the Texans by surprise in the first half. When they adjusted in the second half, JP was not as successful but then McGahee took over by that time.

However, JP certainly showed me he can play in NFL. The poise and pocket pressure awareness are something we have not seen in Buffalo since Kelly's best days (and Flutie's brief stint here). Those two things are not something that can be taught. Consider the play where Losmanwa sacked. He saw a blitz, made the first man miss whereas Carr faced the samething on his first sack where he just could not dodge Schobel. That's the difference right there for both young QBs who are considered mobile.

That near pick on the first pass in the 2nd half is the 3rd time I've seen Losman failed to see the underneath man in opposing zone blitz package (Chicago's Urlacher dropped it, Detriot got it in preseasons). Expect Tampa Bay to do more of the same next week now that they have some film to study Losman.

As far as the red zone problems. #1 is the power running problem. We just did not seem capable of moving those people when they know we are going to run. #2 Losman's ball placement. I've noticed that he always tries to place balls where only his receiver can get it or no one can get it. In the redzone area where the space is jammed with players, it's more difficult to do that. To me it's more of a mental approach where Losman needs to trust his arm more and stick it there. Hopefully he'll grow with the success the team has. Right now getting points should be good enough.