PDA

View Full Version : Which Championship is tainted the most in recent history

don137
01-04-2003, 08:31 AM
Too many championships have ben very teainted in recent history. Which what do you feel is tainted the most due to the officating?

Judge
01-04-2003, 08:40 AM
Maybe I'm a homer, but the 1999 No-Goal was the most tainted, because it was a clear violation of a rule: Hull was in the crease. I recall many goals being disallowed under similar circumstances over the season. The after-the-fact justification by talking of a mysterious "league memo" doesn't wash- that was a violation of the rule.

The others are ref judgment calls. Whether you agree or disagree, the ref sees what he sees and has to make a call. Because judgment is involved, the call is arguably correct as opposed to a clear error.

wharfrat
01-04-2003, 09:02 AM
The Pats - it was a fumble.

The_Philster
01-04-2003, 09:18 AM
NO GOAL!!!
They had this phantom memo that no one knew about to try and cover their tracks. And then they had the audacity to change the rules the first day after the fiasco so that it would make the goal legal. The said part is that many people think that rule was already in place. The game was played on a Saturday night and the rule was passed Monday. Hello!!!??? Doesn't that seem a little fishy? (no offense, wharfie ;) )

WG
01-04-2003, 09:27 AM
The goal was the biggest farce but it didn't singlehandedly cost a championship. As I remember, the Sabres would have still had to win one more game, right. So as such, I'd vote for the "Tuck."

The goal was a complete travesty however and angered me the most. I completely lost all interest in NHL hockey after that specific moment. That was probably the Sabres best chance ever and likely will be to win a championship and to have it have ended that way was bogus to say the least.

Mr. Miyagi
01-04-2003, 09:50 AM
I voted for the "no goal" in the Sabres game. The only reason that they HAD to allow that goal was because all the Dallas players stormed the ice before they could call it back. By that time it'd be too difficult to send everyone back off the ice and start playing again, so they just let it slide.

I would also like to vote for the Music City Miracle, whichever year it was in the Wild Card game when the Bills played the Titans. We had that game won. That WAS a forward pass, and I will stick to it until the day I die.

SoFL-Cheesehead
01-04-2003, 09:54 AM
The Patsey Game!!

That was a BLOWN call and should have NEVER happened!!

IT WAS A FUMBLE!!!!!!!

ublinkwescore
01-04-2003, 11:38 AM
I'd say the Rams vs. the Titans - that was OUR YEAR!!!

We should have beaten the Titans, we would have beaten the Colts, and we would have beaten the Jags - our D that year was the best that this team has ever seen, and our offense would have lit up any defense that we would have had to play if Flutie were starting. Ralph Wilson/Wade Phillips -who ever it was that decided to bench Flutie should be banned forever from giving any input whatsoever into football.

I know we would have beaten the Rams because our D would have been enough to keep their O from lighting up the scoreboard, and their D was really weak - We would have lit their D up. We saw what Tampa Bay's 4th ranked D did to them - 12 points only - that game was kinda tainted too - Jaqcuez Green got robbed of a catch that would have given Tampa Bay a first down in Field goal range.

Fat Tony
01-04-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
The goal was the biggest farce but it didn't singlehandedly cost a championship. As I remember, the Sabres would have still had to win one more game, right. So as such, I'd vote for the "Tuck."

The goal was a complete travesty however and angered me the most. I completely lost all interest in NHL hockey after that specific moment. That was probably the Sabres best chance ever and likely will be to win a championship and to have it have ended that way was bogus to say the least.

Wrong again wing nut.

The goal by Dallas' Bret Hull in OT eliminated the Sabres and gave the cup to Dallas in game 6.

The big bru-ha-ha was that the game was well into the night (about 2 AM) and while Lindy Ruff was arguing to at minimum have the goal reviewed, Bettman was busy handing the cup over at center ice. Almost like he (Bettman) was in a hurry- must have had a plane to catch.

Amazing what a stuffed envelope will buy ya these days.

You want a tainted championship? Ask the Russians about the Gold medal Basketball game in 1972.

MissBuffalo
01-04-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
They had this phantom memo that no one knew about to try and cover their tracks. And then they had the audacity to change the rules the first day after the fiasco so that it would make the goal legal. The said part is that many people think that rule was already in place. The game was played on a Saturday night and the rule was passed Monday.

:grind: That really pissed me off. I don't think I've ever cryed so much in my life after that game. Eugh......it was so heartbraking!!!
And it ticked me off even more when they changed the rule immediately after the game...what a sham!!!

NHL :shelby: MissB

Marcos20
01-04-2003, 06:02 PM
Argentina winning the Dream Team in FIBA Championship ..

:rofl:

Ebenezer
01-06-2003, 02:32 PM
1. Miami got robbed but holding could have been called at the line of scrimmage.

2. It was almost obvious that he was "reloading" but it was a forward motion and thereby within the rules.

3. Duh?!? Nothing in the crease means nothing in the crease. It was a dumb rule but a rule nonetheless and the NHL did a crap-ass job of trying to explain it away.

Not being a :homer: but it is #3.

Ebenezer
01-06-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Fat Tony
You want a tainted championship? Ask the Russians about the Gold medal Basketball game in 1972.

this was not in the poll but I agree this was the biggest tainted championship ever. were the refs just going to keep giving the soviets chances until they won?? :phones:

Ebenezer
01-06-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Fat Tony

Wrong again wing nut.

The goal by Dallas' Bret Hull in OT eliminated the Sabres and gave the cup to Dallas in game 6.

The big bru-ha-ha was that the game was well into the night (about 2 AM) and while Lindy Ruff was arguing to at minimum have the goal reviewed, Bettman was busy handing the cup over at center ice. Almost like he (Bettman) was in a hurry- must have had a plane to catch.

Amazing what a stuffed envelope will buy ya these days.

tony,

I think you quoted the wrong post.

MissBuffalo
01-06-2003, 03:41 PM
I forgot about The Olympic Figure Skating Championship this past time between Russia and Canada. They corrected it later, but IMO Russia shouldn't have been able to keep the gold.