PDA

View Full Version : Old Dog New Tricks

LABillsFan
01-04-2003, 11:32 AM
This was out of an article in the Rochester D&C that was on the Zones front page. My wishes have been answered if this is true.

Next year, incorporating more throws to the tight ends and running backs will make Buffalo more effective overall, Bledsoe said, particularly in the red zone. The Bills’ TD success rate from the 20-yard line and in dropped from nearly 65 percent in the first half of the season to 38 percent.

“It’s being more patient, for me, specifically, taking the short play and not holding onto it for the big play all the time,” Bledsoe admitted. “That’s still going to be our personality, being a big-play offense. At the same time, there are times we need to be patient and keep the drive going.”

mybills
01-04-2003, 11:53 AM
He can talk the talk, but can he walk the walk?

Never teach an old dog new tricks...ha-ha!

I hope a new coach can teach an old QB some tricks!:D

WG
01-04-2003, 01:00 PM
It's also all moot if Gilbride remains our O.C. It could not have been more apparent this year at times that the answer was short throws or better yet even runs. It was so apparent that it would have been equivalent to the proverbial slapping the 2x4 across the head. Yet, he still didn't manage to pick up on it. I certainly didn't see Drew's changing the plays that way either.

Meanwhile, isn't it Drew who throws the passes? Or is it the D or something. Why didn't he hit Riemersma wide open in the endzone instead of Moulds for only 9 yards and an INT on the following play? Wasn't that up to Drew? Why is it that Moulds and Price had 194 recepts to 48 for the TEs combined? Or only 37 balls to Josh Reed. Heck, Johnson was the only other WR who caught a pass and he only had 3 catches. There was precious little balance to our passing game. We went to Moulds/Price way to much and it cost us by allowing Ds to defend us better, especially since they knew we would pass when we should have run.

Doesn't Drew decide who he's throwing to? B/c I saw Moore wide open several times while Drew was trying to go deep.

This is Drew's team like it or not, and I don't, so we had all better enjoy seeing the deep ball often. B/c that's the way it's gonna be here in Buffalo. Drew's always preferred that especially since his flaws come out when he has to go to a short passing game.

Live by the big play, die by the big play. I think this reliance on the big pass play cost us far more this year than it netted. That's also the way it was in N.E. under Drew's tenure! I see no reason why that's gonna change next season. It's all lip service.

4thAndLong
01-04-2003, 01:33 PM
Wys,

You go to your receivers for your big play guys. We have average TEs. I could understand if it was a Shockey or smeone not getting receptions.

Besides, how do you trust a guy like Reimersma who dropped alot of balls this year.

If Moore was wide open when Drew was going deep...Are you sure Bledsoe saw him? Our OL is one of the worst pass-blocking ones in the league next to Houston. He doesn't get too much time to look around the field. Also, I see Centers miss his blocker ALOT this year. It's hard to throw with someone in your face.

If your talking about the Packer game, Wys...That INT wasn't his fault, it was right off Price's hand. He should've had that.

mybills
01-04-2003, 07:14 PM
Wys -

You are absolutely right! :up:

DIHARD2
01-04-2003, 11:24 PM
Wys, so is it Bledsoe or is it the coaching? One thread your blaming everything on Bledsoe. Now on this thread your blaming the coaching and his play calling.

So would you make up my mind? Is it the coaches fault we lost all the games or is it Bledsoe's. Or could it be our defense at beginning of the season couldn't stop anyone? Could it be G. W. and his game plan. Maybe it's the water boy or could it be the caretaker of the stadium.

So Wys please tell me why a team who on average is the youngest team in the league playing key positions not able to just come out of college and beat team that have been playing together for three to four years.

There is going to be a different offensive game plan this next season. So, all you who feel that it's necessary to blame anything more than inexperience of the youth movement we have going on at this point in our team, needs to look at the whole picture. Nothing more nothing less than inexperience cost us games this last season.

Andrea1234
01-05-2003, 01:46 AM
very true its called 2 yr rookies that has little or no exp in NFL like it or not we where a young team and as the yr went along the d got better :) thats what it means having a young team and WYS stop your comp its getting alittle annyoning for me

mybills
01-05-2003, 09:01 AM
I think wys is saying that it's both. That's what I think too. The coach says pass when a run should be done, so Bledsoe stays with the coach's decision, but he see's only one intended. He does not look around for a second one (most of the time). Just because the coach calls a passing play, doesn't mean pass to only one guy. He really needs to look. Even when the line gives him all the time in the world, he stays focused on his initial intended until the guy gets open. That's suicide and stupid.

WG
01-05-2003, 10:20 AM
Well, according to Drew's own comments, the OL was fine.

Bledsoe takes it a step further.

“As we progressed through the season, they really became a dominant unit,” he said. “With another year, I really believe they can be one of the premier offensive line groups in the league. They were that by the end of the season, but I think next year they can establish that all year.”

Here's the link:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/sports/bills/0105story1_bills.shtml

Maiorana's got it absolutely right. The reason for Drew's 54 sacks is his own lack of mobility. Anyone who doesn't see it that way has blinders on. Also, there were plenty of times that Drew threw a key INT w/ plenty of time. Just go look at that Raider/Buchanon INT. Where was the pressure? How much time did he have? Plenty to set up and throw. It is a far cry from the paltry seconds that RJ had last year.

How soon people forget who was on our OL last year.

"At the end of 2001, the line consisted of left tackle John Fina, left guard Brown, center Bill Conaty, right guard Jerry Ostroski and right tackle Jonas Jennings."

What he fails to mention is the man-days of injury on our OL. Several of those guys were hurt early on leading to Hulsey, Heimburger, Carman, getting significant playing time.

This will happen every year just as it has for 10 seasons and counting. The knock to try and explain away all of Drew's key errors will be that the OL can't pass block. Nonsense! It did a fine job when Bledsoe played his worst ball.

I know, I know, then the bad weather started kicking in for the last 9 games beginning in late October. :rolleyes:

Next year I'm sure it will be an equipment problem that they "discover" after 10 games. Or the food wasn't right! Anything but poor throws and bad decision making by Drew!

YAWWWN!!!

:boring:

WG
01-05-2003, 10:23 AM
Maybe we should find a QB then who can play in the bad weather and not need 12 seconds in the pocket, and one who can find open TEs and look for 3rd and 4th WRs.

I have no idea how good Brown is, but he sure looked for and found his 2nd and 3rd WRs in the lone opportunity that he had.

LABillsFan
01-06-2003, 01:11 AM
Wys, maybe the Bills will find a QB in the next few decades that you like. Don't give up.