PDA

View Full Version : What the Bills need

Turf
09-12-2005, 10:32 PM
What this team desparately needs and has lacked for the past 10 years+, since Pete Johnson in fact, is a huge FB they actually give the ball to, or a large HB (aka Bettis) who can gain those tough to gain, 3rd, 4th and short, and goal line situations. We have no back that can punch a ball in for tough yards in those situations. That's why our red zone offense sucks so much. And the fullbacks we have, we never use. For some odd reason the Bills have decided to abandon the philosphy of using a FB or large back in goal line situations.
We simply cannot run the ball in short yard situations we need to. Offensive line? Yeah, I'm the first to complain about them.
But we need a behemoth back there that can bowl people over. Willis is tough, but why doesn't anyone blame him and not JP for the all the goal line failures.
I don't understand the philosophy of the coaching staff that doesn't have enough sense to realize this, see it, own up to it, and correct it. This has been going on for way too may years.

BADTHINGSMAN
09-12-2005, 10:39 PM
I have to agree with this.. Willis is a great back, but like Turf has stated that powerful FB is what Buffalo is lacking.. Buffalo could use Jason Peters as a goaline and short yardage FB.. Peters does have great speed for a OL and he was a TE..

JD
09-13-2005, 12:24 AM
Put Aaron Shobel at FB woot woot haha

Bert102176
09-13-2005, 12:42 AM
I would try Jason Peters at FB

clumping platelets
09-13-2005, 02:15 AM
McGahee is 230.....he's big enough.

Tinboy
09-13-2005, 04:38 AM
Peters as FB, sound good. Why not test it?

TheGhostofJimKelly
09-13-2005, 05:26 AM
Am I crazy or is this one of the worst posts ever?

Jan Reimers
09-13-2005, 05:52 AM
Am I crazy or is this one of the worst posts ever?
No, you're right.

X-Era
09-13-2005, 05:52 AM
What this team desparately needs and has lacked for the past 10 years+, since Pete Johnson in fact, is a huge FB they actually give the ball to, or a large HB (aka Bettis) who can gain those tough to gain, 3rd, 4th and short, and goal line situations. We have no back that can punch a ball in for tough yards in those situations. That's why our red zone offense sucks so much. And the fullbacks we have, we never use. For some odd reason the Bills have decided to abandon the philosphy of using a FB or large back in goal line situations.
We simply cannot run the ball in short yard situations we need to. Offensive line? Yeah, I'm the first to complain about them.
But we need a behemoth back there that can bowl people over. Willis is tough, but why doesn't anyone blame him and not JP for the all the goal line failures.
I don't understand the philosophy of the coaching staff that doesn't have enough sense to realize this, see it, own up to it, and correct it. This has been going on for way too may years.
Hmmm and Chris Fuamatu Maafala is still out there after being released. An ex-Steeler, TD and Mularkey ex-Steelers. hmmm

EricStratton
09-13-2005, 06:52 AM
It would be nice if we had a big 230+ pound back to hand the ball to if we ever get into a 4th and 2 situation.

casdhf
09-13-2005, 07:11 AM
It would be nice if we had a big 230+ pound back to hand the ball to if we ever get into a 4th and 2 situation.
We have a 230-pound back as our started.

If we bring some scrub in that weights 260 and can only get 3 yards and runs out of gas, I'd say that's pretty obvious. With McGahee's size and speed, it keeps the defense a little on their toes. Remeber that 4th down pitch Willis got last year? I'd like to see Fu or Jason Peters do that.

EricStratton
09-13-2005, 07:12 AM
We have a 230-pound back as our started.

I know Cas, that's why I pointed out the 4th and 2 situation that Willis converted on the TD drive.

colin
09-13-2005, 07:22 AM
I know Cas, that's why I pointed out the 4th and 2 situation that Willis converted on the TD drive.

exactly.

small rant:

highschool fan guy: he's the guy who thinks the frickin wishbone, or I option will ALWAYS WORK. THEY RAN IT ON US AT STATE AND IT ALWAYS WORKED!!! he also says "I LOVE TEH FULLBAKC, SUHC A GUD POSITION", and my personal favorite "TEH 3 YARDZ AND A CLUOD OF DUST!!"

First of all, no. No, we do NOT need a "BIG RB", or a "BIG FB". have you seen our backs? we have the biggest set of starting backs around. Willis goes a bit over 230 and shelton is FRIGGIN 260. sheton is huge.

we have a HUGE backfield.

also, fullbacks are small role players in the NFL. linebackers can beat and get around blocks, holes are smaller so you don't want a full back in them all the time. the fullback's job is to ATTEMPT to get to the second level and knock a guy out, but he can't do that all the time. when he gets clogged in a gap in the NFL you need a good RB to bounce outside, this is why Henry and Antoine Smith had trouble, they couldn't pick their spots well enough.

and finally, 3 yards and a could of dust will get you jack sh_t in the NFL.

it's time for you al bundy's to take the hands out of the pants, flush the can, and maybe watch a pro football game.

Turf
09-13-2005, 07:44 AM
exactly.

small rant:

highschool fan guy: he's the guy who thinks the frickin wishbone, or I option will ALWAYS WORK. THEY RAN IT ON US AT STATE AND IT ALWAYS WORKED!!! he also says "I LOVE TEH FULLBAKC, SUHC A GUD POSITION", and my personal favorite "TEH 3 YARDZ AND A CLUOD OF DUST!!"

First of all, no. No, we do NOT need a "BIG RB", or a "BIG FB". have you seen our backs? we have the biggest set of starting backs around. Willis goes a bit over 230 and shelton is FRIGGIN 260. sheton is huge.

we have a HUGE backfield.

also, fullbacks are small role players in the NFL. linebackers can beat and get around blocks, holes are smaller so you don't want a full back in them all the time. the fullback's job is to ATTEMPT to get to the second level and knock a guy out, but he can't do that all the time. when he gets clogged in a gap in the NFL you need a good RB to bounce outside, this is why Henry and Antoine Smith had trouble, they couldn't pick their spots well enough.

and finally, 3 yards and a could of dust will get you jack sh_t in the NFL.

it's time for you al bundy's to take the hands out of the pants, flush the can, and maybe watch a pro football game.

You're a complete ****ing idiot, if it makes you feel any better.

Did you watch the last game? Did you see the redzone offense. Did you see us get stopped on 3rd and short resulting in FG's? Near the goaline?
The amount of animosity towards this thread is incredible. I've seen much dumber things posted.
And I'm going to stick by what I say, we need a power RB. I'll keep it to myself from now one, and the read the threads of the learned. Jesus Christ.

mysticsoto
09-13-2005, 08:02 AM

Did you watch the last game? Did you see the redzone offense. Did you see us get stopped on 3rd and short resulting in FG's? Near the goaline?
The amount of animosity towards this thread is incredible. I've seen much dumber things posted.
And I'm going to stick by what I say, we need a power RB. I'll keep it to myself from now one, and the read the threads of the learned. Jesus Christ.

Well, I'm not going to slam you for expressing your opinion, but I too agree with them in that I find it hard to believe anyone would say something like this. McGahee is 230+ lbs and that type of bruising back that we want. McGahee didn't score on 3rd and 2, if I recall, b'cse he slipped when heading to the endzone. Also, the O-line didn't do a good job in that play. I liked Mularkey's ideas last year of putting in Sam Adams to open up a hole for WM. I'd much prefer that, than spending a roster spot for a very low used role character. Are you going to carry 3 FBs then? Who are you going to release? Every player added costs another's spot and can have repercussions down the line.

JefftheBillsfan
09-13-2005, 08:03 AM
4th and 2 with the game on the line. would you really take willis mcgahee out of the game for chris fu... or jason peters?

honestly?

eyedog
09-13-2005, 08:16 AM
Top three all-time stupidest topic.

colin
09-13-2005, 08:17 AM

of course you have seen dumber things posted, you type most of them.

i'll be a good guy and extend an olive branch to the slow kids in the class:

A) you say we have trouble moving on short yardage (certainly we could be better)
B) you conclude that we need a big FB or running back

BUT

C) we HAVE HUGE BACKS.

this should lead the fast 3rd graders, and even the slow 4th graders, to perhaps think there MIGHT be more to converthing 3rd and short THAN THE SIZE OF OUR BACKS!!

maybe getting guys out of the box on D, showing a real pass threat, using missdirection, bouncing outside, odd snap cadance, QB sneaks, better blocking schemes and excecution will help?

no no, we need bigger backs, so jamal lewis and kliensauser have to be our backs, because ours are just not big enough.

note how atlanta can convert short yardage with tiny dunn and tiny vick.