X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • don137
    • Jul 2002

Thoughts on McGahee

I still wonder how much the knee bothers him. He still does not look as explosive as he did in college.
    He is a great RB but it seems like the norm is he gets the majority of his yards in the second half when defenses are worn down. I would like to see him increase his YPC in the first half. He didn't tear it up in pre-season and his first half against Houston wasn't anything eye popping. Maybe it was 8 guys in the box in the first half but once Houston switched to a cover 2 he became more effective.
    Also, I get nervous that every game he seems to be lying on his back hurt.
    I believe his YPC last year was under 4yds. While he got a lot of 100 yd games he also got a lot of carries.
    It's still very early in the season so I am not overly concerned yet but I would like to see 4 good quarters out of him more consistantly and not just excellent 2nd half numbers. I am sure some of the blame goes to the OL and not just McGahee.
  • casdhf
    • Jul 2002

Re: Thoughts on McGahee

I think he's a playa and even if he's lost a step, he is still faster than 90% of the guys on the field. Remember, it took edge and jamal lewis 2 full years to get healthy, that's not even considering getting back into football shape
    Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
    cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• Pride
      • Jul 2002

You have to remember... the Texans have one of the BEST DL in the league... they always finish towards the top in least yards allowed...

Also, you have to remember that they were putting 8 in the box to FORCE JP to throw... they figured that if they forced the "rookie" QB to beat them... that they had a chance... Their whole gameplan was to stop McGahee. And it worked... until JP went 6 for 6 on his first drive... and started making deeper throws.

Once they realized that JP was good enough to beat them... and they werent getting sacks... they had to go to 4 deep, and the LineBackers had to play the pass a little more..

That is why Willis "played poorly" in the first quarter, and got going in the 2nd quarter

It had nothing to do with Willis.

Comment

• don137
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Pride
        You have to remember... the Texans have one of the BEST DL in the league... they always finish towards the top in least yards allowed...

Also, you have to remember that they were putting 8 in the box to FORCE JP to throw... they figured that if they forced the "rookie" QB to beat them... that they had a chance... Their whole gameplan was to stop McGahee. And it worked... until JP went 6 for 6 on his first drive... and started making deeper throws.

Once they realized that JP was good enough to beat them... and they werent getting sacks... they had to go to 4 deep, and the LineBackers had to play the pass a little more..

That is why Willis "played poorly" in the first quarter, and got going in the 2nd quarter

It had nothing to do with Willis.
        I hope your right. It's just that teams will be going against great defenses all year. His pre-season wasn't stellar and his YPC last year was under 4 yards. While I still think he is a great RB I have noticed a pattern forming that he doesn't start games strong and then once teams get worn down is when he gets the majority of his yards. Maybe teams are stacking the box has a lot to do with it but as Marv Levy used to say "the mark of a great team is the other team knowing what you are going to do and they still can't stop you."
        I have faith in him I just wish he would start stronger more consistantly.

Comment

• Pride
          • Jul 2002

Our line isnt strong enough to fight 8 in the box... that is why we rely so heavily on our QB to open up the run. Bledsoe couldn't do it.. he couldnt beat you on his own... and that is why we could never beat a good team. We are all hoping that JP has changed that... If JP can show that he can beat a good defense on his own... then they will be forced to play zone... which opens up the run greatly.

Without a great OL to beat the 8 man fronts, you need something else... here's hoping JP is that something else.

Comment

• casdhf
            • Jul 2002

I was very impressed with our OL play for the entire game.
            Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
            cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• kishoph
              • Jun 2003

I think most backs in the NFL take some time to get into a groove, Willis may take just a little longer, but you have to realize Willis faces alot of 8 man fronts. Willis punishes the defense that by the time the third and forth quater come around the defenders are a little less quick to want to stick thier bodies into the hole to try and stop him. I think I'd rather have him finish the game strong than worring about picking up yards in the early part of the game. As far as the explosiveness, I don't think you'll ever see the same kind that Willis had in college, mainly because he's bigger than he was in college. Myself I'm very happy that Willis McGahee is a Buffalo BILL. Of course I would like to see him break the long ones, but I'll take whatever he give us.
              GO BILLS

Comment

• don137
                • Jul 2002

I truly am not sure if it is the 8 men in the box due to lack of respect to the passing game or is it the OL and WM not being effective early or a little of both. I am not down on WM at all and am not taking a WYS everything is bad approach. I am just pointing out something I noticed. I still think he is a great back.

Comment

• TedMock
                  • Jul 2002

In college he was a man amongst boys. This is a different ballgame. I think he's got his explosiveness, he just needs a clean hole. That won't happen every Sunday. As for him getting his big yards in the second half....beautiful. Kill the clock, and come home with the win. I think that because of his speed, many forget that he's a 6', 230lbs. power back first. He's not a little scat-back that comes in for a big play here and there. His size and strength where down the defense which is why he was getting 11, and 17 yard runs in the 4th quarter. The speed is there, and we'll see it more than once this season.

Comment

• colin
                    Drew's my hero!
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TedMock
                    In college he was a man amongst boys. This is a different ballgame. I think he's got his explosiveness, he just needs a clean hole. That won't happen every Sunday. As for him getting his big yards in the second half....beautiful. Kill the clock, and come home with the win. I think that because of his speed, many forget that he's a 6', 230lbs. power back first. He's not a little scat-back that comes in for a big play here and there. His size and strength where down the defense which is why he was getting 11, and 17 yard runs in the 4th quarter. The speed is there, and we'll see it more than once this season.
                    good point

little fast backs will always look faster than big fast backs, i think guys like dunn and westbrook hit their top speed sooner, but might not be going faster than a big jamal lewis or willis.

willis also dances a bit, or did at least early.

he ran back and tried to cut outside looking for a hole, so he's patient, but when i does just run up and hit the hole he shows a good burst IMO.

all that said, he prolly still isn't as fast as he once was, yet anyway

Comment

• jamze132
                      Don’t hate…
                      • Jun 2003

Isn't anyone the least bit concerned that every game McGahee goes down with some sort of injury? He then gets back up, goes to the sideline and is back in the next series. He does this once, very early in each game. It's very odd but at least he comes back. I just don't understand. Is he a hypercondriac? Is he still hesitant because of his knee?

Comment

• Captain gameboy
                        • Jul 2002

I am a little concerned and a little disappointed, though I still think he's an upgrade from TH.
                        I too am getting a bit concerned about his getting dinged every game.
                        I am a little disappointed in his abilities in "space." I thought he would be a bit more OJ like.

When he gets room, he doesn't break it for a long gain or score. I thought he would.
                        I really notice that he doesn't cut that much.

He's extremely strong and great going around the corner, but he does not have the break away burst that I was hoping for.

Comment

• BillsFanCupp38
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by don137
                          I still wonder how much the knee bothers him. He still does not look as explosive as he did in college.
                          He is a great RB but it seems like the norm is he gets the majority of his yards in the second half when defenses are worn down. I would like to see him increase his YPC in the first half. He didn't tear it up in pre-season and his first half against Houston wasn't anything eye popping. Maybe it was 8 guys in the box in the first half but once Houston switched to a cover 2 he became more effective.
                          Also, I get nervous that every game he seems to be lying on his back hurt.
                          I believe his YPC last year was under 4yds. While he got a lot of 100 yd games he also got a lot of carries.
                          It's still very early in the season so I am not overly concerned yet but I would like to see 4 good quarters out of him more consistantly and not just excellent 2nd half numbers. I am sure some of the blame goes to the OL and not just McGahee.
                          He averaged 4 yards a carry last year and he scores TD's like its his job. The guy moves the chains in short yardage situations. Hes big and powerful with pretty good speed. He doesnt need to be super fast to be successful in this league which he proved all last year. And being down all the time on his back. He is tough as nails. He will get hurt and be in the next few plays. Last year he hurt his on a little screen pass when his foot got caught up with the turf and stuck there. He came back the next week and had a hundred yards with a couple of scores. Defenses figure that buffalo cant throw the ball and i cant say that i dont agree with them. They will stack that line of scrimmage to stop McGahee at all costs untill Buffalo can prove they have a ligitimate passing game. The proof was in the pooding on sunday against the texans. They didnt expect us to come out and throw the ball like that and once we did they had no choice but to take that 8th guy outta the box and play pass coverage which is why Losmans #'s went down in the second half.
                          Jeremy Cupp

Comment

• sunshynman
                            • Aug 2005

Originally posted by jamze132
                            Isn't anyone the least bit concerned that every game McGahee goes down with some sort of injury? He then gets back up, goes to the sideline and is back in the next series. He does this once, very early in each game. It's very odd but at least he comes back. I just don't understand. Is he a hypercondriac? Is he still hesitant because of his knee?
                            A would say that happens to the majority of backs. It has to be the most injury prown position in football. I think you will see more break out runs this season, coming in the 2nd half. Willis takes a little bit to get going because he is watching the defence and figuring out the weak points. He's is extremly patience waiting for the holes to form. He will start breaking more long runs this year, its one of his goals!

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                              • May 2003

While he was very good last Sunday, I don't think he really has his burst back, either. Perhaps he'll settle in as a power back - which, with his stiff arm, 230 pounds, and at least decent speed - will still be a potent combination.
                              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

Working...
                              X