PDA

View Full Version : Larry Felser out of Pro Football HOF Committee

Judge
01-05-2003, 10:59 AM
Love him or hate him, he was around a long time and had clout on that committee.

He's being replaced by Buffalo News sports writer Mark Gaughan, a bright, objective, but younger columnist.

I wonder how this may affect prospects of arguably marginal HOF candidates from the Bills' 1990's era teams? I think it'll hurt w/o a guy who is highly respected for his historical perspective advocating for the Bills in the room.

Andre Reed, Steve Tasker, Kent Hull- maybe in trouble?

Dozerdog
01-05-2003, 11:01 AM
do you have a source or link?

pmoon6
01-05-2003, 07:49 PM
If Felser is off the HOF committie,then that would be unfortuate.There is nobody that know more about the Bills and Western N.Y. sports than Felser.There were alot of great players in the Bills organization before 1988, and Felser knows them all from the inception of the franchise.Anyone ever hear of Stratton,Saimes,Sestak,Gilchrist,Kemp,Dubenion,and Byrd.Sportswriters of that era consider the Bills defense of '64 and 65 the best ever in the AFL.It would be sad if someone with his knowledge was not allowed to vote on the HOF.I hope this is not the case.

The_Philster
01-05-2003, 07:51 PM
I hope not as well. If not for Felser, Billy Shaw would never have gotte in.

Novacane
01-05-2003, 08:00 PM
It was in the Buffalo news today. He retired from the committee.

There was just a small announcment insert in Gaughan's inside the NFL column. I just checked and it is not in the online version but it was in today's paper

Judge
01-05-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by BledsoeTOreedfor6
It was in the Buffalo news today. He retired from the committee.

There was just a small announcment insert in Gaughan's inside the NFL column. I just checked and it is not in the online version but it was in today's paper

Exactly- I read it in the Buffalo News. I was surprised by the news, as I've heard Felser on Empire and he's talked about the HOF committee. I never got the impression he'd be retiring from it. But he did- bad break for Buffalo HOF hopes.

SABURZFAN
01-06-2003, 01:22 AM
i hope felser's out.i can't stand him.

northernbillfan
01-06-2003, 02:56 AM
:scratch: If the replacement is still a Buffalo sports writer, what makes you think it will hurt Buffalo? He'd still think about Buffalo players. Wouldn't he?

The_Philster
01-06-2003, 04:54 AM
Yeah nbf, but Felser can make a better case for our players, especially the old-timers like Tom "Should already be in the HOF" Sestak because he's seen everyone of them play.