PDA

View Full Version : Young QB's - Let's take a look

Dozerdog
09-18-2005, 07:32 PM
Let's examine some of the top picks of the past few years and see how they started-

Carr / Harrington- Both thrown into the fire from the get-go. Both taken their lumps, but have had talented wepons built around them.

Both still suck after 3+ years

Palmer - Sat a year, and then brought in to a younger team also built with plenty of weapons. Sure he went 8-8, and Kitna probably was the better short term guy. But he took a year observing, then the Bengals had the patience to stick with him despite risking (and losing) a playoff spot.

He's kicking ass this year.

Boller- He just stinks.

Kerr
09-18-2005, 07:35 PM
Palmer has been outstanding. The Bengals and Steelers will rule that division. This may be the year the bengals finally reach the playoffs.

Dozerdog
09-18-2005, 07:38 PM
I wouldn't mind if he turned out like Palmer has

Dozerdog
09-18-2005, 07:39 PM
Roethlesberger- Forced in to action- they gave him such a vanilla offense to run all year- throw 15-20 times a game.

We need to get back to that.

Kerr
09-18-2005, 07:42 PM
Roethlesberger- Forced in to action- they gave him such a vanilla offewnse to run all year- throw 15-20 times a game.

The thing about big ben is that he always had a strong running game to aid him when he thrown into the fire. Today the offensive line couldn't open many holes for Mcgahee. Thus, making it more difficult for a young qb.

justasportsfan
09-18-2005, 07:49 PM
I wonder if Spikes wishes he was back in Cincy.

Ebenezer
09-18-2005, 07:51 PM
Roethlesberger- Forced in to action- they gave him such a vanilla offense to run all year- throw 15-20 times a game.

the tell tale sign of problems was the series on the 1-yard line...the calls should have been dive, dive, dive, punt...

Mr. Cynical
09-18-2005, 10:22 PM
IMO, I think Ben is ultimately just a better QB than JP, which is why we weren't able to trade up to get him. He is special. Is JP special? Too early to tell but I think it's totally possible.

But I don't think there is any doubt about Ben. He has been winning consistenly since he stepped on the field and no matter how good the team is, if he wasn't that good it would have shown by now.

Dozerdog
09-18-2005, 10:24 PM
IMO, I think Ben is ultimately just a better QB than JP, which is why we weren't able to trade up to get him. He is special. Is JP special? Too early to tell but I think it's totally possible.

But I don't think there is any doubt about Ben. He has been winning consistenly since he stepped on the field and no matter how good the team is, if he wasn't that good it would have shown by now.Put him on the Browns and I don't think he would be looking so "special"

Dozerdog
09-18-2005, 10:26 PM
If Tommy Maddox and Kordell Stewart can win with that team & system- almost anyone can.

Mr. Cynical
09-18-2005, 10:36 PM
Put him on the Browns and I don't think he would be looking so "special"Put Montana, Favre, Marino or Kelly on a s**t team and they wouldn't be looking so special either. Moot point....

If Tommy Maddox and Kordell Stewart can win with that team & system- almost anyone can.Different team, different system. Mularky and Clements are here now, not there coaching Ben. And even Kordell's probowl year wasn't as good as Ben's rookie year.

Regardless of the "system", he still has to make it work. They are 17-1. He is special.

Ebenezer
09-18-2005, 10:47 PM
Put Montana, Favre, Marino or Kelly on a s**t team and they wouldn't be looking so special either. Moot point....

Different team, different system. Mularky and Clements are here now, not there coaching Ben. And even Kordell's probowl year wasn't as good as Ben's rookie year.

Regardless of the "system", he still has to make it work. They are 17-1. He is special.

Stege Young looked like crap with the Bucs. Even in 4-12 and 7-8 Kelly never looked like crap with the Bills (over a long term basis)...you can't generalize.

Roelisberger is special...i just don't like the logic that some people have been using that because he is that JP will be...we got a long way to go with Losman.

Mr. Cynical
09-18-2005, 10:50 PM
Stege Young looked like crap with the Bucs. Even in 4-12 and 7-8 Kelly never looked like crap with the Bills (over a long term basis)...you can't generalize.

Roelisberger is special...i just don't like the logic that some people have been using that because he is that JP will be...we got a long way to go with Losman.I never said JP "will" be special. :huh:

Ebenezer
09-18-2005, 10:58 PM
I never said JP "will" be special. :huh:
did I say you did?? i know a lot of people here and off the boards...don't tell me you haven't heard some say this kid is "special" or whatever positive adjective they want to use.

Mr. Cynical
09-19-2005, 12:07 AM
did I say you did?? i know a lot of people here and off the boards...don't tell me you haven't heard some say this kid is "special" or whatever positive adjective they want to use.
By quoting me and only me when you said that, you implied I did. If you are making a general statement, then you should say something like "not you specifically" in your post.

BucGuy
09-19-2005, 12:18 AM
I wonder if Spikes wishes he was back in Cincy.
I'm guessing he's realizing he made a big mistake.

Devin
09-19-2005, 12:22 AM
I dont think Spikes made a mistake, hes no better off now then he was in Cincy.

We are getting there, and I think this year is still a playoff year. The beggining of the season has always been rough for us, least the last couple years.

Night Train
09-19-2005, 02:32 AM
If Tommy Maddox and Kordell Stewart can win with that team & system- almost anyone can.
Mularkey coached them. Time to spread the offense out with 3 WR's and bench Shelton ( who is a good player ). The power formation just isn't working, due to the lack of push on the OL.

Delays,draws, counters will get Willis his yards. 3 WR's spreads out the D and allows JP to roll out and hit the short stuff, setting up the rare long ball. Josh Reed has proven early that he found his hands and can get open. (It's Moulds lack of seperation that concerns me, at this point) .

If we can't get 1st downs and move the ball, our D will be spent by November. The coaching staff is learning what JP can/cannot do and adjustments are coming.

Typ0
09-19-2005, 03:07 AM
the gameplan today sucked. we came out gunning at one of the better secondaries in the league and had no commitment to the run game. The coaches set us up to fail today.

EDS
09-19-2005, 08:04 AM
the gameplan today sucked. we came out gunning at one of the better secondaries in the league and had no commitment to the run game. The coaches set us up to fail today.

That is the same game plan that allowed the Bills to win in week 1.

Earthquake Enyart
09-19-2005, 08:22 AM
If Harrington could have crawled into a hole in Soldier Field and hid yesterday, he would have. He looked like he was about to cry. :snicker:

And Orton looked pretty good yesterday, doing what JP should do. Not lose the game.

The_Philster
09-19-2005, 03:32 PM
That is the same game plan that allowed the Bills to win in week 1.I find it hard to believe that professional coaches would use the same gameplan against 2 different opponents

DynaPaul
09-19-2005, 04:27 PM
Roethlisberger has 3 good RBs there in Pittsburgh, we have 1. He also has a better line than we do. Speaking of young QBs, don't forget Eli Manning who I think will be nothing better than average. The Giants screwed up and way overpaid for him.

finsrclowns
09-19-2005, 05:37 PM
Let's examine some of the top picks of the past few years and see how they started-

Carr / Harrington- Both thrown into the fire from the get-go. Both taken their lumps, but have had talented wepons built around them.

Both still suck after 3+ years

Palmer - Sat a year, and then brought in to a younger team also built with plenty of weapons. Sure he went 8-8, and Kitna probably was the better short term guy. But he took a year observing, then the Bengals had the patience to stick with him despite risking (and losing) a playoff spot.

He's kicking ass this year.

Boller- He just stinks.

I think I'm getting your point but please followup with your thoughts on how this applies to JP and the Bills.