Young QB's - Let's take a look

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dozerdog
    In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Young QB's - Let's take a look

Let's examine some of the top picks of the past few years and see how they started-

Carr / Harrington- Both thrown into the fire from the get-go. Both taken their lumps, but have had talented wepons built around them.

Both still suck after 3+ years

Palmer - Sat a year, and then brought in to a younger team also built with plenty of weapons. Sure he went 8-8, and Kitna probably was the better short term guy. But he took a year observing, then the Bengals had the patience to stick with him despite risking (and losing) a playoff spot.

He's kicking ass this year.

Boller- He just stinks.
  • Kerr
    Hall of Fame Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Re: Young QB's - Let's take a look

Palmer has been outstanding. The Bengals and Steelers will rule that division. This may be the year the bengals finally reach the playoffs.

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
      • Jul 2002

I wouldn't mind if he turned out like Palmer has

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
        • Jul 2002

Roethlesberger- Forced in to action- they gave him such a vanilla offense to run all year- throw 15-20 times a game.

We need to get back to that.

Comment

• Kerr
          Hall of Fame Zoner
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Dozerdog
          Roethlesberger- Forced in to action- they gave him such a vanilla offewnse to run all year- throw 15-20 times a game.

The thing about big ben is that he always had a strong running game to aid him when he thrown into the fire. Today the offensive line couldn't open many holes for Mcgahee. Thus, making it more difficult for a young qb.

Comment

• justasportsfan
            • Jul 2002

I wonder if Spikes wishes he was back in Cincy.
            sacrifice1
            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Ebenezer
              Give me a minute...
              • Jul 2002

Roethlesberger- Forced in to action- they gave him such a vanilla offense to run all year- throw 15-20 times a game.

the tell tale sign of problems was the series on the 1-yard line...the calls should have been dive, dive, dive, punt...

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                Maybe?
                • Oct 2003

IMO, I think Ben is ultimately just a better QB than JP, which is why we weren't able to trade up to get him. He is special. Is JP special? Too early to tell but I think it's totally possible.

But I don't think there is any doubt about Ben. He has been winning consistenly since he stepped on the field and no matter how good the team is, if he wasn't that good it would have shown by now.

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
                  IMO, I think Ben is ultimately just a better QB than JP, which is why we weren't able to trade up to get him. He is special. Is JP special? Too early to tell but I think it's totally possible.

But I don't think there is any doubt about Ben. He has been winning consistenly since he stepped on the field and no matter how good the team is, if he wasn't that good it would have shown by now.
                  Put him on the Browns and I don't think he would be looking so "special"

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
                    • Jul 2002

If Tommy Maddox and Kordell Stewart can win with that team & system- almost anyone can.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                      Maybe?
                      • Oct 2003

Put him on the Browns and I don't think he would be looking so "special"
                      Put Montana, Favre, Marino or Kelly on a s**t team and they wouldn't be looking so special either. Moot point....

If Tommy Maddox and Kordell Stewart can win with that team & system- almost anyone can.
                      Different team, different system. Mularky and Clements are here now, not there coaching Ben. And even Kordell's probowl year wasn't as good as Ben's rookie year.

Regardless of the "system", he still has to make it work. They are 17-1. He is special.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                        Give me a minute...
                        • Jul 2002

Put Montana, Favre, Marino or Kelly on a s**t team and they wouldn't be looking so special either. Moot point....

Different team, different system. Mularky and Clements are here now, not there coaching Ben. And even Kordell's probowl year wasn't as good as Ben's rookie year.

Regardless of the "system", he still has to make it work. They are 17-1. He is special.
                        Stege Young looked like crap with the Bucs. Even in 4-12 and 7-8 Kelly never looked like crap with the Bills (over a long term basis)...you can't generalize.

Roelisberger is special...i just don't like the logic that some people have been using that because he is that JP will be...we got a long way to go with Losman.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                          Maybe?
                          • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                          Stege Young looked like crap with the Bucs. Even in 4-12 and 7-8 Kelly never looked like crap with the Bills (over a long term basis)...you can't generalize.

Roelisberger is special...i just don't like the logic that some people have been using that because he is that JP will be...we got a long way to go with Losman.
                          I never said JP "will" be special.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                            Give me a minute...
                            • Jul 2002

I never said JP "will" be special.
                            did I say you did?? i know a lot of people here and off the boards...don't tell me you haven't heard some say this kid is "special" or whatever positive adjective they want to use.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                              Maybe?
                              • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                              did I say you did?? i know a lot of people here and off the boards...don't tell me you haven't heard some say this kid is "special" or whatever positive adjective they want to use.
                              By quoting me and only me when you said that, you implied I did. If you are making a general statement, then you should say something like "not you specifically" in your post.

Comment

Working...
                              X