PDA

View Full Version : I wish we had Jeremy Shockey

PA Season Ticket Holder
01-05-2003, 04:35 PM
This guy was a steal in the middle of the 1st round for the Giants. Just think if we would've had him along with Moulds and Price this year? Friggin scary, man

This guy is better than Gonzalez and he is a rookie. Giants hit the jackpot with them.

lordofgun
01-05-2003, 04:47 PM
He's good, but I hate him.

PA Season Ticket Holder
01-05-2003, 04:49 PM
What makes you hate him?

Dudly Do-Right
01-05-2003, 04:52 PM
He's a total punk. Extremely cocky attitude.

TE version of Terrel Owens

lordofgun
01-05-2003, 04:52 PM
He's a jerk. Of course, I'd love him if he were a Bill though.

PA Season Ticket Holder
01-05-2003, 05:16 PM
I don't find anything wrong with the way they act. They get excited and play with emotion. Nothing wrong with that.

Mr. Miyagi
01-05-2003, 05:40 PM
He is a punk. And I don't know how accepted he would've been by the city and its fans. But on the other hand, he'd bring attitude to Buffalo, something as a team we've never had.

The Rams had it. The Bears had it. The Raiders have it. The Cowboys had it. With Shockey, we could've had it too.

colin
01-05-2003, 05:40 PM
Shokey is NOT better than Gonzales.

lordofgun
01-05-2003, 05:41 PM
I'm sick of all the Shockey hype.

Jeff1220
01-05-2003, 05:41 PM
Somewhere on espn.com, I read a funny quote that said something like this:

Although Jeremy Shockey has had a lot of early success, his attitude makes me want to give him two words to remember - Brian Bosworth!

SoCalBillsFan
01-05-2003, 05:44 PM
This thread is shocking

PA Season Ticket Holder
01-05-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by SoCalBillsFan
This thread is shocking

What's so shocking about it?

honey
01-05-2003, 05:52 PM
Shockey - shocking! :D

lordofgun
01-05-2003, 05:55 PM
HAHA! Shockey dropped a TD.

PA Season Ticket Holder
01-05-2003, 05:56 PM
I knew that was coming,lol

BambinoSux
01-05-2003, 05:59 PM
I don't mind Shockey's attitude because he plays hard all the time. I can see why people don't like Moss because he gives up but TO is the same way. They play hard all the time so why complain about it?

BTW I think 30 other teams wish they had Shockey too.

honey
01-05-2003, 06:09 PM
I think he's kind of cute.... :D

Jeff1220
01-05-2003, 06:24 PM
He's seems like a football version of John Rocker.

4thAndLong
01-05-2003, 06:41 PM
No, he's the football version of Anna Kournikova.

I wonder if Enrique Englasias is in the stands right now..

SABURZFAN
01-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by colin

he will be come next year.

Bert102176
01-05-2003, 07:11 PM
Shockey is tied for the best TE in all of the NFL with Gonzalez, we could have taken him but I like Big Mike , but Shockey is the TE and attitude our team needs.

Jeff1220
01-05-2003, 07:22 PM
A player like Shockey would be nice, but Big Mike is and was a bigger need, unless you think Kris Farris could do.

The Natrix
01-05-2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by colin

It is hard to say right now, but as long as he stays fairly healthy I think Shockey will be considered the better TE in the long run

as to him being a "punk," I completely agree, but so what? He is firey yes, but he is still a team player, and he doesn't seem to be a cancer at all.

Dozerdog
01-05-2003, 08:42 PM
I can't stand idiots who can't be professionals and good sports.

It's one thing to be cocky and confident. Brett Favre is cocky and confident, so was Jim Kelly.

But when guys act like A-holes they set a poor example. Owens nearly blew the gane twice for the 49ers today out of pure stupidity. It was only even higher stupidity out of Shaun Williams that saved the situation for San Fran.

If you want pure performance out of your football players, If winning is the only thing you want out of sports, then Shockey and Owens will be your guys.

If you want your kid to LEARN from sports- to know what perseverence is, to know what giving your best means, to learn how to never give up, to learn what the word TEAM is, and to learn sportsmanship, then keep your kids away from Owens and Shockey.

If you watched the NFL Films special on the comeback, listen to Frank Reich's words at the end. That's what I want out of my athletes. Role models to be proud of.

The_Philster
01-05-2003, 08:47 PM
:up: Dozer

The Natrix
01-05-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
winning is the only thing you want out of sports

I agree

Dozerdog
01-05-2003, 08:54 PM
Natrix-

Manipulating my post to make your argument? Weak

The Natrix
01-05-2003, 09:15 PM
Natrix-

make your argument

most of these players that you are bashing are young, so get used to it. It is going to be a continuing trend.

I think it is pathetic to rely on athletes (and as you make it sound: all athletes) to be role models for your kids. Actually, I would argue that it is just fine for kids to see the actions of Shockey and TO. It teaches them to be themselves.

When you are at a Bills game, what does every single fan do when the Bills score or make some other great play? They cheer, gloat...whatever. It is just simply absurd to expect the players not to feed off of their energy.

how can you expect the fans to go crazy, and at the same time expect the players to be robots and simply hand the ball to the official?

Mr. Miyagi
01-05-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by 4thAndLong
No, he's the football version of Anna Kournikova.
What are you smoking?

And honey, you think Shockey is cute???

He looks like a trailer trash to me.

The Natrix
01-05-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by BillsFanStuckInWisc

He looks like a trailer trash to me.

pathetic comment

BTW, I think 4th is referring to a comment that someone involved with the Giants made.

BillC
01-05-2003, 09:49 PM
Well, Nate-

If you want to blame "youth" for acting like an ass, then it looks like you have your built in excuse.

Mike Williams and Josh Reed are young. You don't see them acting stupid (like Shocky tossing ice into the SF crowd eariler)

Charles Barkley wasn't a spring chicken when he spit on a little girl in NJ a few years back. He did admit it was an "accident" - he meant to spit on someone else.

It's people acting like jerks. If you want to support jerks, be my guest. It's your life.

Tatonka
01-05-2003, 10:00 PM
funny.. some people want shockey's attitude.. but peerless prices attitude makes him and a-hole.

The Natrix
01-05-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by BillC
Well, Nate-

If you want to blame "youth" for acting like an ass, then it looks like you have your built in excuse.

Mike Williams and Josh Reed are young. You don't see them acting stupid (like Shocky tossing ice into the SF crowd eariler)

Charles Barkley wasn't a spring chicken when he spit on a little girl in NJ a few years back. He did admit it was an "accident" - he meant to spit on someone else.

It's people acting like jerks. If you want to support jerks, be my guest. It's your life.

I am not blaming it on youth I am just saying that this "behavior" is part of todays NFL game. Players that were young when you were a young buck back in Arkansas, did not exhibit this "behavior" as much. If you don't like it, go watch some curling.

Yes, Mike Williams and Josh Reed are low-key. But what is your point? Last time I checked, people are diverse and display different emotions. I think it is great to have players like them, but I also think it is nice to have players like Peerless and Clements

BTW, the San Fran fans were taunting him. Give the whole story there Slick Willy.

The Natrix
01-05-2003, 10:03 PM
BTW, is the 11 year old boy okay? I hope he can pull through after having a litlle ice water thrown on him. LOL.

Dozerdog
01-05-2003, 10:07 PM
I didn't express these views about all athletes, Natrix. I just pointed out two.

BillC hit it on the head.

LtBillsFan66
01-05-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
funny.. some people want shockey's attitude.. but peerless prices attitude makes him and a-hole.

Great point.

Tatonka
01-05-2003, 10:22 PM
i thought so too:bravo:

lordofgun
01-05-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
i thought so too:bravo:

me too. you win 5000 of my zonebucks.

Tatonka
01-05-2003, 10:36 PM
can i use my zone bucks to help buy free agents? i will give TD a call tomorrow morning to find out, and get on to the negotiations =)

Ð
01-06-2003, 02:17 AM
A first-rounder on a TE ? :rofl:

lordofgun
01-06-2003, 09:49 AM
Shockey's gonna have a lot of people taking cheap shots at him because of his attitude. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets injured a lot.

DraftBoy
01-06-2003, 10:23 AM
its all part of the game, as we all know the game evloves as the years pass by. It used to be a running game was the key to success, now teams are more adapt to putting it up top for the big play. Just as the game evolves so do the actions of its players. As the game becomes more popular and players realize they have more people supporting them, then they feel as though they must do more to excite the crowd and energize the team. Actions speak louder than words. So TO's signature ball, or pom-pom prance are just two examples of him trying to energize his team, call it what you will, showboating, being cocky, being an ass, call him what you will, a-hole, best WR in football. The fact still remains trash talking and celebration are now part of the game, and will continue to get worse, or if your like me, get better and help me enjoy the game more. If you dont like it simply stop watching.

4thAndLong
01-06-2003, 10:29 AM
BFSIW....

Shockey's agent wanted to be him the Anna Kournikova of football.

ArcticWildMan
01-06-2003, 10:32 AM
Shockey never showed up for a radio show he was supposed to be on every week so the station cut him from the show. Sounds like he's building a stellar resume already :rolleyes:

Dozerdog
01-06-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Winfield_26
its all part of the game, as we all know the game evloves as the years pass by. It used to be a running game was the key to success, now teams are more adapt to putting it up top for the big play. Just as the game evolves so do the actions of its players. As the game becomes more popular and players realize they have more people supporting them, then they feel as though they must do more to excite the crowd and energize the team. Actions speak louder than words. So TO's signature ball, or pom-pom prance are just two examples of him trying to energize his team, call it what you will, showboating, being cocky, being an ass, call him what you will, a-hole, best WR in football. The fact still remains trash talking and celebration are now part of the game, and will continue to get worse, or if your like me, get better and help me enjoy the game more. If you dont like it simply stop watching.

With Terell, it's not thew pom pom thing or the Sharpie thing- that stuff is creative and funny. The NFL should secretly market that stuff.

It's the bull**** at the end of yesterday's game. Taunting after your team rallies from 24 points down. If the Giants failed to retaliate, and on the ensuing play wiith Owen's cheap shot out of bounds, the 49ers could have been kicking off from their 10 instead of the 30. That would have cost them the game.

And Owens' nonsense in Dallas a few years back. Just act professional. Jimmy "White Shoes" Johnson was as flamboyant as they came, but he never rubbed it in to the opponent. It's not professional.

Tatonka
01-06-2003, 10:52 AM
I also notice that if a Offensive player taunts are acts crazy, he is stupid... acting like an ass... inmature

if a defensive player does it.. it is much more accepted. he is firey... playing with attitude, blah blah blah.

i would take shockey.

i dont mind price.

i also like moulds too, who never really taunts at all.

justasportsfan
01-06-2003, 11:12 AM
Gilbride wouldn't have used Shockey anyways. We have two decent TE's and yet they weren't used.

Cocky players that play for the bills are okay, anyone else are just asses. :D

Dozerdog
01-06-2003, 11:18 AM
Defenders aren't excused either. Mark Gastineau was an ass. Sapp is one to. You can be fired up and be demonstrative on the field (Like Bruce Smith and Cornelius Bennett were) without getting into the opposing player's grill.

ArcticWildMan
01-06-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
Gilbride wouldn't have used Shockey anyways. We have two decent TE's and yet they weren't used.

If I was the OC, I wouldn't have thrown to Jay either. He drops too many passes for a multi million dollar man. Moore was hurt half the season, so he never got into the flow.

PA Season Ticket Holder
01-06-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun

me too. you win 5000 of my zonebucks.

It's too late to win the most gererous award. I think NBF has that wrapped up :beers:

I didn't know LOG was so generous,lol

PA Season Ticket Holder
01-06-2003, 01:55 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by justasportsfan
[B]Gilbride wouldn't have used Shockey anyways. We have two decent TE's and yet they weren't used.

If we had somebody with the skills as Shockey at TE we'd be throwing to them a lot more.

lordofgun
01-06-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by PA Season Ticket Holder

It's too late to win the most gererous award. I think NBF has that wrapped up :beers:

I didn't know LOG was so generous,lol

It was temporary insanity.

PA Season Ticket Holder
01-06-2003, 03:26 PM

It was temporary insanity.

It must be the fumes from the diapers.

Tatonka
01-06-2003, 04:11 PM
i like sapp.. i would take him in a second.

DraftBoy
01-07-2003, 09:57 AM

With Terell, it's not thew pom pom thing or the Sharpie thing- that stuff is creative and funny. The NFL should secretly market that stuff.

It's the bull**** at the end of yesterday's game. Taunting after your team rallies from 24 points down. If the Giants failed to retaliate, and on the ensuing play wiith Owen's cheap shot out of bounds, the 49ers could have been kicking off from their 10 instead of the 30. That would have cost them the game.

And Owens' nonsense in Dallas a few years back. Just act professional. Jimmy "White Shoes" Johnson was as flamboyant as they came, but he never rubbed it in to the opponent. It's not professional.

Dozer wether you like it or not, the game is going to become more and more like this, with intense taunting of the other team, if you havenbt recently then I highly recommend going to a couple of your local high school's football or basketball games. You think the NFL is bad, take a look at these kids. You get anything from the sharpie incident to giving the QB the finger after a sack. In the basketballl game you get the usual finger wave. There is more trash talking, and taunting then ever in high school sports than ever before. This is the future of the NFL. These kids are going to college and then going to the pros so like it or not its coming. I do agree that TO's sharpie and pom-pom things should be marketed, but I dont agree with your disliking of the ball in the middle of Dallas Star. I have never seen anything so creative or funny in football. I also agree with the Cowboys retaliating like they did by hitting when he tried to do it again. Its all part of the game. I hate it when I hear people call this league the No Fun League.

Earthquake Enyart
01-07-2003, 10:19 AM
Either you should be allowed one cheap shot on any of these hot dogs, or you get your 8th LB to go and smash him and get thrown out of the game. All these guys who taunt should get the crap kicked out of them. That's the only way to stop it.

Jeff1220
01-07-2003, 11:39 AM

Dozer wether you like it or not, the game is going to become more and more like this, with intense taunting of the other team, if you havenbt recently then I highly recommend going to a couple of your local high school's football or basketball games. You think the NFL is bad, take a look at these kids. You get anything from the sharpie incident to giving the QB the finger after a sack. In the basketballl game you get the usual finger wave. There is more trash talking, and taunting then ever in high school sports than ever before. This is the future of the NFL. These kids are going to college and then going to the pros so like it or not its coming.

And where do you think these HS kids get it from? They get it from idiots in the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc, who can't act like professional, adult athletes. Basically, like anything, it all starts with parenting. You have to teach your kids which athletes they should WANT to be like.

DraftBoy
01-07-2003, 01:32 PM
Your gonna tell a 7-10 year old kid who to like and not like? I think showboating is just part of sports and nothing done to this point in modern times has proven me diffrent. I have not seen a death or any other type of bad thing happen to a pro athlete just b/c he did a little dance or wagged a finger. Just because you dont like it doesnt mean its bad.

lordofgun
01-07-2003, 01:34 PM
Your gonna tell a 7-10 year old kid who to like and not like?

Exactly. It's called parenting.

DraftBoy
01-07-2003, 01:41 PM
7-10 year old, gonna listen to there parents for ohh say 3 more years till they learn to say only what there parents wanna hear and choose to make there own decisions and still yet be influenced by what a player does. its called being a kid and learning.

lordofgun
01-07-2003, 01:43 PM
Someone's gotta teach in order for kids to learn. You can't just throw up your hands and say "Oh well! They'll do what they want anyway, so no point in trying!"

Jeff1220
01-07-2003, 09:12 PM
Someone's gotta teach in order for kids to learn. You can't just throw up your hands and say "Oh well! They'll do what they want anyway, so no point in trying!"

Exactly LOG! People have forgotten what parenting is - that's one of the biggest problems today.

I also think that you can pick out the parents on this thread from the non-parents pretty easily.

DraftBoy
01-08-2003, 08:40 PM
Are you all seriously trying to blame piss poor sportmanship on bad parenting? I mean, I agree parenting sucks, but to blame showboating on it isnt a solution. I dont think I ever wanna hear anybody say "See that Terrel Owens boy's momma didnt do a good job"Parenting is a job done to give young impressionable children a stable structure on to which believe, and learn from. No child I know is taught not to be a good sportsman. But as you grow you learn things away from your parents eyes that are beyond the parental control. I know from age that as I grow on and away from my parents I continue to grow and mature in my mind I learn to believe and like diffrent things even if it differs from their view. It all can all simply be broken down into tastes of food, my dad loves green beans, and used to make me eat them when i was younger to grow as he said an aquired taste, I now hate Green Beans and he loves them. I learned this as I grew older and now dont eat them the same principle applies to this situation, You can tell your kid all you want when hes young that this type of play is bad but as he grows up and away you can no longer control him or his actions. The parenting issue is not an issue b/c parents can only raise kids from birth-14 after that kids grow up on theirselves to form their own ideas and learn their dislikes and likes.

Cntrygal
01-08-2003, 08:48 PM
From what I understand... T.O.'s mother and father didn't parent at all. He grew up with his grandmother. His father even lived across the street from him and didn't have anything to do with him.

Dozerdog
01-08-2003, 09:32 PM

Dozer wether you like it or not, the game is going to become more and more like this, with intense taunting of the other team, if you havenbt recently then I highly recommend going to a couple of your local high school's football or basketball games. You think the NFL is bad, take a look at these kids. You get anything from the sharpie incident to giving the QB the finger after a sack. In the basketballl game you get the usual finger wave. There is more trash talking, and taunting then ever in high school sports than ever before. This is the future of the NFL. These kids are going to college and then going to the pros so like it or not its coming. I do agree that TO's sharpie and pom-pom things should be marketed, but I dont agree with your disliking of the ball in the middle of Dallas Star. I have never seen anything so creative or funny in football. I also agree with the Cowboys retaliating like they did by hitting when he tried to do it again. Its all part of the game. I hate it when I hear people call this league the No Fun League.

Your gonna tell a 7-10 year old kid who to like and not like? I think showboating is just part of sports and nothing done to this point in modern times has proven me diffrent. I have not seen a death or any other type of bad thing happen to a pro athlete just b/c he did a little dance or wagged a finger. Just because you dont like it doesnt mean its bad.

7-10 year old, gonna listen to there parents for ohh say 3 more years till they learn to say only what there parents wanna hear and choose to make there own decisions and still yet be influenced by what a player does. its called being a kid and learning.

We got this ex-marine in town who is the head coach of the Pee-wee team and is also a coach on the Agawam HS football team.

He had this 10 year old running back that was plowing through every team. Looked like a mini-Earl Campbell. Would drag 4 kids into the end zone. He showboated in the 2nd or 3rd game of the year and he sat the rest of the game. Coach wasn't to pleased.
He even made the kid go to the other sideline at the half and apologize tot he otehr team and coach. He does the same at the HS.

His thing is teaching sportsmanship and fun, not to humiliate the opposition.

Did you see the Harlem Baseball coach at the Little league world series? He threatened to send his best player packing back to NY early when this kid taunted the opposing team. We need more of these guys teaching sports fundamentals to the kids.

Dozerdog
01-08-2003, 09:33 PM
I'm not against being expressive on the field.

Celebrate all you want. Just respect your opponent.

BE PROFESSIONAL! if you are collecting a paycheck!

Jeff1220
01-08-2003, 09:41 PM
I think that throwing ice at a young boy is beyond bad sportsmanship. Butt, yes, good sportsmanship can be taught.
Also, if you are the right kind of parent, you will have an impression on your children long into their adolecence, teens, and adulthood.

DraftBoy
01-10-2003, 03:08 PM
I still say blaming poor sportsmanship on bad parenting is a reach beyond fathomable abilities. I completely disagreed with the Harlem Little League world series coach and thought that his yelling at the children was uncalled for as the little boys celebration wasnt at all bad. I belive as it was reported Shockley just threw the ice behind him with no intention of hitting anyone impeticular, if anybody at all. The Ex-Marine coach needs to get a sense of humor simple showboating is gonna be part of the game whether he likes it or not, I dont care for his discipline decisions. If it was my boy he sat I would be up in his face about it immediately after the game. Showboating is part of the game whether you like it or not, and no matter how many fines the NFL can levy, they cannot stop it. You said yourself showboat but be respectful. I say screw respectful when you see a guy showboat on the other team it builds a fire in your gut to go out and win and prove that guy wrong. It also fires up that persons team and just turns he game into more of a grudge match. Its adds a certain spice or flare to the game that can only be brought to it by that. I agree whole heartily though that the Shockley ice throwing goes beyond showboating and goes into intent to injure, although I still maintain I dont think he meant for it to hit anybody.