PDA

View Full Version : Tired of the hype

Lexwhat
09-18-2005, 09:53 PM
Well, I've been doing some thinking about this game and its associated comments. It seems to me that theres some people that get caught up on what players and other posters say, and start to believe in some type of "hype." Now, I'm not calling myself an expert, but I think theres some things that people are missing:

1. The Bills defense did NOT play bad. The fact of the matter is they allowed only 7 points in the 1st half. So they gave up a lot of yards, they bent but didn't break. In the 2nd half, we gave up a total of 10 points. Giving up 17 points to a decent offense in Tampa in 100 degree "heat index" weather? I cant be mad at that. Cadillac is going to be a superstar, it seems. I think we're EXPECTING way too much from our defense. How much better could they have done? Allowed 13 points instead of 17? It wouldnt have made a difference, our offense is simply not ready to take that next step yet.

I challenge any poster here to tell me a defense that would have given up 17 points on the road to these Bucs with the way the time of possession was? You all saw what happened to the Eagles when they were missing their MLB Trotter for the Atlanta game. Given the circumstances, our defense played well. Not great, but played well. Fletcher is the QB of our defense, and he makes everyone around him better. There were plenty of opportunties for our offense - and if the offense cant score, NO team in the NFL can win. Sadly, our offense gave up nearly as many points (2) as it scored (3).

If I find one thing to be mad about, it's that they didnt generate any turnovers. Yes, there was missed tackling. But everyone here is smart enough to know that POINTS wins and loses games. "17, thats all."

2. JP Losman did not play well. I think he was lucky as hell that he had more potential interceptions that were dropped again this week. I counted 3 passes in the hands of Bucs players, including 2 where they Bucs defensive player would have strolled into the end zone.

Moreover, JP was erratic on several passes. I saw more than a few instances of where WRs were in positions to catch the ball but had poor balls thrown to them. Now, am I saying that JP sucks? No way. These are simply the "lumps" that he is taking, as long as he is aware he did not play well and works to improve things, then I can't be mad. JP is a hard-worker, I'm sure he's aware that a lot of work remains.

By the way, I'm not saying it was all JPs fault, our receivers weren't great either. I'm just telling it how it is. JP needs work and we all hope he will improve.

3. I'm the most sick and tired of comments on Willis. Not everyone says this, but I can't believe the number of people that blame the offensive line for his poor running. The fact is, he wasnt hitting the holes hard, and he wasnt wearing down the opposing defense. He was dancing around way too much. It's true, the O-Line WAS NOT GREAT. They were average. JP WAS GETTING TIME TO THROW. It was not as if the Bucs pass rush was relentless. But the point I'm trying to make is, Willis is supposed to be considered a SUPERSTAR. Or at least a stud. If he can't make something out of nothing, then he is NOT a superstar. And don't tell me that no one said Willis is a star in this league. There are plenty of people here that say he's 2nd best RB in the NFL behind LT. Or at least top 5. You can tell a runner is great if he can do special things. Personally, I have not seen that against tough teams. Again, not calling myself an expert, but I'm also not basing my knowledge on hype. Willis is good, but he MUST improve.

It's funny that Willis gets excuses about poor O-Line play while other positions dont get such excuses. Willis is what he is at this point. Not a superstar yet. It may seem convienent that I am saying this now, after a bad game, but let's see how he does against the Bengals or Panthers this year. Or even the Chiefs. If he is great in those games, I will gladly eat my words. So far, my conclusion is that Willis doesn't step up in road games.

If it continues like this, I say we let Willis go and invest our money in 2 stud offensive guards. With a great O-Line, the RB position sometimes takes care of itself, as does the passing game.

Anyways, thats enough for now. Not bashing anyone in this post, just tryin to open up some key points.

Dozerdog
09-18-2005, 09:55 PM
Great post!!!

Dozerdog
09-18-2005, 09:59 PM
What it came down too is this- the Bucs beat us with what our own game should have been.

Run the ball, don't turn it over, play field position.

OpIv37
09-18-2005, 10:02 PM
1. The Bills defense did NOT play bad. The fact of the matter is they allowed only 7 points in the 1st half. So they gave up a lot of yards, they bent but didn't break. In the 2nd half, we gave up a total of 10 points. Giving up 17 points to a decent offense in Tampa in 100 degree "heat index" weather? I cant be mad at that. Cadillac is going to be a superstar, it seems. I think we're EXPECTING way too much from our defense. How much better could they have done? Allowed 13 points instead of 17? It wouldnt have made a difference, our offense is simply not ready to take that next step yet.

I challenge any poster here to tell me a defense that would have given up 17 points on the road to these Bucs with the way the time of possession was? You all saw what happened to the Eagles when they were missing their MLB Trotter for the Atlanta game. Given the circumstances, our defense played well. Not great, but played well. Fletcher is the QB of our defense, and he makes everyone around him better. There were plenty of opportunties for our offense - and if the offense cant score, NO team in the NFL can win. Sadly, our offense gave up nearly as many points (2) as it scored (3).

If I find one thing to be mad about, it's that they didnt generate any turnovers. Yes, there was missed tackling. But everyone here is smart enough to know that POINTS wins and loses games. "17, thats all."

One thing- they gave up 150 rushing yards to a damn rookie. That's AWFUL. And yards don't win games, but their inability to stop him kept them on the field longer and made it more difficult to play in the 100 degree heat. The offense didn't do their part, but a few stops certainly would have helped the D keep their legs fresh.

Dozerdog
09-18-2005, 10:05 PM
One thing- they gave up 150 rushing yards to a damn rookie. That's AWFUL. And yards don't win games, but their inability to stop him kept them on the field longer and made it more difficult to play in the 100 degree heat. The offense didn't do their part, but a few stops certainly would have helped the D keep their legs fresh.What's the fixation on Cadillac being a rookie?

Running backs probably have the shortest learning curve in football (next tto kickers)

All they have to do is show up in shape. Rookie RBs (especially day 1 picks) have a history of success.

TedSalami
09-18-2005, 10:09 PM
Part one of that first post was great. Buffalo never does well when having to come down into the heat.
Willis just does not look like the Willis that played down here. It looks like the brain trust wants to make him a battering ram. When he was a Hurricane it was his speed and breakaway ability that made him scary.
I do not think he has his full ability back yet and he may never get it back. That might be the reason for the change in his style.

OpIv37
09-18-2005, 10:13 PM
What's the fixation on Cadillac being a rookie?

Running backs probably have the shortest learning curve in football (next tto kickers)

All they have to do is show up in shape. Rookie RBs (especially day 1 picks) have a history of success.

in their second game against what's supposed to be the best defense in the league? I don't buy it- he flat out embarrassed us.

Dozerdog
09-18-2005, 10:17 PM
in their second game against what's supposed to be the best defense in the league? I don't buy it- he flat out embarrassed us.Yes- he gained a ton of yards. What does beiong a rookie have to do with it?

jmb1099
09-18-2005, 10:27 PM
The irony is that last year at this time we were 0-2. Difficult to beat a team in their home opener coming off a big win. Still, we played like we didn't want it and that is inexcuseable.

Lexwhat
09-18-2005, 10:44 PM
One thing- they gave up 150 rushing yards to a damn rookie. That's AWFUL. And yards don't win games, but their inability to stop him kept them on the field longer and made it more difficult to play in the 100 degree heat. The offense didn't do their part, but a few stops certainly would have helped the D keep their legs fresh.

That is true. But I think Cadillac got around 130 yards, and an average of about 5 yards per rush. And the man only got into the end zone once. The Bucs as a team got 191 yards rushing on 40 carries! My point in "section 1" was that even after all that yardage given up, how much better could our defense have done to make a difference on the Scoreboard and how many more chances could they have given our offense a chance to win? As I said, the sore spot was no turnovers, but the Bucs punted 6 times. Not too bad. Even now that I think about it, the outcome might not have been much different even if we DID get turnovers. As far as I remember, we only made it into the red zone twice.

To put it into perspective, the Jets gave up 198 yards rushing on 34 carries to the Chiefs last week. The Bills gave up 10 fewer points, in the sweltering heat to the Bucs. The Jets gave up 27 points, and we gave up 17. It is a team game, but give our defense credit. Does anyone remember how many yards great defenses give up? At least I don't. I think our defense gave our offense plenty of opportunities, and our offense didn't capitalize, for various reasons.

Lexwhat
09-18-2005, 11:19 PM
Part one of that first post was great. Buffalo never does well when having to come down into the heat.
Willis just does not look like the Willis that played down here. It looks like the brain trust wants to make him a battering ram. When he was a Hurricane it was his speed and breakaway ability that made him scary.
I do not think he has his full ability back yet and he may never get it back. That might be the reason for the change in his style.

Sadly, the "he may never get it back" part could be true. I'm glad to see that Willis is being held accountable for his play. He's a running back first round pick, and should be playing like one. Where's his pass catching ability? A guy like him should be a triple threat with rushing, blocking, and receiving. I admit, I havent noticed much about his blocking. But his receiving is nothing special, IMO.

This is not a "bash Willis" thread. I just think our O-Line takes too much blame. We have what we have as far as players on our roster go, and we better start improving as an offense or else we are not going very far.

HAMMER
09-19-2005, 02:37 AM
What it came down too is this- the Bucs beat us with what our own game should have been.

Run the ball, don't turn it over, play field position.
That about sums it up , oh yeah, they beat us down.

Typ0
09-19-2005, 02:53 AM
I have no complaints about their defense....but our offense was totally inept yesterday. When the defense can't get off the field and the offense has trouble even getting a first down...you're screwed in this league.

Mahdi
09-19-2005, 03:10 AM
Obviously our defense didnt play great....but when the offense is not picking up first downs and giving them a chance to rest they are going to get worn down, especially in the heat. Meanwhile Tampa was able to pick up a few first downs here and there and give their D some rest, even if they werent scoring points.

Captain gameboy
09-19-2005, 05:11 AM
I don't think Williams status as a rookie means anything, unless pass protection and receiving issues are discussed, which weren't factors at all.
Running like he did is pure desire and natural ability.

I'm also glad there is a degree of reality being entered into the McGahee thing. I don't think he is running well at all, and I don't think its all line oriented. He goes down on first contact far too much, and he does not look quick or fast, just strong.
Right now, he is not a first tier back in my view. Better than TH, but not worth a fortune.

Historian
09-19-2005, 07:00 AM
Obviously our defense didnt play great....but when the offense is not picking up first downs and giving them a chance to rest they are going to get worn down, especially in the heat. Meanwhile Tampa was able to pick up a few first downs here and there and give their D some rest, even if they werent scoring points.

Exactly. You can't expect them to be out there for 10 minutes a period, and stay fresh when it's 90.

Then there's the Tampa curse. We simply play ****ty there. Even Jim Kelly had bad days in Tampa...back when they wore the tangerine unifoms with the gay pirate on the helmet.

mybills
09-19-2005, 07:10 AM
We had a sloppy win last week and a sloppy loss this week. I hope they clean up their chit soon. :ill:

BAM
09-19-2005, 11:56 AM
I don't think Williams status as a rookie means anything,
It doesn't. He's nasty.

colin
09-19-2005, 12:22 PM
good points.

i'll add that willis is more effective against the fast Ds with a direct off tackle and off guard running plays, we had too many draws and he did too much dancing.

we need to blitz more on D too, altho i think we were not ready to have london off the field so we played on our heels